Personal opinions on distributors excised from the Bargains thread (temporary title)

I was surprised how many people on here bought the Blue Exorcist Madman sets when the Manga ones were either the same price or less than them once you take shipping and the potential customs fees into consideration.

If your order just contained BE madman with the tax removed due to it being an export the copies are $4.08.

This means all 6 comes to $24.48 AUD, which converts to around £14.68 this number is under the amount before your charged VAT.

we need to add the shipping to the price so $9.50 AUD shipping is £5.40 according to a conversion site meaning its around £20 for the items + shipping so for people who care about a box it being roughly the same price as MangaUKs makes it a more appealing set.

I do appreciate the extra niceties of boxed versions etc but I have a set price limit in my mind for series regardless of the extras so I'll only buy a luxury version if I would pay that for the basic set.

As for supporting UK distributors... I don't really buy mangamatsu on release due to quality issues and an unwillingness to fix them. Once I know a release is OK though I will buy it if it's one I want. I may prioritise their releases lower though if it's an expensive month but then I do the same with AL (their movies are always too pricey due to fancy box/fartbook and are the first thing to go on a busy month of purchases).

Finally as for Jerome himself.... he says arrogant and idiotic things but he has managed to stay in the business all this time and when I buy from mangamatsu I'm buying a product I want so it's not like I'm just throwing money at someone I'm not fond of & he's not the only guy there.

Last edited:
By all means don't buy Manga products because you don't trust the quality or have concerns about their past decisions, but not buying their releases to screw with Jerome is stupid and petty and vindictive, and I will call you out on it. If screwing with Jerome didn't impact your decision in any way, and you don't want to be judged as if it did, you probably shouldn't make comments indicating that it did.

As for Jerome, yes he's an idiot, yes he says stupid things a lot, but I'd rather his brutal honesty, than the stage managed ******** we get from other distributors. I understand why people don't like him and why they might not want to support him. But he is not a synonym for Manga, Manga has at least four employees. And based on his comments, it sounds like Jerome isn't even doing the whole anime releasing side of the business much anymore. So you aren't even really boycotting him...

but not buying their releases to screw with Jerome is stupid and petty and vindictive, and I will call you out on it./QUOTE]

I don't go out of my way to ensure I never buy a manga product. Just because I said it was a bonus of getting an item in a sale your attacking me for it. Seriously take a chill pill.

Like, and I'm sure you probably appreciate this Buzz, but having a distro that puts out budget releases is ideal since the majority of the fandom are students or poor (or both). I mean, I suppose you don't need to feel obligated to support him but I dunno, Jermone makes the effort to cater to the fandom rather than expecting it to shell out for frivolous tat and upmarked BDs.

Also, fwiw, I never saw the appeal in chipboards either. Like, it just sits on your shelf, so you probably aren't even looking at it most of the time anyway (especially you weans who spend most of your time online). Like, if you really care about something pretty you can look at and cherish would it not be easier/better to buy a print/wallscroll or even a scale figure?

But we all want booklets now, I mean another distributor said it, so it must be true.

I await their re-release of Evangelion 1.11, I'd die laughing if it was exactly the same as Manga's but with a rigid box. Especially after their obnoxious comments about "rebuilding Evangelion in the UK" -- Making everyone pay 7 times the price they were before achieves that how?

Chipboard boxes look nice, but would I pay extra for one? Nah. Was I upset when Death Note had a cardboard box instead? Nah. Would I import a release from Australia, just for one? Nah. I just don't understand the bizarre levels of importance anime fans attach to them.

I await their re-release of Evangelion 1.11, I'd die laughing if it was exactly the same as Manga's but with a rigid box. Especially after their obnoxious comments about "rebuilding Evangelion in the UK" -- Making everyone pay 7 times the price they were before achieves that how?
Hold on a sec, the Anime Ltd. release of 1.11 could be had pre-order for £24.99 right? Manga's slipcased release of 3.33 still hasn't come down from £20.99 to my knowledge, hardly seven times the price. Plus none of Manga's Eva rebuild ltd. editions has had consistent artwork from one to the next, at least AL can be relied on not to screw that up.

