Quote of the day!!

Vashdaman

Za Warudo
I thought this would be a nice little thread (even though it will probably die a swift death). Of course, the quote doesn't actually have to be from today(for the more literally minded of you out there).

I'll start with

People buy things they don't need, with money they don't have, to impress people they don't like.- Lauren Hill

While I'm tempted to drop "The ability to quote is a serviceable substitute for wit" (attributed to both Oscar Wilde and W. Somerset Maugham) I think I'll go with:

"Maybe there is no Heaven. Or maybe this is all pure gibberish — a product of the demented imagination of a lazy drunken hillbilly with a heart full of hate who has found a way to live out where the real winds blow — to sleep late, have fun, get wild, drink whisky, and drive fast on empty streets with nothing in mind except falling in love and not getting arrested... Res ipsa loquitur. Let the good times roll." - Hunter S. Thompson

Rest assured that should this thread survive, there is much more of the Doctor's wisdom to be imparted.

ayase said:
While I'm tempted to drop "The ability to quote is a serviceable substitute for wit" (attributed to both Oscar Wilde and W. Somerset Maugham) I think I'll go with:

"Maybe there is no Heaven. Or maybe this is all pure gibberish — a product of the demented imagination of a lazy drunken hillbilly with a heart full of hate who has found a way to live out where the real winds blow — to sleep late, have fun, get wild, drink whisky, and drive fast on empty streets with nothing in mind except falling in love and not getting arrested... Res ipsa loquitur. Let the good times roll." - Hunter S. Thompson

Rest assured that should this thread survive, there is much more of the Doctor's wisdom to be imparted.

Well if you had dropped the Wilde quote it would've been rather ironic...

He showed great grace in playing for me. He took no money for playing - Simon Clifford, Garforth Town Club chairman paying tribute to Brazil legend Socrates who died today in Sao Paulo aged 57. The Brazilian had played a key part in securing Garforth's promotion from the Northern Counties East League.

Good stuff so far, peeps!

Chuang Tzu and Hui Tzu were strolling along the dam of the Hao River when Chuang Tzu said, "See how the minnows come out and dart around where they please! That's what fish really enjoy!"
Hui Tzu said, "You're not a fish—how do you know what fish enjoy?"
Chuang Tzu said, "You're not I, so how do you know I don't know what fish enjoy?"
- From the classic book Chuang Tzu

I love that last line.

'I know that you believe that you understood what you think I said, but I am not sure you realise that what you heard is not what I meant.'

Robert McCloskey

Breaking my online silence for this so;

Winston Churchill has many quotes but seeing this world as it stands i believe the following is most appropriate for the nation if not the world to hear;

"We contend that for a nation to tax itself into prosperity is like a man standing in a bucket and trying to lift himself up by the handle."

And a timely quote for christmas:
"We make a living by what we get, but we make a life by what we give".

For those who enjoy quotes of a certain nature, i suggest looking into Carl Sagan quotes. (ayase, you may enjoy them most of all)

"All of the books in the world contain no more information than is broadcast as video in a single large American city in a single year. Not all bits have equal value."
Carl Sagan

"But the fact that some geniuses were laughed at does not imply that all who are laughed at are geniuses. They laughed at Columbus, they laughed at Fulton, they laughed at the Wright Brothers. But they also laughed at Bozo the Clown."
Carl Sagan

I'll input my personal mantra for those who may like it:
"Persistence is the key to success"

I leave you all with this last quote, again from Winston Churchill:
"I am ready to meet my Maker. Whether my Maker is prepared for the ordeal of meeting me is another matter."

You got me there Tachi, I do indeed like a bit of Carl Sagan. :)

"I wish someone would just start Fly At Your Own Risk Airlines. How 'bout that? You can have your hair gel, you can have your lighter, you can have a f*cking gun, how 'bout that? You can show up at the gate five minutes before the plane leaves, and pay in cash, like in the good ol' 1980s. The ticket just says "**** happens" on the back, because that's the way it is anyway." - Bill Maher

"I know exactly what the people want, and I'm damned if I'm going to give it to them."

Lord Reith, first Director General of the BBC.

Back