Post your Monthly Manga Haul

Everyone has lots! I am jealous.
That Rose of Versailles is really nice, I didn't see it before. That's definitely going on my to buy list.

Here is what I got:
IMG_20211010_150621524.jpg

I am also awaiting Kuroshitsuji volume 25 to arrive in the mail.

When I look at it like this... and including Kuroshitsuji, I didn't realise before how almost everything is a bit gothic.

Everyone has lots! I am jealous.
That Rose of Versailles is really nice, I didn't see it before. That's definitely going on my to buy list.

Here is what I got:

I am also awaiting Kuroshitsuji volume 25 to arrive in the mail.

When I look at it like this... and including Kuroshitsuji, I didn't realise before how almost everything is a bit gothic.
That's a really nice haul! The Chobits cover is beautiful, one of my favourite ever Chobits illustrations. I'm still on the fence about picking up that Fist of the North Star (I'm a fan of the anime but I learnt from Jojo that I don't like to collect long hardcover series) but it does look really nice. I really should pick up Rozen Maiden.

As for Rose of Versailles, I'm hoping that there will be re-prints soon. Because I think volume 1 and 2 are impossible to find in the UK for a good price right now... Luckily I have 1 but I'm missing 2 before I can complete my collection.

Definitely at the end of my arrivals/purchases for the month, so here's how things look...

First up the digital lot:
IMG_0464.PNG

I somewhat regret picking up Boy Meets Maria as a digital release given it ended up being such a good story, I wouldn't have minded having it on the bookcase instead. :<

Now for the physical arrivals/purchases:
Manga haul October.jpeg
This ended up being a lot because I bought a bunch of Our Last Crusade or the Rise of a New World. Since the anime had a S2 announced I figured it would probably go OOP for a bit and I might as well pick it up now to avoid hardship later. The thin book down the left side there is the official fanbook for Ascendance of a Bookworm, so technically not a manga or a LN but I included it since it's sort of related. :)

Awesome thread! Here's my haul for October.
manga-haul-october.png
Most of them are new volumes of manga I was already reading. Quite surprised I was so far behind on Komi, but that just means there's plenty for me to read. Also bought several manga by Inio Asano, I must say I'm quite a fan of his works. In that sense, the only 'new' title, and a blind buy at that, was Boy's Abyss. Quite intriguing first volume, so will definitely continue, though something tells me it won't be able to stay as interesting.

Adachi and Shimamura (manga) vol 2
Ascendance of a Bookworm (manga) vols 4-6
Attack on Titan vol 34
Bakemonogatari (manga) vols 1-10
Chio's School Road vols 5 & 6
Dirty Pair Omnibus
Girl Friends
(yuri) vol 1
Grand Blue Dreaming vol 14
I Married My Best Friend to Shut My Parents Up (yuri)
Kase-san and Morning Glories (yuri)
Kindred Spirits on the Roof (yuri)
Magical Girl Site vols 11 & 12
New Game! vols 4-6
No Game No Life (manga) vols 1 & 2
Non Non Biyori vol 15
Our Teachers are Dating! (yuri) vol 1
Sayanora, Football vols 1 & 2
School-Live! vols 11 & 12
Secret of the Princess (yuri)
Super HxEROs vol 4
Transparent Light Blue (yuri)
Whenever Our Eyes Meet... (yuri anthology)
Whispered Words (yuri) vols 1-3
Whisper Me a Love Song (yuri) vol 4
Yuuna and the Haunted Hot Springs vols 11 & 12