Hold on a sec, the Anime Ltd. release of 1.11 can be had pre-order for £24.99 right? Manga's slipcased release of 3.33 still hasn't come down from £20.99 to my knowledge, hardly seven times the price. Plus none of Manga's Eva rebuild ltd. editions has had consistent artwork from one to the next, at least AL can be relied on not to screw that up.

I paid £5 for the standard edition of 1.11 last year, AL's is retailing for £34.99 on HMV. That's where the seven times the price came from.

HMV are generally the cheapest for AL films, so I didn't check elsewhere, clearly that was a mistake. Not that five times the price is much better.

Consistent artwork is nice and all, but it can't cost that much extra, can it?

@Buzz201 My point is it's a new release, also a collector's edition, and Manga's ltd. edition releases of the Rebuild movies didn't cost that much less on release even if the standard editions have come down in price subsequently (and is there anything to indicate there won't eventually be standard editions from AL like with their other movie releases?). It doesn't seem entirely fair to compare a brand new collector's edition with a standard edition that came out five years ago. There's also nothing stopping people who want to from buying the old Manga version, so I'm really not seeing the issue.

@Buzz201 My point is it's a new release, also a collector's edition, and Manga's ltd. edition releases of the Rebuild movies didn't cost that much less on release even if the standard editions have come down in price subsequently (and is there anything to indicate there won't eventually be standard editions from AL like with their other movie releases?). It doesn't seem entirely fair to compare a brand new collector's edition with a standard edition that came out five years ago. There's also nothing stopping people who want to from buying the old Manga version, so I'm really not seeing the issue.
I was under the impression AL had said there'd be no standard editions because the market is flooded with Manga's standard edition BDs which they wouldn't be able to price match.

I was under the impression AL had said there'd be no standard editions because the market is flooded with Manga's standard edition BDs which they wouldn't be able to price match.

I was under the impression Andrew had said a standard edition was coming, but he was kinda ambiguous and I'm not sure I believe him, and I'm not sure taking a cheap copy out of circulation for potentially years improves the chances of the series in any way.

I was under the impression Andrew had said a standard edition was coming, but he was kinda ambiguous and I'm not sure I believe him, and I'm not sure taking a cheap copy out of circulation for potentially years improves the chances of the series in any way.
Regardless, I hated the first Eva Rebuild, so I'm content with Manga's BDs of the first two that cost me £5 each and in no rush to buy 3.33. Now, if the TV series could be released on BD, even if it was only as a UE, I'd probably be tempted.

But we all want booklets now, I mean another distributor said it, so it must be true.

Chipboard boxes look nice, but would I pay extra for one? Nah. Was I upset when Death Note had a cardboard box instead? Nah. Would I import a release from Australia, just for one? Nah. I just don't understand the bizarre levels of importance anime fans attach to them.

Re differences: Different designs on the rigid, digipack, art cards with a slight twist & more artwork than used before. The booklet is similar with a few small additions as that's what we have to work with but overall it's different :). We've done what we can with a title we love to pieces as we wanted to deliver something different. The price it was before was due to it running into the end of its life with Manga and needing what we call a "sell-off" period in this space.

Re price: So let me get this straight - you are comparing a price done as a promo to sell off stock at end of lifespan for one company (SRP was not £5.99 on Eva 1.11) to the SRP of Evangelion 1.11 because HMV isn't discounting it? Like everyone we can't control what people do with SRP after we hand a show over - for example that Gurren boxset on Zavvi's SRP is £59.99, yet you can have the whole show + films for £29.99 just now (which with collector's goodies too is insanely good).

For Eva 1.11 - we went out of our way to make it available at £19.99 directly ourselves to start off with so circa the price of an anime film on BD standard. Yes you had to pay upfront and if I could change that I would but we're not Amazon or GAME so it's hard to do here I am afraid. This was because we recognise currently we're in at the end of sell-off which means the last price was £5.99 on promotion.

Rest assured though when Evangelion 1.11 has been out as long as it had from Manga from us too, you'll find good prices too on campaign though :). But when you want to do something new with a show - you have to charge for it as shockingly I don't really want to lose money per show ;).

