Rate the last anime you watched out of 10

Stuart-says-yes said:
I watched code geass, yesterday, I came

It was amazing, I liked how lelouch wasn't a massive twat like light and felt bad about dem deaths

I though it as great how the show conflicts the viewer as much as the characters, you want lelouch to destroy britannia but at the same time you don't want any of the good guys like suzaku to be killed by lelouch.

This is probably the best anime I have watched after DtB and Cowboy Bebop.

anyway stuff happened, I enjoyed it, 10/10.
Damn cliffhangers though.

I have to agree there. Lelouch is a bastard in his own way but it's clear that a lot of the time it's just a mask he puts on to conceal his true feelings, whereas Light's all "I AM GOD EVERYONE DIE!"

ilmaestro said:
You don't like the ads on CR but will watch Funi's youtube? o_O

Heh I see where you're coming from, but my problem is not with ads being there, but the fact on Crunchy they are PAINFULLY slow and jerky, moving about half a second every 30. It's just not worth it. Plus most of crunchy's stuff that I want to see is on DVD anyways.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sparrowsabre7 said:
Heh I see where you're coming from, but my problem is not with ads being there, but the fact on Crunchy they are PAINFULLY slow and jerky, moving about half a second every 30. It's just not worth it. Plus most of crunchy's stuff that I want to see is on DVD anyways.
No idea why that is. It's always worked fine for me, and a lot of the time, you don't get any adverts.

fabricatedlunatic said:
White Album (s1) - 7/10

Do they make much of an effort to recreate the era it's set in? From the screencaps I saw when it came out, my impression was that, despite being set in '86, it didn't look much different from a series set in the present day.

Professor Irony said:
Do they make much of an effort to recreate the era it's set in? From the screencaps I saw when it came out, my impression was that, despite being set in '86, it didn't look much different from a series set in the present day.

Thats true and your pretty right to say that, I think the only 80's things I remember seeing were cassette players and tapes. So there isn't really much in the anime to set it apart from the present. I haven't watch it for a while so correct me if i'm wrong.

Here's the thing - I've only ever watched one anime that I didn't enjoy, and that was Oh! My Godess! The rest I've loved, so my reviews tend to be a bit same-ish.
So, as the last one I watched was Lucky Star (subbed), I'll go with that.
I'm giving it an 8 out of 10, as the artwork is good, the characters are cute and their personalities well thought out (if perhaps a little uni-dimensional), the music, whilst not stunning, works well with the scenes, especially when Kana-chan breaks the mood of a given scene, and the music goes flat or stops abruptly. It's generally cleverly used - like the fanfare that plays when Konata goes off on a rant about Komiket or her MMO, or the "aieea, aieea" which pretty much becomes the leitmotif for otaku moments.
It's also very funny (Konata singing the DBZ theme "Cha la, Head Cha la" in the ending credits, anyone?), and the number of references to other anime is enough to make any anime fan smirk with guilty otaku pleasure.
The only downside is a lack of an overarching story line - I think it'd have made sense (given that by the end of the series the girls are in their last year of high school) to have the series end when the girls actually finish school, rather than leaving the ending at some indeterminate date in term-time. A second series would be great.
Right, there it is. Rated and justified. No flames plz. :p

Sparrowsabre7 said:
Your conection is so slow you can't stream in 360p?
CRs normally better than youtube for this. You are starting your youtube vids straight away with no buffer, correct. CRs player will not let you buffer very much, it makes videos easier to rip.
It does just sound like your internet is far to slow to stream video, unless that was on an older version of their player.

Reevothemusefan said:
Professor Irony said:
Thats true and your pretty right to say that, I think the only 80's things I remember seeing were cassette players and tapes. So there isn't really much in the anime to set it apart from the present. I haven't watch it for a while so correct me if i'm wrong.
Yeah. You can tell it's the 80s more by the things that don't exist (or were uncommon), such as computers and mobile phones, than anything that does. The characters all have perfectly straight, normal hair (no backcombing or crazy 'dos) and reasonable dress sense.

Blast it, the '80s looked like this:

linnafunky.jpg

and I will set the boomers on anyone who suggests otherwise.