Adachi and Shimamura (manga) vol 2
Ascendance of a Bookworm (manga) vols 4-6
Attack on Titan vol 34
Bakemonogatari (manga) vols 1-10
Chio's School Road vols 5 & 6
Dirty Pair Omnibus
Girl Friends
(yuri) vol 1
Grand Blue Dreaming vol 14
I Married My Best Friend to Shut My Parents Up (yuri)
Kase-san and Morning Glories (yuri)
Kindred Spirits on the Roof (yuri)
Magical Girl Site vols 11 & 12
New Game! vols 4-6
No Game No Life (manga) vols 1 & 2
Non Non Biyori vol 15
Our Teachers are Dating! (yuri) vol 1
Sayanora, Football vols 1 & 2
School-Live! vols 11 & 12
Secret of the Princess (yuri)
Super HxEROs vol 4
Transparent Light Blue (yuri)
Whenever Our Eyes Meet... (yuri anthology)
Whispered Words (yuri) vols 1-3
Whisper Me a Love Song (yuri) vol 4
Yuuna and the Haunted Hot Springs vols 11 & 12

Thankyou, I really appreciate this and hope it wasn't too much trouble :)

for those who buy a lot of different series (10-15+) do you have 1 big bookcase dedicated for storing them? i started buying manga physically and discovered they really do take up a lot of room so i more or less try and focus on the really small runs/good stuff physically and just use my friends comixology account for the rest of the stuff i want to read, i want to get the Alita/Akira boxsets in the future but the price of these things are pretty high but i guess it's offset by the print quality

Space is… a constant issue that I battle with lol. I currently have two bookcases in the living room with 6 shelves each, one is double stacked (so a row and then another in front) and the other is triple stacked since it’s deeper. We recently bought three more smaller bookcases that we put elsewhere but once those are full I’ll have to think of something else.

In the last 2-3 years I have started to buy more digitally, but largely only series I don’t think I’ll be in a hurry to reread or don’t think I’d value a physical release of. Though having said that the majority of my purchases are still physical books because I honestly prefer that to digital overall even despite the growing space concerns. 😅

So happy to see everyone's hauls aswell as this thread being enjoyed so much! I'll try to post my own haul this week too. Been another slightly crazy month for me.
for those who buy a lot of different series (10-15+) do you have 1 big bookcase dedicated for storing them? i started buying manga physically and discovered they really do take up a lot of room so i more or less try and focus on the really small runs/good stuff physically and just use my friends comixology account for the rest of the stuff i want to read, i want to get the Alita/Akira boxsets in the future but the price of these things are pretty high but i guess it's offset by the print quality
I buy a LOT of different series but I do try to avoid the long running ones. If it's over 14 volumes long, I'm heavily considering if I really want to collect it. Most series I will just not pick up if they're longer than or even approaching that many volumes. Of course, sometimes you pick up a new series and you never know how long it will be, but thankfully my favourite genres (romance/shoujo) don't tend to run too long.
I currently have 2 bookshelves, a smaller one and a taller one. On the taller one I am planning to make a 'step' at the back part of the shelves to slightly lift my manga up so I can double stack without completely covering the back volumes. I think this will be the most space efficient and yet still easily useable option.
Probably will invest in a 3rd bookshelf eventually and try to make it my last until I have more room to work with.

for those who buy a lot of different series (10-15+) do you have 1 big bookcase dedicated for storing them?
Storage is actually quite easy and you just have to adjust along the way as your collection grows. You start with one shelf and dedicate it to manga. Slowly but steadily the shelf fills up and each time you walk past it you smile. Once the shelf is full, you start using that other shelf that didn't really have a purpose. You know, the one with the odd blu-ray, some video games and perhaps some random bits and bobs. As time goes on, that shelf becomes your second manga shelf and is filled from left to right as well. At this point your next best friend will be the pile.

I always get a bit emotional seeing them grow, but they are just so great to have around. New volume? Onto the pile. Want to read your latest haul? Top of the pile. Just note that a pile can get lonely, if one grows without friends it might collapse. So get yourself a second pile. You might think you'll leave it at two, but if you're like me, you'll be getting a third and fourth one. And seeing the piles support each other, you know it was the right decision.