Don't believe me? See pricing for Cowboy Bebop, Gurren Lagann and other classics from us that vary in price annually due to campaign pricing :). There's always some point in the year as titles age with any company that you can get them at a good price and eventually those prices "out of season also drop".

Re "obnoxious" line in press: As for the "Rebuilding Evangelion in the UK" - sorry if you found that obnoxious but what was I supposed to say instead? It's just PR speak and I like a good pun, Rebuild of Evangelion -> Rebuilding of Evangelion in the UK -> Starting again with a new style of release :). It wasn't particularly meant to rub anyone the wrong way there so again sorry for clearly doing that. Also please don't go die laughing - what would I do with my mornings replying to such charming comments otherwise :D?

Since we're here: You know it's super interesting to me how you say one distributor gives brutal honesty then the rest give and I quote from you "stage managed ********". When precisely has any of the UK anime distributors given you that? I'd like to think if I wanted to do anything stage managed that I'd not waste my time coming to talk to people like yourself despite frequently being torn into. Keep in mind for me personally Anime Ltd is a company I built from the ground up with people who love what they do & make as much as I do. On my end too I also go into a fair bit more detail at times so you get an actual insight into what this side of the business is like on top of honesty (or I like to think).

Pretty sure I've said before too but the reason Collector's comes first and as you'll see in the coming months that a standard follows about 6 months after is just cost - simple as. It costs money to translate the assets and we frequently do more than any other company in the English speaking world on that frontier, that's not even including design costs and production costs All that needs to be made back or on it's way to it or you have to sell even more standards than before and everyone loses. We should also be setting a cap on that period though to make it uniform so people don't have to guess when one will come.

During that period digital accessibility is important too as if you want a physical copy cheaper then you totally should have some way that's legal to watch the show in advance and there should be an accessible physical version available in a set period of time instead of ambiguously in the future. I'd say that was our biggest failing to date and we're addressing it now so it'll be reliable at least. We'll never be the perfect company for everyone, nor will any other company for that matter in niche spaces and the trick is doing as right by things as you can and communicating with folk in the fandom.

Talking of trends: It seems like people hate on what we've done for primarily being ahead of the curve there, but as the digital age slowly creeps forwards you have to start offering more than just the show or eventually you'll be left behind. Not today or even in the next few years - but it'll happen as I've said before. The major (thankful) delay is always going to be speed of digital connectivity growth outside of cities, but it's coming sure enough. When it does, you're going to see the number of people in the mainstream casual anime audience who look for that at above the lowest bargain bin prices and the volume we all once needed to make that work profitability-wise will eventually sink away.

Mind you it's worth pointing out Anime as a niche will always have a segment in the venn diagram who want a show cheaply on disc to keep it safe from digital rights lapsing (which is totally smart) and unlike main stream film, I doubt that will change drastically. So fear not, we're definitely redressing that segment in a serious way in the next year.

Here's the thing though - especially the mainstream community who does dip into anime like Death Note, Attack on Titan, Cowboy Bebop, Fullmetal Alchemist etc, the larger number of them already are starting to fit that model.

Ultimately: Our model may irritate at times, but we're constantly evolving it and growing to try and cater to as many people as we can. We know we'll not make everyone happy all the time but we'll keep listening and discussing anyway :). We love anime as much as you folks do or we'd not spend so much acquiring it from Japan to begin with (I wouldn't anyway)!

Hope this essay length piece is interesting and if you get to the end of it, well done ;)! This was brought to you by me procrastinating from doing presentation documents...

Best,

Andrew,
President / CEO - Anime LTD

Sorry if I was ambiguous - I said not in the immediate future which for me is probably a year as the sell off period more recently means we'd not be able to introduce a price of even £14.99 SRP without someone like your fine self saying we'd hiked the price to 2.5x the price. Either when the Collector's is out of stock (looks like this may come first given current sales) or in a year or so we'll get one out though. This one's a special case as titles picked up after a long release elsewhere are tough to manage (you'll see Metropolis is

To at least the best of my knowledge £5.99 wasn't the SRP for Evangelion 1.11 on BD, it was the lowered price for sell off and campaign more than anything too, so expecting that to return to that price in a rush across the board is tough. I get the consumer-facing issue though but there's common sense business reason behind it here too that we have to obey.

