Rate the last anime you watched out of 10

João Gomes

Hunter
Vinland Saga

I had to force myself not to ugly cry at some points during this series, holy ****. The emotional release in the final episode is so powerful. I understand now why this is often mentioned in the same breath as Berserk.

Like it, what really draws you in, what really makes it stand apart from so many other anime series is the way the characters feel so human in their range of emotions and allegiances. That mix of complexity and simplicity that makes us, for better or worse, human.

Thors, Thorfinn, Askeladd, Knut, Bjorn, Thorkell, Ragnar... So many names that I would usually have to google but here, I grew so invested and attached to them that they became engraved in my memory along the way. You'll want to see where these characters go, what they do and how they change.

Thorfinn got the short end of the stick in that it takes a whole season to set up his growth, but I'm so eager to see the places he'll get to. Even more so after the last episode or even remembering the seed that Thors implanted early on in his heart.

If somehow you're interested in this but keep pushing it back in your backlog, know it's completely worth it. It's incredible. Shout-out to the way the team managed to capture the stunning beauty and color of nature. The backgrounds are all rendered with so much detail that your eyes will sometimes deviate from the characters themselves. Very picturesque, in another way reminding me of Berserk, more specifically the 97 series. This is even better, though.

Also the final episode is called end of prologue lol

Roll on season 2, I guess.

zrdb

Great Teacher
Violet Evergarden-The Movie-9 out of 10 points. Absolutely fantastic conclusion to the series-you'd better make sure you have a handkerchief handy, you'll need it.

Dai

Hunter
After having been in licence limbo for a year, Yuki Yuna is a Hero season 2 is available to stream again, courtesy of HiDive. I've been wanting to rewatch this season for ages, and it's even better than I remembered. For the uninitiated, season 2 is split across two arcs, one set before season 1 and the other set after. It's best to watch the series in broadcast order though, since watching the flashback chapter before season 1 would spoil all the mystery.

Yuki Yuna is a Hero: The Washio Sumi Chapter
In this prequel set two years before season 1, we follow a team of three magical girls who protected the world before Yuna. With only six episodes in this arc, it moves faster than season 1, and in some ways is stronger for it. I can't say anything specific about the characters without getting into spoiler territory, but they're another likeable bunch who quickly gel as a team and are easy to root for. The show does a good job of making you care for the characters in its lighter moments, and then cranks up the tension in the action scenes. They face tough battles from the outset, and the stakes only get higher as the arc progresses, culminating in a riveting final battle.

Yuki Yuna is a Hero: The Hero Chapter
If season 1 left you in any doubt that Yuna earned the title of this show, those doubts will be gone by the end of this sequel. This is a heart-wrenching arc for Yuna specifically, and I struggle to think of another magical girl who has faced such gruelling circumstances without breaking. The sheer desperation of the situations in this arc, and the chilling solutions presented, make it a nail-biting experience at times. Yet it never succumbs to the grimdark excesses of many lesser magical girl shows from the last decade, and retains its heart and humanity throughout.

9/10

Geriatric hedgehog

Vampire Ninja
Yet it never succumbs to the grimdark excesses of many lesser magical girl shows from the last decade, and retains its heart and humanity throughout.
I managed to watch the first season on crunchyroll and completely agree with this point, also as per your previous review for season 1. It certainly challenges the protagonists heavily without relying on grimdark exploitation that is in some of the wannabe Madoka shows these days. Definitely keen on watching the next two seasons now at some point, but don't have hidive and will save my money (or use the trial period at some point) whilst getting through my watchlists on the other services for now heh.

ActionFaust

Combat Butler
Yuki Yuna is a Hero season 2
Will likely give the first two seasons a rewatch at some point before the third. Pacing was definitely an issue for me when watching the first season but I do recall the second improving a lot on that front. Definitely still appreciate that it took a darker spin on the genre without going full edge like some series. Still hilarious that edgier series like Magical Girl Site are published in shonen magazines

Lordhippos

Vampire Ninja
Link Click

I think a lot of you may have heard of this but perhaps have not made the time to see it, or it didn't sound interesting enough, or maybe you thought it was some kind of BL thing (honestly the two male MC's kind of look like they belong in one, but I can categorically state this is not a BL show).

