Rate the last anime you watched out of 10

Neil.T

Claymore
Just be careful, I'm sure Neil.T will be admonishing you about that too, lol...
Nah, no way, man. Each to their own and all, you know?

But yet...

@awadama fever!!

. . .

RzCNRIQ.gif

"Let's see you grit those teeth!"

Dai

School Idol
Ground Control to Psychoelectric Girl
I'd been vaguely interested in this one for a while, but decided to buy it when I found out that it was based on LNs by the author of Adachi & Shimamura (probably my favourite anime of last year). Unfortunately, they couldn't be more different.

A&S is a low-key yuri romance, with its greatest strength being its well-rounded, convincing, and sympathetic main characters. Ground Control is a screwball harem comedy featuring a bunch of over-the-top weirdos, who are rarely more than the sum of their quirks, and who are all unconvincingly in love with a typical male protagonist cardboard cutout. Worse is the amount of redundancy between characters, with two or three having the same overlapping quirks, making them so similar that even characters in the story sometimes mistake them for each other. It doesn't help that some of these endlessly repeated quirks are tedious (the "my name's not X, it's Y" one gets used half a dozen times per episode).

The first few episodes make a strong impression and are funny, and the last few start to get back in the groove. The show was a preliminary 8/10 based on the first three episodes. In the middle though, it turns into a repetitive haze that I can barely remember. Shows that lack in drive or structure are often excused as being slice-of-life, and there are plenty of those that I enjoy, but this feels more like slice-of-nothing in places. Sometimes the dialogue turned into such hollow white noise that I kept zoning out and had to replay entire scenes to check if I missed anything significant.

It's possible that I just wasn't in the right mood for a series like this, so I'm planning to watch it again at some point, but for now it gets:

6/10

Lordhippos

Great Teacher
Mardock Scramble

This is a film trilogy each one being approx an hour long.

I won't spoil it. This has a very Ghost in the Shell feel, speaking of shells there are a lot of egg related references.

Our female mc gets naked as often as possible, I was wondering if she was a nudist! Sometimes it made sense, other times it felt like she was naked just for the sake of it.

Film 1 was my fav, by the end of film 3 some of it's narrative had lost it's way.

7.5/10

Last edited:

Dai

School Idol
Mardock Scramble

This is a film trilogy each one being approx an hour long.

I won't spoil it. This has a very Ghost in the Shell feel, speaking of shells there are a lot of egg related references.

Our female mc gets naked as often as possible, I was wondering if she was a nudist! Sometimes it made sense, other times it felt like she was naked just for the sake of it.

Film 1 was my fav, by the end of film 3 some of it's narrative had lost it's way.

7.5/10
I hated Mardock Scramble. I only watched the first movie once, and immediately got rid of it. It's hard to think of a story where a supposed protagonist does so little protagging. She's this passive lump that's just...there. IIRC there was a car chase where her car was on autodrive throughout, so she just sat there while the car did everything for her. That felt emblematic of her role in the whole story. And don't get me started on the laughably juvenile way they tried to make the villains edgy.

Lordhippos

Great Teacher
I hated Mardock Scramble. I only watched the first movie once, and immediately got rid of it. It's hard to think of a story where a supposed protagonist does so little protagging. She's this passive lump that's just...there. IIRC there was a car chase where her car was on autodrive throughout, so she just sat there while the car did everything for her. That felt emblematic of her role in the whole story. And don't get me started on the laughably juvenile way they tried to make the villains edgy.

I could definitely see why you'd think that, she wasn't the strongest protag in the world, although in her defence she was kind of thrown into the role and was a pretty broken person from previous events that you learn about later.

She got better as the protag in the next 2 films, although in my opinion the next 2 films have weaker narratives and world building, so swings and roundabouts.

I am capable of enjoying a show for things beyond the characters though, NGE for example, actually I didn't really like many of the characters in NGE at all (Shinji, get in the robot!!), but the show itself was good and it had some interesting concepts, so I still enjoyed it.

The best combination will always be shows where the characters and the story are both good. Unfortunately these are kind of rare.

Dai

School Idol
I am capable of enjoying a show for things beyond the characters though, NGE for example, actually I didn't really like many of the characters in NGE at all (Shinji, get in the robot!!), but the show itself was good and it had some interesting concepts, so I still enjoyed it.

The best combination will always be shows where the characters and the story are both good. Unfortunately these are kind of rare.
I'm fine with movies that have thin characters as long as the events are satisfying (I own every Godzilla movie, after all), but protagonist inaction is a more fundamental problem since it drains all the fuel out of the story's tank. In almost any situation, the most boring thing a protagonist can do is nothing. Off the top of my head, the only time I've been moved by a protagonist's choice not to act was in Slipstream, the Yoshiaki Kawajiri directed episode of Leiji Matsumoto's The Cockpit, and that took masterful writing and direction to pull off.

