Official PlayStation Thread (PSN stuff, discussion..etc)

Saw on Anime News Network that PS Now is allowing downloads - what's it like anyone? The streaming aspect is the main thing that's always put me off it, but I would only really be interested in old PS3 games like Lego Indiana Jones and stuff.
Downloading it would makes things a bit smoother, but does anyone know how that kind of thing plays on it?

EDIT - Reading up on this a bit more, it seems you can only download PS4 titles so I suppose this one's out for me :(

Last edited:
PlayStation 5 will launch in the United Kingdom on 19th November 2020 for SRP £449.99 for the disc drive version and £359.99 for the digital version.

The first-party launch titles so far include:
  • Astro Playroom [PS5 exclusive] - Free, included with the system
  • Demon's Souls [PS5 exclusive] - SRP £69.99
  • Destruction AllStars [PS5 exclusive] - SRP £69.99
  • Marvel's Spider-Man: Miles Morales [PS4, PS5] - PS5 SRP £51.99
  • Sackboy: A Big Adventure [PS4, PS5] - PS5 SRP £59.99
Third-party launch titles (between November to December) so far include:
  • Assassin's Creed Valhalla
  • Call of Duty: Black Ops Cold War
  • Devil May Cry V Special Edition [digital, physical coming later]
  • Godfall
  • Puyo Puyo Tetris 2
  • Watch Dogs Legion
New announcements from the PS5 showcase include:
  • Final Fantasy XVI [PS5 console exclusive]
  • Five Nights at Freddy's Security Breach
  • God of War untitled sequel
  • Hogwarts Legacy
In addition, PlayStation Plus owners on PlayStation 5 will also be able to download select PS4 titles:
  • Batman: Arkham Knight
  • Battlefield 1
  • Bloodborne
  • Days Gone
  • Detroit: Become Human
  • Fallout 4
  • Final Fantasy XV
  • God of War
  • inFAMOUS: Second Son
  • The Last Guardian
  • The Last of Us Remastered
  • Monster Hunter: World
  • Mortal Kombat X
  • Persona 5
  • Ratchet & Clank
  • Resident Evil 7: biohazard
  • Uncharted 4: A Thief’s End
  • Until Dawn

Quick question for anyone who owns both a PS4 and PS5. Is it possible to have the same game installed on both consoles for the same account? I'm not talking about playing it on both simultaneously, just whether it will let you have it installed on both at the same time. I'm aware that external drives can be swapped back and forth, but I'm thinking more in terms of having a backup copy as long-term security for digital purchases.

...assuming I can ever get my hands on a PS5, of course.

Quick question for anyone who owns both a PS4 and PS5. Is it possible to have the same game installed on both consoles for the same account? I'm not talking about playing it on both simultaneously, just whether it will let you have it installed on both at the same time. I'm aware that external drives can be swapped back and forth, but I'm thinking more in terms of having a backup copy as long-term security for digital purchases.

...assuming I can ever get my hands on a PS5, of course.

I don't see why not; I have multiple PS4s (don't ask...) and I have the same games installed on all of them. It never asked me to remove anything when I migrated over to the PS5. The only exception might be the handful of games which have specific PS4-PS5 upgrade schemes but I don't own any of those (and doubt that they would bother).

Good luck with the PS5! They're getting a bit more abundant now after the drought of the last few months so hopefully you don't have to wait too much longer :(

R

I don't see why not; I have multiple PS4s (don't ask...) and I have the same games installed on all of them. It never asked me to remove anything when I migrated over to the PS5. The only exception might be the handful of games which have specific PS4-PS5 upgrade schemes but I don't own any of those (and doubt that they would bother).

Good luck with the PS5! They're getting a bit more abundant now after the drought of the last few months so hopefully you don't have to wait too much longer :(

R
Thanks. Whenever I buy a game digitally that turns out to be a favourite, I'm always tempted to buy a disc copy as insurance, but that will be less of an issue if I can essentially back up the games on the next-gen console.

I'm not desperate to get a PS5 yet, but I'd like one in the next year or so, once some more games are released for it. I've been keeping an eye on the sporadic stock drops out of interest, and they're still crashing websites and getting hoovered up in seconds by bots. According to Sony, the supply shortage won't end for at least another year, which isn't surprising considering the ongoing madness with semiconductor supply in general.

