Ping Pong simulwatch [RS] (3rd November start)

That was random! I think I actually quite like peanut sometimes, like with M&M's. Most of the chocolate I have is regular stuff (actually bit of a fan of dark chocolate too).

I'll keep an eye out for them 👀

Oh yeah, they're so good lol his love of sweets and snacks kinda figures a bit into the story later on, too. The conviction and seriousness kill me every time!

"It's just to kill time. Ping pong & English vocab are both just ways to kill time until I die".

Smile and his lackadaisical indifference are legendary. @João Gomes you've literally said everything I was thinking of with this episode already heh. Another fantastic bit of writing and animation and amongst a fair few great characters, Smile is easily my favourite (he had me at last episode's "smiling, getting angry -- that stuff just makes me tired") and the focus on him, and the hilariously & indomitably spirited Sensei (Koizumi is totally a duuuude as well! Naaaansensse!!), really make this episode. I didn't realise Ushio was behind the soundtrack and that explains the quality. I'm loving this so far and now hoping that Funimation do a nice CE for it, seeing as they seem to be on a roll with some great ones coming up.

I can't get enough of the artery-clogging Reese's cups myself!

"Demo ritaan shitamon ne shitamon ne shitamon ne ?" how good is the voice actor, seriously? That and the barking, he really knows how to get under Tsukimoto's skin. Their relationship is so good, man.

Oh yeah, Ushio. I went from this to Devilman Crybaby in terms of Yuasa's works and Tsukimoto's voice actor is the one who voices Akira. I was in heaven, until I wasn't, thanks to the final episodes.

OT but is that series in "Netflix jail" as they call it? I'd love to own it, but the JP set is stupid expensive... Yes, I've thought about it (the ping pong blu ray box as well, it's beautiful).

Episode 2
"The hero isn't coming, Smile" "unleash your power"

Lots of character development for Smile with him being called out for being too easy on Peco and the coach eventually making him snap out of his funk.

In the flashback was that Peco coming to the rescue or the bully coming back for more? He seemed to have a mohawk, but I don't think Peco had one in the other flashback.

Lots of funny moments as well with the wrong glasses wearer turning up and the random Kite stealing a lunch in the background.

Episode 3
Predectural qualifiers.
Doesn't seem too much to comment on in this episode, apart from Smile seems to understand Chinese or at least got the gist of what the coach was saying and he fell back into the habit of feeling sorry for his opponent. Unlike he did with his first round opponent! I liked the progressively worse attitude of his opponent with him "playing like he's on the beach", a term levelled at players in football especially towards the end of the season, and the animation representing it literally. And then at the end he was literally at the beach 😆

Funimation do a nice CE
There was one from AL. I'm guessing it's OOP and OOS as both AL and MVM shop don't even give you a result when you search for it.
Here's the Amazon search, again OOS:
Ping Pong [Dual Format] Ping Pong - Collector's Edition [Dual Format] [Blu-ray]: Amazon.co.uk: Masayuki Yuasaa: DVD & Blu-ray

@D1tchd1gger the mohawk of sorts is from the hero character that saves him, yeah

"Too many snacks are losing sight of themselves!"

Say it like it is, Peco!

Another sweet honest exchange between Smile and Mrs. Koizumi. It was cute seeing him blush at her suggestion to come back and visit them! Again, the writing feels natural and to the point. Not the kind of stuff we usually get in anime.

Akuma is introduced and now all the main players are present. His introduction scene is quick, gives us quite a bit of info both about him, about the main pair and also Kazama when the scene shifts to Akuma talking to their trainer. Excellent.

Before we know it, we're in official competitions, where things feel a bit more serious, with more consequence. Kazama succeeding in riling Smile up was a highlight, as was his match against Wenge. It shows us who he really is: despite his social shortcomings, and having been subjected to bullying as a kid (and a bit more that we'll get to later in the series), he still manages to show compassion and empathy, understanding the gist of what Wenge's trainer was saying (well, with that tone, who wouldn't).