When there is a standard though you can expect it to appear in campaigns as well though of course :).

Best,

AP

when the Collector's is out of stock (looks like this may come first given current sales

I am legitimately confused now. Ignoring the price completely, I don't understand how there can be enough people that want to buy that bad movie for it to go out of print, let alone within a year.
That must mean that, somehow, there are people that bought Manga's release on the cheap, watched it, and actually deemed it a title worthy of buying a second time. I'll never understand people.

I've always seen it as different mentalities. Mangamatsu likes to primarily sell cheap to get higher numbers at a lower profit margin (impulse buy etc) whereas AL prefers to try and tap the previously neglected collector's market at a lower number sold (conjecture) but higher profit margin.

PR is fine & again both companies approach differently. Jerome seems to be a wannabe Kaufman a lot of the time but it's one thing to be controversial & another to just piss off fans by refusing to make standard changes & needlessly reauthoring disks (remember how Stubborn he was about their crappy bookmarking?) AL's UE's I'll push the whole " When's a standard edition coming out?" but ultimately I have plenty of anime to keep me going so a wait isn't unbearable as long as they have a rough date (AL have improved on this) . If you can snag the early birds then the prices are good anyway... E.G. Claymore. £35 for a 26 episode series is pretty good, extras or not.

Can a mod split this argument/debate off into its own thread & link to it? Give it a snappy title too!

I am legitimately confused now. Ignoring the price completely, I don't understand how there can be enough people that want to buy that bad movie for it to go out of print, let alone within a year.
That must mean that, somehow, there are people that bought Manga's release on the cheap, watched it, and actually deemed it a title worthy of buying a second time. I'll never understand people.
(Double post scandal!)

People have different tastes. I enjoyed it enough to buy it and I generally don't buy into the whole super deluxe special editions. It's the only easy way to get into Eva nowadays as the series has long been out of print and can be pricey if you can find it and it's not really available anywhere for streaming (legally). I found that bass on the Manga UK release was dodgy and led to a lot of distortion on everything I've played it on so I'm hoping that'll be fixed too.

Also I could think of no-one better to get the UK rights to the series if they ever manage to prise it off the end of the stick shoved up Anno's backside and if AL sell well and show they handle the license well it puts them in a better position to negotiate. Wishful thinking maybe but still.... I'll probably cry for a week when AL release it as a UE at a crazy £100+ price though, all whilst coveting photos of it.

Sorry if I was ambiguous - I said not in the immediate future which for me is probably a year as the sell off period more recently means we'd not be able to introduce a price of even £14.99 SRP without someone like your fine self saying we'd hiked the price to 2.5x the price. Either when the Collector's is out of stock (looks like this may come first given current sales) or in a year or so we'll get one out though. This one's a special case as titles picked up after a long release elsewhere are tough to manage (you'll see Metropolis is

To at least the best of my knowledge £5.99 wasn't the SRP for Evangelion 1.11 on BD, it was the lowered price for sell off and campaign more than anything too, so expecting that to return to that price in a rush across the board is tough. I get the consumer-facing issue though but there's common sense business reason behind it here too that we have to obey.

When there is a standard though you can expect it to appear in campaigns :).

Best,

AP

As it retreads 100% the first few eps of the show, I guess closest we can all get to the TV series for now ;_;? I see what you mean though!

Completely aside but I really loved 2.0/2.22 as a standalone as someone who loves Evangelion though! Was lukewarm on the first as I was just frothing at the mouth for new Evangelion at the time and had just done a rewatch of my ADV DVDs when it came out.

AP

Re differences: Different designs on the rigid, digipack, art cards with a slight twist & more artwork than used before. The booklet is similar with a few small additions as that's what we have to work with but overall it's different :). We've done what we can with a title we love to pieces as we wanted to deliver something different.

That sounds, like it's at best 80% the same as Manga's...