Neil.T

Claymore
It's hard to think of a story where a supposed protagonist does so little protagging.
Maybe you're lucky enough to have not seen Production I.G's Loups=Garous, then. 😬

That unenviably became my yardstick for passive, pointless MCs, and Mardock, for me, is not even within visual range of it.

This has a very Ghost in the Shell feel,
Undeniably so. It was written by Tow Ubukata, who would go on to write Ghost in the Shell: Arise for Production I.G, so he must've already been a fan.

Speaking personally, I actually do rather like the Mardock Scramble trilogy. I can totally see the narrative problems in it, and I agree that part 1 is the best, which obviously isn't great for a three-parter, but I like the setting and the ideas, and above all I can't help but care about what happens to its characters, which is more than Ghost in the Shell has ever managed for me, as unpopular as that view might be.

I'm sure a big part of me being invested in Balot as a character is her being voiced by the living legend who is Megumi Hayashibara (Rei in Evangelion). She cared deeply about her role, as the accompanying interviews with her in the extras on Kaze's Blu-ray box set really reinforce.

So yeah, I'm a fan of Mardock. I'm sure our fellow AUKN member @Adam-M would probably say the same (clearly liking the series enough to have Oeufcoque as his avatar character.

Fun fact to end on here: Mardock Scramble, (originally a series of novels by the aforementioned Ubukata) before being made into a three-part anime by studio GoHands was originally planned to be adapted by Gonzo instead, with character designs by Range Murata (Last Exile). See this article here:

Last edited:

thedoctor2016

Harem King
Fate/Stay Night Heaven’s Feel III: Spring Song - Well this achieved what I wanted to adapt the best route in FSN and show it off to a wider audience. Ngl 40 mins in after a certain scene I knew this was the best one of the trilogy and the best Fate anime easily, can’t wait till I can recommend it after FZ but still you should still watch FZ -UBW -HF. Now to wait till a Fate adaption or/ and a FHA adaption. I will get into more specific scenes when MVM and AoA release it as I still don’t want to spoil it yet.
10/10

Geriatric hedgehog

Great Teacher
Fate/Stay Night Heaven’s Feel III: Spring Song - Well this achieved what I wanted to adapt the best route in FSN and show it off to a wider audience. Ngl 40 mins in after a certain scene I knew this was the best one of the trilogy and the best Fate anime easily, can’t wait till I can recommend it after FZ but still you should still watch FZ -UBW -HF. Now to wait till a Fate adaption or/ and a FHA adaption. I will get into more specific scenes when MVM and AoA release it as I still don’t want to spoil it yet.
10/10
So jealous of you all with the imports... Can't wait for a UK release (and thanks for avoiding spoilers!).

Girls wIth Guns

Death Scythe
Fate/Stay Night Heaven’s Feel III: Spring Song - Ngl 40 mins in after a certain scene I knew this was the best one of the trilogy and the best Fate anime easily, can’t wait till I can recommend it after FZ but still you should still watch FZ -UBW -HF.

So jealous of you all with the imports... Can't wait for a UK release.
OK, I'm all set - got all of those Fate Japanese imports lined up and ready to go! I'll have to call the neighbor couple over to start in on the Fate series very soon! Gonna have to get jealous-er, hedgy! ;)

fatezeroubwhf.jpg

Speaking of the Fate Series, would it be advantageous at all to watch the original Dean Fate/Stay night series first, before starting in on Zero, or should I not bother? I'm asking before I show the Fate series to my neighbors, which will be sometime later this year. I've already seen Zero and UBW myself, and I have the original series on Blu-ray, but have never watched it.

Last edited:

Geriatric hedgehog

Great Teacher
Gonna have to get jealous-er, hedgy! ;)
You're so mean dude...... Just kidding! I quite enjoy admiring others' collections, and also helps decide if I want to get the CEs over the SEs, so carry on sharing.
fatezeroubwhf.jpg

Speaking of the Fate Series, would it be advantageous at all to watch the original Dean Fate/Stay night series first, before starting in on Zero, or should I not bother?
And that is a very nice collection! I was planning exactly that order when we get the final movie released in UK, by starting with the first stay night. For me it's certainly worth a watch, as long as you keep expectations of the animation low and hey the quality only goes up thereafter. It probably also has the kindest fate for the second most tragic character in the series, Ilya, and does a good job on focusing on Saber's story (stating the obvious here, given that it's based on her route from the VN).

