[Overseas] Anime News & Announcements

Forgot to mention this but it was so late last night that I didn't bring it up.

Discotek responded to someone's question about out of print releases, and they did say they will renew the titles as much as they can, but recommended that if a release is from 2016 or earlier that you should consider buying them sooner to play it safe.

The titles that came out on Blu-ray during that time period are as follows:
2012:
  • Little Nemo: Adventures in Slumberland
2014:
  • Blue Submarine No. 6
  • Cardcaptor Sakura the Movie [very likely will be acquired by Anime Limited]
  • Unico (Fantastic Adventures / Island of Magic)
2015:
  • Jin-Roh: The Wolf Brigade [Anime Limited released this on Blu-ray]
  • Lupin the Third: The Castle of Cagliostro [Studio Canal released this on Blu-ray (but is Inferior), Released in 4K UHD years later by Discotek]
  • Shin Getter Robo vs Neo Getter Robo
  • Space Adventure Cobra the Movie [Released in 4K UHD years later by Discotek]
  • Vampire Hunter D: Bloodlust [Anime Limited released this on Blu-ray]
  • Venus Wars [License expired, but Sentai re-released it on Blu-ray with a new English dub]
2016:
  • Arpeggio of Blue Steel
  • Black Jack: The Movie
  • Getter Robo Armageddon
  • Golgo 13: The Professional
  • Jungle Emperor Leo
  • Lupin the Third: Jigen's Gravestone [very likely will be acquired by Anime Limited after Woman Called Fujiko Mine is released]
  • Lupin the Third: Voyage to Danger
  • Night on the Galactic Railroad
  • Samurai Pizza Cats [Dub Version, SD-BD]
  • Street Fighter II: The Animated Movie
  • Strike the Blood
  • Tekkaman Blade II
2017:
  • 5 Centimeters Per Second [Anime Limited released this on Blu-ray]
  • Actually I Am...
  • Barefoot Gen 1 & 2
  • Captain Harlock: Arcadia Of My Youth
  • Fatal Fury: The Movie
  • Fist of the North Star [SD-BD]
  • FREEDOM [Manga Ent. released this on Blu-ray (but is Inferior)]
  • GoShogun: The Time Etranger
  • Hi-SCool! Seha Girls
  • Horus: Prince of the Sun
  • Kaiba
  • Kyousougiga
  • Lupin the Third: Island of Assassins
  • Magic Knight Rayearth [Anime Limited released this on Blu-ray]
  • Panda Go Panda
  • School Days
  • Sea Prince and the Fire Child
  • True Tears
  • The Wonderful Wizard of Oz [Dub Version, SD-BD]
  • Yowamushi Pedal: The Movie
Thanks for the list. I already have most of the ones I want from that, but there are a few I'll need to bump up the priority list. I keep telling myself not to buy more blu-rays until I've watched the last lot, but something always sets off my FOMO sense.

Don't get me wrong, it's fantastic news. It's just not something that I expect from a hyped announcement, it's hardly the original cut of The Magnificent Ambersons

I would be super excited about finding 35mm masters of a series, if it was one I was even remotely interested in. Project A-ko is not one of those unfortunately, so it was pretty much an anti-climactic reveal for me. Cool story on how it was found, though!

D-D-D-D-D-D-D-D-D-D-D-D-D-D-D-D-DISCOTEK May 2021 line-up.

These were all announced during the panel, but here's a recap.

AnimeContentFormatDatePriceAudioNotes
Grimm's Fairytale Classics Collection 1TV: 24 epsSD Blu-ray25th$49.95English
Japanese
Kashimashi ~Girl Meets Girl~TV: 13 epsBlu-ray25th$39.95English
Japanese
Media Blasters license rescue
Magical Girl OreTV: 12 epsBlu-rat25th$39.95Japanese
Medabots Season 3TV: 39 epsSD Blu-ray25th$39.95English
Neo Heroic Fantasia ArionFilmBlu-ray25th$24.95Japanese

Funimation June 2021 line-up.

Regular releases (there are no LEs solicited for this slate).

