Rate the last anime you watched out of 10

Freedom
Don't have reems to right about this one. Freedom is good. Not great or spectacular or mind blowing but simply good. It has a nice, simple adventure story with some enjoyable, if underdeveloped characters with and some pretty cool looking action sequences. At a short 7 episodes it doesn't waste any time and overstay its welcome nor does it feel too short so the pacing is just right. It took me 3 days to get through it but I'm a bit of a slow watcher so you could probably blow through it in a day if you tried. My issues with the series started from the get go with the animation. The show is 3D animated and whilst this looks good for any action scenes of scenes involving bikes (Which admittedly is fairly frequently) it looks kind of unnatural and awkward during the dialogue scenes. I mean, it's miles better than something like Rwby (Which might as well be bloody Potato Knishes compared to this) but still feels a little off and would have worked better in 2D in my opinion. I also felt that the mystery of the show fell a bit flat with the reveal being half hearted and the answer to the mystery feeling flimsy. As I mentioned before, characters aren't too developed, but given the short episode count, that might be asking for a little much. If you haven't seen the show, I'd recommend it as I think it has fairly broad appeal. There's a bit of something for everyone, with a bit of action, sci-fi, romance and mystery all thrown in.

7/10

The only thing I didn't get is why people call this show Akira in space. Apart from the superficial similarities due to Akira and Freedom sharing the same character designer, and both having similar looking bikes, both are quite different.

IncendiaryLemon said:
Freedom

The only thing I didn't get is why people call this show Akira in space. Apart from the superficial similarities due to Akira and Freedom sharing the same character designer, and both having similar looking bikes, both are quite different.
Sadly people are not always eager to back up their hot-take opinions with nonsense such as "knowledge" or "logic".

ilmaestro said:
IncendiaryLemon said:
Freedom

Sadly people are not always eager to back up their hot-take opinions with nonsense such as "knowledge" or "logic".

Tell me about it :roll:

Beyond the boundary - Great series, beautiful animation and an excellent soundtrack. I will defiantly be picking this one up on Blu Ray. Just watched the sequel film and loved that as well. fingers crossed it gets a UK release.

IncendiaryLemon said:
Freedom
Don't have reems to right about this one. Freedom is good. Not great or spectacular or mind blowing but simply good. It has a nice, simple adventure story with some enjoyable, if underdeveloped characters with and some pretty cool looking action sequences. At a short 7 episodes it doesn't waste any time and overstay its welcome nor does it feel too short so the pacing is just right. It took me 3 days to get through it but I'm a bit of a slow watcher so you could probably blow through it in a day if you tried. My issues with the series started from the get go with the animation. The show is 3D animated and whilst this looks good for any action scenes of scenes involving bikes (Which admittedly is fairly frequently) it looks kind of unnatural and awkward during the dialogue scenes. I mean, it's miles better than something like Rwby (Which might as well be bloody Potato Knishes compared to this) but still feels a little off and would have worked better in 2D in my opinion. I also felt that the mystery of the show fell a bit flat with the reveal being half hearted and the answer to the mystery feeling flimsy. As I mentioned before, characters aren't too developed, but given the short episode count, that might be asking for a little much. If you haven't seen the show, I'd recommend it as I think it has fairly broad appeal. There's a bit of something for everyone, with a bit of action, sci-fi, romance and mystery all thrown in.

7/10

I started watching this today myself, watched the Prologue and eps 1-4 so far. I'm really enjoying it so far. I quite like animation style it's kinda half way between 2D & CGI models, it's something different compared to most shows which is what i like. I know what ya mean about the story, it is quite predictable maybe it's something that would have worked better as a 2 hour film. Although i do feel like i've seen a similar story elsewhere whether it's in anime or in a live action film i can't remember.

DragonBlaze67 said:
IncendiaryLemon said:
Freedom

7/10

I started watching this today myself, watched the Prologue and eps 1-4 so far. I'm really enjoying it so far. I quite like animation style it's kinda half way between 2D & CGI models, it's something different compared to most shows which is what i like. I know what ya mean about the story, it is quite predictable maybe it's something that would have worked better as a 2 hour film. Although i do feel like i've seen a similar story elsewhere whether it's in anime or in a live action film i can't remember.

Those "pipes?" in the ending just kept me mesmerized.

IncendiaryLemon said:
Freedom

The only thing I didn't get is why people call this show Akira in space.

Maybe it's just because I've rarely (if ever) heard anyone discuss Freedom online, but it sounds to me more like marketing copy than anything else. Anything that Otomo has ever or ever will come into contact with is forever bound to be "FROM THE DIRECTOR OF AKIRA!!!"

