Rate the Last Film You Watched

My friend and I joked that the people of the galaxy didn't actually mind the Empire, they just really hated Palpatine, accounting for the total lack of support for the Resistance in TLJ turning into the overwhelming support in TRoS. I can't really think of any other way to explain that one.

I guess there's no way of knowing whether the TLJ stuff that was ignored was a result of it going against Abrams' own ideas or because of the backlash that film received from very vocal internet critics. I'm not really sure which possibility is worse. Neither pandering to the loud and whiny or director ego are particularly positive options.

TLJ already had a reason fully set up as to what would encourage allies to come, that being Luke's actions in the battle on Crait.

I would prefer this being a case of Abrans being stubborn as otherwise it means Lucasfilm is now a very reactionary company which is not a great way to run a film studio.

TLJ already had a reason fully set up as to what would encourage allies to come, that being Luke's actions in the battle on Crait.
It established in TFA that most people either hadn't heard of him or thought he was a fairy tale.
I would prefer this being a case of Abrans being stubborn as otherwise it means Lucasfilm is now a very reactionary company
It stopped being Lucasfilm a while ago now which for the most part is the problem.

Bringing Palpatine back was misguided for a number of reasons, mainly that it turns the 'Skywalker Saga' into the Palpatine Saga. For all it reneges on TLJ's democratisation of the force and shifts the focus back to bloodlines, it nullifies the importance of Anakin Skywalker's character arc. He no longer brings balance to the force and his act of sacrifice to save his son turns out to mean little in the longer term. It's a bigger act of betrayal to the narrative of the series than anything in TLJ that the so-called fans kicked up a fuss about .

Regarding the allies coming to the Resistance's aid, ever since Kenobi's "If you strike me down..." line in the original Star Wars, there has been the idea in the series that a Jedi can be more powerful / more useful to the protagonist dead than alive.

Luke says to Rey in The Last Jedi that he cannot be what she needs him to be i.e. a legendary warrior who can somehow take down the entire First Order if he only bothered to try. It may have been the legend of Luke Skywalker itself that handicapped the resistance from gaining allies - like Rey, thinking that he could handle it alone. By sacrificing his mortal self, Luke became a martyr for the Force and the resistance and his martyrdom is what coralled the masses - as hinted by the ending scene in TLJ with the kids on Canto Bight.

Luke says to Rey in The Last Jedi that he cannot be what she needs him to be i.e. a legendary warrior who can somehow take down the entire First Order if he only bothered to try. It may have been the legend of Luke Skywalker itself that handicapped the resistance from gaining allies - like Rey, thinking that he could handle it alone. By sacrificing his mortal self, Luke became a martyr for the Force and the resistance and his martyrdom is what coralled the masses - as hinted by the ending scene in TLJ with the kids on Canto Bight.
[/spoiler]

JJ either didn't understand this at all or refused to acknowledge it like so much of the rest of TLJ. Certain things in TROS already give the impression that he completely misremembers the previous movie, something I expect from random people on the internet discussing it, not the director of its sequel!

The Irishman

Martin Scorsese's decades-spanning tale of Frank Sheeran, a WW2 veteran in Philidelphia, whose fatalistic world-view sees him go from being a blue-collar truck driver to 'painting houses' for the Italian mob, is a very low-key film compared to his other gangster sagas, but it's still powered by exceptional performances from the main leads. Much has been made of Al Pacino's typically bombastic turn as Teamsters union boss Jimmy Hoffa and Joe Pesci as the genteel-yet-ruthless crime boss, but it's absolutely De Niro's film. With Based Bobby having made some extremely questionable role choices in recent years, it's almost a shock to see him right back at the top of his game, both witty in his confessional narration throughout the eras, and genuinely affecting through the wordless gaps inbetween.

