Post your Monthly Manga Haul

setokaiba

Student Council President
Wanted to make a thread for this since I didn't feel like it fit into the what did you recieve today general thread. This thread is for posting your monthly manga haul, and talking about it if you wish!

Here was mine for August:
222Rud6.jpg

I got:
  • Miss Kobayashi's Dragon Maid volume 1
  • Midnight Secretary volume 1
  • Not Your Idol volume 2 (Need volume 1!)
  • After Hours volume 3
  • Takane & Hana volume 8, 13, 15, 16 (Random volumes as I'm trying to complete the series but they keep reprinting out of order)
  • Yugioh R volume 1-5 (I had 1-4 but volume 5 is so rare and hard to find, ended up buying a full set just to get 5 at a good price and also pretty happy to replace my previous copies with library covers)
  • Chobits volume 1-3 (Nostalgia! I loved the anime, never had the manga, picked these up for only £3 each)
  • Rose of Versailles volume 1 (I caught it just before it became difficult to find... Now I can't find volume 2. Why did nobody tell me sooner that this released?? I've been waiting since the 2015 announcement and I just assumed it got dropped)
  • Happy Marriage volume 1
  • I am Here! volume 1 (Super relatable if you were the quiet, misunderstood outsider girl in high school like I was, one of the most relatable protagonists ever for me)
  • The Way of the House Husband volume 1 (Almost dismissed this but it's actually really funny, glad I picked it up)
  • A Man & His Cat volume 1 (Super emotional, feel good manga and must read for cat lovers!)
  • Prince of Tennis volume 1-7

As you can see, I got a pretty wide variety of manga. I'd say my main focus is shoujo romance but honestly I just buy anything that I like and my interests are pretty broad.
I'll be posting my monthly manga haul here and I would love to see you post yours!

Awesome that you've started this thread and I like shoujo romances too but I'm just SO IN AWE of your wonderful Pusheen... er, bedsheets? Blanket? Whatever it is it's blimming great! I haven't bought any manga this month cuz I have a considerable backlog to work through rn, but the last manga I bought were:

Silent Mobius Volumes 1-12 (so all of the Viz release of the original series)
Cromartie High School - Volumes 1-10, I now have Volumes 1-12, everything that ADV manga released
Daytime Shooting Star Vol. 1
Komi Can't Communicate Vol. 1
One Week Friends Vol. 1
Ran and the Gray World Vol. 1

Awesome that you've started this thread and I like shoujo romances too but I'm just SO IN AWE of your wonderful Pusheen... er, bedsheets? Blanket? Whatever it is it's blimming great! I haven't bought any manga this month cuz I have a considerable backlog to work through rn, but the last manga I bought were:

Silent Mobius Volumes 1-12 (so all of the Viz release of the original series)
Cromartie High School - Volumes 1-10, I now have Volumes 1-12, everything that ADV manga released
Daytime Shooting Star Vol. 1
Komi Can't Communicate Vol. 1
One Week Friends Vol. 1
It's a fleece blanket, I got it from Primark a while ago! And thanks I'm glad you like it :D

Ooh nice haul! I've been trying to pickup Komi for ages but I just can't find volume 1 anywhere and I'm determined to hunt it down in person now. Ran and the Gray World is one I've been considering picking up, what are your thoughts on it?

It's a fleece blanket, I got it from Primark a while ago! And thanks I'm glad you like it :D

Ooh nice haul! I've been trying to pickup Komi for ages but I just can't find volume 1 anywhere and I'm determined to hunt it down in person now. Ran and the Gray World is one I've been considering picking up, what are your thoughts on it?

Ah that's awesome! :) 👍

TBH I'm terrible at actually getting around to reading manga so I have not read either of those volumes yet 😅 😭 This is part of why I stopped buying - cuz I was barely reading any :confused: The only one I actually read of the first volumes I bought was One Week Friends Vol. 1, I liked that but not read any further yet. The last couple of manga I really read any substantial chunk of were Please Save My Earth which I finished earlier this year, and Chibi Vampire which I've read volumes 1-9 of now but I'm making progress at a snail's pace lol I started it years ago! BTW I do want to read some of the ones you got as well I'm just not really sure what to say about them :)

Ah that's awesome! :) 👍

TBH I'm terrible at actually getting around to reading manga so I have not read either of those volumes yet 😅 😭 This is part of why I stopped buying - cuz I was barely reading any :confused: The only one I actually read of the first volumes I bought was One Week Friends Vol. 1, I liked that but not read any further yet. The last couple of manga I really read any substantial chunk of were Please Save My Earth which I finished earlier this year, and Chibi Vampire which I've read volumes 1-9 of now but I'm making progress at a snail's pace lol I started it years ago! BTW I do want to read some of the ones you got as well I'm just not really sure what to say about them :)
Read them at your own pace! I totally understand, I work through anime and games at a snail's pace unless it's something I'm addicted to. Not that I'm not enjoying it, I can be loving it and still move through it slowly, but it's a mixture of lack of spare time and attention span.

