Rate the last anime you watched out of 10

Attack on Titan S2 - 8/10

Really enjoyed that, very close to giving it a 9 tbh. I usually do like 12 episodes coz I like a quick pace and I wasn’t let down here. Some superb stuff. I think what I said mostly on S1 carries over so won’t repeat myself. Other than that honestly don’t know what to say. Looking forward to season 3. Probably watch that next week as started Tiger & Bunny with my son (rewatch for me) at the weekend, so finish that off this week.

Only complaint I have is actually not to do with the series itself. Every episode on the Funimation app suffered from a stutter (x3) on every panning shot (which this series has a tone of). I’m sure I have noticed it before on the Funimation app but not every time and certainly not this frequently. It was very annoying. I checked it on my iPad and it was the same. Guess it’s how they encode them but it wasn't very well done. I do expect it but seemed worse on this.

Devil is a Part Timer.

This didn't grip me quite as well as I was hoping it would, but it's an interesting premise. My favourite "fish out of water" show remains Miss Kobayashi's Dragon Maid.

The concept behind this is fun. Season 2 is apparently incoming so I'd check that out when it's showing.

7.5/10

Vinland Saga.

I had a hard time rating this one, I was kind of tempted on giving it either a 7 or an 8, but I think I have to settle on somewhere in the middle.

It had some good bits, some less good bits, some shady CGI and still frame pans, some decent CGI and good animation. Bit of a mixture really, not sure if the eventual Bluray release would fix up some of the animation issues in the broadcast version, but might be enough to tip it up to an 8/10 if it does.

7.5/10

Vinland Saga.

I had a hard time rating this one, I was kind of tempted on giving it either a 7 or an 8, but I think I have to settle on somewhere in the middle.

It had some good bits, some less good bits, some shady CGI and still frame pans, some decent CGI and good animation. Bit of a mixture really, not sure if the eventual Bluray release would fix up some of the animation issues in the broadcast version, but might be enough to tip it up to an 8/10 if it does.

7.5/10
Really want to see this but waiting to see if gets a dub.

Witch Hunter Robin
After running into some problems, I was finally able to rewatch this series. Considering that it's coming up on 20 years old, it's aged well. If it was widescreen and HD, it could pass for a current show, which is something you can't say for a lot of early digipaint anime. A large part of that is down to its strong aesthetic. Instead of following trends of the time, it has its own distinctive look, with every character, costume, location, and object meticulously designed. I can't think of another show where I spend so much time admiring the design of walls, doors, and phones. It's an eye for place and atmosphere that would crop up again in Shuko Murase's later work, Ergo Proxy.

Witch Hunter Robin is probably the closest we've ever been to getting an X-Files anime, though Robin, Amon and co. are so weapons-grade stylish that Mulder and Scully look like dorks by comparison. Like a season of X-Files, the show splits its time between episodic investigations and ongoing conspiracies, with the former taking up the first half of the show and the latter closing it out.

It's biggest weakness is that its mysteries can be too easy to figure out. In particular, one of the twists in the final episode is so heavily telegraphed that you'll probably figure it out in the first episode. To be fair, English speakers have an unfair advantage here, since some of the giveaway clues are English words that the intended Japanese audience wouldn't necessarily catch. It doesn't detract from my enjoyment of the series, since I just like watching these characters going about their work, and the story does change gears after the halfway point. The emphasis is usually more on the chase, the action, and the emotional fallout of what happens, and in those areas it succeeds.

8/10

@Dai I watched WHR recently too, looks like we had some similar thoughts on the series. Edit: I now realise how close that abbreviation is to my username.

Ohoshi-sama no Rail - 6/10
Mostly a movie for fans of WW2 or things based on autobiography novels. It's much less interesting than Grave of the Fireflies or Who's Left Behind?, but still a fine watch.

Kizumonogatari I: Tekketsu-hen - 7/10
Kizumonogatari II: Nekketsu-hen - 7/10
What's there so say, it's "Monogatari" series. It's not my favorite part and I doubt anything will change with final movie. I just like it, and that's all.