Seven Deadly Sins - 10/10.

I loved every single second of this show, I'm not sure if it was a case of not expecting much going in? Either way the characters were charming, basic but engrossing story, on point comedy & an actual decent mascot character.

I'm craving season 2 already. It's going to be hard to wait & avoid sailing the seas if Netflix pick up the continuation.

Azumanga Daioh
Watching Azumanga Daioh was a very interesting experience for me. First broadcasting in 2002, this show is essentially the progenitor to all the Slice of Life comedies that would become so prominent in the years to come. Watching this must be like what watching Gundam '79 feels like to fans of Mech genre and it is really eye opening how much of my favourite Slice of Life shows like Kiniro Mosaic, Is The Order a Rabbit, Non Non Biyori and K-On were obviously influenced by this show.

For a show that is over a decade old at this point, Azumanga Daioh still looks very good, even by today's standards. The art style used is quite simple but this works in the show's favour and looks great for the type of show it is. It easily allows for some great use of exaggeration for comedic effect which always works fantastically. Even the character designs themselves allow for ample comedic opportunity with many a laugh being had at Chiyo's pigtails and Osaka's face is just inherently funny, even when she isn't doing anything. The music is also pretty fantastic. The soundtrack reminded me quite a lot of Non Non Biyori in terms of its instrumentation and general tone which is a great thing considering the Non Non Biyori soundtrack is also very good. The voice acting is also top notch. I chose to watch this show in Japanese so I can't really comment on the English cast but the Japanese cast all do a brilliant job. My favourite would have to be Tomoko Kaneda as Chiyo who delivers the absolutely perfect adorable voice for one of the cutest characters I've seen in an anime.

The heart of this show really is its characters and they are really the main reason to watch. The cast consists of 6 girls who are just tons of fun to watch and have really great chemistry together. Normally in shows like these it can be very easy to grow to love a single character but this is one instance where I find it incredibly hard to pick a favourite. Each girl brings something unique and has their moments that makes you really adore every character. Except maybe Yomi. Her personality trait was being normal which in a cast like this, is just kind of boring. Even though it is incredibly hard to play favourites, if I did have to pick, I'd have to go for Sakaki. Sakaki, I think, has the most episodes dedicated to her solely and this played a large part in my love for her. Her love of all things cute and her really unfortunate relationship with cats on top of her general shy personality just made her a fairly tragic character (In the context of the show of course :p) and the end of her arc with the cats was such an incredibly gratifying moment and was one of the highlights of the show.

In general, the comedy was also fantastic. Barely a single episode would go by where I wouldn't be in fits of laughter at least once and takes Yuyushiki's place as the most consistently hilarious show I've seen. There are just such a large variety of jokes and types of comedy here there really is something for everyone. I think my favourite comedic moments were when it would go all surreal (Which I'm guessing was in influence for Nichijou) as that created some incredibly baffling and funny situations that I couldn't even imagine.

I'd say that if you like Slice of Life or High School Comedy shows at all, even a little, you owe yourself to check out this show ASAP. A lot of anime I love are directly inspired by this show and Azumanga Daioh goes up there with the best of them.

9/10

It really is a shame this show is rather hard to watch in the UK. The licence, like many, went down with ADV so it can be hard to collect and it isn't legally streaming anywhere. Anime Limited seems to have gone on a bit of a kick recently rescuing old licenses of classic shows and this deserves to be among them.

IncendiaryLemon said:
Azumanga Daioh

It really is a shame this show is rather hard to watch in the UK. The licence, like many, went down with ADV so it can be hard to collect and it isn't legally streaming anywhere. Anime Limited seems to have gone on a bit of a kick recently rescuing old licenses of classic shows and this deserves to be among them.

Still available from Australia Region 4 on disc from Madman Entertainment

I'm aware, that's the version I have. It's still harder to get than it should be. Given the size of the set (Larger than Manga's Death Note set and the same size as the Chuunibyou LE) shipping is likely to be a bomb too.

IncendiaryLemon said:
I'm aware, that's the version I have. It's still harder to get than it should be. Given the size of the set (Larger than Manga's Death Note set and the same size as the Chuunibyou LE) shipping is likely to be a bomb too.

Given that no-one bothered to license rescue it in the US, I think it unlikely to come back anytime soon. And it is a show well worth seeing! I'm re-watching it now as it happens, have the ADV boxset, the one with the Chiyo notepad and pencil. My next episode is Sata Andagi!

