Rate the last anime you watched out of 10

There are so many genres of music I think it could have been really good to use various ones, and would have given it a more unique feel. Apparently the anime has actually done some good for Saga itself though as tourists go to see the various places featured in the anime!

I think my fav idol anime is probably Symphogear, it's just insane, but I will admit it's not a genre I am huge on for the idol stuff by itself. Symphogear adds some magic girl shenanigans on top to just amp things up even more.
Haven't seen symphogear but I'm a big fan of music animes in general. K-on is one of my absolute favourite shows.

And lastly, ashamed to say I've also not seen GitS:SAC (mainly down to the fact that I absolutely loved the movie and, back in the day, I didn't really want to watch any other variants or takes on it, especially those more action-focused) but am also aiming to get that soon and give it a shot given how highly others on this forum have rated it
Stand Alone Complex, especially the second season, is by far the best Ghost in the Shell anime. That's a hill I won't just die on but I'd come back to life over and over again to defend.

it probably has the most languid pace out of Oshii's anime films.
That's one of the things that would concern me about Skycrawlers. That and how the characters are apparently all quite detached from their own existence.

I've seen some really weird interpretations of its themes that bore no resemblance to the movie I watched.
Quite open to interpretation, then? Or are these just really crackpot, left-field ideas?

Quite open to interpretation, then? Or are these just really crackpot, left-field ideas?
It's mainly this review that comes to mind. The film's somewhat abstracted setting does leave some room for interpretation, but I don't see how he landed at the whole film being an allegory for Oshii's disdain of otaku.

To me, the strongest theme of the film is the endgame of the military-industrial complex, where war has cast aside all pretense of being anything other than a business, and those fighting on the frontline willingly become part of the machinery, having become as dispassionate about their deaths as the people sitting behind the calculators.

It's mainly this review that comes to mind. The film's somewhat abstracted setting does leave some room for interpretation, but I don't see how he landed at the whole film being an allegory for Oshii's disdain of otaku.

To me, the strongest theme of the film is the endgame of the military-industrial complex, where war has cast aside all pretense of being anything other than a business, and those fighting on the frontline willingly become part of the machinery, having become as dispassionate about their deaths as the people sitting behind the calculators.
I think Sevakis’ interpretation is pretty well grounded, given a lot of opinions Oshii has expressed over the years regarding anime and originality. Granted, perhaps those not as familiar with Oshii the man wouldn't make those connections and take the same things away from Sky Crawlers; I agree that things like Aces High and Catch 22 are probably the more obvious comparisons, but I certainly wouldn’t put it past Oshii to liken the waste of youth that is war to the waste of youth that is the consumption of repetitive media. The characters literally not growing up is probably the biggest signpost in that direction, so I think the mech show comparison is a perfectly reasonable conclusion to draw. If that’s a valid interpretation of say, Evangelion (which I definitely believe it is, though it’s never made explicit) then it’s a valid interpretation of Sky Crawlers.

Last edited:
You know, I've never seen Skycrawlers. 🤔
I've always been a bit put off by things I've read about it. How's the film itself, would you say?
It is certainly painfully slow, but for me, a good slow burn overall. I think that languid pace does add to the atmosphere, as I guess was intended. I think with a lot of things Oshii (Angel's Egg anyone?), it's enjoyed best alongside reviewing other's interpretations (would make for a good simulwatch now that I think about it actually - potential for the suggestions list?). I too read Sevakis' review, which prompted me to watch the movie in the first place. I agree with with both @Dai, on the military references but also with @ayase, as I too could certainly see Oshii's critique of the industry and fandom, exactly like Anno's with Eva. However, I doubt I would've made that connection without having read said review, and by missing that theme likely to not have been able to enjoy the movie half as much perhaps. It's definitely worth a watch, but with attached homework is what I guess I'm saying heh.