Including Koizumi in the shot to comunicate he knew then and there that Smile would lose on purpose was a neat detail and a great example of the storytelling in the series: a lot is shown, not said and it allows us to paint an ever growing picture of the entire situation surrounding these characters in our minds, until we fill it completely, eventually. It's very gratifying.

We also got our first look at Piiko (?, I'm guessing that's his name, according to the credits?), a recurring side character that has his own thing going on throughout the series.

Just noticed that they actually had technical supervision from the Japanese Table Tennis Association for the series, very cool!

Again, I swear I felt like this didn't even last 10 minutes.

Edit: OMG WE GOT TO PAGE 2 ON A PING PONG SIMULWATCH YASS

Last edited:
Episode 3

Alright so our boy smile does have a heart going to check on the old guy, wonder what sensei was doing to cause the injuries? Must be too much sleeping on the gym floor!

I enjoyed how they used the sound of the ping pong balls to add to the music, just another example of doing stuff because it's cool to do that we see used quite a lot throughout the episodes :)

The rivalry between all of the players in the competition is awesome to see, again with the music you really get into the spirit of the matches too. I had to laugh at how Kaiou players are all bald, like it's a condition to shave your head to join the club.

I haven't checked it yet, but the voice actor who played the afro dude who got beaten so bad that he had to go to the beach sounded a lot like the same guy who voiced the MC in ID: Invaded. I can't always tell them apart but he has quite a distinctive voice (if it's the same guy).

Is Peco for real, stew flavoured popsicles? Is that a thing or is that just in the show for ludicrousness?

Was she just persuading him to play by tricking him into doing it for her own amusement? 😅

I did wonder about the game against Wenge, he was looking like the likely winner but instead decided to throw the game here if what you're saying is true. I thought perhaps his concentration had been broken as he was humming that song to himself then he stopped after the manager shouted about how he had to win, but I think your explanation sounds more plausible than my original thinking.

I have a feeling this won't be the last show down we have between Smile and Wenge, and next time I think Smile won't go so easily on him.

Just noticed that they actually had technical supervision from the Japanese Table Tennis Association for the series, very cool!

I'm liking the attention to detail, no one has shown superhuman moves so far. Reality is that really good players are generally very quick to react and fast enough to shift positions quickly even in real life, so they don't need to buff up the players and give them silly abilities.

Edit: OMG WE GOT TO PAGE 2 ON A PING PONG SIMULWATCH YASS

High-five! 😎

Episode 3

Alright so our boy smile does have a heart going to check on the old guy, wonder what sensei was doing to cause the injuries? Must be too much sleeping on the gym floor!

I enjoyed how they used the sound of the ping pong balls to add to the music, just another example of doing stuff because it's cool to do that we see used quite a lot throughout the episodes :)
The music definitely elevates the series. It's incredible by itself but the way it's used is also of note. It's very, very good.

The rivalry between all of the players in the competition is awesome to see, again with the music you really get into the spirit of the matches too. I had to laugh at how Kaiou players are all bald, like it's a condition to shave your head to join the club.
Oh yeah, Kaiou ain't in it for the fun, you can tell that almost immediately. OSU!

I haven't checked it yet, but the voice actor who played the afro dude who got beaten so bad that he had to go to the beach sounded a lot like the same guy who voiced the MC in ID: Invaded. I can't always tell them apart but he has quite a distinctive voice (if it's the same guy).
You're right, it sounds like the same voice actor! That's the side character I was talking about, it's cool seeing where he's at throughout the series.

Is Peco for real, stew flavoured popsicles? Is that a thing or is that just in the show for ludicrousness?
I don't know but it wouldn't surprise me, lol

I did wonder about the game against Wenge, he was looking like the likely winner but instead decided to throw the game here if what you're saying is true. I thought perhaps his concentration had been broken as he was humming that song to himself then he stopped after the manager shouted about how he had to win, but I think your explanation sounds more plausible than my original thinking.
That's the beauty of Smile: a guy who has insane innate talent for the sport but who at the end of the day will go easy on his opponents because he knows losing means more to them than winning does to him. It's a great part of his arc.

