One Piece Chapter Discussion

ilmaestro

State Alchemist
Since we're on a run of bumping these threads, here's another one.

OP is a series I am still a bit behind on, so I'll have to leave any recent discussion to other people until maybe next week, but I did have a question:

How is Law's speech pattern rendered in the English version? Specifically the way he says people's names.

ilmaestro said:
Since we're on a run of bumping these threads, here's another one.

OP is a series I am still a bit behind on, so I'll have to leave any recent discussion to other people until maybe next week, but I did have a question:

How is Law's speech pattern rendered in the English version? Specifically the way he says people's names.

What, was there anything unusual with the way he pronounced names? o_O I can't remember

Yeah, excluding the occasional tilde, I don't think many translators have picked up on anything. I haven't read it for a while either, though. I don't remember anything special going on in the fansubs either.

He calls Luffy, for instance, "Mugiwara-ya", and Kid "Eustass-ya".

"Ya" as an ending is usually used to nominalize verb stems - as an example, "kowagari-ya" would be someone (the "ya" part) who gets scared a lot ("kowagari" is from "kowagaru" - to be scared).

So he calls Luffy something like "Straw Hat Guy".

After Ilmaestro's insistance on the other threads that this is better than Bleach and Naruto I've decided to give it a read.

Only read chapter 0 and 1 which is the same story but i think 0 is a first draft. Really enjoyed it but much preffered 0 to 1. Don't know if it was the slight changes in artwork or the order i read them in. But it's a series i'll definitely keep reading.

ONE PIECE: Chapter 574 (SPOLIERS)

Chapter 574 (SPOLIERS)

I am in two minds to whether it a good idea or not to kill off Ace. Its certainty gives the series a gritter edge and making it that no one in future is certain to survive to the very end including member of Straw Hat crew.

But I am still not sure it the right thing to do, Its not that I am sad to see Ace go from the story, what I am worried about is the effect on Luffy, I like the way Luffy treated being pirate as fun adventure where he fought to protect his crew from harm. I don't want Luffy adventure to turn into journey of revenge against Blackbeard or Akainu/World Government. I would find it sad to see Luffy end up just killing everyone who confront him latter on. There something nice about him completely destorying the will of his enemy to fight than resorting to kill them.

Last edited by a moderator:
Well I keep on hearing on forums that the little word preview for next week issue, that appears on the last page is saying "6 months later". We have to wait the full scan to come out to be confirmed but it could mean a timeskip is going to take take place.

merged the topics together, no real reason for seperate threads, just post what chapter your talking about so other know which one it is your spoiling

Ryo Chan said:
merged the topics together, no real reason for seperate threads, just post what chapter your talking about so other know which one it is your spoiling

There is reason for it, as otherwise people going to forget to stick spoliers code up and you going to ruin a person enjoyment of the show. You yourself have not bothered to stick spoliers on the later posts about 6 month later which clearly showing something is up with the story. Its not exactly we are running out space on this part of forum, the last post on the last topic on page is from December 18 close to near 2 months ago!

i asked for it to be dealt with Dave. Main reason was i had enough trouble avoiding the spoilers for a chapter, which i believe should NOT be spoilt as is then to find it being done on here kinda got annoying. So i asked Ryo to merge and spoiler it all up(as Ryo doesn't read OP). Its fine now i've been able to read it, but i don't think we should have a spoiler discussion(by this i mean random pages which have been scanned up but not the whole chapter available, rumours as well, if you will), more just a chapter discussion as they get released.

Arbalest said:
i asked for it to be dealt with Dave. Main reason was i had enough trouble avoiding the spoilers for a chapter, which i believe should NOT be spoilt as is then to find it being done on here kinda got annoying. So i asked Ryo to merge and spoiler it all up(as Ryo doesn't read OP). Its fine now i've been able to read it, but i don't think we should have a spoiler discussion(by this i mean random pages which have been scanned up but not the whole chapter available, rumours as well, if you will), more just a chapter discussion as they get released.

