Rate the last movie you watched out of 10

Status
Not open for further replies.
Speaking of Batman...

Batman Begins

8/10

Yeah, I'm rewatching the Nolan trilogy. It is just so good, the scene at the docks is brilliant it makes Batman seem like something out of a horror movie. The black...tank line slays me everytime.

Finally saw Skyfall today. I have two complaints:
- 6 MI6 agents died right in the blast right? So why were there 8 coffins?
- A manned tube train with no passengers in it during rush hour?

Other than that, I did like the film. Although I wish that instead of trying to give Bond some emotional baggage, they invested more in developing the villain. I was really disappointed by him, especially considering how hyped he was.

As for M it was to be expected that this was to be Judi Dench's last film. Her eyesight is getting so bad that she apparently needed to have her script read to her. They couldn't have her retire because it was threatened as a punishment near the start. Also, the villain technically won, yay!

I did love the references to past Bond films, like Q saying that they no longer do exploding pens xD

8/10

EDIT:
Also new headcanon: Skyfall is a prequel to Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows.

At the start of Deathly Hallows, Voldemort has taken over the Ministry. At the end of Skyfall, Mallory, who is also played by Fiennes, becomes the new M. So between Half-Blood Prince and Deathly Hallows, Voldemort became the new M and took over the Ministry. Done.

Last edited by a moderator:
The Dark Knight

8.5/10

and

The Dark Knight Rises

9/10

I think TDKR is maybe my favourite out of the Nolan trilogy, just because it is a perfect climax to the whole story. I was fearing seeing it a 2nd time thinking that I wouldn't like it as much, but seems there was no need to fear.

Les Miserables

6/10

It just goes on and on and on...

Far too long, there's some good stuff but there's just too much to drag it down and out. Hathaway is good, so too Jackman, Crowe's a hit and miss.

Django Unchained

9/10

Sweet Jesus, I love you, QT!

The man is getting less and less subtle with age...And that's a good thing. Brilliantly bloody and just downright hilarious at times. The acting here puts so many other films to shame, purely because of how over the top it allows it to be. Sam Jackson was probably the absolute standout out for me, but from top to bottom the cast is superb, Di Caprio is marvelously camp too and his scenes with Jackson makes them out like an old married couple. Jamie Foxx's role is more reserved than the others but he still puts in a hell of a shift, when he comes and rescues Broomhilda it's just a great scene, so well directed too, and it feels like the hero has finally reached the mountain top. Waltz is Waltz, he just oozes charisma. Favourite moment was either Miss Lara's death or 'Well, f*** all y'all, I'm going home.'

Last edited by a moderator:
The Last Stand

7.5/10

It's Arnie, baby! And Kim Jee-Woon ("I Saw The Devil"), how could anyone not love it? Plenty of lovely bloody violence, a few funny lines and moments and a surprising attempt at adding a little big of weight to the story at times too.

Movie 43

5/10

It just feels like a series of internet skit videos that draw out their jokes for far too long. There's a reason sketches are normally done on tv/radio/internet rather than a movie format.

Zero Dark Thirty

9/10

Talk about tension. The fact of the reality behind this film and it being a period we've lived through gives it a real weight and you know yourself just how high the stakes are.

Harold Perrineau was not helping to look for Bin Laden though...Clearly he was using those resources to search for Walt. :wink:

WAAAAALLLLLLTT!!

Ah, Lost jokes, you'll never age.

20thCenturyBoy said:
Django Unchained

9/10

Sweet Jesus, I love you, QT!

Having finally seen it today, I don't think I would rate it quite so highly, but it was very good nevertheless. Jamie Foxx gives an excellent dramatic performance, imbuing Django with a quiet, cold fury, but he seems oddly misplaced amongst the scenery chewing brilliance of Waltz, Jackson and DiCapro.

It's a minor complaint, but, given the film's title, I'd have liked a little more reference to the story of the original Django too. Franco Nero's cameo is extremely welcome, but from the moment they struck up that theme song, I spent the entire film wanting to see that coffin being dragged through the mud and damn it, it was not there :(

Yeah Django was good. The cast was great, all giving A star performances (I think I would also have to pick Samuel Jackson out of the lot though, what a performance!). Everything from the violence to the language was OTT in true Tarantino fashion (and I don't personally get the whole controversy over the use of the n word, as he had the correct historical context to use it to be fair) and it was often very funny. It did have it's poignant moments too. My only real gripe was that I felt the brief depiction of plantation life for the enslaved was rather unrealistic. it almost seemed like a nice place to work, aside from the scene involving the whipping of the girl of course, but I think it kind of skipped portraying the real pain of life on the plantations, which I found slightly disappointing.

Still it was Tarantino's best for a while.

Am I seriously the only one in the world who absolutely adores Kill Bill (both volumes)?!?!?! It could just be in part to my mad love for Uma Thurman, especially in her Bruce Lee yellow gear (I like to think she's wearing nothing underneath it, just her hot, extremely sweaty and extremely naked body :oops: ).