There's also a strong sense of self-reflection on Scorsese's part. While the film is often playful, this feels like a much truer depiction of life as a small-time gangster than anything he's done before. Even if Sheeran's criminal activities allow him to live comfortably, the Scorsese takes great pains to avoid painting this (no pun intended) as in any way glamorous. Sheeran's life is dominated by long, banal stretches of having to watch over the people above him, without ever being put on their level. It's hardly a coincidence that the film is built around a long car journey he and Pesci make between states, punctuated by rest stops and constant cigarette breaks, purely because Pesci doesn't want their wives to smoke in his car.

Much has already been made of the fancy special effects work used to de-age the lead actors, but probably the best thing you could say about it is that it's not intrusive. Technology has advanced fantastically since the plastic-wrapped Jeff Bridges in Tron: Legacy, but while it takes a good 30-odd years off De Niro (on whom it's used most), even at his most CGI-enhanced, he never really looks like the 20-something version of himself he's supposed to be, perhaps because images of him at that age are still so much part of our collective media consciousness.

Ultimately though, while I completely understand why the film has been met with such near-universal critical acclaim, I would have to admit that I do miss the kind of electricity and dynamism that so marks out Scorsese's earlier movies. This is a mannered, subtle film that excels at what it does, but if you ask me what I'd rather rewatch right now, I'm afraid I'd still take Goodfellas.

Little Women

My News Years trip out with my mother brings me here. No I have not read the book though have studied feminist literature at various points of education.

This is likely going to be Emma Watson’s first big step to being seen as a potentially high-calibre actress and it’s certainly a great start at that! Her and all of the actresses have to play siblings at multiple points in their young lives and all alter and evolve their performances appropriately to their charater’s journey. This ensemble chemistry is probably some of the best of the year. Saoirse Ronan is the star of the show with by far the most damandint role but she takes to it in her stride.

I have done some research and do know a new scene was added for the film adaptation’s climax and its honestly pretty brilliant especially wheb you look into the struggles Louisa May Alcott hadgetting the book published in the form she wanted. The additional scene is somewhat of a metatextual tribute to the author.

My only complaints are that the structure of the film may be hard to follow with the way it leaps backward and forward in the timeline, particularly if you’re unfamiliar with the text. Also, the lighting, they go for realistic late 1800s authenticity which in many scenes can result in the actor’s faces looming too shrouded. Even others without my terrible eyesight had this issue.

In summation. I can certainly recommend Little Women to literary fans, film fans and anyone looming for movie to watcg with someone who doesn’t much care for spaceships and theatrics. Its probably a great ‘date’ movie too.

8/10

Also, I was left wondering: does wearing tbose huge, heavy looking, old-fashioned dresses facilitate weight loss and build body strength? They look it!

Konosuba

Really fun film this. Follows on well from the series. The first half of the film is really like watching the series. Lots of silly sketches without much consequence. The second half, and particularly the final third really ramp up and the movie budget really shines.

If you liked the series you'll enjoy this as its more of the same. A lot of silly fun and the cinema was all laughing at the jokes.

8/10 the extra half point over the series is for the movie budget really allowing the animation and facial expressions to shine.

Seen a few things since the turn of the year!

The Gentlemen
Guy Ritchie back doing Guy Ritchie things pretty much sums it up really, if you have seen one of his films you will know what to expect as all his trademarks and stuff are present and correct here. It feels like stepping into the past with this thing but that ain’t a bad thing as it’s pretty entertaining really. Nothing much more to say on this one really other than recommending this will depend on your opinion of Guy Ritchie films which if you didn’t like before, this won’t be changing your mind even in the slightest. Better outing in my opinion though than the last two movies directed by the Guy!

In the Line of Duty
This film came out earlier in the month but had a very limited run in cinemas so ended up renting it off of Prime Video. It’s very much like one of those cop action/thriller movies from the 80s/90s you would get that would be straight to video except with the added social media elements, It does have good action set pieces throughout in spite of it having some laughably bad lines at times and tonal issues. Not the biggest fan of the shaky camera style that the film uses to follow the action though. If this kind of thing is right up your alley then you’ll get a kick out of it and it may probably be just worth a rental, but you may probably be better waiting for it to appear on a Netflix or a Prime Video (out on DVD next month too but I’d probably avoid that route). Did hear though this film was originally going to be titled LIVE! which is by far a more awesome title than what we actually got!