He would've wiped the floor with Wenge, he just took his time inputting all that data about the way he plays and reacts to shots, etc. (which was beautifully depicted, btw)

I have a feeling this won't be the last show down we have between Smile and Wenge, and next time I think Smile won't go so easily on him.
Let's just say there's still lots of great matches to come 🤤

I'm liking the attention to detail, no one has shown superhuman moves so far. Reality is that really good players are generally very quick to react and fast enough to shift positions quickly even in real life, so they don't need to buff up the players and give them silly abilities.
Yeah, even not understanding anything about the sport, you can tell they cared about the technical side of it with all the lingo and characters appreciating the equipement used. It does ground the series even further, it's very cool.

There are visual flourishes and metaphors and will be still (more over the top, even) but yeah, they're used to make us understand what it feels like watching these guys play/playing against them as opposed to something that's actually happening. Kazama's style is especially great.

High-five! 😎
🖐️

@Neil.T you watching the series or just reading?

I went from this to Devilman Crybaby in terms of Yuasa's works and Tsukimoto's voice actor is the one who voices Akira. I was in heaven, until I wasn't, thanks to the final episodes.
I was thinking his VA sounded very familiar. I can imagine Crybaby being supremely jarring to watch after this. It is definitely on the Eva scales of mental anguish and I love it (I'm not an emotional masochist, no sir, not at all... Wait I've said that before already haven't I...). I too wonder about a Western release and hope it comes our way eventually, it's too good not to have in the library in a nice CE.
In the flashback was that Peco coming to the rescue or the bully coming back for more?
I was thinking it was Peco as well initially, and then wondered if it was a parental or father figure, eventually settling for it being his own subconscious as a coping mechanism leading to his conscious self, in the form of the robot, pulling himself out in episode 2.
There was one from AL. I'm guessing it's OOP and OOS as both AL and MVM shop don't even give you a result when you search for it.
Here's the Amazon search, again OOS:
Ping Pong [Dual Format] Ping Pong - Collector's Edition [Dual Format] [Blu-ray]: Amazon.co.uk: Masayuki Yuasaa: DVD & Blu-ray
Awesome sauce, thanks for the top tip. Managed to find one remaining copy on CEX just now (and randomly also fell for the suggestion to get a CE to replace my SE of Tatami galaxy... I'm going to regret this Saturday morning shopping spree later I'm sure...).

Another strong episode the third one was, lots of nice TT animation, more insights into Smile's psychology with everyone around him but perhaps himself being aware of his hold ups, which he aptly demonstrated by letting Wenge through after inferring the latter's coach's rant. He remains a very interesting character, retaining his sympathy despite suffering whatever indignities he has. Very often the sad truth of human nature is the oppressed turning into oppressors themselves.
Unlike he did with his first round opponent! I liked the progressively worse attitude of his opponent with him "playing like he's on the beach", a term levelled at players in football especially towards the end of the season, and the animation representing it literally. And then at the end he was literally at the beach 😆
We also got our first look at Piiko (?, I'm guessing that's his name, according to the credits?), a recurring side character that has his own thing going on throughout the series.
This dude was my highlight for this episode, I loved the focus on someone at the end of the road who's persevered but learnt that he just doesn't have the talent to progress further. That's certainly the case that there are more without talent than with, and scarily even the talented feel otherwise on progressing to find those even better than them at higher echelons (as was nicely touched on in the first episode). I loved this guy's monotonous & unaffected delivery, remaining consistent in tone going from, "yeah I'll walk all over this first year haha" to "oh well I guess I've had my day and will just go to the beach instead". Very glad to hear he will be recurring and will be good to see him reflect the journey of those who don't make it in the sport alongside those that do.

I haven't seen Id:Invaded but, yeah, I recognised his voice in Ping Pong episode 3 instantly. It's Kenjirō Tsuda:

I've always enjoyed his voice performance in whatever I've seen him in. He's good.

"I'll take you down, candy addict!"

Oh yeah, Akuma enjoyed that one. We get even more context and "texture" for our main characters and I loved the look of, dare I say, sadness in Akuma's eyes, in one of the close-ups. This is a bit more than "I'm jealous you're better than me", but we'll get there. This was the match I was referring to when I posted the clip earlier.

