Rate the Last Film You Watched

Yami

Thousand Master
MV5BYzMwNWY2ZjUtMTQ4YS00NDVjLWFmMGMtMmUxZjlmODhlYjNjXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMjE4NzY3Mw@@._V1_.jpg

Lady Oscar

One of the earliest live-action manga adaptations, Lady Oscar is an English-language French/Japanese co-produced adaptation of Riyoko Ikeda's classic The Rose of Versailles. It's a fascinating entry in Demy's filmography - his most political work up to that point, with an anger and purpose that he would carry through to his final decade with Une chambre en ville and Parking prior to his tragic death from HIV/AIDS.

Despite being an adaptation, it feels at times to be a deeply personal work: a piece of queer, revolutionary pop-art about a girl raised as a boy that is as much about sexuality and gender identity as it is about sticking two fingers up to the bourgeoise - from Jacques Demy, a (as far as I'm aware, closeted) bisexual whose sexuality was rarely, if ever, discussed or addressed in his work or that of his great wife, Agnes Varda.

I don't think Lady Oscar has ever been available here or in the States, but I imported the Japanese Blu-Ray release which boasts a gorgeous restoration from a 6K scan and a great interview with star Catriona MacColl, whose career then took her to three films by Italian horror great Lucio Fulci - City of the Living Dead, The Beyond, and The House By the Cemetery.

Yami

Thousand Master
Aftersun - Holy -! The debut feature from writer-director Charlotte Wells explores a young woman's memory of a childhood holiday to Turkey with her father, who is played by Paul Mescal. It's extraordinary; I doubt I'll see a better film this year. It's the way it doesn't just explore memory but the texture of it, heightening the emotion, the melancholy, the sense of grief and loss for something but for what? The past? A person? What was or what is now? Also the best use of Queen/David Bowie in a film that I've ever seen. A

Bones and All - Luca Guadagnino reunites with Timothee Chalamet in a cannibal romance that takes us on a road trip across the less explored parts of Reagan's America. I suspect it might not be to everyone's tastes as it doesn't shy away from some of the gorier aspects of its subject matter but, at its core, it's a tender, moving love story between two individuals who find themselves as outsiders, with tastes and appetites they can't control that threaten their humanity. Fantastic. A-