DragonBlaze67 said:
The Region 4 is available on UP1/UP1USA as well, you can get for £25ish from UP1USA.

http://www.up1usa.com/Details/A1759

Much more sensible! Good heads up for those who might want to purchase. Nice price too.

Just Passing Through said:
IncendiaryLemon said:

Given that no-one bothered to license rescue it in the US, I think it unlikely to come back anytime soon. And it is a show well worth seeing! I'm re-watching it now as it happens, have the ADV boxset, the one with the Chiyo notepad and pencil. My next episode is Sata Andagi!

It's such a shame too. Also, that episode is great, Osaka gets some of the best gags in the show.

That UP1 price is better, but I went through the motions to check out the cost, and with the exchange rate and the shipping, the Madman price works out to about £35. And if I had absolutely no other option, I'd be happy to pay that for Azumanga Daioh.

The Future Diary (Dubbed)

The Future Diary, or Mirai Nikki as it is known in Japan, is a show that I always heard lots of starkly different things about. Whenever I saw it brought up on various places on the internet people either said it was fantastic or garbage. Naturally, hearing such conflicting opinions about a show really made me want to watch it and now that I have I can very clearly see exactly why opinions are so divided. The Future Diary is the very definition of a mixed bag and the end result is a show that is incredibly close to being something really special but falters too many times to look over it's numerous problems.

I want to start this off by highlighting the positives of this show, as it does a lot of thing right. The strongest asset to be found are the characters. The two main leads, Yuki and Yuno, are really fantastic protagonists in really different ways. Yuno is just plain interesting to watch. To put it bluntly, she is nuts. In what I can only describe as Annie Wilkes from Misery cranked up to 1000, Yuno's sudden turn from adoring girlfriend to psycho killing machine on a dime makes watching her very entertaining because she is so unpredictable. You really have no clue what she is going to do next which also helps the story because you can't really say what is going to happen next because of Yuno. She is also quite a tragic character as we see from numerous flashbacks as well as what we discover in the last few episodes. Yuki, on the other hand, is a great character because of the arc he goes through. At the start of the story, Yuki is pretty much identical to Shinji from Evangelion. He's whiny, spineless and doesn't do a whole lot other than feel sorry for himself. However, he slowly over the course of the series, as Ninth puts it, "Grows a pair". By the end of the series he is really kind of cool, being willing to fight for what he loves. The development is done very well and feels natural throughout the course of the series. What solidifies the characters to me is also the relationship the characters have. I went into this show fairly blind, I didn't really know anything about it other than the basic premise of a Battle Royale style tournament so I was quite surprised to discover the show had a fairly substantial Romance element and it is just very well done. The love starts off as very one sided but slowly but surely the characters get closer together in a way that feels incredibly natural. This is somewhat thrown off by the story though as something happens at about the halfway mark that really should have put a huge dent in the romance but in a mere two episodes, things are all hunky dory again which felt incredibly rushed, much like the rest of the story, but I'll get onto that later. Unfortunately, the characters don't fare so well outside of the main two. The supporting cast are, for the most part, fairly insubstantial, with two of the characters, Hinata and Mao, feeling like they are mostly there for fanservice. Akise Aru is the only one who really feels meaningful in terms of how he fits into the story but a lot of the time he feels like a plot delivery service than a real character.

Where The Future Diary really starts to fall apart is its story. Going into this, I wasn't really expecting a complicated story. The premise is simple, a bunch of people have diaries that can see into the future, last man standing wins. I never could have predicted what an absolute convoluted mess the story would become in its latter half. I'd say that, for the most part, the story is actually pretty straight forward for the first 14 or so episodes but, despite the show having nearly 30 episodes to tell its story, even the simple part of the story felt very rushed. Things would happen with little to no explanation that often left me questioning how or why they were even happening. Characters will have unexplained powers or change allegiance at a moments notice and it left me asking questions the show would never answer. However, despite this, I could still get by at this point. My issues with the story would increase ten fold as the show moved into its second half. The questions I had in regarding to the plot were mounting to the sky and there were multiple episodes where I legitimately had no clue what was happening or how it related to the story. This got especially bad when the story introduces elements towards the end that get especially hard to follow, and the ending to the show was especially bad in terms of not knowing exactly what was happening or why. I will say, at time of writing, I haven't seen the Rewrite OVA but I feel that if I let that affect my opinion of the show itself it would be unfair as the OVA came way later and isn't even legally available in the UK or the US and I want to judge the show as I saw it, on its own merits. I hope the OVA might be able to remedy some of my issues with the story but my hopes aren't high. As I said above, this show's strong point is its characters and I feel if they put all their stock into that, giving them even more time to develop and build the relationship between the two in exchange for a simpler story which ignored all the out there, convoluted plot that happened in the second half then this show would have been way better for it. That said, despite the story being incomprehensible at times, it was never once dull. This is definitely one of the best thrill ride shows I've seen and I was never bored. If you can just turn off your brain and not question or contemplate the story one iota, then you can probably get by.