Wenge got a taste of the best Japan has to offer and you could feel how overwhelming it was. Kazama is nothing short of a beast; a mix of talent, training and discipline. We also got a very brief look at the imagery that defines him and his struggles. In fact, this episode was rich in that regard: the falcon, the plane, the chrysalis...

Speaking of chrysalis, we get a moment between the OGs with a bit of banter between Koizumi and Tamura. I love that the older generation influences the newer one and Koizumi's desire to take Smile to the top.

We also take a better look at Wenge's background and the talk he had with this trainer was very sweet. I like Wenge a lot, and he has a great arc.

Another detail that I never took note of is Sanada is the first one that notices Yurie's arrival, that's pretty cool.

C'mon Peco, you'll be fine ⭐

Episode 4

Got a new avatar fitting the simulwatch! ⭐

Wenge knows Smile let him win, and despite his initial assessment that he would have no challenge, not only is this not true, but he also loses in the tournament game against the literal titan Kazama. I'm sure at one point Kazama was becoming the beast titan from AoT 🤣

Peco vs Demon was a fun watch, and as someone who has played the game a fair bit, I can confirm that an opponent who can just return everything you throw at them like that is a nightmare. Technically speaking high ball returns that bounce up to give a slamming opportunity should be a positive for the person who can smash the ball, but as shown here (and in that amazing video posted earlier), even having that perceived advantage does not always mean you win.

It's a common misconception that Table Tennis isn't that energetic, but at the highest levels it's really quite an active sport indeed with a fair bit of running around.

We are introduced to @João Gomes profile pic in this episode.

Baldies won all the top spots in the tournament I make it?

There is a lot of interesting chat in this show generally about how people handle and prioritise winning/losing. In this kind of game though innate talent really makes up a lot of the skill level of the players. Training can only go so far. Sometimes you can just have opponents you can never defeat.

That school training regime looked pretty awesome, I kind of wanted to go myself :D

For Peco, where winning is all that matters, all he can do is cry. 😭

Last edited:
This dude was my highlight for this episode, I loved the focus on someone at the end of the road who's persevered but learnt that he just doesn't have the talent to progress further. That's certainly the case that there are more without talent than with, and scarily even the talented feel otherwise on progressing to find those even better than them at higher echelons (as was nicely touched on in the first episode). I loved this guy's monotonous & unaffected delivery, remaining consistent in tone going from, "yeah I'll walk all over this first year haha" to "oh well I guess I've had my day and will just go to the beach instead". Very glad to hear he will be recurring and will be good to see him reflect the journey of those who don't make it in the sport alongside those that do.

I honestly wish more anime would have this kind of focus, rather than making the assumption that you ain't nothin' if you ain't number one (I know I'm oversimplifying a tad but like, this obsession with winning is a bit er... mentally perverse and unhealthy yeah there I said it.) Also the OST for this series is amazing I hope I can get the CD one day :)

Episode 4
Boss battle.
Peco gets put in his place as does China, although I probably feel more sorry for China than Peco.
The game between Kazama and China is described as a boss battle and has some epic animation and music to go with that description.
Kazama trying to sell his school to Smile was funny. We've got this and this and this, and Smile's like sure whatever. And then the Kaio coach gets pissed when his students intimate his daughter is in relationship with Kazama and gives them laps 😆

Episode 5
End of the road.
Kazama is still trying to recruit Smile, but his tactics are a bit desperate and pisses off his teammates including Sakuma.
Seems Peco's given up on playing Ping Pong and after what he did Sakuma days are numbered.
Smile is more machine now than man and China decides to stay in Japan even though he's homesick.
Dude can't catch a break even at the beach, to the mountains next!

Also the OST for this series is amazing
It's on Spotify, along with his work on A Silent Voice, Devilman Crybaby and the latest Heike Story (talk about an eclectic set of anime)

Episode 5

So Wenge is off, I really hope Smile gets at least another match with him before the show is done.

Kazama was kind of off saying that he wanted Smile instead of anyone in his own school because they sucked, that's how you rub people up the wrong way. I still enjoy how they are all bald. Maybe Smile doesn't want to join the team because he wants to keep his hair.