I won't add spoilers here, but I will say the general premise is interesting. We have two friends who can use photos to go into the past, and that is the setup for what goes on, I won't add more detail than that.

The general execution is nice, the animation quality is good, I like the music in it. It has a slightly different vibe than most anime I watch.

The only negative is that being a Chinese based anime, you have to put up with the Chinglish they seem to use. Some odd phrasings and the subs also being a little odd at times. But it's interesting watching an anime that doesn't use Japanese audio for a change of pace.

Bonus points for having quite a funky intro, I always like it when the intro doesn't just sound generic. Complete with an almost Platinum Disco hand routine in the middle.

Link (click it!!):

8/10

Lordhippos

Vampire Ninja
(reminded me a lot of one that came after: Iroduku - The World in Colours)

I finally got around to watching World in Colours as well. Whilst the artwork was nice, the story wasn't that great, the characters weren't that great either. I think it was like a Shinkai-light with less meat to it, and dragged out for much longer than a single film :)

Scenery work in particular was excellent though!

Professor Irony

CYBER FUNKER
Lily C.A.T. (1987)

Rather like the anime equivalent of an Italian b-movie, this throws a lot of popular sci-fi tropes into a bag and gives it a hearty shake, for a story about space haulage workers who find themselves dealing with a deadly stowaway. It’s a little disappointing that, considering both Yasuomi Umetsu and Yoshiktaka Amano were involved with the designs, the actual production feels crude, outside a few impressive individual shots. It is still amusing hogwash that doesn’t outstay its welcome though, even if Gall Force arguably did the whole thing with a bit more feeling just a year earlier. I do kind of regret not watching the dub, it seems to have a lot of Streamline regulars and would probably fit the goofy material.

Last edited:

RadFemHedonist

Thousand Master
Lily C.A.T. (1987)

Rather like the anime equivalent of an Italian b-movie, this throws a lot of popular sci-fi tropes into a bag and gives it a hearty shake, for a story about space haulage workers who find themselves dealing with a deadly stowaway. It’s a little disappointing that, considering both Yasuomi Umetsu and Yoshiktaka Amano were involved with the designs, the actual production feels crude, outside a few impressive individual shots. It is still amusing hogwash that doesn’t outstay its welcome though, even if Gall Force arguably did the whole thing with a bit more feeling just a year earlier. I do kind of regret not watching the dub, it seems to have a lot of Streamline regulars and would probably fit the goofy material.

Is rewatching with the dub not an option? Or is it more of a "time constraints/it wasn't enjoyable enough to watch twice" kinda thing? :)

Professor Irony

CYBER FUNKER
Last night I was thinking it’s probably not something I’d be in a great hurry to revisit, but I actually feel a bit more positive about it today. I’ll likely leave it for a while anyway, but there are a few lines in the subtitle script that felt a bit unintentionally ambiguous and, given Streamline‘s tendency to rewrite things, I‘d be curious to see how they handled them in the dub. It only touches on it briefly, but I did also like that the film notes the effect that making decades long voyages in hypersleep is having on the crew’s mental health, and asks what kind of person is drawn to that sort of life.

Part of me feels like I might have enjoyed it more if they’d focused on that, but given that they seemed to be self-consciously making a genre film, perhaps it would have worked better if they’d gone full ham with it, and upped the gore and gooey monsters? I dunno.

Geriatric hedgehog

Vampire Ninja
I finally got around to watching World in Colours as well. Whilst the artwork was nice, the story wasn't that great, the characters weren't that great either. I think it was like a Shinkai-light with less meat to it, and dragged out for much longer than a single film :)

Scenery work in particular was excellent though!
I fully agree, it's worth a watch for the visuals alone and the use of grey with the colours seeping in melded beautifully with the story elements. Shame that I too couldn't find myself caring much for the characters, though there was one episode end I really liked, I think it was maybe 8 or 11? with the credits and music playing over the final scene involving a paper plane - that I liked a lot.