Every once in a while you manage to secure some more shelf space. Perhaps you cleared a shelf, bought a new bookcase, or decided to have a 'hybrid' shelf with some manga and something else. But you know the breaking point is approaching. Any more piles would be irresponsible and the shelves are filled to the brim. Some volumes even lay on top of the others and, honestly, it's a mess. You walk past your shelf and catch yourself forcing a smile. The time has come... time for boxes.

Why didn't you think of this sooner?! Done reading a long running series? Into a box, all together. You can go wild with categorization, based on author, based on genre, based on publisher, based on size/colour, whatever you want. Sure, it doesn't always go that neatly, but you know it wouldn't really bother you as you won't be walking past it every day. And voilà, you can breathe again. It feels a bit empty without your trusty piles, but your shelves have never looked better. Only the series you absolutely love or are currently reading. There's even some space left to grow!!!

But nothing lasts forever. Back are the piles, and you've tucked in a volume or two horizontally on top of the others on the shelf again. More boxes? Is that even possible with the space you have? This calls for some intensive reorganizing. You unpack all boxes, organize everything with a new system in the hopes of packing things more efficiently. It takes longer than you expected, it always does. After a full day of hard work, you somehow managed to get rid of the piles, pack more manga in the boxes than physically possible and your shelves are not full, just fullish. As the sun sets, you stand proudly looking over your collection.
DING DONG Your next batch of manga has arrived

(Based on a true story)

Storage is actually quite easy and you just have to adjust along the way as your collection grows. You start with one shelf and dedicate it to manga. Slowly but steadily the shelf fills up and each time you walk past it you smile. Once the shelf is full, you start using that other shelf that didn't really have a purpose. You know, the one with the odd blu-ray, some video games and perhaps some random bits and bobs. As time goes on, that shelf becomes your second manga shelf and is filled from left to right as well. At this point your next best friend will be the pile.

I always get a bit emotional seeing them grow, but they are just so great to have around. New volume? Onto the pile. Want to read your latest haul? Top of the pile. Just note that a pile can get lonely, if one grows without friends it might collapse. So get yourself a second pile. You might think you'll leave it at two, but if you're like me, you'll be getting a third and fourth one. And seeing the piles support each other, you know it was the right decision.

Every once in a while you manage to secure some more shelf space. Perhaps you cleared a shelf, bought a new bookcase, or decided to have a 'hybrid' shelf with some manga and something else. But you know the breaking point is approaching. Any more piles would be irresponsible and the shelves are filled to the brim. Some volumes even lay on top of the others and, honestly, it's a mess. You walk past your shelf and catch yourself forcing a smile. The time has come... time for boxes.

Why didn't you think of this sooner?! Done reading a long running series? Into a box, all together. You can go wild with categorization, based on author, based on genre, based on publisher, based on size/colour, whatever you want. Sure, it doesn't always go that neatly, but you know it wouldn't really bother you as you won't be walking past it every day. And voilà, you can breathe again. It feels a bit empty without your trusty piles, but your shelves have never looked better. Only the series you absolutely love or are currently reading. There's even some space left to grow!!!

But nothing lasts forever. Back are the piles, and you've tucked in a volume or two horizontally on top of the others on the shelf again. More boxes? Is that even possible with the space you have? This calls for some intensive reorganizing. You unpack all boxes, organize everything with a new system in the hopes of packing things more efficiently. It takes longer than you expected, it always does. After a full day of hard work, you somehow managed to get rid of the piles, pack more manga in the boxes than physically possible and your shelves are not full, just fullish. As the sun sets, you stand proudly looking over your collection.
DING DONG Your next batch of manga has arrived

(Based on a true story)
Very relatable haha. I must say, if you want to use boxes, I highly recommend plastic storage boxes. Before I had shelves for my manga I was using them and you can fit a lot in there, since they're made of plastic not cardboard you can also be a little more comfortable in them being secure.
I saw someone using them in this video, which also has some great storage techniques if you want to get as much out of your space as possible:

My October haul! Another crazy one and I haven't quite slowed down yet in November... I really do want/hope to slow down in future haha because I'm not going to have space for it at this rate. But there's so much good stuff being released, finding amazing secondhand deals (quite a few manga here cost me as little as £2!) and buying series that are out of print/hard to find before I simply can't find them anymore. Supporting the industry is also nice :D

mIDNqxo.jpg

Please forgive the awful photo, I'll list the titles below.

