Rate the last movie you watched out of 10

Status
Not open for further replies.
Iron Man 3
First off, my thoughts can be summed up simply as:
As an adaptation of the comics, it wasn't very faithful at all (especially with The Mandarin). However, it was a very good movie.

Personally, after how over-the-top The Avengers was, I loved how down to Earth this film was. I agree with 20thCenturyBoy that Tony's anxiety attacks were a huge plus to the film - it became obvious just how scarred he was from the events of The Avengers (let's be fair, who wouldn't be?) which really hit Tony's usual macho demeanour of always wanting to be in control. It was wonderfully done. The film had a lot of humour, but also a lot of serious moments to, which evened out perfectly.

In regards to The Mandarin, if I remember correctly, Shane Black said that he had difficulty placing the comics Mandarin into the film, but considering how much he's fighting for the Death Note movie to stay as close to the source material as possible, I believe if he could have, he would have done it.

Also, loved the post-credits scene. All I wanted from this film was for Bruce Banner to be acknowledged and yup he was, still there. Kind of odd that Stark Tower didn't appear though.

8/10

20thCenturyBoy said:
I'm not sure who would replace RDJ for number 4 (if this is indeed to be his last solo outing as Iron Man, which I think it might well be) but I hope that it is just a straight swap in and not a reboot.
RDJ has confirmed that he is at least returning for Avengers 2. Marvel have also said in the past that they won't reboot Iron Man, they'll just recast like Bond if it ever came to it. Personally though, I don't think an Iron Man 4 is needed - I think after this film, they're going to have a tough time even explaining why Tony Stark will return in Avengers 2.

Last edited by a moderator:
Joshawott said:
Iron Man 3
RDJ has confirmed that he is at least returning for Avengers 2. Marvel have also said in the past that they won't reboot Iron Man, they'll just recast like Bond if it ever came to it. Personally though, I don't think an Iron Man 4 is needed - I think after this film, they're going to have a tough time even explaining why Tony Stark will return in Avengers 2.

That's what I'm hoping for, because, in all honesty, that's how comic book movies should be. They should mirror the comics in being able to play out continuous stories without having to reboot (of course Marvel and DC both go through reboots from time to time, but generally things always come back). Actors can change the same way the character designs change, different writers and artists is like having different writers and directors. If there's a previous plot element from a film that you didn't like then just ret-con it, don't reboot.

I think it'll be easy for Stark to come back, he'll have had a break and feel the need to return to old ways, especially when the galaxy is about to be destroyed by Thanos and they really need his help to stop him.

At this point I doubt I'd feel comfortable with someone other than Robert Downey Jr. playing Iron Man. To be honest though, I don't want to get it to the stage where we have say, an Iron Man, Captain America and Thor movie each Phase just for the sake of it. One of the things I'm liking the most about Phase Three, is that the two currently known titles (Ant-Man and Dr. Strange) haven't been in the Marvel Cinematic Universe yet. Joss Whedon has also stated that a "brother-sister" pair are appearing in Avengers 2 (which many expect will be Quicksilver and Scarlet Witch - Marvel have outright stated that they are in an odd licensing situation where both Fox and Marvel can use them). I expect after this Phase, Marvel will be looking at expanding the Cinematic Universe.

Evil Dead(2013)-Well i was not expecting much and i was really hoping and praying all my fears about this were wrong but sadly this is another boring bland reboot of a classic franchise,sat for the whole movie waiting for something to happen and when it did i was disappointed at every turn,yeah there are little in jokes for die hard fans of the original but even that was just lame,it wasnt scary on any level,i sat in a full cinema and nobody jumped or screamed or looked away at the gruesome bits,even after the movie most people were quiet with a few whispers of was that it or that was totally pointless,my major problem with the movie was the Deadites which were scary and really looked amazing in the original and down right creepy especially Linda,in this new version they just look like someone with a really bad hangover,empty characters and a boring and silly little sub plot to try and make us bond with the main characters which made me hate them even more,even the rare occasion of some humour just fell flat,the gore was kinda cool though but not as brutal or gruesome as was promised and the infamous tree rape scene from the original was total rubbish in the new version,fact the trailer for the movie is better than the actual whole movie and the even the little surprise after the credits could not save it but a nice little touch all the same,so as i sadly expected the movie was just pointless and just made me want to watch the original Evil Dead as soon as i got home,even as a stand alone horror it fails and as reboot or remake it is just simply crap,4/10.

