Overseas Region 2 Compatible DVDs

Status
Not open for further replies.
Updated with:

Fairy Tail Part 9
Ikki Tousen: Xtreme Xectuor
Psycho Pass: Parts 1 & 2 (Premium Edition is Blu-ray only)
Robotics;Notes: Part 2

I can confirm the DVDs of Aesthetica of a Rogue Hero: Complete Series are region 2 compatible.

Ikki Tousen: Great Guardians DVDs are region 1, 2 & 4 according to the Funimation store.

Titan said:
I can confirm the DVDs of Aesthetica of a Rogue Hero: Complete Series are region 2 compatible.

Ikki Tousen: Great Guardians DVDs are region 1, 2 & 4 according to the Funimation store.

I swear I saw GG as Region 1 only (as Battle Vixens were). But thanks for the notice, the show now has my attention.

Updated thread and included this mini list for the 2014 items.

2014 new/upcoming titles (Noted to be R2 compatible):
Attack on Titan - Part 1 [Standard, Limited, Premium] & Part 2
Evangelion: 3.33 You Can (Not) Redo
Fairy Tail - Part 9 & Part 10
Fruits Basket - Complete Series [Classic Line]
Haganai: I Don't Have Many Friends NEXT - Season 2 [Standard, Limited]
Ikki Tousen: Great Guardians - Season 3
Ikki Tousen: Xtreme Xectuor & Shugaku Toshi Keppu-roku - Season 4/OVA
Jormungand - Season 1
Jormungand: Perfect Order - Season 2
Psycho-Pass, Part 1 [Standard] & Part 2
Robotics;Notes, Part 1 [Standard, Limited] & Part 2
Strike Witches - Season 2 [S.A.V.E.]

I was quite surprised when I was checking my Initial D cover and checked there region 1,2 and 4... I was like.. what?? Then I have tried on my ps3 and it worked... lol I was so happy but then I have noticed that Fourth stage say region 1 only in the cover but actually, in the discs, says 1,2 and 4 too... Shame the fourth cant be played after all...

But yeah, just saying this because i have come to this post to confirm if the anime was on the list... I guess I should have watched this topic long time ago lol

yeah i know, this reply was pure spam xD

bakum4tsu said:
I was quite surprised when I was checking my Initial D cover and checked there region 1,2 and 4... I was like.. what?? Then I have tried on my ps3 and it worked... lol I was so happy but then I have noticed that Fourth stage say region 1 only in the cover but actually, in the discs, says 1,2 and 4 too... Shame the fourth cant be played after all...

But yeah, just saying this because i have come to this post to confirm if the anime was on the list... I guess I should have watched this topic long time ago lol

yeah i know, this reply was pure spam xD

so in other words, the discs displayed R1, 2, 4 but only plays on R1? That's rather odd to see.

Yeah the disc for the FOurth Stage displays region 1 2 and 4, though I have only tried the first disc but it says in all of them. But the cover says region 1 only so... I can try the rest but I dont think its gonna change...

A real shame, dont know why they have done that...

It's time for a revival, but only to add the Puchim@s petite idolm@ster season 1 and 2 sets as region 1, 2 and 4 (and like the region free blu-ray thread this thread should be moved to the anime industry discussion section).

There are quite a lot of 'older' anime titles that were Region 2 compatible.

For instance (from memory):

All Individually released Dragon Ball Z Movies
All individually released Dragon Ball Movies
All individually released Dragon Ball Z DVDs (about 3 episodes per disc)
All 9 Seasons of Dragon Ball Z (Orange Brick Sets)
Both Seasons (and the Complete Set) of Dragon Ball GT (Green Brick sets)
The steelbook Dragon Ball Z Movies (two/three films per release)
Sands of Destruction (both SAVE and Regular Edition)

Everything I've ever had that was put out by Discotek Media has been labelled as region 1 but works fine in my region 2 devices.

For completeness, that would include:

Mazinger Z (collections 1 and 2)
Captain Harlock, Space Pirate
Crying Freeman
Fist of the North Star (all big brick DVD volumes)
Fist of the North Star - the movie
Mad Bull 34
Bokurano

I can also add that Funimation's S.A.V.E. edition of El Cazador De La Bruja is playable on region 2 devices.

