Rate the last anime you watched out of 10

Katanagatari-Pure art at its best,a series which is heavy in dialouge but never gets bogged down by its own stroy telling,action packed to the brim to which certain scenes left me breathless at some points and a great cast of characters,blend that all together and you have one of the finest anime series ever produced,mindblowing stuff indeed.10/10.

ninja resurrection 7.5/10

It does not get an 8 because of that crappy ending. And when i thought things would get hotter, it just ended LOL I was like what da hell...

Anyway, great classic old school animation and a lot a of blood and gore. A great title to my collection indeed. eheh

Witchblade
6/10
Pretty dissapointing. But then again should i be surprised? It was made by Gonzo. Nothing really happend during the series. It was Dull and boring up untill the last 2 discs, where it got quite sad and emotional at times. I loved the relationship between the mother and daughter and it was very sad at the end. Although this didnt really save the series for me.

Not the worst anime I've seen, but definately not the best eaither.

bakum4tsu said:
ninja resurrection 7.5/10

It does not get an 8 because of that crappy ending. And when i thought things would get hotter, it just ended LOL I was like what da hell...

Anyway, great classic old school animation and a lot a of blood and gore. A great title to my collection indeed. eheh

y..y..you actually... liked it!? I couldn't sleep for weeks after seeing that mess of a movie, in fact, I'm I'm still not quite right due to the metal scars that film gave me. I don't mean to be insulting your taste of course, it's just I have beef with that film. I think I dislike it even more than I dislike X the movie!

lol i'm a samurai fan so i love almost everything that comes out of it. I think now you can understand why i did like it a bit. i did not really enjoyed it obviously cause it was far from being anything good and maybe i overrated the number i gave it. :lol:

But like i said, its samurai stuff so :p

Too much hate? There can never be enough for Ninja Resurrection! Ninja scroll was aight, certainly not as awful as Resurrection, in fact I was one of the many who were suckered into Resurrection thinking it was a Scroll sequel. But if I'm honest I've never felt Scroll lived up to it's hype, either. Probably because I wanted it for so long, before my mum would let me buy it, and I built up unrealistic expectations for it. When I did finally watch it..well, I thought it was OK-ish but I was never overly impressed.

bakum4tsu said:
lol i'm a samurai fan so i love almost everything that comes out of it. I think now you can understand why i did like it a bit. in facti did not really enjoyed it obviously cause it was far from being anything good and maybe i overrated the number i gave it. :lol:

But like i said, its samurai stuff so :p

No, no, I didn't mean to criticize your opinion or the score you gave, I suppose some did actually enjoy the film. I was just a bit surprised, and generally feel the urge to bash the movie at any given opportunity (just as I do X the movie). :wink:

sanji no 1 said:
Yeah i think Ninja Resurrection gets too much hate.

Do you Like Ninja Scrool the series by any chance?

I enjoyed the ninja scroll series yes. Not good as the movie but good enough since i already saw it 2 times and have the boxset like i showed some pictures in another thread. 8)

Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood - 8/10

A mostly excellent series with great writing and several truly memorable characters, but one that's dragged down by a few annoyances. Brotherhood's inconsistent pacing is a major issue for me; it starts out lightning fast, covering the early material in double-quick time, and gets slower and slower as the series progresses. How many episodes were devoted to the final act, which took place over a single day? A few too many, I'd say. The pacing also suffers during the more protracted battles, when Brotherhood starts to feel like a shounen fighting show, but fortunately there were enough epic moments to go around that it never dragged too much.

Also, there are too many characters at the end and the chimeras are goofy as hell. Seriously.

Bakemonogatari-Well i finally got round to watching this to see what all the fuss was about and overall i,m very impressed by it,one of those shows to watch with the lights off and get engrossed in it as it does take some time to get into,very heavy on the dialogue front and pretty slow paced in some places but thats the whole point of the show i suppose,one downside as much as i loved the series i just couldnt really click with any of the characters not that i hated them they were just not likeable enough for me to really care about them,but the plot kept me glued to my screen and i loved the whole feel of the show and while its not as smart as it thinks it is its refreshing when shows like this do come around to break the mold and push the viewer to experience new things and as a work of art it is simply mindblowing and just bursts with new and bright and original ideas and another showcase piece from the mighty studio Shaft and proves once again that Akiyuki Shinbo is a force to be reckoned with in the anime industry,the man is a genius,so overall its a show that is not going to be everyones cup of tea but then again i think every anime fan should at least see it just for the experience alone.8/10.

