Re:ZERO's Video Quality in UK/US discs Discussion

Professor Who

School Idol
This... There is banding in almost every single shot here. Please... please do more in-house authoring... FUNimation lacks any quality control, and I'd rather support a company who cares about its fans...

This... There is banding in almost every single shot here. Please... please do more in-house authoring... FUNimation lacks any quality control, and I'd rather support a company who cares about its fans...
If this is true (haven't had the time to check it myself), how is this not a defective product then?

That gallery only made me more satisfied with my purchase tbh. Doesn't look anywhere near as bad as I first feared.

That gallery only made me more satisfied with my purchase tbh. Doesn't look anywhere near as bad as I first feared.
Really? :/ it looks far worse than I thought tbh, I assumed the banding was mainly an issue in the darker shots but it's literally everywhere.

The idea that this isn't a defective release is laughable tbh, we can argue to what degree of defective it is but this is one of the worst looking releases Anime Limited have put out (or the worst I've seen anyway).

Looking at the images I can hardly even notice it. If the disk actually didn't play or skipped in parts, or had entirely different content to what it's supposed to, or was physically defective (i.e scratched/chipped), then I'd be pretty miffed...

Maybe I just don't care enough...

Not sure why some of you are defending AL for such a bad release and not even using good counter arguments at that. I really do want to support AL, but the least they could do is to check the materials they're working with to avoid these kinds of problems. Especially since this isn't first time this they got materials that have faults in them.

However what really annoys me is that I can get a superior version for free on the internet. Sure I could just get that one, but considering Re:Zero is one of my favourites from 2016 I wanted to support it legally yet the legal version is even worse than the crunchyroll stream. I like the book included in the release a lot, but the most important content is just not up to par imo.

AL didn't master the discs. FUNi did. They trusted that FUNi would provide a adequate master. This is done to reduce the time for the release between US and UK.

This is unfortunately an unfortunate series of events for Re:zero. The issues are most likely with the source, but can be mostly corrected with some proper processing at encoding, but wasn't by FUNi. This led to us receiving some poor BD masters.

AL didn't master the discs. FUNi did. They trusted that FUNi would provide a adequate master. This is done to reduce the time for the release between US and UK.

This is unfortunately an unfortunate series of events for Re:zero. The issues are most likely with the source, but can be mostly corrected with some proper processing at encoding, but wasn't by FUNi. This led to us receiving some poor BD masters.
Yeah I'm aware of that, but considering AL made the same mistake with Your Name by trusting Madman in less than a year I sadly can't overlook the lack of quality control. Sure it definitely will delay a release, but I rather have that than a bad release. It's a shame though because AL makes some of the best collectors editions out there.

Yeah I'm aware of that, but considering AL made the same mistake with Your Name by trusting Madman in less than a year I sadly can't overlook the lack of quality control. Sure it definitely will delay a release, but I rather have that than a bad release. It's a shame though because AL makes some of the best collectors editions out there.

But then people would complain we're too far behind the US. AL is stuck between a rock and a hard place, because no matter what they do, a certain slice of anime fans will still be upset, be it at the pricing, or the release date, or the video quality, etc. At the end of the day, AL's hands are tied unless Funi does something, as theirs is the only master they have access to.

Are you serious? More power to you, then... if us videophiles are cringing over every shot, then you shouldn't be proud of it knowing it's bad.

It's okay if you can't see it, but knowing it's bad and being okay with it is really odd...

I mean, technically the disc functions, so it isn't defective, but it is unacceptable that it be released in the state it's in.

I'm an American, so I'm not as used to delays like you guys, but I would rather wait for a better product than a rushed one with no redeeming qualities.

Looking at the images I can hardly even notice it.
Take a look at this shot.

See the extra lines on Subaru's face with slightly different colours? That's called video banding. Same thing with the pillow. It's not something somebody would notice at first glance, but once you learn what it is and train yourself to look for it (like me), then it can be noticeable.

I think it also has something to do with the size you are watching it. If you're watching it in a really small notebook, it doesn't make so much of a diffrence.

Which is to say, without enlarging the pictures in the galley, the only picutres I pick up the stripes are those with Subaru's darker skin colour shots.

Take a look at this shot.

See the extra lines on Subaru's face with slightly different colours? That's called video banding. Same thing with the pillow. It's not something somebody would notice at first glance, but once you learn what it is and train yourself to look for it (like me), then it can be noticeable.
Anyone who can't see that banding either has a TV doing debanding, or are blind.
I can see it, but to me it's just...not that bad. As I said, I just don't care enough about that stuff. It's just...not the kind of thing I'd get up in arms about, personally...I'd rather the disk be functioning properly as in not skipping or crashing.

Back