Rate the last anime you watched out of 10

If you had any idea of the games themselves, and most kids did, then you knew it was Japanese.

Not so much in later gens I guess as by that time, pokemon as a craze was embedded, but I was in middle school at the time (1997/1998), and I remember the craze first hand, first the games, then the cards, and the anime sort of lingered around the edge as the thing to watch.

I guess some of us later transisted to other material, how many of us BECAUSE of pokemon is debateable, but Pokemon is something I think most people my age would remember :)

I guess I'll believe you then! I'm a little bit older than that, and I got into anime a bit later, so I am open to some education in the matter.

I would then definitely agree with the "what are you talking about Akira was plenty easy enough to get" angle, though, since it was around in a couple of different forms on home media (I think I bought different versions both before *and* after I became an "anime fan") and shown on TV more than once. I thought maybe Reaper was referring to a much more recent period.

ilmaestro said:
I just remember Pokemon being localized to **** and no-one having any way of knowing it was Japanese.

Oh yeah, I'd say Pokemon was a pretty distinctly Japanese show, even with the cheesy (brilliant) dub and whatnot. I remember seeing it about when it was aired and knowing immediately that it wasn't American or English and was one of those 'Japanese or Chinese shows'. Stylistically it was just so unmistakably Japanese.

Compared to what though? How did people for whom this was their introduction to anime see that?

I can buy the "following on from the games" argument fine, but not the "I just knew".

To be fair, remembering a lot of the stuff that was on terrestrial back then (I didn't have Sky at the time), the animation was way different to most of the other stuff on (because it was an anime). I guess most of us associated the show with the games, and recognised it wasn't american and heard it was Japan. If you were into the games this was an even bigger thing, as I remember the debates on 'that other pokemon game we didn't get' (Green)
Digimon came along a couple of years later off the back of the initial craze started by Pokemon, and, especially if you saw the film, that was more obviously Japanese.

Even if you avoided the games, I think a lot of the material identified 4Kid and Nintendo, and most people had heard of Nintendo.

vashdaman said:
Though, it's not necessarily the best gateway anime. I remember I loved it so much that I would tell all my friends about it. One day a friend was at my house and asked if we could watch this film I was on about, so I excitedly put the film on, thinking that Akira would surely turn him into an anime enthusiast like me in no time. The reality however, was that he sat there completely blank faced for 3/4 of the film. Even the most visceral and thrilling action moments were unable to stop him from looking like he was only just about about managing to restrain himself from walking out, for fear of being rude. I didn't intend to put the poor guy through suffering so when it became abundantly clear Akira just wasn't going to melt his mind, I turned it off and suggested we go outside, he looked genuinely relieved.... :(

I know the feeling... Exactly this comes to mind

tumblr_lr8iqlP6qV1qhqpeuo6_500.png

ilmaestro said:
Yes, I understand that, but who are the[se] people? These swathes of Pokemon lovers who have migrated over to watching other anime? Really?

Well I'm included there. Pokemon was the first anime I watched and also the first time I was made aware of anime. In fact I think one episode of SMTV live had a whole pokemon behind the scenes style thingwhen they visit Japan and they talked about it being anime, so that's how I found out :p.

That said it didn't kickstart my interest in anime proper, that wasn't until I was about 17ish

To be honest when I first heard of the cartoon, I had no clue it had anything to with a game. But like Alex I had glimpsed some of the anime that used to be shown on channel 4 late at night or whatever. I used to also like comics and had been to a couple comic shops and seen anime/manga stuff, though I never actually knew anything about it, but I guess somewhere along that line I picked up that it was related to the oriental countries.

So maybe I did have a slightly better chance at identifying it then other kids did, but it was still the first anime I actually watched.
Also, I can actually think of nothing more Japanese and anime like than Pokemon, I don't even think Digimon was actually as distinctive as Pokemon. I mean the multiple nurse joys, Brock, the cheap and cheerful dated looking animation(which was part of the charm), Team rocket. It was just sooo Japanese.

I watched Pokemon as a kid - or what CITV showed of it - and even after watching Digimon aftewards, it took 10+ years for me to get interested in anime.

My main memories of Pokemon are the games, the cards and the Pokerap from SM:TV Live!

Quick question: is Pokemon any good?
I always thought it was a show based on flashy puppets and with no actual plot, so I never watched a single minute. Did I miss something?

Teo

You missed a lot teonzo.

Personally, the first anime I watched was Pokémon. However, I had no idea what anime was at the time - same with Digimon a few years later. The first anime I can remember watching and consciously knowing it was anime, was when Jetix shown Shaman King.

teonzo said:
I always thought it was a show based on flashy puppets and with no actual plot, so I never watched a single minute. Did I miss something?

Teo

You missed nothing, teonzo. NOTHING.

teonzo said:

Teo

Honestly? Probably not. I feel a sense of nostalgia for the first season, but thinking about it seriously I feel like it was kinda hollow. Digimon was much better and actually had a conclusive plot beyond "walk here > help someone > keep walking"

Slayers Next.

10/10

Just aboslutely brilliant and I loved every minute of it. Can't wait for when Try arrives in the post :D So glad I didn't read that random Slayers novel I bought as it covered some of the episodes of this season.

You missed nothing, teonzo. NOTHING

Honestly? Probably not. I feel a sense of nostalgia for the first season, but thinking about it seriously I feel like it was kinda hollow. Digimon was much better and actually had a conclusive plot beyond "walk here > help someone > keep walking"

LIES! All filthy lies, teo, don't believe them.

Pokemon is just such good wholesome anime (aside from the cruel attitude the show has towards non humans, of course). Really, I can sit down in front of an episode of Pokemon right now and just become strangely hypnotized in the colourful action. Afterwards I won't have a clue what I've watched or even what I've just done for the last half hour, it's like meditation, you enter a completely mindless trace.
So I would disagree with Sparrow, the fact it has no tangible plot other than "walk to new city, beat gym leader" is actually it's greatest strength! Digimon may have more of a plot, but it's just more of a crap plot!

baccano! 8/10

Great plot and the way story goes is fantastic. Moving foward and back, it gives you different views from the same moment and that is great. The characters are good and those two funny duo made me laugh a few times.

Better than durarara indeed. Still gotta see durarara again to understand beter some stuff. The series was too long in my opinion and it lost "something" in the middle.

Anyway, everyone should watch this great series.

vashdaman said:
You missed nothing, teonzo. NOTHING

LIES! All filthy lies, teo, don't believe them.

Pokemon is just such good wholesome anime (aside from the cruel attitude the show has towards non humans, of course). Really, I can sit down in front of an episode of Pokemon right now and just become strangely hypnotized in the colourful action. Afterwards I won't have a clue what I've watched or even what I've just done for the last half hour, it's like meditation, you enter a completely mindless trace.
So I would disagree with Sparrow, the fact it has no tangible plot other than "walk to new city, beat gym leader" is actually it's greatest strength! Digimon may have more of a plot, but it's just more of a crap plot!

Digimon has a much better overarching plot (Speaking for the first 3 series), but aside from the last part of the series (usually anyway) that is usually forgotten and it is monster of the week (ugh) as usual.

But disagree, Digimon was much better (And I was 17 when I first watched it!)

teonzo said:

Teo
Nope, not unless you're asking about the games.

Also watching Digimon Tamers right now and it's a fun show, constant comedic moments written into the dub can get a little tiresome though.

Back