That was exactly trying to do, the topic was clearly marked as ONE PIECE: 574 (Spoilers). Which is easy to see and doesn't spoil for anyone as it clearly marked and can be avoided. Your choice of sticking back in the existing topic means someone can forget to stick spoilers up and they going to ruin for everybody.

That ONE PIECE topic was there to discuss about if you should collect ONE PIECE not to discuss future developments. People new to ONE PIECE only have to look a few pages in and later part of story would be ruined, as someone else had forget about putting spoilers up about the major event.

The whole chapter was already out in full in RAW form and had a quick translation made separately by the time I made the topic. The forum should be run for the community not for the personal wish of one member whose decision could quite easily ruin it for people looking at that topic just to see if it just worth reading ONE PIECE or not.

By that logic, we'll have everyone making new topics for every episode of every anime shown.

the forums do need to be kepts under a certain degree of tidyness

if we don't draw a line somewhere, whats stopping there from being a

"spoilers 575, 576,577 ect ect" thread?

Perhaps that was a bit OTT asking for it to be put on here, fine. I could easily split the topic if necessary and have it as a One piece chapter discussion if it makes things easier. However even then, i'm not a fan of seeing unconfirmed or even confirmed spoilers out when the chapter itself is still not available for us to read. That's my personal opinion, and i shan't deny that. Others may disagree, saying we should be able to discuss the latest spoilers even if they are off, but to be honest, i'd imagine some members here whom read one piece may not want them up.

EDIT: I've gone ahead and split the topics. Now we have a chapter discussion, and if anyone wants to discuss if OP is worth looking into, they can revive the other topic.

ONE PIECE chapter 575 Spoilers:

Source: 2CH (APPRENTICE, guy who usually sends accurate spoilers)
Link: http://apforums.net/showthread.php?t=26396
Verification: CONFIRMED

189:見習い
02/15(月) 13:07
575話 言葉なき怒り
ルフィーは放心状態、そこに赤犬が攻撃、マルコが盾になる。
それを見ていた白髭が無言のまま赤犬に殴りかかる。
赤犬も応戦するが二発でやられる。二発目のパンチは赤犬ごと海軍本部まで大ダメージ。
そして今まで一部始終を見ていた?3人の伝説の囚人+一人+シリュウを連れて、黒髭海賊団登場 。
黒髭「死に目に会えそうで良かったぜ親父」終

(i/N02B,ID:RRF6rGhLO)

Chapter 575: Anger without words
Luffy is at a loss, Akainu takes the chance to attack him, but Marco blocks him.
Whitebeard, who was observing the situation, attacks him without saying a word.
Akainu fights back, but is taken down with two attacks. The second punch sends damage to the entire HQ, and not just Akainu.
Blackbeard pirates, who appears to have been observing the whole deal, appears with three legendary prisoners + Shiryu + another character.
Blackbeard: I'm glad I made it in time to see your death, pops.

http://img63.imageshack.us/img63/9139/w ... 656971.jpg

ARB EDIT: Just spoiler tagged the japanese for those of us who read this and read japanese.

Ryo Chan said:
By that logic, we'll have everyone making new topics for every episode of every anime shown.

the forums do need to be kepts under a certain degree of tidyness

if we don't draw a line somewhere, whats stopping there from being a

"spoilers 575, 576,577 ect ect" thread?

Its only 1 or less new chapter a week for ONE PIECE. Also it frankly not that hard to change the thread title whenever needed, So keep all discussion in one post while changing the thread title to relevant chapter no. of the discussion is up to. I only real including the chapter no. before as in this case its one of the most important event so far in ONE PIECE and I didn't want to spoil it by sticking it in existing topic.

Anyway my thoughts on the latest chapter (575) which is already out.

With Ace dead it does it doesn't feel right that Luffy just collapsed, It made him seem quite weak for someone who going to be the strongest person on the ocean someday. I think at least he should had have gone berserk and roughed up Akainu a bit before collapsing. So at least he demonstrates that with Ace gone he will be the one to lead the new age in future in more triumph fashion.

Back