APPARE-RANMAN!TV: 1-12Blu-ray
[Region AB]
1st​
$64.98​
English
Japanese​
Black Clover Season 3 Part 4TV: 130-141Blu-ray/DVD
[Region AB]
1st​
$54.98​
English
Japanese​
Part 4 of 5 for Season 3
Shachibato! President It's Time for Battle!TV: 1-12Blu-ray
[Region AB]
1st​
$64.98​
English
Japanese​
Number24TV: 1-12Blu-ray
[Region AB]
8th​
$64.98​
English
Japanese​
Wave, Listen to Me!TV: 1-12Blu-ray
[Region AB]
8th​
$64.98​
English
Japanese​
Phantasy Star Online 2: Episode Oracle Part 2TV: 13-25Blu-ray
[Region AB]
15th​
$64.98​
Japanese​
Subtitled only
No Guns Life Season 2TV: 13-24Blu-ray
[Region A]
22nd​
$64.98​
English
Japanese​
Smile Down the RunwayTV: 1-12Blu-ray
[Region AB]
22nd​
$64.98​
English
Japanese​
A Certain Scientific Railgun T Part 2TV: 13-25Blu-ray/DVD
[Region AB]
29th​
$64.98​
English
Japanese​
Hatena IllusionTV: 1-12Blu-ray
[Region AB]
29th​
$64.98​
English
Japanese​

Re-releases:

Last Exile -Fam, The Silver Wing-TV: 1-23Blu-ray
[Region A]
1st​
$34.98​
English
Japanese​
Essentials label
Mob Psycho 100 Season 1TV: 1-12Blu-ray
[Region AB]
1st​
$49.98​
English
Japanese​
Classics label
Fruits Basket (2019) Season 1TV: 1-25Blu-ray
[Region AB]
8th​
$69.98​
English
Japanese​
One Piece Collection 26TV: 615-641Blu-ray/DVD
[Region A]
15th​
$34.98​
English
Japanese​

Need to get True Tears soon, don't wanna miss out on it.

Glad you mentioned this, I ordered a copy right after I saw your post and it just arrived yesterday. Had it in my Save for Later queue on Rightstuf for years...

Such a good series, pity Sola isn't in print, not sure if Shigofumi is still available either.

Ooo, loved Shigofumi, I have the old 2008 Sentai DVD release of that series.

I hope Laid-Back Camp ends up at Discotek or Sentai. I don't trust Viz Media

Mangaranga said:
I have very mixed opinions on this.

On one hand this breaks titles free from the Funimation empire, which is good for both competition locally and overseas, as this then frees up titles to be licensed by other companies here in the UK for example. On the other hand, Viz's subtitling itself is, in my opinion, worse than Funimation due to shared problem of a lack of typesetting and less legible text due to the smaller border.

There is also the major concern which is video quality, and unfortunately (excluding the titles Justin did for them) Viz don't have the best track record in this regard. First they were encoding for PC RGB levels with trash encoding, then around 2016 they were encoding in the SD colour space but their encoding was much better. Jojo Golden Wind Part 2 finally saw a respectable release from them encoded in the correct colour range and correct RGB levels (albeit not free from issues as their encoder will every so often spit out anything from an average of one to a few frames showing some blocking and worse encoding which also affects prior releases - Potential spoiler warning for second image comparison).

That brings us to now, where a month and a half after Jojo's authoring, someone (who I assume isn't Subatomic due to the disc structure/encoding setup) authored Osomatsu-san - which once again has been encoded for PC RGB levels and thus has heightened gamma. I can't really speak for the encoding of the episodes themselves as Osomatsu-san as a show is both low resolution and incredibly noisy, but the trailers on the discs looked atrocious compared to their Subatomic Digital authored counterparts which causes me a lot of worry for future releases.

I hope that means that the chances of Anime Ltd getting Kaisen are much higher, given that they have In/Spectre.

What is even up with this non physical release of Yuru Camp (& A Place further than the Universe). Is there a reason or some speculation as to why it's taking so long?

Would love a Dororo relese from @MVM

I hope that means that the chances of Anime Ltd getting Kaisen are much higher, given that they have In/Spectre.

What is even up with this non physical release of Yuru Camp (& A Place further than the Universe). Is there a reason or some speculation as to why it's taking so long?

Would love a Dororo relese from @MVM
My guess is that both of those shows are probably stuck in the backlog. I reckon Discotek is more than likely to grab them as long as the US legal stuff delays the whole Sony Crunchyroll buyout like what has happened not too long ago.

Dororo would be a good call for MVM, it has some previous traction from their live action release (IIRC?) and the anime remake was a great watch.

R

Back