Joshawott said:
At this point I doubt I'd feel comfortable with someone other than Robert Downey Jr. playing Iron Man. To be honest though, I don't want to get it to the stage where we have say, an Iron Man, Captain America and Thor movie each Phase just for the sake of it. One of the things I'm liking the most about Phase Three, is that the two currently known titles (Ant-Man and Dr. Strange) haven't been in the Marvel Cinematic Universe yet. Joss Whedon has also stated that a "brother-sister" pair are appearing in Avengers 2 (which many expect will be Quicksilver and Scarlet Witch - Marvel have outright stated that they are in an odd licensing situation where both Fox and Marvel can use them). I expect after this Phase, Marvel will be looking at expanding the Cinematic Universe.

Yeah, I agree that likely after Avengers 2 we'll see a break for Iron Man before his next film. Dr. Strange is one I'm looking forward to, I always loved his appearances in the 90s Spider-Man: TAS. Guardians Of The Galaxy is going to be the real proving ground of how their "unknown" characters do with the mainstream crowd, but the fact is that as long as they make a good film it shouldn't matter whether people know the characters or not. They've now 100% confirmed they've got the rights to Daredevil back so I would expect that to go into production for the next phase, they also have The Punisher, but I honestly don't see Disney wanting to handle that (at least not in the way it should be). Black Panther will be on their agenda for the next phase too, I imagine. It's been talked about plenty before, with several people throwing their hats in the ring to play him, plus they'll seriously need to diversify the Universe a little at some point. Expect a Hawkeye/Black Widow team up or solo films too.

20thCenturyBoy said:
...they also have The Punisher, but I honestly don't see Disney wanting to handle that (at least not in the way it should be).
How to make a Punisher film? Give Thomas Jane full control over the film with a decent budget and enough time to make it how he thinks it should be.

Sy said:
20thCenturyBoy said:
...they also have The Punisher, but I honestly don't see Disney wanting to handle that (at least not in the way it should be).
How to make a Punisher film? Give Thomas Jane full control over the film with a decent budget and enough time to make it how he thinks it should be.

And let Garth Ennis write it...with an appearance by Dolph Lundgren...And Kevin Nash.

Bernie

7/10

A really interesting story made by an astonishing performance from Jack Black, probably the best he has ever, or will ever, give. It's filled with dark humour and is an intriguing watch into how someone can just become completely worn down and undone by someone with a personality more overwhelming than their own.

Also has an Anime connection with Grant James playing a small role in it. He's done a lot of English dub work including Chef Zeff in One Piece.

20thCenturyBoy said:
Sy said:
20thCenturyBoy said:

And let Garth Ennis write it...with an appearance by Dolph Lundgren...And Kevin Nash.

And no CG. Squibs, bloodpacks and stuntmen with a death wish, that's the way to go.

20thCenturyBoy said:
Joshawott said:

Yeah, I agree that likely after Avengers 2 we'll see a break for Iron Man before his next film. Dr. Strange is one I'm looking forward to, I always loved his appearances in the 90s Spider-Man: TAS. Guardians Of The Galaxy is going to be the real proving ground of how their "unknown" characters do with the mainstream crowd, but the fact is that as long as they make a good film it shouldn't matter whether people know the characters or not. They've now 100% confirmed they've got the rights to Daredevil back so I would expect that to go into production for the next phase, they also have The Punisher, but I honestly don't see Disney wanting to handle that (at least not in the way it should be). Black Panther will be on their agenda for the next phase too, I imagine. It's been talked about plenty before, with several people throwing their hats in the ring to play him, plus they'll seriously need to diversify the Universe a little at some point. Expect a Hawkeye/Black Widow team up or solo films too.

I'm really hyped for Dr. Strange - he's definitely my favourite Marvel superhero.