Seriously though, I'm not suggesting it all has to be legwarmers and massive hair, but I do appreciate a bit of period detail in these things.

Reaper gI said:
Sparrowsabre7 said:
Your conection is so slow you can't stream in 360p?
CRs normally better than youtube for this. You are starting your youtube vids straight away with no buffer, correct. CRs player will not let you buffer very much, it makes videos easier to rip.
It does just sound like your internet is far to slow to stream video, unless that was on an older version of their player.

*shrug* Maybe my net was just a bad connection that day (week). I haven't tried it again so it could be fine now.

rory_okane said:
It's also very funny (Konata singing the DBZ theme "Cha la, Head Cha la" in the ending credits, anyone?), and the number of references to other anime is enough to make any anime fan smirk with guilty otaku pleasure.
The only downside is a lack of an overarching story line - I think it'd have made sense (given that by the end of the series the girls are in their last year of high school) to have the series end when the girls actually finish school, rather than leaving the ending at some indeterminate date in term-time. A second series would be great.
Right, there it is. Rated and justified. No flames plz. :p

It's ongoing they have graduated highschool and it still hasn't ended yet. The anime doesn't get that far through the manga it's the first 2-3 volumes, if that.
Most LS references are to games not anime (there's Gundam, Marimite, Haruhi, and FMP (and the EDs)). Konata is a, mostly, game otaku. It's from the games mag Comptiq, also has chapters in Comp Ace(also games), Gundam Ace (self explantory), Kadokawa's catalouge to book buyers (not public, they put the chapters in volume 5), and the catalogue for Gamers.
It's great as a self parody; giving Tsukasa ToHeart cosplay, Kagami's name also being readable as Kyou were awsome. Tsukasa is a clone of Kamigishi Akari (probaly the most copied character after Ayanami Rei), Kagami is NOT (lol) a clone a Fujibayashi Kyou (she first apears almost exactly when CLANNAD was released).

Hmm, I keep on buying little bits of character goods from White Album whilst feeling like the anime would totally suck if I watched it, if you come back with a fairly positive review of season 2, Fabby, my resistance might just crack!

Yosuga no Sora (dropped after first EP) 0/10
Plot: kill it with fire!
Characters: kill them with fire!
Music: kill it with fire!
Animation: not bad par se, but I dislike 6/10, oh wait I forgot the ED: Kill it with fire!

Kill it with fire, seriouly burn all the production art for the show, don't even air episode 2 and pretend it never happened.

I hate this more than Chu Bra (which I dropped after 5 minutes), and even the English dub of G Gundam (where I had to be restrained from head-wall, and cursed the creators with a long long list of possibly incurable life thereatening diseases).

I like moe shows, I accept this as being unbearable moe cancer and hope I never hear of it again.

ilmaestro said:
Hmm, I keep on buying little bits of character goods from White Album whilst feeling like the anime would totally suck if I watched it, if you come back with a fairly positive review of season 2, Fabby, my resistance might just crack!
If you like drama of the car crash/train wreck variety, you'll almost certainly like White Album. Also required is a certain tolerance for characters who do stupid things; as a self-sabotaging emotional wreck I find I'm able to empathize more easily than some, but your mileage may vary =P

Time of EVE (Theatrical Version) - 10/10

Hard to put into words exactly how affecting this film is. I actually think this might be the single best modern example of Fred Patten's ideal of anime as the ultimate medium for SF.

/is totally dori-kei for Sammy

Occult Academy

There’s plenty to like about this show: the characters and their designs are immensely appealing, while the animation often displays impressive production values for a TV series and neat little touches on occasion (Maya’s warped facial expressions of rage being a particular highlight).

At the same time though the execution of the story and general direction felt sloppy and at times plain silly. It’s a show about magic for certain, but shoving the occult, pseudo sci-fi, aliens and time travel into the space of 12 episodes stretches plausibility perhaps a little too far in this case. The series is definitely at its best when it’s not taking its self seriously, the moments of OTT humour largely being what kept me watching. When it’s aiming for laughs it usual succeeds.