Art and animation in The Future Diary is generally pretty good. Nothing here is going to blow you away but it looks better than average and the action scenes are especially well animated. I also really liked the varied character designs that the show had going on with the characters being very easily identifiable, even by their silhouette, which I think means the character designer did a very good job. The music in the show was decent but nothing really stood out. I did, however, really like both OPs and both were very well animated and had great songs although I did find myself preferring the more heavy and chaotic sounding first OP. Something that stood out as a negative in this area was the stock stingers they would use to punctuate some events. I had heard these from a ton of stuff before and were clearly just bought rather than made and they kind of took me out of it, the same way something like a Wilhelm Scream would. I watched this show dubbed and I thought the English voice cast did a superb job but seeing at this is a Funimation dub, that's kind of expected. They always seem to have the best dubs.

Watching The Future Diary was an incredibly frustrating experience for me. It was a show that always felt like it was on the cusp of being something truly outstanding and amazing but it was needlessly bogged down by so much over complicated story I can't help but feel like the plot soured the experience on the whole. It's still a relentlessly entertaining show that never bored me for a second but it could have been more if it had just put the story in the background a little more and focused on its strongest asset. Its characters.

8/10

Berserk: The Golden Age Arc Trilogy

The 1997 Berserk anime is one of my all-time favourite shows. It is just plain fantastic in almost every way. It's story is simple but effective, it's characters well developed and the action is over the top in all the right ways. However, at this point, the show is fairly old, almost as old as me, and it hasn't exactly aged incredibly well. Whilst I'm sure it probably looks good, if not great, in the late 90s, nowadays it doesn't really hold up. That's where the Golden Arc Trilogy comes in. The three films (Egg of the King, Battle for Doldrey and The Advent) re-adapt the Golden Age arc from the Manga, covering the same arc that made up the 1997 series and makes numerous improvements over the 1997 classic.

The new animation in this show looks pretty good for the most part. Whilst almost anything nowadays would look better than a show produced in the 90s just by virtue of it being newer, this looks good even by today's standards. The animation is a mixture of traditional 2D animation and CGI 3D animation and whilst the 3D can take a little getting used to, it is fairly well implemented. Some of the CG in the first movie looks a little rough but improves in the second and third films and really makes the battle scenes look incredible in spots and is the biggest area of improvement over original show, where much of the animation for the battles was kind of poor and relied heavily on still frames if my memory serves me correct.

The story and characters in these films remain largely unchanged from the original show so there isn't a lot to talk in that regard. The story is quite a simple one but it serves its purpose and is quite effective. In both of its adaptations, Berserk is definitely more focused on its characters rather than its story and as so the story is more of a background element. The characters are still fantastic with the relationship between Guts, Casca and Griffith being the best part of the films and watching them evolve over the course of the three movies feels really natural. Where The Golden Arc Trilogy differs from the '97 series is its cuts. The original show was 24 episodes long whereas these movies combined running time isn't even 5 hours, so there were definitely a fair few cuts. It's been awhile since I've seen the original show so I can't remember everything but the only large cuts I noticed were the entirety of the first episode from the original show and the scenes showing what Guts was doing in the year he left the Hawks. I don't remember there being a whole lot of filler in the original series so there must be other significant cuts but I'm honestly not sure where. The story in the movies is still cohesive and doesn't waste any time so whatever they cut can't have been massively important. One part the show actually expands on is the ending, which is one thing I was really hoping they would do. The ending of the '97 Berserk anime is fairly poor, not because of the ending itself but because of how abrupt it is. The last movie goes on for about another 10 minutes, ending in a much more satisfying place.

Overall, these films do a fantastic job of taking the fantastic 1997 series and giving it a new lick of paint it whilst retaining everything else that made the original show so great.

9/10

Monster

As good as people said it would be. Binged it in just over 2 and a half weeks, it was just that good. The story kept me hooked and guessing, and wanting to watch just one more so I could see what happens next.

A generally strong cast of characters, with plenty great ones who pop up just for a few episodes or so (Dieter can get ****** though), and a main antagonist who is just expertly crafted.

9/10

Back