Peco has let himself go since he quit playing, and Egami is off to the next destination, the mountains. It's not Piiko by the way I checked, we were all wrong, Piiko is the girl who persuaded the guy to play previously.

Demon was no match for Smile, and Peco was no match for Demon, so the skill gap between Peco and Smile must really be huge. Demon really disgraced himself by losing and throwing a tantrum to boot. That is a real bad loser, Smile just tells it like it is: "no skill" 🤣

General note #1: I've enjoyed how each episode has given us at least one serious game so far, at least I think they have.

General note #2:
One of my least favourite things playing table tennis is having to collect the balls from wherever they wind up. I remember thinking that kind of sucked even on professional matches that seems to be the case? Tennis gets ball girls/boys. Table Tennis doesn't get the same attention.

"Put on some weight, Peco?"

This was Akuma's show, even in defeat. That's hardly what matters in this series, anyway. It's all about knowing and learning about yourself. And he started to maybe know himself and his limits a bit better. A first step, I guess.

Loved loved loved the shinsengumi visuals and analogy, with Kazama standing in as Kondo and Sanada as Hijikata. Unfortunately, hard work, discipline and determination can't make up for a lack of talent and Akuma's astigmatism certainly doesn't help. The flashback of him with his dad is so sad, it must've been hard on him as a kid. Akuma's a good dude.

Back at Kaio we see two different mindsets at work, Sanada and the trainer being team first, and enjoying the team members as people first and foremost and Kazama who is focused entirely on performance and results, with little regard for anything else. If victory already made him isolated at the top, he doesn't make an effort to make things any different.

And finally, the bit with Wenge opening the box of sweets his mom sent was a beautiful moment that always gets me a bit emotional. The thing he focused on and the memories it brought back, and how he misses his mother was depicted in such a beautiful way, so understated. I guess it resonates with me so strongly because I miss my parents so much every day, living so far away from them.

Episode 4 demonstrating pride before a fall with both Peco and Wenge, who normally make it a point to affirm their greatness, being shown the door by the Demon & the Dragon. It's amazing how much love has gone into crafting these characters with all being very easy to empathise with. You can completely understand Sakuma's frustration with Peco, with all the effort he puts in just being a big joke to one with the talent to easily skim by. Wenge under all his bravado just being a village boy that loves his mum and who'd done good until his downfall. I loved the old timer's chat around Smile's insight and confidence into his own talent to the extent that he felt no need to prove anything to anybody - if there is any lesson one must learn to be content, it's to be comfortable in one's own skin whatever that may be, and Smile does it with emotionless panache! Everyone wants him to have the drive to win, but I want him to stay himself if that gives him contentment, or to fight on if that will, but certainly not take the road that will lead to sorrow. Then again, is not taking on a challenge not a matter of contentment but more the fear of failure, as Sakuma put it beautifully that the only way not to lose is to not fight.

Episode 5 shows that the sea does not agree with our Afro senior and he journeys onwards, next to the mountains. I did not bloody recognise Peco at all except being muddled but his trademark star on the cap and then the sweets talk! Smile seems to have gotten serious, and seemed pretty arrogant in his demolition of Sakuma and even his teammates being relegated to ball boys. I hope he doesn't let it get to his head. Sakuma's backstory (so is astigmatism in anime always depicted as vertical eyes??) & the brief bit with Wenge, both depicted lovingly. The Dragon in his quest for his school's glory is willing to forget the human element in his compatriots that fortunately his coach does not.

The music remains stellar and the opening grows on me with each episode and reminds me of the energy of The Pillows with their FLCL soundtracks.