I was thinking earlier about what Marvel could be planning for Phase 3, as we only have Ant-Man and Dr. Strange confirmed so far, as well as Joss Whedon confirming that a "brother-sister duo" will be appearing in Avengers 2 (which many speculate will be Scarlet Witch and Quicksilver - especially as Kevin Feige has confirmed that both Fox and Marvel can use the characters). Could we possibly see an Inhumans movie, a Black Panther movie and a Namor movie to set up the Illuminati (replacing Reed Richards with Ant-Man and Professor X/Beast with someone else, possibly Scarlet Witch) and Avengers 3 being about the Kree-Skrull War?

At the very least though, I hope their goal with it is to expand the Marvel Universe instead of focusing on sequels like Phase 2 is doing (aside from Guardians of the Galaxy). I've heard rumours of Marvel considering a "Heroes For Hire" movie. That sounds like an interesting idea (although I think it would work better as a TV series - but S.H.I.E.L.D. is already going to be Marvel's TV series).

EDIT: Kevin Feige has pretty much confirmed that Dr. Strange is next (After Ant-Man, I imagine).

EDIT 2: I just remembered! There was a Black Panther reference as far back as Iron Man 2.

EDIT 3:

Okay, so I just watched Thor and personally, I think it was a steaming pile of meh. Definitely the weakest of the MCU films I've seen (which is all but The Incredible Hulk). The visual effects were good, but the Earth scenes felt really cheesy, lame and the romance felt unbelievably forced. You can sum up those scenes with "It's Thor - and he's so sexy!". Aside from Loki's scheme, which was pretty intelligent actually, everyone felt really underdeveloped as well.

Hopefully Thor: The Dark World is a much better movie.

5/10

Joshawott said:
Okay, so I just watched Thor and personally, I think it was a steaming pile of meh. Definitely the weakest of the MCU films I've seen (which is all but The Incredible Hulk). The visual effects were good, but the Earth scenes felt really cheesy, lame and the romance felt unbelievably forced. You can sum up those scenes with "It's Thor - and he's so sexy!". Aside from Loki's scheme, which was pretty intelligent actually, everyone felt really underdeveloped as well.

Hopefully Thor: The Dark World is a much better movie.

5/10

Agreed on the most part. A lot of it is terribly underdeveloped, especially when there's quite a supporting cast at play. The Earth stuff was just woeful for me (although some of the fish out of water moments were very funny). The first act though, is one of the best films Marvel have done. Asgard looks amazing and the whole Shakespearian family drama is just classic stuff. Sadly he falls to Earth and so does the rest of the film.

Dark World thankfully looks like it's fixing this by starting on Earth and then zipping away to the other worlds. The exploration of them is where the future lies for Thor, he can ponce about Earth all he wants in The Avengers franchise, but in his own films he should be doing his own thing, which is high fantasy fisticuffs adventures. I also reckon Natalie Portman will be for the off after this one (think she only agreed a 2 movie deal anyway).

Went to see Iron Man 3 last night. It was a lot of fun, but I thought it didn't really have a similar sort of feeling to the previous 2. I love Robert Downey Jr's Tony Stark, and I agree with Josh that it'd be too weird to have anyone else play him now. I thought the story seemed much more like a generic action movie story than an Iron Man story. Nonetheless, it was pretty fun. 7/10.

21 And Over

2/10

Horribly formulaic and unfunny...Yet there's bound to be a multitude of folk who think this is "the funniest thing EVVVAAA!"

st_owly said:
Went to see Iron Man 3 last night. It was a lot of fun, but I thought it didn't really have a similar sort of feeling to the previous 2. I love Robert Downey Jr's Tony Stark, and I agree with Josh that it'd be too weird to have anyone else play him now. I thought the story seemed much more like a generic action movie story than an Iron Man story. Nonetheless, it was pretty fun. 7/10.
It had a story?

Star Trek: Into Darkness

8/10

Okay, at times it feels like JJ Abrams is totally trolling with the lens flare, he knows he's doing it, right?! That aside it's pretty great and epic. I've not actually seen the reboot again since it came out, but from what I remember I'd say this is better (and I really liked that too).

Bennedict Cumberbatch is brilliant, everything about his performance is to an absolute tee. Zachary Quinto probably comes a close second, and the odd couple routine between his Spock and Kirk remains very entertaining.

