Revenge of the Simulwatch!

I'd probably try to take part regardless of what is chosen but I'll maybe be somewhat picky with my votes to try and support the shows I'd be more keen to try. I'm hoping that's acceptably within the spirit of things.

Simulwatch could be interesting, I think Free and Squid Girl might be a little, how you say, not so worthwhile in this case. Like, I dunno if they'd provide the same space for conversation that Lain or Haibane Renmei would? Not to say they are bad, simply that they are very "light" shows.

Speaking of which, why Haibane Renmei? Didn't we do that one before?

Also Gankutsuou is worth checking out if you haven't seen it before, Prof. It's nicely animated for a mid-2000s anime - though you might get less out of it if you're familiar with The Count of Monte Cristo already?
I actually had quite a few thoughts about Free, although much of it was probably technically my own thoughts about where the show could have gone if it had larger dramatic ambitions rather than being directly about the show itself.

It might be interesting to try Squid Girl and see what discussions people can come up with, sometimes the obvious answers aren't the only good ones.

That said, I do think that some shows can be something of a personal experience and that doesn't necessarily translate well into discussion. It's not always easy to put those kinds of feelings into words and different people can have such different experiences anyway. Still, maybe something with less discussion and more sharing of feelings wouldn't be so bad (though there's still that "difficult to put into words" aspect).

Regarding Haibane Renmei, there was a simulwatch (spoilers in the thread, of course) of that in the past but there are newer people on the forum, people that haven't seen it and so on. There was also a Kino's Journey simulwatch (spoilers again). Both are pretty great shows with plenty of room for discussion so I don't think it'd be a problem to have new threads for each (it might also be interesting to see if people who were involved in the previous simulwatch have different feelings in a new simulwatch).

My votes are in, only voted for like 11-12 shows or something like that. I think it's a nicely rounded list with pretty-much something of interest to discuss about with each in their own right. There are one or two I'm really hoping crops up which I'll leave a secret for when the final results are, but I'm happy enough to watch anything that crops up apart from two of non-streaming shows for obvious reasons.

Starting or waiting for Squid Girl to win are both fine with me (although waiting for Squid Girl to win didn't work out quite so well in the Character Battle, sadly).

I'm surprised Chihayafuru did so well to be joint second place, thought it was a bit niche to be popular.

What day are we starting Ping Pong?

I'm open to suggestions but no one said anything when I asked if we should start this week, and it will have been a week since then on Wednesday.

I'm fine to start on Wednesday but happy to wait if people need some time. We should probably get a separate thread set up either way.

Back