Rate the Last Film You Watched

Day 7

I cheated. Instead of a movie I played a bit of forbidden siren. It's a good if very difficult horror game from the creators of Silent Hill.
Have had this on my playlist not realising it was from the creators of Silent Hill. Not sure if I actually bought this or the second one during a sale. Now I'm tempted to play a horror game for the season too heh. If you've never played Hellblade: Senua's sacrifice and like Norse mythology with psychological horror, I would highly recommend that for the next season perhaps.

31 Days of Halloween 2024! Day XI: Cannibal marathon: Man From Deep River (1972, Umberto Lenzi), Eaten Alive! (1980, Umberto Lenzi), Cannibal Holocaust (1980, Ruggero Deodato), Cannibal Ferox (1981, Umberto Lenzi)

IMG_9901.jpeg
(No poster for Eaten Alive as they’re all too graphic + nudity)
IMG_9906.jpeg
IMG_9907.jpeg
Both Lenzi and Deodato are synonymous with the birth and rise of the cannibal subgenre of horror, which led to the Cannibal Boom of the 70s and early 80s, from which I chose four films to marathon here.

MFDR feels more like a cannibal romance film than the more grisly films it inspired, whilst EA amps up the shock factor and violence, distinguishing itself though incorporating a Jonestown-like Cult to the story. Both it and CF apparently borrow footage from prior cannibal films and in CF’s case it goes further to feel like a retread of CH with certain plot elements and being the overall weakest film here.

CH is arguably the most well known cannibal-themed movie of them all, incorporating a found-footage narrative as footage from a missing documentary film crew is examined in an attempt to figure out what went down in the Amazon rainforest when they journeyed there but never returned. It was a brutal and unpleasant watch, but I couldn’t look away as the chaos unfolded (and needed a breather after it was over.)

Overall, the cannibal subgenre is a hard one to recommend to horror fans unless you know what you’re getting yourself in for. These were rather well-made entries but their especially violent content makes for some difficult watches. However, part of these marathons for me is being able to explore new sub-genres of horror, so it was at least a change of pace to explore some notable entries. 3/5, 3/5, 3.5/5, 2.5/5
I’ve put this in spoilers - next few entries will be a similar situation before I get onto some less heavy horror watches next week.

Last edited:
Back