And of course coming back to the score, that was a big highlight for me and definitely added to my appreciation of the movie (and don't worry about sharing your knowledge, I always appreciate it and a lot more often than not, learn something new heh).
There's a follow-up to 009 Re:Cyborg, a trio of films collectively called Call of Justice
Yeah I saw these on Netflix but didn't think on first impression that they followed the story of the movie which put me off. Will add to my list if you guys know them to be worthwhile or on fact a continuation?
Stand Alone Complex, especially the second season, is by far the best Ghost in the Shell anime. That's a hill I won't just die on but I'd come back to life over and over again to defend.
Strong words indeed! Don't worry, my previous reservations were down to being narrow-minded and I'm already sold on that so just a matter of getting to it on my watchlist (which has significantly expanded after I finally gave in and signed up to the funimation 3-month trial offer with the PS4...).

Strong words indeed! Don't worry, my previous reservations were down to being narrow-minded and I'm already sold on that so just a matter of getting to it on my watchlist (which has significantly expanded after I finally gave in and signed up to the funimation 3-month trial offer with the PS4...).
No worries. It just amused me as the original Ghost in the Shell film was the first anime I watched and the 2nd anime I watched was Stand Alone Complex as I was desperate for more!

The series format works really well as it allows for simpler stand alone episodes as well as larger storyline complex episodes. Also the big ideas have more time to be considered and can be broken down with more action and character moments. It just suits the franchise really well.

No worries. It just amused me as the original Ghost in the Shell film was the first anime I watched and the 2nd anime I watched was Stand Alone Complex as I was desperate for more!

The series format works really well as it allows for simpler stand alone episodes as well as larger storyline complex episodes. Also the big ideas have more time to be considered and can be broken down with more action and character moments. It just suits the franchise really well.
Ah that's good to know. I think in the past I was under the impression that SAC was action-heavy at the expense of the heavy themes & philosophising of the movie altogether.

Certainly interesting how we had opposite reactions! But I know what you mean, despite holding the original Eva in untouchable regard, I will happily indulge in any new take on Eva. But I guess that's as long as it's from Anno or the original team. So maybe if it was Oshii behind SAC I would've indulged back then (but probably best he wasn't heh, given the highly regarded results).

Ah that's good to know. I think in the past I was under the impression that SAC was action-heavy at the expense of the heavy themes & philosophising of the movie altogether.
Season 1 certainly starts out that way as it establishes the characters and setting but once the larger storyline starts the bigger ideas start to flow. One of the factors that makes season 2 so good is that it gets the blend much better.

So maybe if it was Oshii behind SAC I would've indulged back then (but probably best he wasn't heh, given the highly regarded results).
Yeah Oshiis style works very well for the movie format. A tv show at his pace would be languid. Kamiyama is the opposite. I find his tv shows to be far better than his films as hes able to structure the action around the ideas far more effectively. Stand Alone Complex and Eden of the East are excellent whereas Re:Cyborg and Napping Princess feel like they dont quite live up to their potential.

Yeah Oshiis style works very well for the movie format. A tv show at his pace would be languid. Kamiyama is the opposite.
Very good points on their respective strengths and I'd agree here based on having seen their movies though, conversely, not either's tv series yet (but have read around regarding Vladlove & Eden of the East - both on my watchlist).

Stand Alone Complex and Eden of the East are excellent whereas Re:Cyborg and Napping Princess feel like they dont quite live up to their potential.
I can't comment on SAC as a whole, having only seen the pair of compilation films, but I actually like those two films in your above quote better than the two series. Napping Princess is my favourite Kenji Kamiyama thing by miles.

I can't comment on SAC as a whole, having only seen the pair of compilation films, but I actually like those two films in your above quote better than the two series. Napping Princess is my favourite Kenji Kamiyama thing by miles.
To be fair I'm a fan of everything he's done but his series, for me, are a cut above his films.