For manga, I've gotten into a nice ritual of reading a volume with a cup of relaxing sleep tea before bed. I found that it's helped me to sleep better and improved my mood. Plus it means that I actually get through my manga at a decent pace (usually about half a regular size volume a night, sometimes a full volume) but I still have backlog since I go kinda crazy buying it sometimes!

I wanted to say I am also amazed by the blanket

This month I just got all of Fullmetal Alchemist. As it is recommended by everyone and I did not read or watch it yet. All I know is that one cursed image... 😟

I too am very slow reader and need to tell myself, no we have manga at home! But hopefully next month I will have a variety and I can post

@setokaiba & @RadFemHedonist : I highly recommend Ran and the Gray World - and also Aki Irie's current series Go With the Clouds, North-by-Northwest (ongoing at 5 vols from Vertical). Aki Irie's art style is unique and amazing - and her world-building in Ran is really inventive. The later series is very different but just as readable: quirky, amusing, disturbing. If you like the way she creates manga, you're in for a a wild ride!

I wanted to say I am also amazed by the blanket

This month I just got all of Fullmetal Alchemist. As it is recommended by everyone and I did not read or watch it yet. All I know is that one cursed image... 😟

I too am very slow reader and need to tell myself, no we have manga at home! But hopefully next month I will have a variety and I can post
Hehe thanks I'm glad my blanket is so appreciated. That's an awesome haul! I can rarely seem to justify to myself picking up a whole series at once, even though I spend just as much on random single volumes haha, but that sounds like a lot of fun. Looking forward to see what you post next!
@setokaiba & @RadFemHedonist : I highly recommend Ran and the Gray World - and also Aki Irie's current series Go With the Clouds, North-by-Northwest (ongoing at 5 vols from Vertical). Aki Irie's art style is unique and amazing - and her world-building in Ran is really inventive. The later series is very different but just as readable: quirky, amusing, disturbing. If you like the way she creates manga, you're in for a a wild ride!
Thank you for the recommendation, I've actually been very interested in both of those!

Thankyou for posting your manga haul video in the "What did you BUY today?" thread, I really enjoyed watching it and also, as someone who's thought about trying to do a vlog or something of that sort it showed me a not too complicated but effective and stylish way I could do youtube videos without having to show my face or reveal my voice! So I'm very grateful for that also (now to pick out some boss nail polish 😛) :) I still have a few long older complete shoujo manga series in my collection waiting to be read and a bunch of other complete series so I haven't read much newer shoujo or josei... hopefully one day!

Thankyou for posting your manga haul video in the "What did you BUY today?" thread, I really enjoyed watching it and also, as someone who's thought about trying to do a vlog or something of that sort it showed me a not too complicated but effective and stylish way I could do youtube videos without having to show my face or reveal my voice! So I'm very grateful for that also (now to pick out some boss nail polish 😛) :)
Aw thank you for your kind words, I'm glad you liked it and also that I could help you! This style of video is actually growing pretty popular on YouTube I believe it is called an "aesthetic vlog" (just relaxed music, video and text) so you should find more inspiration if you look for that term. ^^

Edit: Thought I'll add the link here for context, if anyone else would like to see it, however it isn't my monthly haul so it doesn't exactly fit this thread... at the end of the month, I will post all of this and more!

Thankyou I'll keep that in mind :) 👍 Also sorry if I'm slightly derailing the thread - I did give some thought to where the best place might be to post about the video on here before deciding, FWIW XP

Very nice haul, I really wanna read New Game cause I loved the anime! What's it like?
Haven't started it yet.
I've got a ton to get through and at the moment I'm going through short stuff that's finished, some ongoing stuff that I'd already started and longer stuff that's finished. So as a series that's ongoing, but with 11 volumes already it's on the back burner for now, but I know I'll like it because I really liked the anime too.
My immediate plan is volume 1 of Young Ladies Don't Play Fighting Games to see if it's good or not, finish the Éclair series, a few more vol 1s of series I got that had no anime (again to see if I want to continue buying them or not) and then I think I'm going to read The Quintessential Quintuplets because it's finished, but the film seems a way off yet, even in Japan, and I want to know who wins!
Some where in there will be Yotsuba&! vol 15 (actually I thought that was out, checks email, Wordery says it got moved to.... today! Hmm, no dispatch email yet!)