Thanks guys for suddenly bringing back this thread! I've updated the Funimation titles and I'll be adding the Discotek titles very soon (I'll add the other untested titles as unconfirmed).

Discotek items are now added to the first post. Let me know if there are other titles 100% tested & confirmed to work on R2.

bakum4tsu said:
I was quite surprised when I was checking my Initial D cover and checked there region 1,2 and 4... I was like.. what?? Then I have tried on my ps3 and it worked... lol I was so happy but then I have noticed that Fourth stage say region 1 only in the cover but actually, in the discs, says 1,2 and 4 too... Shame the fourth cant be played after all..
There was some odd stuff going on with Kiddy Grade - the first disc was R1,2+4, then a few discs later they switched to R1+4 and I think they were R1-only by the end of the run.

Got some new stuff for the list.

I can confirm that ADV's old Battle Angel Alita DVD release is compatible with region 2 hardware, in spite of being labelled region 1.

Likewise, Discotek's releases of The Venus Wars, Mazinger Edition Z - the Impact! and Kyatto-Ninden Teyandee are all region 2 playable.

Got another update on a Discotek release.

Super Dimension Century Orguss, which I'm aware will have been quite keenly anticipated by my fellow AUKNers, arrived recently, and continues the trend of Discotek's DVDs being region 2 compatible.

It's a great little product, with much more luxurious packaging than I've previously come to expect from the company. At a glance, PQ has a fair bit of noticeable artifacting, though, and there's a more annoying fault that spoils the fun somewhat.

Discs 4 and 5 both contain episodes which simply refuse to play on my main DVD player, which is Toshiba XDE deck. I've tried playing these on my Panasonic Blu Ray player as well, and the problem is completely absent there.

Kind of a bummer, but it appears this may be a player-specific issue. I've contacted Discotek about it via their Facebook page, so we'll see what, if anything, they have to say about it.

HdE said:
Got another update on a Discotek release.

Super Dimension Century Orguss, which I'm aware will have been quite keenly anticipated by my fellow AUKNers, arrived recently, and continues the trend of Discotek's DVDs being region 2 compatible.

It's a great little product, with much more luxurious packaging than I've previously come to expect from the company. At a glance, PQ has a fair bit of noticeable artifacting, though, and there's a more annoying fault that spoils the fun somewhat.

Discs 4 and 5 both contain episodes which simply refuse to play on my main DVD player, which is Toshiba XDE deck. I've tried playing these on my Panasonic Blu Ray player as well, and the problem is completely absent there.

Kind of a bummer, but it appears this may be a player-specific issue. I've contacted Discotek about it via their Facebook page, so we'll see what, if anything, they have to say about it.

Interesting, I'm glad to see that these Discotek releases are actually region free (crosses fingers that the Lupin vs Conan titles are Region 2!). I will update the list very soon.

Yeah - literally EVERYTHING I have on DVD from Discotek works in my R2 players.

I'm actually wondering if this is down to an oversight at HQ or something. I remember Justin Sevakis saying something on ANN about DVD region coding being an easily overlooked part of the authoring process, or somesuch.

Where older material is concerned, I can see it might have been a case that licensors weren't overly bothered. But stuff like Bokurano, Dallos and Captain Harlock, I would have expected to be region locked.

it's not really THAT big a deal, because region nlocking a DVD player is dead easy, and circumvention software is easy to find. But it's a nice aspect of Discotek's reeases that you can just pop 'em into whichever player and they'll work.

Ah... except when they don't, like the last couple of discs of Orguss.

Apologies for the delay on updating this thread.

It's now up to date.

I have one request for you all.

If you have a Discotek title, please check and see if they work on your R2 player so I can fill up that small list. :lol:

NormanicGrav said:

It's now up to date.

If you have a Discotek title, please check and see if they work on your R2 player so I can fill up that small list. :lol:
Free iwatobi swim club is REG free

thedoctor2016 said:
NormanicGrav said:

It's now up to date.

Free iwatobi swim club is REG free

I already know that and it's on the 'noted' list. :|

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back