Yeah I quite liked Napping Princess, and especially how the mother's character was portrayed, that was brilliant and on it's own enough to make me want to get it. So I'd also count myself in the Kamiyama movie appreciation society but as @WMD mentioned, prefer Oshii's movies.
My faith in you all is shaken, it's the Azumanga Daioh situation all over again.

There's a really cheap, simple way for one of you to obtain the 1st GIG ::very unsubtle cough::
Azuma-what-now?? Ah man is this some anime gold I've been completely in the dark about?! I'll get my coat, clearly am unworthy...
Heheh thanks for the tip on that SAC set but fortunately I've got access to it on funimation now and will most likely eventually get the complete boxset!

Last edited:
Horimiya

I enjoyed this overall, and like others also wish it would have been possible to have it fleshed out over another season, as it did feel like a lot of the story was cut out. Absolutely brilliant opening sequence for me. After a strong start seemed to go the way of Tsuredure Children with multiple interesting characters to focus on but more with short comedic sketches rather than drama. The character drama aspects that were included were beautifully punctuated by the excellent score from my favourite composer, and along with the visual flair of the series reminded me of Scum's wish. The final episode nicely concluded the series but it could've been more. I'm off to read the manga now for my next Horimiya fix.

7/10

Quintessential Quintuplets

This was quite an easy fun watch, nothing ground-breaking plot wise. The characters are largely good, there is some rivalry drama, and the art is pretty good across both seasons (I did note that Season 2 changed art style slightly but it didn't seem to be worlds apart or feel out of place).

I don't often delve into the harem genre, but this is one of the better ones in my opinion.

Ranked girls in order of my fav, best to last:

1. Miku
2. Itsuki
3. Ichika
4. Nino
5. Yotsuba

Sorry Yotsuba, I dislike genki girls a bit more than tsunderes.

7.5/10

Sword Art Online (Season 1)

This was actually a lot better than I was expecting it to be, I was really going in with fairly low expectations of like a standard 6/10 show, but it surprised me by being an enjoyable watch, and it had some episodes that really made me want to watch the next one right away to find out what happens next.

Some spoilers on my next opinions so don't read these if you want to watch the series:

Some of the ideas of what they could in the game worlds felt a bit arbitrary and almost like they were written by someone who doesn't really play MMO genre games. There are lots of interesting consequences to being in a VRMMO where there are ramifications to your very body/mind back in the real world, but none of these seem to have been considered by the developers of either the VR games, or the headsets.

I found it unbelievable that society as a whole wasn't trying to crack down on the headsets and the games after the whole killing people in the real world thing from in the game was uncovered at the end of the SAO arc in the 1st cour, and it boggled my mind that his sister/cousin also decided to get involved in putting herself into the very machine that took her brother away from her for 2 years.

On a more positive note I think the romance between Asuna and Kirito was well done, the two had obviously shared some experiences and had a deep connection, and the show didn't shy away from showing them actually acting like a couple might in such an environment. I thought the existence of Yui was a little forced, and it was slightly odd how she was calling them her parents, but whatever, the writers wanted Yui for plot reasons so she existed. I didn't really find myself attached to her though in the same way that I cared about Asuna/Kirito.

Despite any minor flaws, on the whole I think Season 1 deserves the score below.

7.5/10

I don't often delve into the harem genre, but this is one of the better ones in my opinion.

Sorry Yotsuba, I dislike genki girls a bit more than tsunderes.
I've never really gotten along with harem shows (nor many examples of its modern cousin, the isekai, though there are exceptions to this) due to finding their bland and uninteresting (and often weirdly sex-averse to say they’re surrounded by women lusting after them) male MCs who are apparently supposed to be viewer inserts utterly unrelatable. The only kind of harem protagonist I’d be interested in is one who screws all of the girls and then leans back, smiling as he is beaten to death by them in the final moments of the show and whispers “worth it”. Plus I usually only end up liking one or two of the characters, which means any time these characters are not on screen is just a waste of my time.

Back