I'm not desperate to get a PS5 yet, but I'd like one in the next year or so, once some more games are released for it. I've been keeping an eye on the sporadic stock drops out of interest, and they're still crashing websites and getting hoovered up in seconds by bots. According to Sony, the supply shortage won't end for at least another year, which isn't surprising considering the ongoing madness with semiconductor supply in general.

I can confirm that it can be done without botting because I've bought three so far (for myself and my relatives, not to sell!) from ShopTo, Amazon and Game. The surges during each release are definitely frustrating but I've never ended up empty-handed after a drop so long as I was there when it happened. Amazon was the best since I didn't have to buy an extra controller with it and it was delivered the very next day but it was definitely the diciest when it came to getting the console through the checkout. Shame on the retailers who list £800+ bundles full of trashy games nobody wants. Since I signed up for every stock alert going I occasionally still get email notifications advertising their rip-off deals with invitations to buy ahead of the queue.

R

I'm getting a bit concerned about my PS5. I've only had it two weeks, but three different games have already crashed on me. They're all different types of games by different developers, but the crashes have all happened in a similar situation: while the game is loading a new area and should have been doing an auto-save at the same time. In all cases the save hasn't happened when I next load the game, but it hasn't been corrupted either, so I just pick up from the last auto-save. These have all been soft crashes where the PS5's operating system remains functional.

The games in question are Life is Strange: True Colors (PS5 version), Wreckfest (PS5 version), and Everybody's Gone to the Rapture (PS4 version). All were digital versions, and all were installed on the console's internal SSD. There has only been one crash per game so far though; the auto-save is working the rest of the time. Annoyingly none of those games have a manual save option, so there's nothing I can do to minimise loss of progress. I've also played all the way through FFVII Remake without incident, and that auto-saves frequently.

My best guess is that this is either a bug in the console's firmware or the SSD has a bad sector. If it was the latter, I wouldn't expect multiple games to flat-out crash if they're not able to complete a save successfully, but maybe that's just me.

Has anyone else run into problems like this? Is the PS5 just generally unstable? I've had a search around, but most online discussions about the PS5 crashing focus on when it fails to come out of rest mode. I don't think I had three crashes total in the six years I used my PS4, so this has freaked me out a bit. And to think I used to laugh at all those system stability updates that Sony has rolled out for the PS4 over the years.

Can't help you I'm afraid. I've had my PS5 about 5 months now and I've had no crashes. Played both physical games and digital games with no issues.

When we first got ours I had Ratchet and Clank crash numerous times and iirc someone else from here had Spider-Man crash a lot as well, but I can't say I've experienced problems with any other games.

It looks like I spoke to soon. LiS: TC crashed again, and this time it was just while walking around, so it had nothing to do with auto-save. This time I also noticed that the console's crash report screen does have error codes; I'd just overlooked it before. I also found the error history section in the settings menu. All the PS5 game crashes have the same error code: CE-108255-1. Looking around online, this error seems to have plagued the PS5 since launch.

Sony's official definition is, "There may be a problem with your application or console...", while elsewhere I found this description, "PS5 error CE-108255-1 indicates your game has crashed and the console needs to force close it. This error could be triggered by corrupted game files, game update files that did not install properly, software conflict or hardware failure." It sounds an awful lot like one of those catch-all codes that just means they have no clue, and it could be caused by anything.

Sony's page for this code offers the usual generic touble-shooting steps, while I've seen a whole bizarre laundry list of potential fixes elsewhere that range from plausible to desperate techo-superstition. I guess I'll have to start working my way through that list...

Grr, my bad luck with electronics rears its ugly head again.

After five months of slowly working my way through all the possible troubleshooting options, I've hit the end of the line and have to conclude that my PS5 has had a hardware fault since day one. I'm not looking forward to trying to send it in for repair. I've had repeated crashes on seven different games and the console's own disc player app, but I was lucky to get a PS5 with a quiet system fan and not too much coil whine (not to mention I was lucky to get one at all). If they replace it with a refurbished unit, who knows what I'll end up with, or how long I'll have to wait considering the ongoing supply shortages.

Of course the process of arranging for a repair isn't straightforward. I can't do it online, and Sony have seemingly deleted the 'contact us' page that lists the office hours for their phone line, so I'll have to keep ringing at different times until someone answers. I tried calling this morning, but they're not open.

Back