We also got a very brief look at the imagery that defines him and his struggles. In fact, this episode was rich in that regard: the falcon, the plane, the chrysalis...
All that is done brilliantly along with Sakuma's samurai off to the final showdown walk - awesome.
We also take a better look at Wenge's background and the talk he had with this trainer was very sweet.
There was one bit where Wenge retorted he is indeed finished...in table tennis, where his coach affectionately responded that he meant that his whole life is ahead of him - I would read that very much as oh okay so you agree I'm finished in this sport then, thanks a lot you @£&##$€!! but I'm glad that Wenge had the maturity to not react that way!
I'm sure at one point Kazama was becoming the beast titan from AoT 🤣
Heheh they should've used that imagery, not something as clichéd as a dragon!!
We are introduced to @João Gomes profile pic in this episode.
I think there was also a flash of it in episode 2
Baldies won all the top spots in the tournament I make it?
Their dorm is surely a Buddhist monastery
There is a lot of interesting chat in this show generally about how people handle and prioritise winning/losing. In this kind of game though innate talent really makes up a lot of the skill level of the players. Training can only go so far. Sometimes you can just have opponents you can never defeat.
I think so far this is one of the show's greatest strengths and that psychology can easily be related to any aspect of life.
I honestly wish more anime would have this kind of focus, rather than making the assumption that you ain't nothin' if you ain't number one (I know I'm oversimplifying a tad but like, this obsession with winning is a bit er... mentally perverse and unhealthy yeah there I said it.) Also the OST for this series is amazing I hope I can get the CD one day :)
I concur and again the psychology points raised as mentioned are fascinating. Being content like Smile is what we all need, but then it's also noble to strive to achieve one's potential and do the best possible, without degrading to negative aspects and grinding oneself to dust trying to achieve the impossible. I guess for those who have the talent to be number one like Kazama & Smile, there is nothing wrong with pushing themselves, though that certainly would be perverse to foist on to those naturally limited and not able to do so, as Sakuma's story this far demonstrates. I do like it when anime, such as some slice of life ones, show fulfilling normal lives being led without the need to be number one or isekaing into an impossible harem to go beat the evilcorp/society demonlord to a pulp.
It's on Spotify, along with his work on A Silent Voice, Devilman Crybaby and the latest Heike Story (talk about an eclectic set of anime)
I'm finding that Spotify is certainly a fantastic resource for a lot of anime soundtracks and music in general.
I still enjoy how they are all bald. Maybe Smile doesn't want to join the team because he wants to keep his hair.
Heheh yeah he wasn't fooled by the tour Kazama gave, conveniently skipping the cupboard where the elite barber shears live.

because I miss my parents so much every day, living so far away from them.

I live near mine and don't see them much at all lately!

Everyone wants him to have the drive to win, but I want him to stay himself if that gives him contentment, or to fight on if that will, but certainly not take the road that will lead to sorrow

To me at least, not playing your best or letting an opponent win can also be viewed as disrespectful. Unless your opponent is a child where you can pretend to be bad and lose on purpose, or they are a beginner who you are just showing the ropes, I would expect any opponent I play to do their best to defeat me, if they go easy on me I don't like it personally.

I like a good challenge and you only get better at something by playing people that are better than you. Losing a lot can be demoralising as well, but winning because someone lets you win is worse to me.

The music remains stellar and the opening grows on me with each episode and reminds me of the energy of The Pillows with their FLCL soundtracks.

Oh yeah, that high energy opening gets you right in the mood for the emotional beatdowns coming in later, like Wenge crying in his car after leaving his mom behind, Sakuma having to admit to his limitations in front of everyone and we're not done yet 🌈

I'm just kidding, the OP is beautiful ⭐

All that is done brilliantly along with Sakuma's samurai off to the final showdown walk - awesome.
Yaaaaasss

There was one bit where Wenge retorted he is indeed finished...in table tennis, where his coach affectionately responded that he meant that his whole life is ahead of him - I would read that very much as oh okay so you agree I'm finished in this sport then, thanks a lot you @£&##$€!! but I'm glad that Wenge had the maturity to not react that way!

lol, I get how you could read it that way, I probably would too! But it's something sweet to say to someone who sees ping pong as the end all be all - there's life and happiness and fulfillment beyond this sport where you were defeated; take a step back and look at the bigger picture; this is actually a changing point for Wenge, and a great one. Just thinking about where these characters go.... I love this damn thing.

I think so far this is one of the show's greatest strengths and that psychology can easily be related to any aspect of life.

And it's doubly interesting because they're all still in their formative years, so you know these experiences will go even further in shaping who they will end up being.