Sadly the same can’t be said of the more serious or emotional parts, which - with a few exceptions such as Fumiaki’s repressed childhood and some standout moments with Maya – feel forced and overly sentimental. Most of the ending was a letdown too, unleashing a slew of predictable twists in the last few episodes. There was a final turn in the story that proved quite interesting, but as with much of the show it’s never explored properly and feels like wasted potential.

In summary, it’s an enjoyable mess. Frequently entertaining and funny, but rarely anything more.

6/10

Highschool of the Dead

I kept feeling this anime had a split personality disorder. On the one hand it presents thrilling drama and action in a zombie apocalypse scenario, on the other it assaults your senses with a barrage of panties and sleeze. Perhaps I'm simply becoming more jaded towards the ero aspects of anime, but I couldn't shake the feeling it detracted from the atmosphere and tension at almost every turn.

Aside from this there's a surprising amount to praise: slick well directed animation, effective use of sound and music along with some brutal moments of human cruelty and greed which typically inhabit the zombie genre. It's the tense life and death moments that really make the show and there was at least one genuinely chilling moment towards the end (a nuclear strike is a terrifying prospect, zombies or not).

The ending is blatantly left open for a second season, but taken as a halfway point this isn't so bad. It entertained me just as much as it frustrated, and I'd definitely like to see more.

7/10

Last edited by a moderator:
Wildcard said:
Occult Academy

... a slew of predictable twists in the last few episodes
I think you missed the entire narrative buildup of the show. It was set up so that you could, if you thought about it, work out what was going on.

Unless you mean the sudden genre change, which if you saw that coming I would also like to ask for this week's lotto numbers. ^^;

ilmaestro said:
I think you missed the entire narrative buildup of the show. It was set up so that you could, if you thought about it, work out what was going on.

True, but there's a fine line between dropping clues and making it obvious. I didn't miss the narrative momentum and there's nothing wrong with foreshadowing in a story, however things like the strong emphasis placed on Mikaze and her relationship to Fumiaki or Chihiro's suspicious behaviour struck me as being a little too heavy handed, while the payoff just didn't seem worthwhile. I can't say I saw the genre change coming, but it was frankly the biggest problem with show. It tried to follow an occult horror plotline, while also dabbling in sci-fi aspects it failed to implement with any real conviction.

The final episode did almost deliver though as Fumiaki's backstory and childhood were probably the most interesting part of the show, the rest just fell flat for me I'm afraid.

Giant Killing 8.5/10

I personally don't like football normally, if at all. I may watch the national team from time to time, but that's it. It comes across as generally boring and...just meh. So i kinda went into this feeling i'd feel the same, i actually ended up enjoying it a lot.

Characters where pretty colourful, and for a full football team, reporters, coach and so on, i think that's quite an achievement. Comparing it to some other series with fairly sizeable casts, it's done a much better job in fleshing each one out, not too much, but just enough. Of course, the series itself only covers a small bit of the manga(i think), so there is a lot that will still be covered, but for this, it was just right. Tatsumi just hits me as some form of genius, and never actually shows off about it. He always seems like an air-head or too care-free, but somehow ends up knowing what, when, how and why something happens.

The main bit of course, the matches. These where brilliantly laid out, though my only problem i had was that perhaps the Osaka match was a little too long. I dunno if Giant Killing was always set out as 26 eps, but it felt like it could have been slightly shorter if the series was set to continue past it. Saying that, the match itself was a rollercoster of a ride, and kept bringing me back into watch it. It was that "what exactly will happen next" kind of thing, where you really didn't know how it'd play out, or in some bits, you knew, but not exactly when and in what way. This was no doubt thanks to how it covered the player mentality, something you don't see in a regular match on TV. Delving into the players thoughts as the match goes on, to me, just added to it.

As for the minor things, the music did work well, opening and such had that football feel to it, and the animation was nice, though i guess i wasn't too sure about the CG bits in the matches, but there we go. Would this make me watch more football? no. Would this make me watch another season of Giant Killing and maybe look into more Sports based anime/manga? yes. If others can give a more in depth look to a series, either shounen-like, slice-of-life style or otherwise, i'd be more inclined to try it now.

Back