Claire

Completely Average High School Student
1001 Nights (Animerama).

I'm tempted to give it a 9. The plot is just a loose amalgam of stories from the 1001 Nights, but the way everything flows for the first two thirds of the movie has a real stream of consciousness vibe to it. And you can tell that unlike the later Belladonna of Sadness, they still had money when they did this one because the animation is staggering.

The way it so often mixes the use of models and live action sequences into it is inspired, and there's one bit on an island about halfway through that is among the most visually interesting scenes I've come across. And unlike Belladonna, the subject matter of it isn't so upsetting that I'd have to psyche myself up to watch it again.

Claire

Completely Average High School Student
Watched Cleopatra last night, the last animerama movie I hadn't seen. Ah well I guess one of them had to be terrible.

Has some brief flashes of brilliance in its art and/or animation just like the other two, but they're few and far between, Overall it was just tonally all over the place. The elements of baffling B-movie sci-fi weirdness only serve as bookends since for the main bulk of the film they are barely alluded to.

So yeah, not even close to being as compelling or experimental as the other two movies in this trilogy, just roundly disappointing. The liner notes kinda shed some light on this a bit since this was the movie Mushi did to try and change their fortunes after 1001 Nights flopped, but it came out before the writing was on the wall. This is why the final one Belladonna is so experimental, by that point they all knew it didn't matter either way.

Rating: 5/10, just barely. I was debating a 4 but there was just enough there that I wasn't bored stiff. Won't be watching it again though, unlike the other two this one is 100% just a historical curio, there's not much to it.

Dai

Hunter
Maria Watches Over Us
In this catholic school GL romance, girls in the higher years each 'adopt' a girl from a lower year as their soeur, their sister. The greatest prestige comes from being made the little sister of a member of the student council, since that's seen as a fast-track to membership in the council and grants access to the mansion on school grounds that acts as the student council room. There are a lot of strong personalities on the council when Yumi starts as a first year, and she soon gets caught up in a whirlwind of conflicting agendas and jealousy when Sachiko, one of the student council members, offers to be her big sister on the day they meet.

This show came from the tail end of the Class S era of GL, when it often wasn't made explicit whether the feelings the girls have for each other are sisterly affection or romantic love. It sways back and forth on that line, leaning more in one direction or the other for the various trios of sisters the show focuses on. Yes, I said trios, and that's the main source of conflict in this series. Given that there are three years in Japanese high school, that makes a chain of three sisters in most cases. As a first year, Yumi is thrown in the deep end of this situation, and has to figure out the dynamics at play between Sachiko and herself, between Sachiko and her big sister, and between all the other council members. Combine this with the fact that council members are variously referred to by their first or last name by different people, their titles (based on types of roses), or the French names for those roses, and you have a recipe for confusion until you get a handle for who all these girls are and who is whose sister.

That last point is what made me bounce off the show after a couple of episodes the first time I tried it, but I recently started it again and I'm glad I persisted. The first season can be quite messy with how many characters it throws at the viewer, but it finds its feet more as it progresses. The show's four seasons cover Yumi's first two years at high school. The first three of those split their time between all the girls on the student council, but with a particular emphasis on Yumi growing closer to Sachiko as her little sister. The final season shows Yumi starting to mature as a second year, as she begins to look for a little sister of her own. Interestingly, the more Yumi matures the more the show locks us out of her internal monologue, making her a closed book and shifting the emphasis to the girl who is the prime candidate to be her little sister. Perhaps the idea here is that the maturity of the big sisters (who are still high schoolers themselves) is something of an illusion that can only be maintained when viewed from the outside.

It's an enjoyable show once you get past that first hurdle of remembering who everyone is, and only gets better as it goes along. Those looking for explicitly stated romance or a sense of how these girls' lives will progress after high school may be a little frustrated though, since the focus here is on Yumi first learning what it means to be a little sister, and then slowly maturing into a big sister herself, even if there are many times when it seems that there's something else between her and Sachiko.

Season 1: 7/10
Season 2: 7/10
Season 3: 8/10
Season 4: 8/10