Infinite Ryvius

A sci-fi opera where a group of boys and girls (about 16 years old) find themselves alone on a spaceship and try to survive. The sci-fi part is quite good, there are some interesting ideas and I didn't notice any particular flaw. But the main focus is not on the sci-fi setting, but on the human interactions between the crew and how those boys change trouble after trouble: this can recall Now and Then, Here and There, both series aim to show how innocent people can transform if forced to face difficult paths. All the main characters get a well defined development; there are also a good amount of secondary characters, almost all of them got a detailed treatment by the authors. The protagonist is in the league of Shinji, but with a different development. There is a badass captain that simply doesn't anything but sitting on the chair imposing his badassery (too bad he was spoiled in the last episode, this is my only complaint). There is also a character that recalls Dr Slump.
Overall I really liked this series, it has a well thought and interesting story.

Score: 8 / 10

Teo

Last edited by a moderator:
Ninja scroll (the movie)

I decided to rewatch the seminal Ninja scroll after being reminded of it in this thread earlier. My overpowering thoughts on the film right now are that it does indeed live up to all its praise. Which is interesting as I initially saw the film in about 2002 and didn't think quite so highly of it then, despite the fact one would think Scroll would be most appealing to the hormone riddled teenage mind.

I think I know what my main issue with Scroll was when I initially watched it: the fact it wasn't a traditional samurai movie and was actually wildly inventive. I grew up loving Kurosawa and in 2002 I had just seen and loved the Samurai X Trust and Betrayal OVA's. Coming from that, Ninja Scroll seemed crude, gratuitous and flimsy in comparison. Now, however I can just appreciate Scroll from what it is, which is one of the wackiest but most creative Samurai bloodbath's animated.

The first thing that struck me straight away, was the brilliant and often hideous character designs that are so unlike the typical anime fare we get nowadays. Ninja Scroll is all about square chins, mile long shoulders, bulging facial features and sultry, smouldering females. The second thing that struck me was the uninhibited violence on display. They surely don't make many anime like this anymore!

However, that alone wouldn't have elevated Scroll into classic status. What ensures that, is Scroll's willingness to be creative and constantly add little twists and tweaks to could have been a very boring bloodbath, otherwise.
The main plot is basically an excuse to launch Jumpei into a succession of battles against the next unique and formidable "devil" ninja. The main story actually ended up being better then I thought it would be, but nevertheless the main reason we're all watching this is to see just how Jumbie is going to dispatch his next foe.
Each of the devil ninja's has some unique quirk to them and the way the film plays around with these quirks or powers during the fight scenes, ends up making nearly each fight fresh and memorable. Only one fight left me feeling somewhat flat, and that's the fight which is also preceded by the inevitable 90's, fingers up the vagina-anime trend moment. Though thankfully that scene isn't quite as bad as Golgo 13's equivalent.

The final fight, however, is a true tour de force. A truly worthy climax to the film. Though, despite what I wrote a couple paragraphs above, it's really not just about the fights in Ninja scroll. It's about the little surprises. Not least of which is the surprising humour and the quality one liners. Most surprisingly, though, is Ninja Scroll somehow beating all the odds and creating a slightly touching relationship between Jubei and his female ninja friend Kagero, by the end.

Originally released in 1993, Ninja Scroll seems to one of the rare ones that age like a fine wine.

9/10

People suggesting that Katana is better than Bake... :(

fabricatedlunatic said:
Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood - 8/10

The pacing also suffers during the more protracted battles, when Brotherhood starts to feel like a shounen fighting show
In it's defence, it pretty much is. ^^; Just a really good one.

Who is that in your avatar, btw? I feel like I should know.

Castle of Cagliostro
7/10
Pretty decent for a Ghibli film considering i hate them. The animation for its age is absolutely amazing and has beautiful backgrounds. Lupin is actually a really cool character. Ill have to check out more of his films.

My problem with the film is, well to be perfectly honest, its pretty darn slow and at sometimes very boring. All the happens is they talk, walk around some and more talking. There wasnt enough action scenes like the car chase IMO.

Overall it was good and kept me entertained, even with the drawbacks.

ilmaestro said:
People suggesting that Katana is better than Bake... :(
It really is quite tragic ;_;

As for Brotherhood, I don't think it deserves to be lumped in with Naruto and Bleach and their ilk. Even its worst shounen excesses are tolerable.

Who is that in your avatar, btw? I feel like I should know.
It's Mikage Tachibana from PP: Pianissimo, an eroge by Innocent Grey (them wot did Kara no Shoujo). Original. Cleavage ahoy!

vashdaman said:
Ninja scroll (the movie)

They surely don't make many anime like this anymore!

9/10

True that. Sometimes, I think we should all have a whip-round for Kawajiri in the vague hope it would help him fund the Ninja Scroll sequel he allegedly still wants to make. Or at least spur him on with that 'Ninja Ten Battles' net animation that was announced a while back.

When you mentioned Kurosawa though, it occurred to me how good it would be if they made an anime version of Yojimbo. And apparently someone else agreed. I'd honestly never heard of this one before. Sadly, it seems to be a contemporary update rather than a straight up adaptation, but it might still be worth checking out.

-100 points for not making the main character look like Toshiro Mifune though.

Back