Rate the last anime you watched out of 10

Pleased to hear about Trigun. I knew it was just gonna be the same kind of standard and style as the Bebop movie as soon as I even heard thr rumours about it, but that's really all I want.

A feature length episode of Trigun, what could be better? :)

I also agree mostly with your Summer wars review. It's the atmosphere and overall warm feeling to film that really make it. It is pretty much by the numbers in terms of story, however the characters are so likeable, and the film won't fail to put a smile on your face.

So I would go for a 8/10 on that one.

Living for the Day After Tomorrow (Assate no Houkou) - 8/10

Touching drama about a 12 year-old girl, Karada, who desperately wants to grow up, and a 24 year-old woman, Shoko, who longs to relive her lost childhood. When they make their wishes at a magic stone shine, together, somehow they end up with their ages reversed.

While the premise seems a bit gimmicky, in reality it allows the writers to develop the characters in interesting ways. The common thread of Karada and Shoko's relationship is Hiro, who is Karada's brother and Shoko's ex-boyfriend. Karada feels as though she is burden on Hiro because he became her guardian when their parents died in a car accident some years earlier. This entailed returning from the United States where he had been studying and living with Shoko, who is angry that Hiro left her and resentful towards Karada.

But it plays out in rather low-key way, the show never becoming overly sentimental or dramatic. It could have been unbearably angsty but it's kept from being too heavy by the lightly comic scenes revolving around Karada and Shoko's struggle to adapt to their new bodies and lives. Shoko's straight-talking and slightly cynical world view take on a humourous dimension when the words are coming from what appears to be a cute young girl, and Karada's bumbling about as a result of having little clue about the real world is very sweet.

The only real negative point is that the extent to which the plot is driven by coincidence; after a while it starts to become ridiculous. It's a bit of lazy writing in an otherwise wonderfully written show that even managed to draw a few tears from my manly self.

The visuals are impressive, with attractive character designs, a lovely pastel colour palette, and backgrounds that look like watercolour paintings. Gentle, evocative piano music accompanies the show's more pensive and powerful moments. Not much to complain about here.

It's moving, funny, and sweet and the lunatic recommends to all.

*bzz* *bzz* *pedant mode engaged*

It's "asatte no houkou".

/mode disengaged

I really dislike how inelegant the English title is by comparison (imo), and this seems to happen more and more since the general move (has this really happened, or am I imagining it?) to translating most series' titles.

ilmaestro said:
I really dislike how inelegant the English title is by comparison (imo), and this seems to happen more and more since the general move (has this really happened, or am I imagining it?) to translating most series' titles.

New-ADV seems to be making a huge push towards translating titles to obfuscate their original one as much as possible (it makes for an interesting guessing game, I suppose?). Funimation has always done it but now there's barely anyone left who doesn't :/

R

Rui said:
ilmaestro said:

New-ADV seems to be making a huge push towards translating titles to obfuscate their original one as much as possible (it makes for an interesting guessing game, I suppose?). Funimation has always done it but now there's barely anyone left who doesn't :/

R
Most titles don't need translating, so it's rather hard to tell, and so many series have an English title anyway, or are simply a name.
FUNi don't TL titles always. They streamed Shikabane hime as that but disk release is called Corpse Princess. Baka to Test to Shoukanjuu ended as "Baka and test: summon the Beasts", just looks random to me.

What would be a better translation of the title? I think Asatte (much thanks for the correct spelling) means 'tomorrow' but that's about it. The title does sound rather clunky; perphaps Sentai didn't think the show's premise was a hard enough sell?

Well, it's not a "terrible" translation, I guess, in that it's not strictly wrong (asatte is the day after tomorrow, houkou is direction), but I think that a) as you say it just sounds too clunky in English and b) carries a much more positive vibe than when I read "asatte no houkou" - the phrase in Japanese is generally used to indicate when someone is thinking about something irrelevant, or something that you shouldn't be concerning yourself with when you already have "today" to worry about, never mind "tomorrow" before you get to the day after that.

