Rate the Last Film You Watched

Dune (2021)

I'm a massive Villeneuve fanboy, so even if I wasn't familiar with the source material, this got me back in a cinema. I had an idea about what it was, in general terms and I was also familiar with a bit of the memes surrounding Lynch's adaptation, but that was it.

I was pleasantly surprised to see the "Part One" subtitle in the title screen, since I never saw it during marketing. Feels like a second part is more concrete than an idea, somehow?

Really stunning movie, with a massive sense of scale with ships and structures towering over people who seem as small as an ant. Beautiful set and mechanical design, too. The textures were almost palpable and a great contrast to the smoothness of the desert in Arrakis. The three worlds depicted give you a sense of who their inhabitants are and what they stand for.

Everyone was at the top of their game and The King and this have sold me really hard on Chalamet. He's very, very good and gives Paul nuance, authority and fragility, as needed.

The beginning felt a bit heavy on terms and notions, but you soon understand exactly what you need to to make sense of what's going on. A lot happens but a lot is set up too, and it feels uncomplicated in the sense a classic would be. I'm eager to see more of the supernatural elements in the next movie.

Apparently, Villeneuve has plans for a trilogy, which would include the second part of Dune and Dune Messiah. I've heard the books get progressively worse, but I hope he sees his vision through to the end.

TL;DR - Villeneuve can do no wrong.
I thought this wasn't being released until mid October. Did they just have previews somewhere?

I thought this wasn't being released until mid October. Did they just have previews somewhere?

The release window is extremely weird for this movie, so in Switzerland it premiered a few days ago already (the 15th), as well as in other European countries.

I don't know what happened logistically, if anything at all; maybe it was by design.

It has performed very well for what it is in Europe, with 4th best september opening of all time in France, for instance. Good numbers in Russia, too.

Looks good for part two!

Edit: Dates

E_Qlo_VVkAE6tRw.jpg

I watched The Nest from 2020

I mainly watched this for Jude Law, but it was Carrie Coon that owned this film. It's about a seemingly at first functional family slowly being taken apart and examined. It's something that's been done many times now. After recently watching Festen perform this same idea with far more excrutiation and oddity, The Nest felt a little bit lacklustre. The final stretch even felt more like something I would have watched on TV than in a film. It had brilliant moments, and no shortage of them; but as an entire picture it cannot stand up to its forebearers.

I would absolutely recommend this film to anyone who enjoys watching a psychological drama about humans and their flaws. If that's not your jam, then there's no point.

Saw Event Horizon on tv the other night and it wasn’t bad but would of been a hell of lot better- no pun intended- if the US Censors and Paramount hadn’t cut out 30 minutes

Shang-Chi and the Legend of the 10 Rings
Excellent film about identity and finding purpose in life. There's some cool fights which recall the various different types of martial arts films from Jackie Chan prop and scenery use, wire-fu like Hero and some straight up martial art stuff. There's also superhero fights and battle scenes mixed in. The comedy element is quite good too apart from the Trevor Slatery stuff, cool cameo sure, but their involvement dragged on a little too long.
Probably one of the best MCU films ever, but the thing with the MCU is that you can have a favourite for a different mood, so at one point it'll be Guardians 1 or Ragnarok, or another time it might be Winter Soldier and another again Black Panther or for a big epic Infinity War/Endgame. So hard to pick a favourite.

31 Days of Halloween 2021!

Day I: George A. Romero’s Dawn of the Dead (Cannes Cut) (1978, George A. Romero)

7068CA65-AD66-4185-AC85-CB6090921190.jpeg
I decided to start the month off by finally delving into Second Sight’s UHD release for the film, which came out after last year’s marathon had concluded.

This is a classic that for me improves with each viewing, and it was interesting seeing this cut of the film for the first time, though I personally still prefer the theatrical cut overall. 4/5

Last edited:

Day II: Demons (1985, Lamberto Bava) & Day III: Demons 2 (1986, Lamberto Bava)

7D13356C-2266-4EE0-AE3A-55DB5AE62CC8.jpeg
A pair of Italian horror films which were also produced by Dario Argento. Both films sport a lot of gore and then-contemporary soundtracks mixed with the score, and for this marathon I watched the Italian versions over the English ones. Of the two I’d say I preferred the first though both had their moments. 3/5, 3/5

Last edited:

Day IV: Zombi 2 (A.K.A Zombie) (1979, Lucio Fulci)

A1A45203-D085-46A0-8E26-25B75F0560BB.jpeg
This was produced/marketed as an unofficial sequel to George A. Romero’s Dawn of the Dead, for which the Dario Argento cut was marketed under the title “Zombi” in Europe. The film was fairly decent overall thanks to the lead performances and the zombie effects are gristly too.

It is the first of several UHD Fulci releases from US label Blue Underground that I plan to watch as part of this marathon. 3.5/5

Last edited:
I always liked the music for Zombi 2, I think it really evokes both the Caribbean setting and the creeping feeling of inescapable dread that seems to dominate the film.

Not sure I’d recommend sitting through it, but for a bit of a laugh, it’s worth checking out Zombie Holocaust (aka Doctor Butcher MD), as it appears to have been shot on the same sets and shares some of the same cast, most notably Dakar, who spends the entire film looking as if he’s suddenly realised he parked in the tow-away zone...

Day V: Maniac (1980, William Lustig)

0C4B027B-07DB-492F-AD81-ECF6E3A06379.jpeg
Maniac is a disturbing slasher film made on a small budget and features almost guerilla-style filmmaking at times due to a lack of filming permits which affected production. It was difficult to watch at times and lead actor Frank Zito portrays a broken and twisted serial killer quite effectively.