It’s been probably on the top of my list of films I’ve been wanting to see since I first came across it and it absolutely delivers, it is a real thrilling experience and also a very immersive film too. There were moments where I was literally holding my breathe and staring it the screen because of the tension created and then I would feel a moment of relief when it briefly stops and then the next thing would come along that would have me holding breathe, it’s been a long time since I’ve felt this way. Great performances and fantastic soundtrack/sound editing too. It’s a technically outstanding film that needs to be seen on the big screen in order to get the best experience from it!

Star Wars-The Rise Of Skywalker-in spite of what all the reviews I've read about it I really liked it a lot. I thought it was a really good (if somewhat rushed) conclusion to the Star Wars saga.

Konosuba movie-twas' a really funny sequel to the tv series although it did get somewhat serious in tone during the last 1/3 of the movie.

El Topo (1970)

Alejandro Jodorowsky directs and stars in this 'acid western', a surrealist adventure following the titular wanderer and his son, as Topo takes on a murderous gang, before being goaded by a woman he rescues into duelling four legendary gunfighters, each of whom represents a different school of philosophy. This is a striking work of singular vision, but its reliance on nihilistic spaghetti western tropes (casual cruelty, sexual violence, graphic gore, mysogyny... you name it) makes it frequently repellent and it can be a bit much for the uninitiated - there were walkouts at the screening I was in.

On the whole, it was a worthwhile experience, but it's not something I'd be in a hurry to revisit.

Rewatched Your Name
Still a masterpiece. I'm crying my eyes out. It's so good its offensive. Animation, characterisation, music,story, everything is perfect.

Watched another couple of films on Thursday & Friday.

Seberg
In all honesty a pretty flat film, there is an interesting story in here that in other hands could be a deep-interesting film that depicts the plight of Jean Seberg but I don’t the film really does the subject matter justice. Kristen Stewart is probably the saving grace of the film, she continues to do some really interesting stuff. Don’t think it will leave much of an impression on me and I think going by box office numbers it won’t have left much of an impression on others either.

Just Mercy
This movie really does a lot to show the impact of what capital punishment can have on an individual and those around them within the community, the legal system and society as a whole. Great performances from the cast which in any other year would be shoe-in for awards contention. It very much is a small, understated movie but at the same time feels very cinematic probably due to this movie being vital viewing due to the subject matter on hand.

Twin Peaks Fire Walk With me - Wanted to rewatch this prior to fully rewatching the 1990-91 show as wanted to see what it was like when I forgot most of the show. I still love it, i don't get why if you liked the show people hated this in this in the 90s its amazing, its the study of someone who is already dead inside in following the end of Laura Palmer, and Ray Wise as Leland is amazing. The initial 30 mins side trip how essential would that blue rose become in the 2017 series. If you hate this film you will hate the revival, but I love both and FWWM could now be my favourite film of all time especially how well the 2017 series follows it and also episode 29. 10/10

Twin Peaks Fire Walk With me - Wanted to rewatch this prior to fully rewatching the 1990-91 show as wanted to see what it was like when I forgot most of the show. I still love it, i don't get why if you liked the show people hated this in this in the 90s its amazing, its the study of someone who is already dead inside in following the end of Laura Palmer, and Ray Wise as Leland is amazing. The initial 30 mins side trip how essential would that blue rose become in the 2017 series. If you hate this film you will hate the revival, but I love both and FWWM could now be my favourite film of all time especially how well the 2017 series follows it and also episode 29. 10/10
Did you also watch the Missing Pieces?

I don’t think I watched it when I originally viewed FWWM so I’ll be watching it this time around. Having a blast so far as I love the cast and most of the characters.

Half way through and they really add to the film only one I’m really sad they cut is Donna’s family as it really shows that’s what Laura wants and why Laura protects and stops Donna later in the film. And the message about the angel helps tie the end together.
Do kinda wish we could have a 3 and half hour long cut.

Back