Rate the Last Film You Watched

31 Days of Halloween 2022!

Day VIII: Species (1995, Roger Donaldson)
018EF95C-B068-4973-8A58-0629838B448A.jpeg

A sci-fi horror that focuses on an alien-human hybrid trying to mate and who must be stopped by a team of scientists and agents. Though the film has a great cast it’s not one of the stronger sci-fi offerings from the era. 3/5

I saw that when it came out, and even then it was pretty underwhelming. The HR Giger design was striking, but its effectiveness on-screen was undone by being one of the first horror movies to present the monster in CG.

I saw that when it came out, and even then it was pretty underwhelming. The HR Giger design was striking, but its effectiveness on-screen was undone by being one of the first horror movies to present the monster in CG.
Yeah the CGI towards the end sadly doesn’t hold up despite the solid design.

Day IX: Uzumaki (2000, Higuchinsky)
33B35BE6-A18F-4B77-9512-9E9AAA5EAB05.jpeg
A Japanese horror film based on the Junti Ito manga of the same name that focuses on a down spiralling into madness. As it’s own story this was fairly fascinating but as a horror film the tone felt awry at times. It did make me want to explore the source materialthough, as this apparently only adapts the first two volumes or so. 3/5

Day VI: The Hunger (1983, Tony Scott)

An erotic-gothic horror based around a love-triangle between a vampire couple and a doctor trying to reverse ageing. Tony Scott’s direction is quite effective here. 3.5/5

I'm completely amazed that I haven't heard of a horror film with Bowie in it and Bela Lugosi's dead as the track and it's now a must watch for this alone

Today I watched Yi Yi which is another realism film, this time from Taiwan. It deserves the good reputation and the three hour run time scared me at first, but each moment is completely deserved and it had multiple brilliant storylines all going at once.

View attachment 26488

A sci-fi horror that focuses on an alien-human hybrid trying to mate and who must be stopped by a team of scientists and agents. Though the film has a great cast it’s not one of the stronger sci-fi offerings from the era. 3/5
I saw this at cinema with my then girlfriend and I was teasing her about how gorgeous Natasha Henstridge was 😃

View attachment 26498
A Japanese horror film based on the Junti Ito manga of the same name that focuses on a down spiralling into madness. As it’s own story this was fairly fascinating but as a horror film the tone felt awry at times. It did make me want to explore the source materialthough, as this apparently only adapts the first two volumes or so. 3/5

View attachment 26498
I used to have the US dvd years ago when I used to buy a lot! But this I read about beforehand and thought it was a good and weird Japanese horror

Day X: Don’t Go in the House (1980, Joseph Ellison)

DE5FFDE2-8F53-471D-A9A7-95177A59DFAC.jpeg
One of the films that made the video nasties list, DGITH is a grim and nihilistic story centred around a familiar premise of a serial killer borne from childhood abuse (and an obsession with fire to boot). As far as grindhouse-style films go this feels like a genre-equivalent to Psycho and fits right in with this period of horror and is uncompromising in its execution. 3.5/5

Day VI: The Hunger (1983, Tony Scott)
View attachment 26464
An erotic-gothic horror based around a love-triangle between a vampire couple and a doctor trying to reverse ageing. Tony Scott’s direction is quite effective here. 3.5/5
I saw this years ago on video and never seen it since and I remember the video cover with Bowie standing but as for the film only the lesbian scene with Susan Sarandon and the French actress (I think) whose name I can’t think of I remember well! 😄 the film was rubbish

Day XI: Death Screams (1982, David Nelson)

8E5CED44-4A49-47DA-9906-FEBAE73E1450.jpeg
As slashers go this was a fun if archetypal entry from the early 80s with a fairly likeable cast of characters, even if some of the actors appear too old for college students. 3/5

Day XII: The Last Matinee (2020, Maximiliano Contenti)
794041A9-A9E0-42BD-BDA8-F53FC227E73F.jpeg
This Uruguayan neo-gialli horror mostly takes place in a nearly empty movie theatre and builds the tension nicely as the few patrons are gradually picked off. 3.5/5

The Uzumaki movie was a massive disappointment. 90% of the story is based on the first chapter of the manga. Not the first volume, the first chapter. As such the movie's plodding pace is all the more frustrating, since there was so much other material it could have drawn from. Only the quick montage at the end hints at stories from the rest of volume 1, and it doesn't show anything from later on.

The Uzumaki manga is a masterpiece. Tomie always gets mentioned first when people talk about Junji Ito, but I consider Uzumaki to be far superior.

The Uzumaki movie was a massive disappointment. 90% of the story is based on the first chapter of the manga. Not the first volume, the first chapter. As such the movie's plodding pace is all the more frustrating, since there was so much other material it could have drawn from. Only the quick montage at the end hints at stories from the rest of volume 1, and it doesn't show anything from later on.

The Uzumaki manga is a masterpiece. Tomie always gets mentioned first when people talk about Junji Ito, but I consider Uzumaki to be far superior.
Ah it seems I read some inaccurate information regarding how much of the manga this film adapted. Will try and check out more of Junti Ito’s work in the future.

Day XIII: King Kong (1933, Merian C. Cooper & Ernest B. Schoedsack)
5115CFFE-6D09-41A9-98AE-BC4E0772695E.jpeg
King Kong is a film that has held its own since the 1930s and though we’ve gotten numerous remakes and reboots over the years this is still the best version, despite some elements being very of their time. A shame the deleted Spider pit sequence is lost. 4/5

Day XIV: Dario Argento’s Profondo Rosso (1975, Dario Argento) & Dario Argento’s Tenebre (1982, Dario Argento)

22EED9E7-A5C4-4F6A-A86F-D5291BA9E6AE.jpeg
78C106CB-75AE-4D9D-B95A-6EE55A703B52.jpeg
Two great films from one of my favourite auteurs, Profondo Rosso & Tenebre explore horror through the giallo genre, and sport great cinematography, mystery and scores by Goblin (three former members of the group score the latter film). 4/5, 4/5

Last edited:
Back