Onegai Teacher 1-2 (Complete)
Absolute Boyfriend 1-3, 5
X-Day 1-2 (Complete)
Yu-Gi-Oh! 5Ds 2
Itazura Na Kiss 2-3
Rose of Versailles 5
Don't Toy with Me Nagatoro 1
Carole & Tuesday 1
Daytime Shooting Star 1
An Incurable Case of Love 1-2
Mixed Vegatables 1-5
Imadoki 1-5 (Complete)
Mysterious Girlfriend X 1
Stepping on Roses 7-9 (Just need volume 6, ordered it from the US so it's taking a while)
Happy Marriage 5-10 (Completed my set)
Eromanga Sensei 1-3 ("Complete" as they have dropped the series...)
Water Dragon's Bride 2
One Pound Gospel 3
Chasing After Aoi Koshiba 1-2 (Unsure if complete? I can find listings for volume 3, but they use the same picture from volume 2, guessing it exists but they're using a placeholder)
If It's for My Daughter, I'd Even Defeat a Demon Lord 1-2
Kemono Friends Welcome to Japari Park (This cost me £3 in like new condition, currently Amazon has it used for under £2, definitely recommend you get your hands on this mega size volume for it's current going prices!)
Inubaka 1
Densha Otoko 1-2
Hot Gimmick 2
Cardfight Vanguard 1-4, 6

Yay! I'm slowly working my way through these and enjoying every moment of it :D

Last edited:
Eromanga Sensei 1-3 ("Complete" as they have dropped the series...)

Nice to see someone else getting into Eromanga Sensei, although it bugs me that Dark Horse never finished it. :(

Chasing After Aoi Koshiba 1-2 (Unsure if complete? I can find listings for volume 3, but they use the same picture from volume 2, guessing it exists but they're using a placeholder)

The series is still ongoing in Japan and they do have a third volume which came out in July there. It looks like the chapters get released monthly, so it's a fairly slow release schedule. I imagine once Kodansha gets caught up with Volume 3 we'll be waiting a while for the next instalment. :)

Nice haul btw!

Nice to see someone else getting into Eromanga Sensei, although it bugs me that Dark Horse never finished it. :(

The series is still ongoing in Japan and they do have a third volume which came out in July there. It looks like the chapters get released monthly, so it's a fairly slow release schedule. I imagine once Kodansha gets caught up with Volume 3 we'll be waiting a while for the next instalment. :)

Nice haul btw!
Thanks so much for the info!

It really is sad that Dark Horse picked up and dropped BOTH Oreimo and Eromanga Sensei... how do you do that twice? I'm guessing they both got dropped over the taboo themes, but it's not like those are anything but obvious when they picked the titles up. It would be nice if they would at least make a statement about it instead of just silently dropping it and leaving everyone confused or waiting for more that will probably never come.
On the other hand, probably nobody else would have picked them up (especially Eromanga Sensei imho it's a bit more taboo than Oreimo) so I'm happy to have something rather than nothing.

Thanks so much for the info!

It really is sad that Dark Horse picked up and dropped BOTH Oreimo and Eromanga Sensei... how do you do that twice? I'm guessing they both got dropped over the taboo themes, but it's not like those are anything but obvious when they picked the titles up. It would be nice if they would at least make a statement about it instead of just silently dropping it and leaving everyone confused or waiting for more that will probably never come.
On the other hand, probably nobody else would have picked them up (especially Eromanga Sensei imho it's a bit more taboo than Oreimo) so I'm happy to have something rather than nothing.