It's kinda hard to remember they're just kids, they all seem like badasses from Cromartie High School or something uhuh Kazama specifically looks like he's well into his 40s, but then there's also a reason for that depiction.

I concur and again the psychology points raised as mentioned are fascinating. Being content like Smile is what we all need, but then it's also noble to strive to achieve one's potential and do the best possible, without degrading to negative aspects and grinding oneself to dust trying to achieve the impossible. I guess for those who have the talent to be number one like Kazama & Smile, there is nothing wrong with pushing themselves, though that certainly would be perverse to foist on to those naturally limited and not able to do so, as Sakuma's story this far demonstrates. I do like it when anime, such as some slice of life ones, show fulfilling normal lives being led without the need to be number one or isekaing into an impossible harem to go beat the evilcorp/society demonlord to a pulp.

Being number one is definitely not the message of the show and part of it's infinite charm. And it goes deep (arguably) into the effects of such a mindset and the pressure associated with it.

I'll refrain from showering further praise 🤷‍♂️

I live near mine and don't see them much at all lately!

I don't mean to be preachy or intrude on your personal life, but if you have a good relationship with them and there's something you can do about it, try to spend as much time as you can with them!

I'm terrified of something happening to my parents when I'm so far away and I know the fact I wasn't able to spend more time with them will weigh heavy on me when the time comes.

To me at least, not playing your best or letting an opponent win can also be viewed as disrespectful. Unless your opponent is a child where you can pretend to be bad and lose on purpose, or they are a beginner who you are just showing the ropes, I would expect any opponent I play to do their best to defeat me, if they go easy on me I don't like it personally.

I like a good challenge and you only get better at something by playing people that are better than you. Losing a lot can be demoralising as well, but winning because someone lets you win is worse to me.

I agree with this and only by taking the person in front of you seriously do you show them the respect they deserve in an even competition.

However, and that's what's cool about Smile, you know it's not out of malice or because he sees himself as superior (even if he's a bit of prick lately, lol); it's truly out of empathy and maybe it's misguided, but I can't help but love that side of his character, when it's in good will.

Maybe it would've been better to cut Wenge then and there, and it did mess with his psychological state because he understood Smile let him win, but he was trying to help.

I don't mean to be preachy or intrude on your personal life, but if you have a good relationship with them and there's something you can do about it, try to spend as much time as you can with them!

Oh yeah, don't get me wrong not like I never see them or anything, this pesky pandemic isn't helping matters though!

Onwards to Episode 6 later today, these are going by so quickly.

Double posting because I'm criminal scum I'll pierce you m8 🗡

"Aishiteruze.", or is it "Not all birds can fly", or rather "Heroes don't exist"? I don't know, so many great bits of writing.

Yeeeeesss, christmas episode, easily one of the best in the whole series. So much going on for everyone! Kong finding true companionship with his team and having his mother there with him is so heartwarming after what we've seen of his life.

Meanwhile, we get a better look at Smile's personal life, or lack thereof. Probably doesn't help his social awkwardness. The shot of him sitting alone in the dark says it all, really. Not a word uttered.

Peco is seen picking a fight with a boat but everything seems to end fine between them. Akuma's pep talk was genuinely poignant and I loved that there's a bit of in-universe self ridicule when that group of guys passes by making fun of dat trademark teenage melodrama™. Peco's deep dive reminds him he's got people who believe in him and are waiting for him; his character's turning point. Akuma shows his true colors as a great friend.

Ota going the extra mile in trying to better understand Tsukimoto is another great moment of parallel narrative that's, again, shown rather than said.

So many little bits of story presented, with Yurie, Sanada, Ota, Egami (thanks, @Lordhippos)...

So much happens in 20 minutes, it's really crazy. Yuasa did outstanding series composition on this and you feel like these characters are growing before your eyes with not a second of boring or inconsequential writing. It's insane. A huge achievement in anime storytelling.

The way the show expertly switches from an exciting match, to past trauma, to comedy, saying a lot but also showing a lot is very impressive to me.

Edit: @Lordhippos saved me from a life of crime, I'll still pierce u tho m8 🗡

Last edited:
Back