Re price: So let me get this straight - you are comparing a price done as a promo to sell off stock at end of lifespan for one company (SRP was not £5.99 on Eva 1.11) to the SRP of Evangelion 1.11 because HMV isn't discounting it? Like everyone we can't control what people do with SRP after we hand a show over - for example that Gurren boxset on Zavvi's SRP is £59.99, yet you can have the whole show + films for £29.99 just now (which with collector's goodies too is insanely good).

No, I'm questioning how you can claim to be improving the series chances within the UK, whilst jacking up the price massively. The two seem completely contradictory to me.

I got the Gurren TV series for £18, back when series actually got campaign prices from you and Zavvi..

Rest assured though when Evangelion 1.11 has been out as long as it had from Manga from us too, you'll find good prices too on campaign though :). But when you want to do something new with a show - you have to charge for it as shockingly I don't really want to lose money per show ;).

Don't believe me? See pricing for Cowboy Bebop, Gurren Lagann and other classics from us that vary in price annually due to campaign pricing :). There's always some point in the year as titles age with any company that you can get them at a good price and eventually those prices "out of season also drop".

Neither Gurren nor Bebop went down last year to the levels they did when I brought them in 2015 and nothing new has joined the campaign prices. In fact, I was genuinely about to ask, based on the previous line, if you still did campaign pricing. I guess I've just stopped paying attention, as I already own all of the campaign titles.

Re "obnoxious" line in press: As for the "Rebuilding Evangelion in the UK" - sorry if you found that obnoxious but what was I supposed to say instead? It's just PR speak and I like a good pun, Rebuild of Evangelion -> Rebuilding of Evangelion in the UK -> Starting again with a new style of release :). It wasn't particularly meant to rub anyone the wrong way there so again sorry for clearly doing that. Also please don't go die laughing - what would I do with my mornings replying to such charming comments otherwise :D?

I appreciate a good pun, but the sentiment seemed to be that somehow reissuing a mostly similar product to Manga, for a higher price was improving the series' chances in the UK, which is just absurd.

Since we're here:
You know it's super interesting to me how you say one distributor gives brutal honesty then the rest give and I quote from you "stage managed ********". When precisely has any of the UK anime distributors given you that? I'd like to think if I wanted to do anything stage managed that I'd not waste my time coming to talk to people like yourself despite frequently being torn into. Keep in mind for me personally Anime Ltd is a company I built from the ground up with people who love what they do & make as much as I do. On my end too I also go into a fair bit more detail at times so you get an actual insight into what this side of the business is like on top of honesty (or I like to think).

I didn't say Manga as a distributor were brutally honest, I said Jerome was. To the annoyance, I suspect, of their PR staff.

The big PR incident to me, was the about 5 different and occasionally contradictory stories we got for the Durarara!!x2 OVAs being MIA. (I guess "stage managed" isn't the best term for this, given it clearly wasn't.) I was rather disappointed, so I paid attention to most of things you guys said about it. At one point it was just that nobody was being allowed them as they were an Aniplex exclusive, then it was maybe in a few years' time, then it was maybe going to 6-episodes might have got them, then you said you'd never been informed of their existence nor seen them in a professional capacity. Only to reveal on your podcast, that Kat had seen them in preparation for your release. The whole thing was just a huge mess. I was hoping we'd get a more solid (or at least more consistent) explanation upon Ten's release.

Hope this essay length piece is interesting and if you get to the end of it, well done ;)! This was brought to you by me procrastinating from doing presentation documents...

Best,

Andrew,
President / CEO - Anime LTD

If I get to the end of it? At the very least, I always read your replies to me through to the end. I do appreciate your time and opinions, even if I don't normally agree.

As it retreads 100% the first few eps of the show, I guess closest we can all get to the TV series for now ;_;? I see what you mean though!

Completely aside but I really loved 2.0/2.22 as a standalone as someone who loves Evangelion though! Was lukewarm on the first as I was just frothing at the mouth for new Evangelion at the time and had just done a rewatch of my ADV DVDs when it came out.

AP

That's a shame, because 1.11 is not a good introduction to the franchise. It formed my introduction to the franchise and I can only describe that as a mistake. I'd also question it's merits as a film, but here's not the place.

Back