Star Blazers: Space Battleship Yamato 2199

I really wanted to like this one more, but I think as someone who isn't a trekky the vibe is a little lost on me. I could appreciate how well it seemed to be made though, someone who likes this kind of space opera stuff will certainly enjoy it more than I would.

7/10

Niimi 10/10

I won't be watching 2202 as I just didn't enjoy 2199 enough, and I felt 2199 ended at a pretty good place.

Witch Hunter Robin
After running into some problems, I was finally able to rewatch this series. Considering that it's coming up on 20 years old, it's aged well. If it was widescreen and HD, it could pass for a current show, which is something you can't say for a lot of early digipaint anime. A large part of that is down to its strong aesthetic. Instead of following trends of the time, it has its own distinctive look, with every character, costume, location, and object meticulously designed. I can't think of another show where I spend so much time admiring the design of walls, doors, and phones. It's an eye for place and atmosphere that would crop up again in Shuko Murase's later work, Ergo Proxy.

Witch Hunter Robin is probably the closest we've ever been to getting an X-Files anime, though Robin, Amon and co. are so weapons-grade stylish that Mulder and Scully look like dorks by comparison. Like a season of X-Files, the show splits its time between episodic investigations and ongoing conspiracies, with the former taking up the first half of the show and the latter closing it out.

It's biggest weakness is that its mysteries can be too easy to figure out. In particular, one of the twists in the final episode is so heavily telegraphed that you'll probably figure it out in the first episode. To be fair, English speakers have an unfair advantage here, since some of the giveaway clues are English words that the intended Japanese audience wouldn't necessarily catch. It doesn't detract from my enjoyment of the series, since I just like watching these characters going about their work, and the story does change gears after the halfway point. The emphasis is usually more on the chase, the action, and the emotional fallout of what happens, and in those areas it succeeds.

8/10

I'm a big fan of WHR, and didn't even realize that it was done by the same guy as Ergo Proxy - good to know!

aposters3.jpg

Star Blazers: Space Battleship Yamato 2199

I really wanted to like this one more, but I think as someone who isn't a trekky the vibe is a little lost on me. I could appreciate how well it seemed to be made though, someone who likes this kind of space opera stuff will certainly enjoy it more than I would.

7/10

Niimi 10/10

I won't be watching 2202 as I just didn't enjoy 2199 enough, and I felt 2199 ended at a pretty good place.

:eek:Gah! ! really need to find that un-friend button here in the forum... lol. 😁

Well, at least you're a fan of Niimi, too... 👍

Another added to the watchlist. It doesn't appear to be streaming anywhere, good luck me trying to eventually nab one and hoping it isn't as impossible an endeavour as Blood+...
Little tip, the old beez DVD release is the same in 5 countries, bar the language on the back, and thus will probably be cheaper to import:
DSC_2814.JPG
DSC_2813.JPG

I got my copy, the French version, along with Planetes, from @Luna who's based in Germany.
It, along with Planetes, were on AnimeCentral and I got them to rewatch, but still haven't got round to it. And now Planetes has a Blu-ray coming (hint hint @anime_andrew)

Just thought I'd check a different Amazon:
£80

Or €15! Hard choice!

I'm a big fan of WHR, and didn't even realize that it was done by the same guy as Ergo Proxy - good to know!
I was curious what Murase had been up to recently, and it turns out he directed Gundam: Hathaway. So now I'm interested in a movie about one of the Gundam characters I hate the most.

Little tip, the old beez DVD release is the same in 5 countries, bar the language on the back, and thus will probably be cheaper to import:
Top tip!! That is very good to know, thank you! I've always preferentially imported US versions that end up not working on my PS4, over European ones for fear that they won't have English subs, and probably at my own incompetentence to be able to check properly...

Mushoku Tensei 1st cour

I honestly can't say if this is cursed or not, but it was mostly very good. Art was really beautiful, I loved the world building and the action sequences, nice music etc. If it wasn't for the lolicon content I'd give this a higher score. I hope the next season(s) tone down on this.

8/10

:eek:Gah! ! really need to find that un-friend button here in the forum... lol. 😁

Well, at least you're a fan of Niimi, too... 👍

Are you a fan of Star Trek? I ask because I can definitely see how it would fit with fans of shows like Star Trek.

Back