Rate the last movie you watched out of 10

Status
Not open for further replies.
Broken City:
Typical 'Marky' Mark Wahlberg character (Goes psycho and whoops ass), I wasn't expecting much but it was fairly decent. Solid 6.5/10

Max Takeshi said:
Paranormal Activity 4: aka MICROSOFT'S KINECT IS WELL NEAT, EH?

What we have here is the third sequel to what was a pretty dire original. Fourth in the franchise and there's nowhere for it to go.

Yeah, the product placement is just horrendous for that film. One of the many, many flaws of it. I personally disagree with your point on the original though. I thought the first was a well worked film and was the first horror film in many a year to be generally scary. It was kind of a lightning in a bottle sort of thing and unfortunately they, and other studios, have tried to do it again and again without (critical) success. But there's nothing surprising there, Hollywood just latches onto an idea and extorts it so long as it makes money, speaking of...

Hansel & Gretel: Witch Hunters

5/10

Apparently witches are the new money maker...Yeah, this made money, and with Vin Diesel possibly going to be starring in his own Witch Hunter flick suggestions are this'll be the trend for at least a few years.

It's not a "bad" film really. Nothing particularly offensive about it, in fact, it could have been fun...But wasn't quite. If they had went the full way of being super exploitative with violence, etc. then this could've been a decent mindless, bloody rampage, but they held back a bit. There were suggestions and hints that things would go further, the odd exploding body and expletive thrown in there, but never enough death-plosions for me. Taking all that potential away and what we're left with is a by the numbers point A to point B flick. You never get to know the characters, they're there purely to walk through the plot and there's no real time spent developing anything. It's a case of "there's a super evil witch, there she is, let's kill her...they kill her". I'm not SPOILER-ing that because I honestly feel I'm not giving anything away you couldn't deduce from the trailer alone.

I will say that I did think it was quite clever that they made Hansel into a diabetic.

Broken City

7/10

This turned out a lot better than I had anticipated. I think it might not have worked so well without the strong cast that it has, who all help to bring a bit more gravity to it, Russell Crowe especially. The only bits that really dragged at all was the stuff with Wahlberg and his girlfriend, it seemed pointless at the time and indeed turned out to be fruitless, it could easily have been cut.

Never ending Story

10/10

Anything less than a ten...would be horrible kupo, one of my fave and most loved films ever!

Oz: The Great and Powerful

7/10

I told you guys, witches=money!

Tim Burton should take note, this is how you do Burton's style but still make a good film. It looks incredible at times, love a lot of the scenery and costume choices and the opening credits are great too.

It's a proper, fun family film, one that I imagine if I'd seen as I child I would've been terrified of as some of the stuff could be quite frightening (the "lamp" plants in the dark forest for example). Because it's meant to appeal to a broad, but young audience I felt things were a little simplified and a bit cartoony at times (Zach Braff face palming seemed like it was put there as a cue for kids to laugh). I could've easily seen Robert Downey Jr. in the role of Oz as he originally was, but James Franco does well enough and I think Franco is able to make Oz a bit more un-likeable and unscrupulous at the start whereas with RDJ you'd have just thought "what a loveable rogue" as he charmed you. I found the stuff with Little China Girl to be quite touching and I'm surprised there wasn't more of Finney as he was quite fun and did actually kinda cute at times. I liked that, much like the original Wizard of Oz, you had the people from Kansas appearing in Oz.

All in all it's fun for all the family and I would rate the witches in terms of hotness thusly:

1. Mila Kunis (she's absolutely smoking and I've thought so since she was 16 on "That 70s Show")
2. Michelle Williams (has a cute innocence about her)
3. Rachel Weisz

The Princess Bride

the Vue chain are screening this classic as a 25th anniversary of the original release, so we jumped at the chance to finally see it on the big screen at our local Vue, along with much of Reading's geek community. Awesomely cheesey, as always.

10/10

Storage a film about a teenage boy after his dad was killed in front of him he goes to live with his uncal working in the storage place his uncal manages he is convinced one of the customers has done somthing illegal after he sees him sniffing cloths and holding a gun in his storage unit
It wasn't great slow but not terrible I'll give it a 4

Ripper some kinda teen murder thing I didn't really no what going on half the tim but the main girl was in a serial killer profiling class as in her last she nd her friends were hunted by a killer she was only surviver then it starts to happen
again that's all I can really say pretty samey nothing interesting nd not very clear as to what gong on nd a v stupid end I give it a 1 at best

ilmaestro said:
Did you watch Oz in 3D, 20thCBoy?

Yes I did, thought the 3D was quite good for it. If you're thinking of going to see it I say "go". Something else I'd highly recommend to see is...

Side Effects

8/10

I love it when something happens that makes the audience give a collective gasp. When what I thought was going to be the climactic scene actually occurs about half way through and everyone just goes "oooh", that was one of those great moments you only get at the cinema. Then things take a twist and the wheels begin to turn and suddenly you're thinking "did they do this? Is it going to happen like this?". A great build of thrilling tension throughout, I think the trailer sells itself somewhat short, but it's a necessity to keep from spoiling things I suppose. I thought Jude Law was going to be a supporting character but as things go on he becomes the focus and all the better for it.

The Incredible Burt Wonderstone

6/10

Slightly better than I thought it might be, but still hovers around average. It can be mildly amusing at times and it was good to see Carrell playing a pompous ass rather than his usual idiot or everyman. Similarly Carrey was actually quite reigned in in terms of his performance which was a bit different, his character was underused early on though, and could've done with having a bit more. There were a few other things that I felt were underdone and done prematurely, such as the break up of Burt and Anton. A bit more time to develop their relationship and maybe seeing them try more than just one thing to update their act would've been better. Olivia Wilde's character was fairly interesting and different until the point it just became a sloppy romance angle in just one scene, is it possible for the only female character in a film not to end up as the romance in a movie?