Obviously the title was chosen not just for that meaning, but because it also ties into the temporal issues at work in the narrative, but to me the English title doesn't just lose something in translation, it actively sends a different message of trying hard, keeping going, etc.

As for other translated titles, I'm not sure what you're trying to say, Reaper. You said Funi don't always translate titles, and then gave two examples of where they had translated them? Either way, there are far more series coming out these days where I see the English title and either have to stop and think to remember what series it is, or flat out can't even get it after reading the title. Maybe they should go back to the days of just making up completely unrelated titles and editing multiple series together at once. >_>

ilmaestro said:
As for other translated titles, I'm not sure what you're trying to say, Reaper. You said Funi don't always translate titles, and then gave two examples of where they had translated them? Either way, there are far more series coming out these days where I see the English title and either have to stop and think to remember what series it is, or flat out can't even get it after reading the title. Maybe they should go back to the days of just making up completely unrelated titles and editing multiple series together at once. >_>
Bakatest's English titile isn't a translation, it's a random Engrish mess.
Title being unrecognisable to fans of the show is not good, as they're a reliable market.
Looking at the list, excluding Kimi ga Nozomu Eien (rumbling hearts), Zetai Shougeki~ Platonic Heart (master of Martial hearts) and Meitantei Conan (case closed) (and a robotech OVA); they're all perfectly recognisable if not the original title.
Sentai/Section 23 seem to have the problem, alone.

Of course it's a translation, the original title is in Japanese, duh! You were the one arguing that "hikikomori" should be in the dictionary, so I'm fairly certain that "baka" is recognizable enough by now.

Which "list" is this? A Funi release list from the last year or two? It's always handier to link to/cite things that you're talking about.

ilmaestro said:
Of course it's a translation, the original title is in Japanese, duh! You were the one arguing that "hikikomori" should be in the dictionary, so I'm fairly certain that "baka" is recognizable enough by now.

Which "list" is this? A Funi release list from the last year or two? It's always handier to link to/cite things that you're talking about.
Translation would be, idiots and tests and "summoned beasts". It's 3 words seperated by "and", the result fairly obviously isn't. Hence not a remotely acurate translation.

Every single show they've licensed, ANN.
So I assume an complete list of every FUNi show, and it's only those 3 that are realy bad.
http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/encyclopedia/company.php?id=6515

Reaper gI said:
ilmaestro said:

Translation would be, idiots and tests and "summoned beasts". It's 3 words seperated by "and", the result fairly obviously isn't. Hence not a remotely acurate translation.
I don't need to know what the Japanese title would directly translate to, I own all of the LNs and the BD release of the anime so I've grown accustomed to it by now.

But still, confused as to where I said it was an "accurate" translation?? :confusedface:

If you would prefer me to term it as "localized", then fair enough, but the point doesn't change.

Also, that list has "Kyoushirou to Towa no Sora" listed, which they have released as "Shattered Angels", so not really the best source.

It also wasn't them that named it that, that's a licence rescue off ADV.
Sora no Otoshimono's is a bit odd as well.
Especialy as it streamed under the original title.

Kemono no Souja Erin

Bloody brilliant. 8/10

EDIT: No, really, what the **** is wrong with the anime-watching public today? How come awesome shows like Kemono no Souja Erin always fall under the radar? It's free on crunchyroll. No excuse.

Reaper gI said:
It also wasn't them that named it that, that's a licence rescue off ADV.
Yes, but that still shows that that list doesn't always accurately reflect the title the shows were released under.

And are they releasing SoraOto as Heaven's Lost Property? Yeah, I'm not exactly regaining my faith in Funi's titling decisions.

Thanks for the translation notes, maestro. Most enlightening.

Interestingly (or not) Sentai are keeping the Japanese titles for the forthcoming Uta Kata and Nyan Koi. Perhaps it's because they're short and thus not as liable to confuse us stupid English speaking fans.

That is promising to hear - I wonder exactly what the decision rests on, whether it is literally because they are so short, and because they are more "conceptual" titles.

Just finished watching Seirei no Moribito and its def an 8/10. Has a Great story and some of the best fighting sequences i've seen in a while

Back