Pc Game recommedations

devilrules666

Combat Butler
I don't really use my laptop much for gaming and I have lately started playing the broken swords and and the sam and max games. Was wondering if anyone could recommend any other adventure games on the pc that they have played and enjoyed?

I second Fabio's choices (though I've never played Syberia... perhaps I should) and would certainly recommend Monkey Island 1 & 2 if you enjoyed Sam & Max. The new "Tales" aren't bad either, but not quite on the level of the originals. Curse of Monkey Island (the third game in the series) is excellent, if you can actually track it down. Same goes for Grim Fandango if you can track it down and make it work.

Oh, and make sure you download Scumm VM. It enables you to play loads of old freeware and abandonware games, not least the excellent Beneath a Steel Sky and very enjoyable Flight of the Amazon Queen which are available for download on the same page as the installer.

ayase said:
I second Fabio's choices (though I've never played Syberia... perhaps I should) and would certainly recommend Monkey Island 1 & 2 if you enjoyed Sam & Max. The new "Tales" aren't bad either, but not quite on the level of the originals. Curse of Monkey Island (the third game in the series) is excellent, if you can actually track it down. Same goes for Grim Fandango if you can track it down and make it work.

Oh, and make sure you download Scumm VM. It enables you to play loads of old freeware and abandonware games, not least the excellent Beneath a Steel Sky and very enjoyable Flight of the Amazon Queen which are available for download on the same page as the installer.

I second getting Scumm VM and downloading the Lucas Arts classics. The original Monkey Island trilogy are some of the best written and most amusing video games ever created. I have the originals on floppy disk but alas modern computers don't support those anymore. I love them so much I ported the first and third game to my phone!

Maybe read devilrules' request again, guys:

devilrules666 said:
I have lately started playing the broken swords and and the sam and max games. Was wondering if anyone could recommend any other adventure games on the pc that they have played and enjoyed?
Civ and AoE are strategy games.

ayase said:

devilrules666 said:
I have lately started playing the broken swords and and the sam and max games. Was wondering if anyone could recommend any other adventure games on the pc that they have played and enjoyed?

Forgot about that bit in the opening post, kept reading just the thread title.

ayase said:

devilrules666 said:

Sorry about that.

I can't believe I forgot Day of the Tentacle. That, the first three original Monkey Island games, Beneath a Steel Sky and Broken Sword 1 and 2 are classics.

Blade Runner was good - although I'm not sure if it will run on modern computers - its compatability was discussed in an issue of Edge last year so I'm glad I've still got the ancient tower PC. I enjoyed the game and felt that it was faithful to the film but couldn't get the hang of the VK test. I was a bit young I guess...

You could also try Gabriel Knight. That's an adventure series held in high regard. There was also a Discworld adenture but I never played it.

ayase said:
I've never played Syberia... perhaps I should
If you're going to, now would be a good time.

Syberia 1 and 2 on sale for $4.99 each at GOG. That's, like, £6.50 for two of the most memorable gaming experiences you'll have.

No DRM, to boot.

Ecshellent (he said, in his best Sean Connery parody accent). Cheers Fabio. Today is a good day for games I've had my eye on to drop in price - Victoria 2: A House Divided has gone down to £8 at GamersGate as well.

Ben 'Yahtzee' Crosshaw's Chzo mythos, they aren;t retail games but they are good horror adventure games, and they are free.

Another independantly made (but sold commercially online) game is Gemini Rue.

And then there' sstuff like the tex murphy series and journeyman that can be bought from goodoldgames.dot.com A new Tex Murphy is also on the way having just recently met it's funding target on kickstarter.

While browsing GOG over the weekend I happened upon an adventure game called The Last Express. As the name implies, it's about the downfall of a daily tabloid... no, wait, a murder mystery on the Orient Express. Seriously, is there a more enticing combination than murder and trains?

Apparently it was a commercial failure upon release in 1997, but the number of 5-star reviews (and its $5 price tag) on GOG convinced me to give it a go. And it's bloody great.

The most unique aspect of The Last Express is that it's in real-time; events and conversations take place whether you're there to witness them or not, which can lead to rather sudden game overs - but also gives the game massive replay value. The clock can be rewound at any time, however, so if your game is suddenly cut short there will always be an opportunity to put it right.

Just glancing at the huge walkthrough at GameFAQs give an indication of how many different ways in which the game can play out. It truly is the adventure game of the future... from the, um, past.

Bit late to the party, but I noticed the Discworld games got a mention earlier in the thread.

The first two are both good fun and have an excellent voice cast (Eric Idle, Tony Robinson and Rob Brydon all make an appearance), but the second game is probably the more desirable, with more logical puzzles and much improved artwork. Neither is an exact adaptation from the books, but the first is modelled mainly on Guards! Guards!, while the second is split mostly between Mort and Reaper Man.

There was a third game as well, Discworld Noir, which I think might be an entirely original script, but I could never get it to run on my computer...

fabricatedlunatic said:
While browsing GOG over the weekend I happened upon an adventure game called The Last Express. As the name implies, it's about the downfall of a daily tabloid... no, wait, a murder mystery on the Orient Express. Seriously, is there a more enticing combination than murder and trains?

Apparently it was a commercial failure upon release in 1997, but the number of 5-star reviews (and its $5 price tag) on GOG convinced me to give it a go. And it's bloody great.

The most unique aspect of The Last Express is that it's in real-time; events and conversations take place whether you're there to witness them or not, which can lead to rather sudden game overs - but also gives the game massive replay value. The clock can be rewound at any time, however, so if your game is suddenly cut short there will always be an opportunity to put it right.

Just glancing at the huge walkthrough at GameFAQs give an indication of how many different ways in which the game can play out. It truly is the adventure game of the future... from the, um, past.

I was wondering whether this was available the other day because I have been intrigued by it for quite a while. I'll download it now.

Back