[Overseas] Anime News & Announcements

It's an amazing show. If you have a nice blu ray player that upscales stuff nicely then try out with the DVDs. Ironically the MVM DVD version comes with more extras and this version of the Japanese blu rays is pretty barebones (sans really nice box I want that set soo much). There is a really really nice version that will be at least £400 that is OOP but it's beautiful.

Well the thing is that it's a very Marmite series. If you like the fate series and other nasuverse stuff then you are likely to like although they are pretty different in terms of atmosphere. A lot of people call it pretentious which I strongly disagree with but whatever. Most compact way to describe it as a whole would be urban fantasy with philosophical themes.
On the whole resolution tangent, is anyone else noticing that rokka looks pixelly on the boarders even in 1080p (seems more like a crunchy roll encode issue but passione is quite a new studio). I do have no doubts that ufo's fate installments and mirai fukuin where made at 855p but I'm not sure about knk.

Buzz201 said:
This came from some randomers Facebook page
810p = Dogakobo, Sunrise and A-1 Pictures
855p = Ufotable
864p = Production IG
873p = DEEN
882p = Satellite
900p = Toei and JCSTAFF
955p = KyoAni
1080p = Any CGI anime
I've only previously seen the numbers for JC Staff, KyoAni and Ufotable.
Some of those resolutions seem pretty far out there IMO. For example I still wouldn't say that A-1 Productions are above 720p by looking at them.
The backgrounds might be that resolution, but I can't imagine that the artwork necessarily is. Similarly KyoAni OP/EDs and Backgrounds are all meant to be 1080p whilst the actual animation is 955p.

Mangaranga said:
Buzz201 said:
This came from some randomers Facebook page
810p = Dogakobo, Sunrise and A-1 Pictures
855p = Ufotable
864p = Production IG
873p = DEEN
882p = Satellite
900p = Toei and JCSTAFF
955p = KyoAni
1080p = Any CGI anime
I've only previously seen the numbers for JC Staff, KyoAni and Ufotable.
Some of those resolutions seem pretty far out there IMO. For example I still wouldn't say that A-1 Productions are above 720p by looking at them.
The backgrounds might be that resolution, but I can't imagine that the artwork necessarily is. Similarly KyoAni OP/EDs and Backgrounds are all meant to be 1080p whilst the actual animation is 955p.
As I said it came from some randomer's facebook page, and he referred to KyoAni was "Kyoanus", so I wouldn't take it too seriously. I was surprised by how high the Dogakobo number was, I don't think the excessive softness of Plastic Memories was all an effect.

From what I saw of Gate (Thus the JSDF Fought There), I could perhaps buy that parts of it were done at a high resolution, but the most striking part of the animation of GATE for me was the CG, which unusually for anime doesn't look awful.

I'll be away to update it completely but Anime News Network have revealed bits of the Funimation November line-up:

Danganronpa the Animation
Dragonar Academy (Looks like there are artcards that come with this)
Fairy Tail Collection 5
Noein (Looks like it has an artbox)
One Piece Collection 14

I also expect extra things like Black Lagoon Collector's Edition, Dragon Ball Z: Resurrection F and couple other titles that were supposed to come out earlier in the year but got delayed.

Oooh Noein. I think I may have to import that! Loved the show when I bought it on DVD (for £8!) Where are you getting the "looks like it has an artbox" but from, is it an image you can see somewhere on ANN?

edit - I had to zoom out to fit it all on to my screen but the artbox looks lovely (same as the Japanese release apparently)

http://i.imgur.com/PWCB4Bw.jpg

Sentai's release of Hayate the Combat Butler Season 1 has the TV Edited version of the Japanese audio, which means a lot of references and such are bleeped on both audio and subtitles. Bandai's release included both the TV Edit and the Uncut versions.

TV Edit:
"Maria, what ****** is this?"

Uncut:
"Maria, what Gundam is this?"

More info revealed for Funimation's November line-up.

(*can't go into super detail at this time due to using my Vita as a source for accessing the wifi*)

Buddy Complex - Complete Series [Regions TBA due to broken Funi link at this time (BD & DVD)]
Danganronpa the Animation - Complete Series (Standard & LE) [Regions: A|1 (BD & DVD)]
Dragonar Academy - Complete Series (Standard & LE) [Regions: A|B|1|2|4 (BD & DVD)]
Eureka Seven: AO - Complete Series (S.A.V.E) [Regions: A|B (BD) 1 (DVD)]
Fairy Tail - Collection 5 [Regions: A|B|1|2|4 (BD & DVD)]
Fafner - Complete Series & Movie (S.A.V.E) [Regions: A|B (BD) 1|2|4 (DVD)]
Good Luck Girl! - Complete Series (S.A.V.E) [Regions: 1 (DVD)]
Noein: To Your Other Self - Complete Series (Standard & LE) [Regions: A|B|1|2|4 (BD & DVD)]
One Piece - Collection 14 [Regions: 1 (DVD)]

So happy to see Noein is A|B, a definite buy from me.

Also, I though Fairy Tail was locked to A now? Or does this collection contain episodes from before they started locking them?

Buzzkillington said:
So happy to see Noein is A|B, a definite buy from me.

Also, I though Fairy Tail was locked to A now? Or does this collection contain episodes from before they started locking them?
Part 9 & 10 were the last sets to be Region A|B|1|2|4. Collection 6 onwards will be Region A|1.

Also I found out that Buddy Complex will be subtitle only (Japanese audio, no English dub) with SRP $54.98.

NormanicGrav said:
Buzz201 said:
Do we know if Buddy Complex includes the two wrap-up OVAs?
I don't know yet as the main item page is broken. We'll find out soon once the titles are available for pre-order on Rightstuf.

In future you might want to check the source code.

Buddy Complex is currently listed as:
SUMMARY
Legendary Gundam studio Sunrise’s latest addition to the mech genre, Buddy Complex takes action and adventure to new heights with dynamic visuals, high-caliber animation and huge interstellar battles.

It’s shaping up to be another boring day for high school student Aoba Watase until a bright light appears in the sky and a giant robot attacks the city.

As the mechanical menace closes in on him, he’s saved by a classmate who’s piloting a mech of her own. After accepting a cryptic offer to join the alliance she’s a part of, Aoba is thrust into the future where a new world war threatens to tear the planet apart. With no other choice, Aoba must pick a side, learn to pilot a mech, and fight his way through an army of enemies as he tries to find a way back to the past he left behind.

DETAILS
Includes: Eps 1-15
Format: Blu-ray & DVD
Languages: Japanese
Subtitles: English
Rating: TV-14
Aspect Ratio: 16x9
Special Feature Video: 1080p High Definition (HD Native), 480 Standard Definition
Main Feature Video: 1080p High Definition (HD Native), 480 Standard Definition
Special Feature Audio: Dolby TrueHD: Japanese 2.0, Japanese Stereo
Main Feature Runtime: 375
Special Feature Runtime: 14
Region: A|1
Number of Blu-ray Disc: 2
Number of DVDs: 3
Studio: FUNimation
UPC: 704400092862

Discotek have confirmed that their upcoming Blu-Ray release of Night on the Galactic Railroad will be Region A locked (unsurprisingly)

Back