Resident Evil 5(will no doubt contain spoilers)

Arbalest

黒い剣士
Now, i'm not sure how many people have been after this like myself, but i thought it interesting to start a topic on it(though i'm sure there used to be one way back when). I've put that there will be spoilers as well, since i'm gonna mention a lot from previous games as well as some things that have been discovered from the demo and such for Resi 5 as well.

Anywho, i've been following REhorror as its been keeping up to date with all the info collected on it, and i've not really been this desperate to get a game in a long while. The demo for the 360 is set for release outside of japan on Friday, so we should be able to get a go on it from then. I think the PS3 demo is due out on the 5th of Febuary, but i'll need to double check that.

The main site has set up a couple of things they deem "Viral Marketing", basically different ways to advertise the game. One of which is Kijuju -> www.residentevil.com/5/kijuju it only updated itself again today so there is two live action videos both featuring Chris. The other is a faux blog they set up known as Experience Kijuju which is written by a worker called Adam working in Kijuju and what he has been witnessing. It includes several mentions of the Blonde women seen in a couple of trailers, no mention of a name yet though.

As for storyline, there has been a lot of speculation as to who is who, bar the obvious. People originally thought Sherry was in it, but a lot of people now suspectJill Valentine, even though we've seen her grave in many pictures. The demo was also apparently hacked into and they got all the VA's, weapons and bosses named down, but i won't mention them unless people want me too.

Ok the demo isn't released here until Friday at least, but it'll be interesting to see what people think of the above advertising and the game in general, and speculation on whats coming as well.

Last edited by a moderator:
OK, i'm gonna update this anyways, even if people aren't interested =p

I was wrong about the demo anyway, its out on the 26th, We got the "playing god" trailer yesterday, which shows a lot including Right at the end, Jill's grave, There was a lot of small second flashbacks as well during a small part of it, i couldn't make out much from it, but it does make me wonder what happened in the time gap since the last game chris was in anyway.

I've been trying really hard not to get excited about this game, as I only have a wii and there's no definite on a wii version of resi 5 yet :(
However, I've just had a look at the trailers and wow, it looks amazing doesn't it? Good to see Wesker back.
I've just completed Umbrella Chronicles and that had some interesting back story in it, but yeah you're right, it will be very interesting to see what has happened in the time gap. Umbrella Chronicles shows Chris and Jill alive and well in 2003 at a Russian Umbrella Facility. I wonder what's gone on since then?

The story of Resident Evil largely means nothing to me because I have ony played the 4th one. Nevertheless, I absolutely cannot wait for Resi 5. I'm a bit disapointed that Capcom caved into the asinine complaints of "racism", but that hardly impacts the game at all. Just a question for those in the know: Should I watch the recent Resi CGI movie in preparation for Resi 5?

well if you're interested, the "Playing God" Trailer is available in HD on Gametrailers and it shows a variety of things to expect, including the surprise right at the end of the trailer. I expect a lot more on what is in the game will be mentioned next month when the beta comes available, but we'll wait and see.

The time gap only has Resi 4 and degeneration, and that only covers leon and claire, so there is still a lot left to ponder on. Apparently there is a graphic novel series coming out on Resi 5 which takes place before the events in 5, but i'm not sure if it'll get a release here, i know its available for pre-order online though.

Also as for Wii version, i expect that will never happen, for starters the graphical power for it is way beyond anything the wii can do, so it probably won't appear on it. Apparently its all but confirmed for the PC now though.

EDIT: @CitizenGeek: Degeneration is based a year after RE4, and still around leon and claire(from RE2, and Code Veronica) as well, so it doesn't really touch on Chris at all really, but there is a bit of a link right at the end which shows that it has a connection to the main storyline(bar characters, virus, etc), and in turn, Resi 5. Also, your choice of course, but it maybe worth looking into the rest of the Resi series(0-3, Code veronica and Umbrella Chronicles primarily), mainly because RE5 will be, or at least appears to be so far, heavily story based, so you may wonder what some bits mean.

CitizenGeek said:
The story of Resident Evil largely means nothing to me because I have ony played the 4th one. Nevertheless, I absolutely cannot wait for Resi 5. I'm a bit disapointed that Capcom caved into the asinine complaints of "racism", but that hardly impacts the game at all. Just a question for those in the know: Should I watch the recent Resi CGI movie in preparation for Resi 5?

You've only played RE4? Oh lawd, you may not like the other games then since everyone lauds the new system of how RE plays (Thanks, Kobayashi.) Unless of course you want a REAL survivor horror experience in which enemies don't drop ammo when they die and you're generally taking your time to go through rooms instead of rushing in head first. Also, Capcom hasn't caved about the racism thing, Shinji Mikami has made it clear that RE5 would be taking place in Africa since Code Veronica.

Also, the RE CGI movie isn't a filler game movie like Advent Children, it has a decent plot and is watchable. (6.5/10) (No raging/crying about my comments, please.)