Inglorious Basterds is great fun too. In my opinion Tarantino has only ever made one bad film (I'm looking at you Death Proof), which had the premise of being great but go lost in his penchant for mindless self indulgence. Admittedly all his films are self indulgent but I thought Death Proof took it to a new level, it was a scenario of him and Rodriguez making movies that just the two of them wanted to watch and not many others.

I liked both Kill Bill (more so volume 1) and Basterds, but I think they're very uneven films. There are some brilliant individual scenes, but I don't think they add up quite as well as they should.

Django, I felt suffered the same problem, but not to the same extent - I think it's a stronger whole.

Tarantino has always been an odd one. I enjoy the aesthetics of his films but generally I just don't enjoy them beyond that. Kill Bill part 1 is the worst offender. It's more Tarantino grabbing a box, throwing everything he likes into it, shaking it about and hoping it makes sense but it's just a mess. Part 2 was more held together. Pulp Fiction and Inglorious Basterds were some sort of exception but even those I'm not that interested in another rewatch. Django interests me however, as a fan of westerns and having liked the Franco Nero Django films. Most likely with cinema prices being insanely overpriced I'll have to wait until the dvd though.

Bullet To The Head

4/10

Stallone was good, the rest of the film not so much. His partner had to be the most inept police detective ever whose only use was product placement.

Lincoln

7/10

Despite being so long it feels like not a lot really happens, you can drift in and out and still find yourself no further along. It was good enough though, and Day Lewis did seem like he just was Lincoln. Tommy Lee Jones' character felt he had more of a story though and it perhaps should've been a film about him instead.

Flight

7/10

I found the crash to be quite terrifying, if only because the thought of that happenings frightens me. I thought the religous aspect was too heavy handed at times and tried to move focus of the story onto God rather than that of the man that was Whip.

Captain America: The First Avenger
First off, I just want to laugh about how this film was filmed entirely in the UK. lol patriotism.
Now onto the meat:

I just want to get this out of here: I understand and appreciate the whole theme of Captain America as a figure of pro-American wartime propaganda and how that will reflect in him being such a Gary Stu, but it's exactly for that reason that I find the character boring. I hear that Winter Soldier will deal more with him getting used to the modern world, which I am looking forward too because having wathed this now, the fact that he seemed relatively okay with everything in The Avengers was super lame (especially when they turned it into Iron Man 2.5).

I really liked the Red Skull though; especially as he had a lot of charisma, helping really drive home HYDRA's links with the Nazis and Hitler. However, I was disappointed at the lack of focus he received (hell, Howard Stark and Tommy Lee Jones in a different outfit than his last film received more screen time than he did).

I did come into this film jaded as I've never really liked Captain America's character, so that might be why I enjoyed the film a lot more than I thought I would. I especially liked the set designs, which really gave it a nice vintage feel.

A good film, that could have been better if they had focused on the characters themselves more. Hopefully The Winter Soldier will make up for that.

7/10

Wreck It Ralph

8/10

Paperman is just absolutely amazing and gorgeous. This is what animation is all about.

Disney's still got the magic stuff. In a world filled with "good guys and bad guys" I loved that almost none were inherently good or bad, everyone was a bit of both and loads more. The irony of these video game characters feeling more realistic representations of humans than of live action films that feature actual people. Also, the amount of extremely awful, nasty, sexy things I would do to Calhoun is extensive.

Wreck-it_web.jpg

Hitchcock

5/10

The film just assumes you know who Hitchcock is and what he's all about, you're given a real introduction to the "character" of Hitchcock. Of course I know who he is but there may be people now and certainly in the future who may see this and feel like they've missed the first act of the film wherein we meet our characters. The film initially treats Hitckock's obsession/voyeurism as being quite playful and quirky when it really isn't. The Ed Gein delusions seemed a bit out of place, but in all honesty I was more interested in seeing more of Gein than Hitchcock himself in this.

20thCenturyBoy said:
Paperman is just absolutely amazing and gorgeous. This is what animation is all about.
That's gotta be the best 3D animation I've ever seen. Maybe in the future it should all be in black & white, I wouldn't actually be averse to that.

Ed Gein is a fascinating chap, I remember seeing a documentary about him before I even knew he'd been an inspiration for Psycho. Obviously not a malicious person by any means, just someone who was royally f*cked up by his mother, and her in turn by her upbringing... Amazing how you can create a different idea of morality like that in only a couple of generations. Just goes to show how subjective it is.

The Silver Linings Playbook. 10/10. I loved it so much. It made me laugh, it made me cry, it made me appreciate love and it did really well showing mental health problems people face and stuff :)

-Danielle- said:
The Silver Linings Playbook. 10/10. I loved it so much. It made me laugh, it made me cry, it made me appreciate love and it did really well showing mental health problems people face and stuff :)

Yeah, Silver Linings is very good, I really enjoyed it. It managed to get me to actually like Bradley Cooper.

A Good Day To Die Hard

1/10

Die Hard should just die...and hard!

Not a single thing about this film works and everybody involved with it seems to know it. The plot is forgettable, the acting phoned in to the point that even Bruce Willis isn't giving a damn in his delivery of the schlocky script. The exchange between McClane and son in the van has to be the most cringe worthy scene in the entire thing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back