I'd pretty much agree. The PS4 is a good console and if you're picking one up then you might as well get the best version of it if it doesn't feel like much extra. That the best version of it could be better doesn't take anything away from the core console. Later releases of consoles often have additional advantages that make them more reliable as well (although maybe that wouldn't be the same for something that's a bit different).

I suppose it's possible that Sony and Microsoft are both looking at more frequent incremental upgrades as their strategy, in which case it's also possible that Sony could intend to release another version with more extras in the next few years. Still, if you want the console and don't currently have one then I'm not sure it'd be worth waiting that long anyway.

It could also be possible that Sony will add the 4K Blu-ray support after all, especially if the numbers don't look as strong for the Pro. There might be an advantage to holding off on pre-orders for a while.

I don't think I'd upgrade since I probably wouldn't get too much out of the new features, 4K support doesn't really make a big difference to me at the moment in general. Still, I suppose that could change in the next couple of years (especially as the price goes down).

I mean if you had planned on getting a PS4 anyway then I see no reason why you wouldn't go for the Pro as long as you can afford it. I know some people mention that gameplay comes first (and I agree) but if you are getting the same gameplay regardless, why wouldn't you want it to look or run better? And besides, I would argue a higher or a more stable framerate also improves gameplay anyway, imagine how much more awesome Bloodborne would have been had it not ran like crap?

For me, if someone is a first time ps4 buyer it makes complete sense to go Pro, it's if it's worth upgrading that's the actual question for me and I'm thinking no just now, although I'll probably still do it because I'm an idiot.

From what I've read it looks like more stable framerates will be what the Pro does. That said, games that play online will have to run on the same frame rate as the regular PS4 version. That could be kind of awkward, since even a small dip in frames can be very noticeable. So my guess is playing stuff like Bloodborne on the Pro could see no real difference (or it could be worse, since the difference between offline and online will be even greater).

But yeah, if you're a first time buyer and have a 4K TV, then go for it.

I could do with some validation though, do you think I made the right choice? I wasn't going to buy an Xbox One either way but the lack of a UHD drive in the Pro is really disappointing/baffling honestly.

Honestly, with Sony announcing the Pro early, it gives Microsoft the advantage with their upgraded Xbox One. Most reports suggest that it will have 4k BD support and now it'll probably have better specs than the Pro. Add to that the fact that Microsoft are embracing backwards compatibility, and I'd say it is the better console. Obviously, if you have friends with a specific console you should buy that one.

Being anime fans, we'd probably go for the PS4, too.

Japanese trailer for their Q4 line-up starts, showcasing the new PS4 slim and its price point.

Final Fantasy XV, Persona 5, The Last Guardian, Gravity Daze 2 (Gravity Rush 2), Battlefield 1, Ryu ga Gotoku 6 (Yakuza 6), Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare, LEGO Star Wars: Force Within, Nioh, Dragonball Xenoverse 2, World of Final Fantasy and many more.

34980 Yen for 1TB PS4 Slim on September 15th.
44980 Yen for 1TB PS4 Pro on November 10th.
Persona 5 Starter Pack - 39980 Yen with the PS4 Slim pack.

Final Fantasy XV trailer - showcases Japanese release date

Final Fantasy XV collaboration model for the PS4 Slim.

NEW Info (for Japan) - Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare 4.11.16 [PS4](edited)

NEW Info (for Japan) - Watch Dogs 2 1.12.16 [PS4](edited)

Stream froze, people watching are panicking

While the stream froze a trailer for Horizon showed off.

NEW Info - New Generation Gundam Vs. ~ Gundam Versus [PS4]

NEW Info - Kingdom Hearts 2.8 Final Chapter Prologue 12.1.2017 [PS4]

NEW Info - NieR Automata 23.2.2017 [PS4]

NEW Info - New Danganronpa V3 Jan 2017 [PS4|Vita]

NEW Info - New Hot Shots Golf (Everybody's Golf) - Summer 2017 [PS4]

NEW Info - EDF EDF EDF EDF EDF EDF EDF EDF EDF EDF Earth Defense Force 5 - 2017 [PS4]

NEW Info - Dragon Quest/Final Fantasy Fortune Street - 2017 [PS4|Vita]

NEW Info - Nioh 9th February 2017 [PS4]

NEW Info - Koei Tecmo Musou (All Stars Musou) feat. Ninja Gaiden, Toukiden, Atelier, Warriors - 2017 [PS4|Vita] LOL

Last edited:
PlayStation VR trailer

NEW Info - Summer Lesson/Hikari Seven Days Room (that game which will never see a Western release, plus she calls you sensei) 13.10.2016 [PS4]

NEW Info - V! What Did I Do to Deserve This, My Lord? R [PS4]

Last edited:
Another VR trailer NEW Info - Joysound VR

NEW Info - Anywhere VR....

PlayStation VR September 24th?

PSN apps: DAZN coming soon. Japanese sports app

PlayStation Now talk for PC

NEW Info - Granblue Fantasy Project Re:LINK (cygames/Platinum Games game) [PS4] - 2018 and includes VR gameplay

Oh man that was a really poor conference tbh, I just wasted over an hour watching that crap >_> oh well.

I agree that it wasn't as strong as last year but at least we now have release dates for a ton of good Japanese titles incoming.

VR is the blame for this year.

---

Overall (pretty much):

New Games:
  • Earth Defense Force V [PS4] - 2017
  • Fortune Street with Dragon Quest and Final Fantasy [PS4 | Vita] - 2017
  • Gundam Versus [PS4] - 2017
  • Musou All Stars [PS4 | Vita] - 2017
Games with Release Dates:
  • Kingdom Hearts 2.8 Final Chapter Prologue [PS4] - 12th January 2017
  • New Danganronpa V3 [PS4 | Vita] - January 2017
  • New Hot Shots Golf/Everybody's Golf [PS4] - Summer 2017