[Overseas] Anime News & Announcements

Funimation US October 2021 line-up.

There are no limited editions (but two steelbooks that are retail exclusive to specific locations so they won't be listed here) scheduled for this batch.

New releases:

AnimeContentFormatDatePriceAudioNotes
Golden Kamuy Season 3TV: 1-12BD/DVD
5th​
$64.98​
English
Japanese​
Haibane RenmeiTV: 1-13Blu-ray
26th​
$39.98​
English
Japanese​
Higurashi: When They Cry GOUTV: 1-13Blu-ray
26th​
$64.98​
English
Japanese​
Kuma Kuma Kuma BearTV: 1-12Blu-ray
12th​
$64.98​
English
Japanese​
TAMAYOMI: The Baseball GirlsTV: 1-12Blu-ray
5th​
$64.98​
English
Japanese​
Wandering Witch: The Journey of ElainaTV: 1-12Blu-ray
26th​
$64.98​
English
Japanese​

Re-releases:

C3: Cube x Cursed x Curious​
TV: 1-12Blu-ray
5th​
$29.98​
Japanese​
Essentials
The Disappearance of Nagato Yuki-Chan​
TV: 1-16Blu-ray
19th​
$29.98​
English
Japanese​
Essentials
Dragon Ball Z – Resurrection ‘F’FilmBD/DVD
19th​
$34.98​
English
Japanese​
No Slipcover
The Melancholy of Haruhi SuzumiyaTV: 1-28Blu-ray
26th​
$34.98​
English
Japanese​
Essentials

States Region A
but previous discs
are Region AB

Bonus Features DVD
disc not included.
Mobile Suit Gundam: Iron-Blooded OrphansTV: 1-50Blu-ray
26th​
$89.98​
English
Japanese​
[Rightstuf exclusive]
Includes Box

Last edited:
I wonder who will get Higurashi GOU over here. I really enjoyed GOU It a fun little tie in/prequal to Umineko. It's possible it might be region B as well I guess?

I rewatched the old US DVDs last year. As a very early digi-paint anime and an old DVD release, it was quite an ugly transfer, so I'll be interested to see how the upscale turns out.
Is Haibane being redone? Because the Japanese upscale was bloody awful and looked worse than the DVDs, if it's the same upscale it really will not be worth buying.

Oh!

The Haruhi Suzumiya re-release fills me with promise, I was querying the release date for the UK in the Funimation thread.

However is it the same as the leaked blu-ray that was shown last year as that also included Disappearance and all the shorts I think (Haruhi-Chan and maybe Nyoron Tsuruya).

EDIT Funimation website notes it as just SERIES 1 AND 2 so seems to differ to the leaked listing from last year.

Last year's leak - Listings Leaked for Kyoto Animation Shows Coming to Blu-ray in the UK in 2021 • Anime UK News

However is it the same as the leaked blu-ray that was shown last year as that also included Disappearance and all the shorts I think (Haruhi-Chan and maybe Nyoron Tsuruya).
Unfortunately for some reason, Funimation kept the Blu-ray version of the Haruhi-chan & Nyoron shorts exclusively to their out of print collector's edition release from back in 2016. As you probably noticed the Essentials release is basically the 28 episode series, though they have ditched the DVD bonus features disc which was included in the other releases (I own the collector's edition and can confirm those discs for the TV series were surprisingly compatible with UK Blu-ray & DVD players).

If Funimation UK were still going ahead with the Haruhi series, it'll probably follow the Essentials set in discs and packaging (but without the Essentials branding) and perhaps have Disappearance as its own release.

Unfortunately for some reason, Funimation kept the Blu-ray version of the Haruhi-chan & Nyoron shorts exclusively to their out of print collector's edition release from back in 2016. As you probably noticed the Essentials release is basically the 28 episode series, though they have ditched the DVD bonus features disc which was included in the other releases (I own the collector's edition and can confirm those discs for the TV series were surprisingly compatible with UK Blu-ray & DVD players).

If Funimation UK were still going ahead with the Haruhi series, it'll probably follow the Essentials set in discs and packaging (but without the Essentials branding) and perhaps have Disappearance as its own release.
Ah thanks for letting me know.

I just find it odd that the late 2020 leak mentioned so much to be included in the supposedly upcoming blu-ray but then they're re-releasing S1 and 2 together.

I sure hope Disappearance gets a re-release as I only have an Australian region free copy.

Last edited:
I just find it odd that the late 2020 leak mentioned so much to be included in the supposedly upcoming blu-ray but then they're re-releasing S1 and 2 together.
Bear in mind that the leaked images for Clannad and K-On showed the US complete/ultimate edition covers respectively, but those aren't the discs that Manga ended up using. A lot seems to have changed since the early planning stage for these KyoAni releases.

I'm surprised that interspecies reviewers is getting released in the usa but I can't see it getting a uk release because of the bbfc.

Well, it's being released in the US as a Hentai, under Rightstuf's Hentai label Critical Mass, which I guess is a rather convenient arrangement to get a physical release done.

Last edited:
yeah, sorry, I meant Critical Mass... I was reading something about Kitty Media earlier today so I had that already in my head, lol. I fixed my previous post.

2020-09-01_8.png

Sentai US October 2021 line-up.

There are no limited editions (but one steelbook) scheduled for this batch.

New releases:

Nozo x KimiOVA: 1-3Blu-ray
19th​
$29.98​
Japanese​
Peter Grill and the Philosopher's TimeTV: 1-12Blu-ray
Steelbook
12th​
$129.98​
English
Japanese​
Steelbook includes:
32-page Booklet

Re-releases:

NAKAIMO ~ My Little Sister is Among Them!​
TV: 1-12
+ OVA
Blu-ray
5th​
$59.98​
English
Japanese​
Re-release!
First came out in 2013
Say "I Love You"​
TV: 1-13Blu-ray
19th​
$59.98​
English
Japanese​
Re-release!
First came out in 2013
She, the Ultimate WeaponTV: 1-13Blu-ray
26th​
$59.98​
English
Japanese​
Re-release, now on Blu-ray!
DVD first came out in 2015
Venus WarsFilmBlu-ray
26th​
$29.98​
English
Japanese​
Re-release!
English Dub is Sentai version

iirc last time i asked manga before funimation gobbled them up, they said they didn't have the license to Saikano anymore so i guess there could be some hope in it being brought over, only problem is i guess the blu-ray release won't have the 2 OVAs

Manga's DVD release of She, The Ultimate Weapon was terrible (non-anamorphic letterboxed), so that's a definite upgrade for me.

Manga's DVD release of She, The Ultimate Weapon was terrible (non-anamorphic letterboxed), so that's a definite upgrade for me.
was this both releases? i'm sure i remember the set with the slim cases in a box being widescreen, i know the mangaforce dvds i have still are letterboxed tho

was this both releases? i'm sure i remember the set with the slim cases in a box being widescreen, i know the mangaforce dvds i have still are letterboxed tho
I only have the original single releases, so I don't know about later versions.

Back