Director William Lustig would go on to work on the Maniac Cop franchise and also produced a 2012 remake starring Elijah Wood which I’ve yet to see but apparently was filmed almost entirely from the killer’s POV. 3.5/5

Last edited:

Day VI: The House by the Cemetery (1981, Lucio Fulci)

3CD895F6-953A-4711-9AF8-DF5C86D23267.jpeg

A haunted house film which perhaps feels a bit tamer than some of Fulci’s other works but has its moments of suspense. Blue Underground’s UHD release is very nice though and is worth upgrading to if you’re a fan. 3/5

Last edited:

Day VII: Beyond Re-Animator (2003, Brian Yuzna)

E787C577-6615-47F7-9734-0672E4A1F2A1.jpeg
The third and final film in the Re-Animator series, this entry sees Jeffrey Combs returning to his best-known role as Dr. Herbert West, who is serving time in prison due to an incident involving one of his zombies but manages continue his experiments regardless with help from the prison’s new head doctor.

The film wasn’t anything too special and is the weakest in the series but Combs is still great in the role and the ending was solid too. 3/5

Last edited:
I'm doing the 1 horror movie a day too but so far i haven't really watched anything really worth mentioning. Most of have either been forgettable, bad or just okay. Gretel & Hansel at least looked nice but it just wasn't eerie enough and it was kinda repetitive on some regards.

Anyway's here's my list so far.

1.Hour of the Wolf
2.Duel
3.Gretel & Hansel
4.Rubber
5.Late Phases
6.Dust Devil
7.One Missed Call (2003)
8.C.H.U.D.

Day VIII: The New York Ripper (1982, Lucio Fulci)

3734B5C1-290C-471A-A97C-D2B2B4A2DC5F.jpeg
Arguably one of Fulci’s most controversial works this film is at times a bizarre mash-up of gritty horror and dark humour, with the serial killer quacking manically like a duck as they dispatch their victims and the violence escalates. 3/5

I am away for the next few days so will be playing catch-up as I cover the Universal Invisible Man series.

Last edited:
As a bonus film yesterday i watched Yokai Monsters: 100 Monsters from arrow TV (or what ever it's called)

61adcpvzJ5L.jpg

The opening scene made me think that this was going to be like Kwaidan and by that i mean that it's collection of separe stories. Instead the movie was mostly about barely passable drama with some yokai stuff spliced in. Most of the yokai stuff was actually pretty cool and there's some decent effects and cinematography in the film.

But it's hard to recommend it because they took the easy way out and had the human drama as the focus.

Excellent film about identity and finding purpose in life. There's some cool fights which recall the various different types of martial arts films from Jackie Chan prop and scenery use, wire-fu like Hero and some straight up martial art stuff. There's also superhero fights and battle scenes mixed in. The comedy element is quite good too apart from the Trevor Slatery stuff, cool cameo sure, but their involvement dragged on a little too long.
Probably one of the best MCU films ever, but the thing with the MCU is that you can have a favourite for a different mood, so at one point it'll be Guardians 1 or Ragnarok, or another time it might be Winter Soldier and another again Black Panther or for a big epic Infinity War/Endgame. So hard to pick a favourite.
T
31 Days of Halloween 2022!

View attachment 21165
A pair of Italian horror films which were also produced by Dario Argento. Both films sport a lot of gore and then-contemporary soundtracks mixed with the score, and for this marathon I watched the Italian versions over the English ones. Of the two I’d say I preferred the first though both had their moments. 3/5, 3/5
I wasted a lot of money on those films when first released by Arrow because of visual probs - now I’ve read there is as audio prob with Demons - the sequel is ok

T

View attachment 21165
I wasted a lot of money on those films when first released by Arrow because of visual probs - now I’ve read there is as audio prob with Demons - the sequel is

View attachment 21216
The third and final film in the Re-Animator series, this entry sees Jeffrey Combs returning to his best-known role as Dr. Herbert West, who is serving time in prison due to an incident involving one of his zombies but manages continue his experiments regardless with help from the prison’s new head doctor.

The film wasn’t anything too special and is the weakest in the series but Combs is still great in the role and the ending was solid too. 3/5
T

I wasted a lot of money on those films when first released by Arrow because of visual probs - now I’ve read there is as audio prob with Demons - the sequel is ok

View attachment 21216

T

I wasted a lot of money on those films when first released by Arrow because of visual probs - now I’ve read there is as audio prob with Demons - the sequel is
I enjoyed Beyond ReAnimator and liked it better than Bride - I presume you don’t have the crap R1 dvd which I unfortunately bought years ago when the old US horror mag Fangoria reviewed it saying it’s uncut / they lied it was cut by 8 seconds

Day VI: The House by the Cemetery (1981, Lucio Fulci)

View attachment 21192

A haunted house film which perhaps feels a bit tamer than some of Fulci’s other works but has its moments of suspense. Blue Underground’s UHD release is very nice though and is worth upgrading to if you’re a fan. 3/5
I have the Arrow blu ray and it’s though it’s not my fave zombie Fulci film I still like it - my fave is The Beyond

I know it's a series rather than a film but I binged all of Squid Game and I'm in love. The ending left some threads unconnected which gives it some leeway for another season and I don't doubt the director's thoroughness when he's had a decade to go over the plotline again and again. Episodes like the sixth one and I think eighth ones were especially beautiful in scene and composition and I especially
loved the shots for that very gritty dinner towards the end

I've got some EVA left to work through.

Back