Lordhippos

Great Teacher
That Time I Got Reincarnated as a Slime Season 2

I always have a bit of a soft spot for this anime, it's enjoyable and stupid, but it does have some flaws in it's coherence. I wanted to give this an 8 like I felt Season 1 deserved, but there were some issues for me in Season 2, which I will outline as a spoiler:

Youm falling for Myulan in such a short space of time? felt off to me. Rimuru forgiving Myulan just because he didn't want to upset Youm, who had admitted to betraying them? Shion dying but I knew she'd not actually die somehow. I think it may have had more impact if they actually killed her off. I wish the show embraced the darker aspects more, because we get loads of shows where the hero always wins already.

The end of the season was improving though, I really want to see where it goes next.

7.5/10

Dan

Stand User
Heroic Legend of Arslan (Season 1) - 8/10 (Rewatch)

When I first watched this I watched it with my wife and we both got bored. I think on reflection, she got bored and I was desperate for something to happen to stop her boredom because on my 2nd watch (by myself) I really enjoyed it and finished it this time. I loved the tactical prowess of Narsus (my fave character) and the fighting ability of Daryun.

Have to say on the animation side this is by far and away the best I’ve seen of blending of 2D & 3D animation. The horses looked so good in 3D and I wasn’t sat there thinking how jarring it looked which was very nice… gives me hope for more of this type of anime in future.. I do realise this had Universals money behind it though.

I’ll be watching season 2 shortly, although I am aware we’re not getting anymore. It does seem this genre isn’t popular enough to keep getting more seasons of though which is a shame.

Professor Irony

CYBER FUNKER
Agent Aika (OVA, 1997)

A nice looking and watchable enough caper series about a deep-sea salvager tangling with a pair of evil siblings over an energy source macguffin, Aika is one of those shows that constantly seems to be on the verge of doing something interesting or entertaining, but rarely quite manages it.

It’s certainly a very odd proposition; billed as a saucy comedy with vast amounts of fanservice, the series mostly takes itself so seriously that the much repeated sight of the characters’ underwear barely registered with me after the second episode. Setting that aside, what we appear to be left with is a kind of attempt to mash up Cutey Honey with Lupin, which really ought to work, but the writing is so loose it’s nigh on unbearable at times. It’s like a callback to the kind of ‘made it up in the morning, animated it in the afternoon’ school of OVA making you might have expected about ten years earlier, when the cash flowed much more freely. I hardly even realised how convoluted it all was until I tried to describe the plot to someone:

”She salvages stuff from a sunken Tokyo? That’s really cool”
”Oh, no, she barely does any salvaging. Uh, she flies a vintage warplane for some reason and goes looking for treasure though”
”Right, so it’s about her hunting for treasure”
”Actually she spends more time stuck on an evil submarine than anything else”
”In sexy peril?”
”Not really, no”
”...”

And this is kind of the pattern all the way through. The show is absolutely not short of ideas, but it’s disappointingly uninterested in doing anything much with them. It does pick up a little in the second half, with a bit more variety once Aika is finally off that blasted submarine, but the show has written out the main villains by this point, and their amorphous, interchangeable underlings just can’t project the same sense of malice on their own. This actually makes it feel like the show is the wrong way round, with the establishing episodes at the back, and the climax at the front.

I was invested enough to see the show through to the end, but I think there’s little reason to recommend Aika over livelier, bawdier fare of the same period, such as Shin Cutey Honey, Burn-Up or even Gunsmith Cats, at least unless it’s as a very cheap pickup.

Geriatric hedgehog

Great Teacher
When I first watched this I watched it with my wife and we both got bored. I think on reflection, she got bored and I was desperate for something to happen to stop her boredom because on my 2nd watch (by myself) I really enjoyed it and finished it this time. I loved the tactical prowess of Narsus (my fave character) and the fighting ability of Daryun.
Heh this is why I've stopped trying to watch anime with my wife, it just kills your own appreciation for the work when you're constantly anxious about your partner getting bored.

The other day she was quite sweet and insisted on watching whatever I was, which happened to Black Lagoon. I was on the deep sea diving episode so I thought at least I won't have to bother explaining fan service around Revy's usual outfit whilst Revy was in a full wetsuit, but hilariously she asked why the camera kept focusing on her butt and boobs, that my desensitised self hadn't even picked up on heh. Suffice to say she got bored after three episodes meaning I could enjoy the rest thereafter heh.

Black lagoon was great by the way, great mix of ultra violence, humour (some bits genuinely had me cracking up) & introspection. I'd score it 8/10, would be higher were the animation better. Now to save up to import a copy of the SE collection given how expensive the currently unavailable Kaze UK versions are on CEX...