Last edited by a moderator:
Seeking A Friend For The End Of The World. I give it 8/10. Kind of slow starting and nothing like the comedy the trailer would suggest but it's a really lovely film and kind of brutal too. It had me crying and it's made me warm and fuzzy when I think about it. Definitely a lazy Sunday film.

What To Expect When You're Expecting. I give it 7/10. It let me down, I was expecting it to be way funnier and I was expecting the men to be funnier than the women but they were the let down in it really. Some of the stories in it were really nice and made me teary but yeah, not the comedy I was expecting. Another lazy Sunday recommendation really.

Aim to get hold of Friends With Kids, The Campaign, I Give It A Year and This Is 40 next. Fancy giggles lately.

The Paperboy

3/10

An interesting cast (Efron aside) in a wholly sloppy, disjointed mess of a movie. There might be a decent story in there somewhere, but it's deeply hidden amongst a load of arbitrary scenes trying their best to be "strange but poignant". It seemed to take forever for this thing to stumble towards its conclusion.

Robot & Frank

8/10

This was a bit darker than I thought, particularly when Frank would have one of his "episodes". But that only helped to further define the beautiful relationship and friendship between the two titular characters. Frank Langella puts in a wondrous performance and, it may be a bit early to talk but, he could be an outside shout for an Oscar for it.

EDIT - Seemed to have its US run last year so no Langella Oscar :( .

Hansel And Gretel Witch Hunters 3D

6/10

It was entertaining enough, but not a bluray I'll be buying. The mix of creature and CGI effects wasn't mixed very well, it was easy to tell which was which. But my biggest gripe with it was all the main cast with American accents and the rest had poor german accents, it was a bad mistake to do that and it feels like they did it because the main male lead, what ever his name is couldn't do an English or German accent.

Plus I saw the slight twist in there unknown backstory coming a mile off.

I'd also say one of the main reasons why it's a 15 isn't because of violance, it felt more because of the amount of times the F-bomb was dropped. Which again didn't feel fitting for the films setting.

Gemma Arterton looks bloody FIT in it though!

Silent Hill: Revelation.

Apt title - a revelation that filmmakers do not have a clue about what makes Silent Hill Silent Hill.

Taking the story of the third game, taking out everything that made it frightening, eerie and unsettling, plonking in some truly ridiculous dialogue/scenes and giving Sean Bean more time to use his American accent is a shambolic exercise in how to cheese off any remaining fans of this once great franchise.

We have the private eye, 'birthday', asylum, and fairground (not to mention that large fella with a wheelbarrow on his head, 'cause, despite his presence making no sense outside Silent Hill 2, he HAS to be used just because it's him). It's the third game's structure, and does not seem to understand the feel of any of it. The game Silent Hill 3 differed from its predecessors by using the thematic horror template that mixing the normal and abnormal together masterfully creates a fear that the normal is abnormal and the abnormal is normal. It worked by coercing the interaction of the player to examine both worlds and pass judgement through interpretation - something that is unachievable in the medium of passive entertainment.

The final ten minutes are a catastrophe. The finale not only manages to hammer the final nail in the coffin of an iconic character, but the horrific hints at a sequel which... 'Has A Man That Goes To Silent Hill To Search For His Wife' are a bigger threat to Silent Hill 2's legacy far more than the recent HD re-release shambles. Also the final two references to both Origins and Downpour were poor fan-pleasing hashes.

Good points? The decent into the otherworld is still handled by that brilliant peeling effect, and Akira Yamaoka's music from the games is still exceptional. Also the actress who played Heather (Adelaide Clemens) did actually look like her game couterpart, except for the pale, tired, sunken eyed look, that is.

It's also easy to point out that this film is also actually hindered by the march of technology; no, not through CGI nonsense, but HD itself. Silent Hill looks clean, sanitised and pure. A far cry from the purposeful grain filter employed in the games for effect. Perhaps through artistic merit in the future some filmmakers should choose not to use the best technology available and decided what best works for the theme (and genre) they are working with. Artful endeavour is, after all, more appreciated and memorable than sticking with the high tide of tech advancement.

1/10.

Roujin Z

I bought this seeing as it was from the makers of Akira. The tone is a lot different, a light hearted comedy with some satirical undertones, I enjoyed this movie quite a lot, my only gripe is the fact that the animation isn't quite what I hoped it to be, it didn't flow as seamlessly as Akira and felt more like something that anyone else could've made, also, I'm not sure if it's because I decided to watch it dubbed or what, but sometimes the audio and visuals don't quite match up.

7/10

Welcome To The Punch

6/10

An excellent score, good production, top line names and some bits of slick directing to create an atmosphere make this film better than your average cop/gangster Brit Flick.

However, a paper thin script and similarly weak characters stop it from being anything more than that.

Mark Strong is still the man though. I've been of the opinion of the last 4 years or so that he's the best villain in Hollywood.

Identity Thief

4/10

A comedy film that's light on the comedy and very heavy on the forced pathos. It seriously tries harder to tug at the heart strings than tickle your funny bone. Tragic back stories and throwing yourself in front of a car are clearly more entertaining than jokes and hilarious interactions. Trains, Planes and Automobiles this ain't, now there was a film that was both ridiculously funny but also touching.

I will say that the more serious stuff did at least allow Melissa McCarthy to show her range a bit.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back