Completely agree and it's not like the taboo themes aren't obvious when licensing them given at least for Eromanga Sensei its in the very premise (although actually, it's not as bad as Oreimo for reasons, but it's a bit of a spoiler to touch more on that). I do think another publisher like Yen Press would have released them until the end though and even Kodansha have some questionable titles on the books in a similar light - like Domestic Girlfriend.

Part of the problem is that Dark Horse has dropped enough series where people don't always trust them to release things to the end, heck even a popular series like Blood Blockade Battlefront looked like it was in trouble for a while there. Thankfully they did finish it, but the sequel has yet to be picked up which is disappointing. :(

Completely agree and it's not like the taboo themes aren't obvious when licensing them given at least for Eromanga Sensei its in the very premise (although actually, it's not as bad as Oreimo for reasons, but it's a bit of a spoiler to touch more on that). I do think another publisher like Yen Press would have released them until the end though and even Kodansha have some questionable titles on the books in a similar light - like Domestic Girlfriend.

Part of the problem is that Dark Horse has dropped enough series where people don't always trust them to release things to the end, heck even a popular series like Blood Blockade Battlefront looked like it was in trouble for a while there. Thankfully they did finish it, but the sequel has yet to be picked up which is disappointing. :(
Don't worry, I've seen the Eromanga Sensei anime and I think I know what spoilers you're referring to :p But what I meant by more taboo was about Sagiri's age (she is not only younger but looks much younger than Kirino too) and also that it is more sexual.
I would love to have seen it fully picked up and completed by another publisher, but I guess you never know, so I try to look on the bright side!

And yeah Dark Horse has to be one of my least favourite publishers tbh I can't really trust them either.

Don't worry, I've seen the Eromanga Sensei anime and I think I know what spoilers you're referring to :p But what I meant by more taboo was about Sagiri's age (she is not only younger but looks much younger than Kirino too) and also that it is more sexual.
I would love to have seen it fully picked up and completed by another publisher, but I guess you never know, so I try to look on the bright side!

And yeah Dark Horse has to be one of my least favourite publishers tbh I can't really trust them either.

Ah okay :p In that case, I was just referring to the fact they're not blood-related like in Oreimo, which took away some of the ehhh factors for some readers. But beyond that I agree re: it being more sexual given the younger age of the cast compared to Oreimo though, I hadn't considered that angle as much. Mind you I probably should have since I've seen the swimsuit cover for volume 5 or 6 and that's likely to have put Dark Horse off. (meanwhile, I continue on reading equipped with my rough Japanese abilities...) 😣

End of November hauls~

First up the physical releases:
monthly haul November.jpeg
Wandering Witch volume 3
My Next Life as a Villainess: All Routes Lead to Doom! volume 6
To the Abandoned Sacred Beasts volume 12
The Strongest Sage with the Weakest Crest volume 6
Snow White with the Red Hair volume 16
Toilet-Bound Hanako-kun volume 11
I Think Our Son is Gay volume 2
My Hero Academia Ultra Analysis
Konosuba volume 15 (LN)
I Kept Pressing the 100-Million-Year-Button and Came Out on Top volume 1 (LN)
Sword Art Online volume 23 (LN)
Sarazamai the Official Manga Anthology
A Witch's Printing Office volume 5
The Otherworlder, Exploring the Dungeon volume 1 (LN)

Digital haul:
Digital monthly haul November.jpeg
In/Spectre volume 14
My Androgynous Boyfriend volume 3
My Lovey-Dovey Wife is a Stone Cold Killer volume 1
Koi ni Mudaguchi volume 6 (JP)
Mr. Bride volume 4
Anyway, I'm Falling in Love with You volume 1
Sex Ed 120% volume 2
With a Dog and a Cat, Every Day is Fun! volume 4
With a Dog and a Cat, Every Day is Fun! volume 5
Skip and Loafer volume 2

Back to my more or less usual spending habits for a month (which is good for the backlog, I might read them all sometime this decade haha...ha...). Next month has Christmas though so I suspect that will be an impressive haul. :3

Back