It's going to be interesting to see who'll helm the next instalment, but I look forward to it especially seeing as this film would seem to indicate it's heading for a
war with the Klingons...either that or a space adventure

Star Trek: Into Darkness 6/10

I thought the first one was okay and reasonably entertaining. This one I found to be incredibly average and lazy. In the first 10 minutes I knew exactly what the basic plot was going to be. I feel like I've seen this plot line at least five times before elsewhere (From what I know it was the same basic plot as the newest James Bond film, and also Patlabour 2). I noticed at the end during the credits that Damon Lindelof of Prometheus fame was one of the writers and prodcuers. I don't know if he's responsible in this case, but based off Prometheus he seems to base his stories around very obvious and overly used tropes without adding anything new into the mix. The plot just seemed very lazy to me.

A related issue with the plot is that it just isn't very "science-fictional". As already mentioned, there have been extremely similar plot lines used in films but which were set in modern times. That being the case is it really a science fiction story?

Last edited by a moderator:
Rewatched Blade Runner for the first time in years.

A diluted consequence of endeavour and storytelling.

I admire it for the technical achievement for its year, but the whole thing just feels so vacant. Like before, Scott takes one genre and plants it into a different period; in this it's a detective noir story which just happens to be set in the (less actually gonna happen) future.

Things feel less focused than they should be, while the plotting feels like it's on autopilot until a resolution comes through like... an empty shell. It's so hard to explain why it just doesn't cut it while it offers such visual (and audio, thank you Vangelis) spectacle. Somethings off about the entire film... quite what that is I really don't know.

Shame, since I'm a bit of a cyberpunk buff.

?/10.

Ark said:
Star Trek: Into Darkness

I noticed at the end during the credits that Damon Lindelof of Prometheus fame was one of the writers and prodcuers. I don't know if he's responsible in this case, but based off Prometheus he seems to base his stories around very obvious and overly used tropes without adding anything new into the mix. The plot just seemed very lazy to me.

A related issue with the plot is that it just isn't very "science-fictional". As already mentioned, there have been extremely similar plot lines used in films but which were set in modern times. That being the case is it really a science fiction story?

If there's something you don't like and Lindelof is involved then you have every right to blame the man. I blame him for Prometheus being just dreadful (his fingerprints were all over so much of that film) and Lost going from being perhaps one of the most captivating shows on TV ever to an absolute drivelling, turgid, wreck of a self sanctimonious show.

For what it's worth though, I personally found there to be little of Lindelof's influence in Star Trek, it's definitely more Orci/Kurtzman script wise, which is also part of the reason its less of an actual sci-fi movie and more just an action flick that happens to have some space and aliens and stuff. Anything that's going to get too sci-fi is considered too much of a risk for studios, they don't really want audiences thinking about things all that much.

Max Takeshi said:
Rewatched Blade Runner for the first time in years.

A diluted consequence of endeavour and storytelling.

I admire it for the technical achievement for its year, but the whole thing just feels so vacant. Like before, Scott takes one genre and plants it into a different period; in this it's a detective noir story which just happens to be set in the (less actually gonna happen) future.

Things feel less focused than they should be, while the plotting feels like it's on autopilot until a resolution comes through like... an empty shell. It's so hard to explain why it just doesn't cut it while it offers such visual (and audio, thank you Vangelis) spectacle. Somethings off about the entire film... quite what that is I really don't know.

I only got round to watching Blade Runner for the first time last year (was always one of those "been meaning to watch but just never got round to" films). I was severely underwhelmed by it. I agree it looks absolutely fantastic, but it really drags and meanders around. I'll admit that the ending is good, but a lot of what comes before is either pretty much a non-event or actually just plain bad (the whole rooftop scene with Rutger Hauer was awful I thought). For the record I watched the Super-Duper-Ridley Scott-Final-Say-"Yes, this is really it"-Cut and haven't tried any of the others.

The background/making of the film is probably more interesting than the film itself to me.

Mud

7/10

Didn't manage to be quite as good as Nichols' last film (the awesome Take Shelter, which everyone should watch), but still enjoyed it. McConaughey continues just picking out excellent roles in good films for himself. I would've liked to have seen the supernatural aura of Mud himself played up and the lines really of reality/perception blurred (much like Take Shelter did) between if he is some strange being or just a guy who did some things and now he's on the run.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back