EDIT: Actually, if you're on about Sheva with the racism thing I don't see the problem, they are in Africa there would natually be African characters like how Luis Sera is in RE4 since it's set in a country near Spain.

Here's what you do:

Buy a Gamecube
Buy REmake + ports
???
PROFIT!

You can't go wrong with the Gamecube and the RE ports.

CitizenGeek said:
The story of Resident Evil largely means nothing to me because I have ony played the 4th one.
It means nothing to me, either, and I've played and completed all of them. This is primarily because it's been years since I played REmake, RE0, & Code: Veronica, and even longer since I played RE2 & RE3. And also because I never paid that much attention.

So, um, yeah. Looking forward to RE5 the way a virgin looks forward to the day he finally becomes a man. That is, a lot.

ive never played a resident evil game, except when i was like 6 when the first one came out and it scared me for life, it really did... i cant play games at nighttime :/

but im gonna get this, i know all the story of resident evil, just from wiki and stuff so im sure ill no the wats goin on.

I really wouldn't be concerned about the story anyway, I'd just play the RE games to say you've played them, it's an experience.

RE is basically these bad guys called Umbrella make biological weapons and the good guys stop them, which Umbrella basically dies out and there's some people wanting to be bad again... because they can and they're still alive. The storyline is like the Devil May Cry storyline except it has less cheesylines and more plot.

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/X2l4LK1hK0U&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/X2l4LK1hK0U&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

STOP IT! DON'T OPEN THAT DOOR!

:D classic

Lupus Inu said:
I really wouldn't be concerned about the story anyway, I'd just play the RE games to say you've played them, it's an experience.

RE is basically these bad guys called Umbrella make biological weapons and the good guys stop them, which Umbrella basically dies out and there's some people wanting to be bad again... because they can and they're still alive. The storyline is like the Devil May Cry storyline except it has less cheesylines and more plot.

The mass amounts of files there is to collect throughout the series actually makes the story far more deeper than that, covering the virus, characters, companies, etc etc. Sure if you don't want to delve into the bigger story the files make, it will seem more basic, but it isn't really.

As for Chris, i dunno, but i found the challenge better with him, its not hard with 6 item slots anyway.

Arbalest said:
As for Chris, i dunno, but i found the challenge better with him, its not hard with 6 item slots anyway.
It's not hard, just annoying. When I played as Chris I found myself continually making detours to the storage rooms because he can carry so few items. There's already enough backtracking in the game and Chris's remarkably shallow pockets make it even worse.

fabricatedlunatic said:
Arbalest said:
It's not hard, just annoying. When I played as Chris I found myself continually making detours to the storage rooms because he can carry so few items. There's already enough backtracking in the game and Chris's remarkably shallow pockets make it even worse.

Hah, i guess i should have said "not hard, but tedious", as thats about right. It was more annoying specially when there was the "complete the game in 2 hours" for some stuff as well as the 5 hour one. Jill was easy to complete in that respect.

Right so i've got the demo now and had a good go on it. Its not actually to hard to control at all, i thought it maybe a little tough but it wasn't really. You get two levels with it, Shanty Town and Public Assembly. Public Assembly is more of a stay alive mission, though i'm not sure about Shanty Town just yet, not been on it for long. Overall though the game is looking to be great, all i need to do now is get a go of the online co-op to get a proper feel for it.

Anyone else got the demo yet? Its only available on the 360 at the moment, the PS3 one is due out sometime next week i think

I want it but I'm not a subscriber. Bah.

Although it's probably for the best, since these days there's so much readily available information, including videos and demos, that you almost feel as though you've played through a game before you even get your hands on it.

I played the demo a bit, waiting for a friend for a real experience though since the AI is dumb as **** for the Sheva and stands right next to me all the time.

Awesome graphics. Otherwise...meh.
Lupus Inu said:
the AI is dumb as **** for the Sheva and stands right next to me all the time.
Damn right. The stupid bitch shot a ******* explosive barrel when I was standing near it.

Sheva wasn't that bad for me actually, she never stopped me really running forward, and she never shot any explosive tanks/barrels. She was a much better shot that me anyways, but that was to be expected i guess. I guess in a way i was hoping the demo would be a little longer than it was, other than that, it was pretty good overall.

This game is quite ****** solo the AI is extremely stupid. The controls aren't newcomer friendly and quite the turn off, but if you've played RE4 then you'll get used to them fairly quickly, plus there's the option to alter the controls completely. This game was basically MADE to be co-op though. There's two player split-screen co-op... but it isn't very good at all.

The aim of the first stage is to survive until help comes the second demo is standard travel forward and slay enemies. Me and a friend have completed them both six times each, THAT'S HOW GOOD IT IS. We were so good that once the enemies just... stopped re-spawning in the survival stage.

Pyramid Head is very exploitable to get away from.

Back