Rate the last movie you watched out of 10

Status
Not open for further replies.
Star Trek - 9/10

other than an unoriginal villan, the plot was very good imo, i was also very impressed with the cast, ive seen all the films and series as well, so i was a little unsure when i first heard they were making a prequel film, but i was very impressed with how they did it, the stuff with Nero despite being unoriginal was done alot better than the similar villian in Nemesis imo, which is why i give the film a 9

X-men Origins 9/10

nothing makes your day like ass getting kicked, metal spikes and spot the mutant games when you have a cinema to yourself :D

Urzu seven said:
Blade runner The Final cut Special edition 9/10.
Was it the change from "I want more life, ******" back to "father?" 'cause that's what I thought it deserved to lose a star for. After the Director's Cut it was really only the picture quality that needed improvment (okay, and the "Snake Salesman" scene needed re-doing badly) it didn't need as many little tweaks as The Final Cut delivered. At least Ridley isn't trying to erase the previous versions from history like some directors though...

Star Trek - 8/10. Amazing. At first I thought it was going to be a ruined movie for me because of the hype (The Dark Knight) but it wasn't the case, there was not one character I didn't like... well, maybe I didn't like Nero since he felt like a throw away antagonist, but still. I usually dislike Simon Pegg and his "comedies" but in this he was pretty awesome. J.J. Abrams needs to make a GunBuster movie, srsly. Everyone's been saying Gundam, but I think GunBuster would work better, easier to manage.

20th Century Boys 10/10

I really enjoyed watching this as some parts I laughed so much and other parts were just so awesome

Angels and Demons - 10/10

Went to see it today. Loved it as expected. I know Dan Brown gets a lot of critisism for his writing but the quality of the two film adaptions are great. I loved The Da Vinci Code and this was basically more of the same; conspiricy theories and a search to find the 'truth'.

Star Trek - 8/10

I really enjoyed the film, the storyline was well thought out and entertaining. The effects were excellent, though there was so much stobe lighting in the action sequences that I probably missed half of it - partly through being so dazzled and partly through having the cover my eyes so I wouldn't have a seizure!
Most disturbing development was actually quite fancying Zachary Quinto by the end of it!

Taken - 8/10

Fancied a good old fashioned revenge movie with some brutal violence and Taken delivered in spades. The only issue I have is the ease with which Liam Neeson's character tracks down his victims; it requires considerable suspension of disbelief. Oh, and his daughter is an annoying spoilt bitch who really didn't deserve the effort.

Maltos said:
Angels and Demons - 10/10

Went to see it today. Loved it as expected. I know Dan Brown gets a lot of critisism for his writing but the quality of the two film adaptions are great. I loved The Da Vinci Code and this was basically more of the same; conspiricy theories and a search to find the 'truth'.

I don't know, I thought The Da Vinci Code movie was frustrating, to be honest. The pacing was all off, pointless inferior changes were made to the plot and it just didn't gel as well as the book did. I hope Angels and Demons does the book better justice (yes, I love Dan Brown even though he's not exactly the best word smith).

CitizenGeek said:
I don't know, I thought The Da Vinci Code movie was frustrating, to be honest. The pacing was all off, pointless inferior changes were made to the plot and it just didn't gel as well as the book did. I hope Angels and Demons does the book better justice (yes, I love Dan Brown even though he's not exactly the best word smith).

A lot of reviews I've read, and some people I went to see it with, agreed that the pacing of the The Da Vinci Code adaption was bad. Personally, I didn't seem to notice; though I think it was to do with the fact that I love the theme of it and was interested throughout.

On the point of the adaptions, I hadn't read the books going into either films, (I deliberately waited to read Angels & Demons, when I heard they were making it as a sequel, after peoples disappointed with the adaption of The Da Vinci Code), but one of the people I went to see Angel's & Demons with had read it and they fealt it was a better adaption. I've also read a lot of reviews saying the pacing was better in it and that was noticeable, even to me.

Hellraiser 7/10

Despite being laughably ridiculous with some terrible dialogue, it was actually pretty decent. There were moments of really good direction, and some of the effects are still impressive (the initial reconstruction scene in particular).

Hardly scary, but enjoyable throughout.

Last edited by a moderator:
Think I'll move this post from the other thread. :oops:

STAR TREK 10/10
I have no complaints at all over this film. I think the actors were very well chosen, and the story was awesome. It surved it's purpose for both trekkie and non trekkie fans imo. The Trekers got the references and the actors (who played the characters perfectly) and everyone else got a great story line. My fiance loved it and she hates Star Trek.
Definately be joining my vast DVD collection once released.

Star Trek - 5.5/10

It was pretty much pure fluff, though entertaining fluff I'll give it that. The thing about this movie is that it's so fast paced I felt it got lost in itself whereas what I liked about Star Trek was its ability to take things slow and ponder over the circumstances.

It was a glossy version of Star Trek for a new generation but for me I'm left feeling a little hollow about the whole thing. The villain wasn't engaging, the engine room looked like a sewage works filmed in some factory, the destruction of a planet creates seemingly little reaction from the characters and the dumping of Kirk on the ice planet and subsequent meeting with Old Spock felt painfully contrived but on the whole I was entertained. Would I watch more movies in this style with this cast? Sure, why not but something with a little more meat would be appreciated next time.

Last edited by a moderator:
Little Children 6/10

Eh... didn't know how to react to that one... Finally set myself some time to watch a movie from my overflowing to-watch drawer and it was meh.

Started normally enough. Stay at home parents in an unsatisfying marriage start having an affair, all the while there's a pedophile living in the same street. It just didn't quite weld together....

and to top it off, there was a creepy ass narrator.

Oldboy 8/10

I don't know why I hadn't heard of this film before because it really is my type of movie. The film had enigmas from the outset and has you on the edge of your seat throughout.
Oldboy really is a film with a genuinely good plot and is a must-see in my opinion.

Ashes of Time Redux: 9/10

The first half-hour confused the hell out of me, but after that things became a bit clearer (as the swordsman in the film went blind the more I could see :lol:) A very enigmatic film, and a beautifully shot and produced one as well. I imagine it will only improve with repeat viewings.

X-Men Origins: Wolverine - 7/10

It was, without a doubt, worth seeing, but given the choice between that and Star Trek/Angles And Demons, I'd have chosen the latter.

The first 15 or so minutes of this film answers a lot of questions that people had for the original 3, (despite the odd question or two left with the audience at the end) which was nice, and the elevator seen 20 or so minutes in made me laugh (If you've seen this, then you'll know the one I'm talking about).

It even has that special scene for the women and gays: Wolverine sprinting out of a building, soaked and completely naked

HOWEVER. While I enjoyed how -the general story- was put together and made to link in with the rest of the films, a lot of events and characters confused me and my brother, namely the "so is his brother Sabretooth from the first X-Men film or not" question.

I mean, from what I remember from the first one, he shows no recollection of what went on between them, shows no sign that they're related, let alone seen each other. This, along with a few other "problems" (the CGI for Wolverine's claws were utter ****, bad ideas for mutant abilities) bring the film down a bit and make some ideas to make it fit-in look half-assed.

Overall, it's worth both the money and the time, but don't expect anything 10/10 worthy. Also, Imma stop typing now since my keyboard is being mean.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back