ROW, ROW, FIGHT THE POWAH!!! Gurren Lagann complete simulwatch

Neil.T

Idolm@ster
Gurren Lagann is a 2007 TV anime series by legendary animation studio Gainax. Written by playwright Kazuki Nakashima and directed by the ever-irrepressible Hiroyuki Imaishi, Gurren Lagann is a full-throttle action series that's never knowingly undersold! Imaishi and Nakashima, at a new studio, Trigger, would go on to make more mental fan-favourite action epics in Kill la Kill and Promare.

OIP.rHWGhtKboEwVg-C1O8hSBwHaKh

Gurren Lagann key art with the series' Japanese logo

From MyAnimeList:

Synopsis
Simon and Kamina were born and raised in a deep, underground village, hidden from the fabled surface. Kamina is a free-spirited loose cannon bent on making a name for himself, while Simon is a timid young boy with no real aspirations. One day while excavating the earth, Simon stumbles upon a mysterious object that turns out to be the ignition key to an ancient artifact of war, which the duo dubs Lagann. Using their new weapon, Simon and Kamina fend off a surprise attack from the surface with the help of Yoko Littner, a hot-blooded redhead wielding a massive gun who wanders the world above.

In the aftermath of the battle, the sky is now in plain view, prompting Simon and Kamina to set off on a journey alongside Yoko to explore the wastelands of the surface. Soon, they join the fight against the "Beastmen," humanoid creatures that terrorize the remnants of humanity in powerful robots called "Gunmen." Although they face some challenges and setbacks, the trio bravely fights these new enemies alongside other survivors to reclaim the surface, while slowly unraveling a galaxy-sized mystery.

Background
Gurren Lagann received widespread critical acclaim since its release. The series received an Excellence Prize at the 2007 Japan Media Arts Festival. Its director Hiroyuki Imaishi received an individual award for "Personal Best" at the 12th Animation Kobe Festival that same year for his work on the series.

In 2008, during the 7th annual Tokyo Anime Awards held at the Tokyo International Anime Fair,
Gurren Lagann won the "Best Television Production" award. In addition, the "Best Character Design" award was given to the character designer Atsushi Nishigori for his work on the anime.

Now, this simulwatch doesn't go around calling itself the complete Gurren Lagann simulwatch for no good reason. Oh no, just like Kamina, this simulwatch intends to back up its boasting! This simulwatch includes everything included on Anime Limited's UK home video release of the series.

That's right, in this simulwatch, we'll get to see all 27 episodes of the TV series (yes, "including the recap episode"), the compilation movies Childhood's End and The Lights in the Sky are Stars, and the 14 Parallel Works short animations included with the movie discs. You'll even have the chance to watch the censored TV edit of episode 6 if you want to be a real completist! 😛

In true AUKN simulwatch tradition, we'll be watching at an easy pace of just an episode a day to allow ample time for discussion. The full schedule is shown in the table below.

EpisodeDate
1Mar 26
2Mar 27
3Mar 28
4Mar 29
5Mar 30
6 (TV edit)Mar 31
6 (home video edit)Apr 1
7Apr 2
8Apr 3
9Apr 4
10Apr 5
11Apr 6
12Apr 7
13Apr 8
14Apr 9
15Apr 10
16 (recap episode)Apr 11
17Apr 12
18Apr 13
19Apr 14
20Apr 15
21Apr 16
22Apr 17
23Apr 18
24Apr 19
25Apr 20
26Apr 21
27Apr 22
Movie 1Apr 24
Movie 2Apr 25
Parallel Works 1–4Apr 26
Parallel Works 5–7Apr 27
Parallel Works 8–11Apr 28
Parallel Works 12–14Apr 29

Gurren Lagann is available on UK DVD (including the TV series, movies and Parallel Works) and Blu-ray (TV series only) from distributor Anime Limited. A separate Blu-ray set containing the movies and Parallel Works exists but is currently out of print.

The TV series is also streaming (dubbed in English) for free on All4:

After all that talk, it's time for some action. So adjust those sunglasses, hang on to your cape and keep your sword by your side, folks. This one's gonna be a blast!

All together now: "Who the hell do you think I AM??!"

🔥🌋🔥🌋🔥🌋🔥🌋🔥🌋🔥

To jump straight to the start of the discussion, beginning with episode 1, go HERE.

Last edited:
I watched it in dub last time I think, so sub this time. I can't really watch dubs anymore though, personal thing I guess, but I often find the VA's sound too American. Even Princess Principal used American VA's and that was set in the UK! Just sounded like American people putting on British accents! 🤣

Oh and the lip-sync!

Nice to get a different set of voices though, will make the rewatch a little different for me.

GL and KLK dubs were both fairly serviceable though at least from what I remember. Next watch I do of KLK would be sub which I wanted to do sometime.

GL and KLK dubs were both fairly serviceable though at least from what I remember. Next watch I do of KLK would be sub which I wanted to do sometime.
I'll be watching subbed for GL as I've seen dubbed, but the only option was subs for KLK and they weren't the best, so I had to concentrate on them even more than usual and thus missed some of the action and you want to see Trigger stuff in motion, so the next watch will be dubbed for me.

I'll be watching subbed for GL as I've seen dubbed, but the only option was subs for KLK and they weren't the best, so I had to concentrate on them even more than usual and thus missed some of the action and you want to see Trigger stuff in motion, so the next watch will be dubbed for me.

That's true, it's a double edged sword!

Back