I've been excited to join in with this since the thread first appeared, a great idea @setokaiba! :)

This is what I picked up this month, an unusually busy month since I used some extra cash for a Japanese order I've been wanting to make for a while. First up my digital purchases for the month~ The Japanese one is Volume 1 of Taishou Renai Katsudou.
IMG_0398.JPG

Then my Japanese order which is made up of Bootsleg vol 1-2, Mermaid Prince, Hitman vol 1-13 (the complete set), Eromanga Sensei vol 4-12 (so everything through to the end, I already own vol 1-3 in English but Darkhorse seem to have dropped it after that...
Japanese order pic.jpeg

Then my English print arrivals for the month:
Print purchases September.jpeg

I've been excited to join in with this since the thread first appeared, a great idea @setokaiba! :)

This is what I picked up this month, an unusually busy month since I used some extra cash for a Japanese order I've been wanting to make for a while. First up my digital purchases for the month~ The Japanese one is Volume 1 of Taishou Renai Katsudou.
View attachment 21132

Then my Japanese order which is made up of Bootsleg vol 1-2, Mermaid Prince, Hitman vol 1-13 (the complete set), Eromanga Sensei vol 4-12 (so everything through to the end, I already own vol 1-3 in English but Darkhorse seem to have dropped it after that...
View attachment 21133

View attachment 21134
Yay, so happy to hear that my idea was well liked and that you looked forward to it :D I'm also looking forward to sharing my own! I've had some awesome pickups this month and even some rare finds I'm shocked by myself.

I really like the look of a lot of the stuff that you got, those are some pretty covers. How is Apothecary Diaries? I saw it in a store I visited and looked at it because of the beautiful covers, but the blurb didn't really pull me in so I put it back.

I really like the look of a lot of the stuff that you got, those are some pretty covers. How is Apothecary Diaries? I saw it in a store I visited and looked at it because of the beautiful covers, but the blurb didn't really pull me in so I put it back.

I have a review of Volume 1 on the site if that's at all helpful, but in short, I like it quite a bit. If you like mystery stories then it's worth checking out and although I also read the light novel that the manga is based on, sometimes I find reading the manga more helpful since we have the visuals to help guide us through the dialogue. The main character Maomao is quite eccentric but also very intelligent, which is the kind of thing I personally like so that combined with strong world-building and the mystery element has me hooked. :)

View attachment 21132

View attachment 21133

View attachment 21134
Just wanted to comment, I took a closer look at your digital haul and looked up some of the titles! It's a shame that some digital titles never make it to physical print, because some of those sound really good. I like the sound of "Turns Out My Online Friend is my Real-Life Boss" especially.

Just wanted to comment, I took a closer look at your digital haul and looked up some of the titles! It's a shame that some digital titles never make it to physical print, because some of those sound really good. I like the sound of "Turns Out My Online Friend is my Real-Life Boss" especially.

It’s a huge shame when some of these titles are left digital only and unfortunately Kodansha as a publisher are particularly bad for it, especially for shoujo. The BL titles rarely get licensed in general from them, but I’m hopeful the fact Turns Out My Online (etc) is only a single volume will mean it does get a chance in print. It was great fun so it really does deserve it!

My September haul! Yes, I already posted it, but I deleted it since I wasn't happy with what I wrote since I had to write it in a rush and wanted to redo it.
So, here is everything that I got:
uNMKwxj.jpg

So I'll name the titles from left to right, with some notes where applicable :D And yes, that's 50+ volumes, I'm pretty deep into the hobby again at this point and I'm loving it.

• Skip and Loafer 1 - Absolutely loved this, total impulse pickup when I saw it in a small store I visit that has a few manga. I thought the cover was so soft and cute looking but the blurb didn't really describe it at all so I took a gamble. Very glad that I did :D It was a really nice slice of life with hints of a potential romance.
  • Midnight Secretary 4 - Obsessed with this, probably in my top 3 romance already, I need more!
  • One-Pound Gospel 2
  • A Man & His Cat 2
  • Play It Cool, Guys 2
  • Starcrossed 1 & 2 - Another one of my current favourite romances, definitely one of my favourites among the currently publishing ones.
  • She and Her Cat
  • Ran and the Grey World 1
  • The Way of the House Husband 2
  • Ten Count 1 & 2
  • Komi Can't Communicate 2
  • Blood On The Tracks 1
  • Boys Over Flowers 1-3 - Actually can't believe that I own these! I stumbled upon a very lucky secondhand find, getting all 3 for £15. I'm very grateful because this is one of my most wanted shoujo, one of the few long series I'd actually be happy to collect, but the volumes are very out of print/hard to find and usually cost £40+ each.
  • I Am Here 2
  • Honey Hunt 1-6 - Absolutely loved this, I couldn't stop reading it. Technically it's unfinished but I'm satisfied with the story anyway and definitely will enjoy to re-read. Lots of drama and makes you feel invested in the characters.
  • Prince of Tennis 8-10
  • Water Dragon's Bride 1
  • Stepping on Roses 1-5 - Another romance that I really loved! Romances are my very favourite type of story, if you can't tell yet hehe.
  • Takane & Hana 7, 9 , 10 - Slowly adding to my Takane & Hana collection, one of my all time favourite romance manga and infact manga in general. Can't wait to complete it! I adore the characters and the story so much.
  • Chobits 4 & 5
  • What a Wonderful World 2
  • Witch's Printing Office 1
  • Happy Marriage 2-4
  • Toradora 1-6
  • Rose of Versailles 3 & 4
Having a haul this big makes me feel a little bit crazy... but mostly happy! I feel that manga has really improved my quality of life, since I relax with it every night.

Last edited:
Back