Quote of the day!!

Somewhat deliberate in its misleading setup, though - Nature does not (to any measurable degree) set out with a deliberate intent to make, it makes and remakes based around what works. The approach to "making" is essentially totally reversed in nature compared to human artifice, which usually starts with a desired conclusion and strives to force things to get there. In other words, nature can sometimes admit when it is wrong, man is not so reliable.

"It's better to light a candle than curse the darkness"

Dunno who said this but it's been stuck in my head for weeks, some people in the world though probably need to learn this one. ;)

On a similar theme...

"Light thinks it travels faster than anything but it is wrong. No matter how fast light travels, it finds the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it." - Terry Pratchett

It's alive!

"I wrote a column all about hats, about the very concept and notion of hats. I pretended to be enraged by hats. And there were some comments along the lines of: "What have hats done to you? Leave hats alone." Just goes to show people will take anything seriously. Half the time I don't know whether I'm taking myself seriously when I write things. So I'm always baffled by that kind of reaction. People tend to think I'm a lot more earnest than I am. But sometimes I am, of course. That's what's weird. When you're being earnest, people think you're being sarcastic and when you're being sarcastic, they think you're being earnest. The moral in all this, of course, is that people should never attempt to communicate." - Charlie Brooker

He always amused me, but I never realised quite how much I loved this man until now.

Did I say loved? I mean hated, obviously.

Still remains to be my favourite quote:

"Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who
mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind." -- Dr Seuss.

I also love this one a lot too:

"When you realize that you are one of the rare few who observe moral principles in their relationships with others, there is a temptation to sink into amorality, not out of conviction or pleasure but simply to avoid further pain, because there is no greater suffering than being an angel in hell, whereas a devil feels at home wherever he goes." -- Martin Page

Both are on my Facebook :D

I may be wrongful for this, and it's from years ago, but I can't help but find this properly hilarious :lol: so many quotables

" Ethnic banter is simple, I'm this race your that race he's this race, but we're all one people, we are one human, and I'm not gonna sit here and pretend that I do not favour my race spiritually unconditionally without knowing even"

"you see what it is Bob, if someone says a word to you and you batter them and they call the police, you might just get done for GBH Bob...if someone says to me da da da I might not batter them, because I'm human enough to know that's just a word, what about that."

"if you feel like we had ethnic banter and I might have come out on a tip that was unacceptable in your eyes, anyone like that, I apologise to you for feeling that way, I don't actually apologise to you because I'm sorry.

:lol: :lol:

Last edited by a moderator:
vashdaman said:

I may be wrongful for this, and it's from a few years ago, but I can't help but find this properly hilarious :lol: so many quotables

" Ethnic banter is simple, I'm this race your that race he's this race, but we're all one people, we are one human, and I'm not gonna sit here and pretend that I do not favour my race spiritually unconditionally without knowing even"

"you see what it is Bob, if someone says a word to you and you batter them and they call the police, you might just get done for GBH Bob...if someone says to me da da da I might not batter them, because I'm human enough to know that's just a word, what about that."

"if you feel like we had ethnic banter and I might have come out on a tip that was unacceptable in your eyes, anyone like that, I apologise to you for feeling that way, I don't actually apologise to you because I'm sorry.

:lol: :lol:

Tried to edit, ended up quoting.

more Wiley: "I'm gonna be an musician in my past life"

haha, does actually make sense though.

and if you want more listen to all of this, definitely one of his finest and maddest moments:

Aside from how mad and funny he is, I do genuinely think Wiley is one of the all time music greats. He's up there with Miles Davis and Marvin Gaye.

Quote of the day...? How about:

They say it's all about give and take.

But giving a sh*t and taking a sh*t are two very different things.

Sorry to lower the tone! :p
I hope at least someone found that thought amusing.

True but at the very least both can be quite satisfying ;)

Since the live-action Ghost in the Shell movie is out this week, here's anime expert Jonathan Clements's view on the prospect of a Hollywood version of Akira:

"Hollywood will do what it always does: buy something because it's different and then faff with it until it's the same as everything else. I shall lower my expectations to the barest minimum and work on the assumption that it should bring at least a few new viewers to the anime classic. In the time I'll save [in not getting involved in discussing it], I'll learn to knit."
;)

Bit of a quote tree here from one of my favourite games. What can change the nature of a man, after all? *smile*

Nameless One
: What can change the nature of a man?
The Transcendent One: I have seen you live a countless lives, Broken One, I have lived your endless quests that accomplish nothing except spread your torment though the multiverse. Then, this is my answer and you are my proof: Nothing can change the nature of a man.
Nameless One: You are wrong. If there is anything I have learned in my travels across the Planes, it is that many things may change the nature of a man. Whether regret, or love, or revenge or fear - whatever you believe can change the nature of a man, can.
The Transcendent One: Then you learned a false lesson, Broken One.
Nameless One: Have I? I've seen belief move cities, make men stave off death, and turn an evil hag's heart half-circle. This entire Fortress has been constructed from belief. Belief damned a woman, whose heart clung to the hope that another loved her when he did not. Once, it made a man seek immortality and achieve it. And it has made a posturing spirit think it is something more than a part of me.

Gaming philosophy? I like it!

Can we do song lyrics, too?

But then night rolls around, and it all starts making sense
There is no right way or wrong way: you just have to live
And so I do what I do, and at least I exist
What could mean more than this? What would mean more...?
Bright Eyes, "Hit the switch" from Digital Ash in a Digital Urn

“It's really not a good idea to threaten me, my young friend. My rage is as twisted as my face & my face is pretty twisted.”

Snake in Tekkonkinkreet. One of my favourite lines from any Anime, film or otherwise and just one of my favourite Film Quotes all round. Ultimate crazy bad guy talk and I love it.

I knew this thread existed. From the man who brought you the classic (now largely ignored) “Actions speak louder than words” comes probably the single most apt quote for our times:

“A time is coming when men will go mad, and when they see someone who is not mad, they will attack him, saying, 'You are mad; you are not like us.”
- St. Anthony the Great

And to think he lived hundreds of years before anti-depressants and the Department of Work and Pensions. Amazing.

St. Anthony’s response to this upcoming mad world was to go off and live alone in an abandoned fort, a perfectly rational response now as then, though he lived in a time before every inch of land was owned and regulated and abandoned property was protected by CCTV and private security. Lucky St. Anthony. These days he’d probably be sleeping in doorways until the Community Support Officers moved him on.

Since the live-action Ghost in the Shell movie is out this week, here's anime expert Jonathan Clements's view on the prospect of a Hollywood version of Akira:
"Hollywood will do what it always does: buy something because it's different and then faff with it until it's the same as everything else. I shall lower my expectations to the barest minimum and work on the assumption that it should bring at least a few new viewers to the anime classic. In the time I'll save [in not getting involved in discussing it], I'll learn to knit."​
;)

If I ever go to a Q&A where he's on stage I must ask him how his knitting is coming along as I am currently making a bright pink and orange-yellow striped hat and could use some tips ;)

Back