New preview released for the upcoming Prison School anime

Re: New preview released for the upcoming Prison School anim

I've found it's much easier and more relaxing for me to just ignore media I dislike rather than expending effort actively hating it. That doesn't make for very interesting discussion though, so it's nice to see a new generation of low post count combatants like IncendiaryLemon and qaiz who aren't afraid to speak their minds. The forums have been at peace for too long.

Guess I'd better watch this trailer now.

ayase said:
I've found it's much easier and more relaxing for me to just ignore media I dislike rather than expending effort actively hating it. That doesn't make for very interesting discussion though, so it's nice to see a new generation of low post count combatants like IncendiaryLemon and qaiz who aren't afraid to speak their minds. The forums have been at peace for too long.

Guess I'd better watch this trailer now.

I guess it just stems from the idea that, because I'm stuck in the past, nobody really cares to talk about the stuff that appeals to me, and why would they? It would be weird if everything revolved around me, but surly somebody wants to talk about Romeo's Blue Skies, surly? In the end I get pretty lonely and bored and I guess in that sense I like to speak my mind since I know I can be controversial, but hell at least it gets me into a conversation where I can talk, if just for a bit. And if I become a heel and come out the bad guy, that's fine. Its not about trying to agitate people on purpose, far from it. I've just learned that nobody really cares about what I have to say unless its something that stands out, as a catalyst to spark more discussion, so I just speak my mind. Some of the most fun I've had in anime threads where ones where I discussed why I hated Lagann so much, because it allowed me to express myself. Maybe not fun for them, but I enjoyed the discussion. Of course eventually people get tired of that rhetoric. Sigh...

Even if they've not always attracted a huge number of replies, I can assure you many of us have read and appreciated your posts on older shows, to the point of interest in rewatching or even buying things for the first time.

I think I can also speak for the ajax chat crew in saying you'd be welcome to join us on that sometime if you want, but be warned that it tends to fluctuate between 'nobody is on' and 'everybody is on at once'...

Rui said:
(my taste isn't exactly highbrow).

But you like Gundam. For this, ALL manner of concessions can be made.

I think I understand the frustration. It's not quite the same thing, but most of my real-life friends are hardcore gamers and while I, too, am a hardcore gamer by any reasonable measure of the term, I only seem to play games that nobody I know likes, plays or talks about. This brings about a situation where I don't know any of the big titles and get treated as though I don't know what I'm talking about, even though I simply don't play the latest hot PC games because I personally think they all suck.

It's a little annoying when you buy the (expensive) Madoka BDs and watch them all and come out thinking "Well, that was ok. I liked it about as much as Cuticle Detective Inaba, perhaps less because there weren't enough villainous goats." only to find that everyone you know thinks you're insane whenever you mention this. Some shows are apparently universally considered 'essential' even when there are swathes of fans who don't enjoy them; it's tedious to be told that your opinion is weird all the time. It's still not right to lash out at the individual people who happen to like the latest sleazy flavour of the month title which adds nothing to the medium* just because they keep pressuring everyone - successfully - to watch an annoying show.

On the topic of underappreciated gems not getting the recognition (or number of threads) they deserve, I think part of that is how few people get to see them. The mass market shows tend to get picked up for streaming all over the world and fast-tracked to home video, whereas not having the 'Ghibli' label dooms pretty much all classic shows to eternal obscurity unless they have some connection to a modern title which piques someone's interest.

I will freely admit that while I would love to see Romeo's Blue Skies it's hard to justify spending money on it blind when it lacks any obvious 'appeal points' like attractive characters or popular seiyuu links; I'm a sleazy person and that's part of what makes me decide which titles to pick up each month. I love classic shows but I need to be able to filter the average ones from the truly fantastic, and it's bally hard with so little support from the industry. In that respect, Qaiz's painstaking introductions may not get many responses, but they're extraordinarily helpful for spreading awareness of these overlooked titles that the rest of the fandom rarely mentions. Professor Irony is right about them making people think about heading to Amazon and seeing what's available that they might not have considered buying before.

I'm also sympathetic to IncendiaryLemon's viewpoint here as no matter what the underlying cause, it's upsetting to have people trashing a series you like (especially without warning). An anime adaptation should be a happy time for Prison School fans and it's human nature to be shocked when someone else suddenly lashes out against it for no apparent reason. Since nobody's forcing anyone to watch an anime they don't like it's harsh to take out frustrations about the industry and fandom on fans of one particular title. If anything perhaps it would be better to frame it as a separate debate; let the Prison School fans have their moment, but voice your concerns on the problems of peer pressure and pandering in a separate thread which they can avoid without missing out on discussing the latest preview videos. I'm sure plenty of the older, grouchier regulars would be up for that kind of discussion.

* I have no idea whether this actually applies to Prison School.

HdE said:
Rui said:
(my taste isn't exactly highbrow).

But you like Gundam. For this, ALL manner of concessions can be made.

Surely there are only two types of people in the world: those who like Gundam, and those who have yet to awaken to their inner liking of Gundam?!

R

Rui said:
and while I, too, am a hardcore gamer by any reasonable measure of the term
The point where this logic falls apart is that there is no reasonable measure of the term.

IncendiaryLemon said:
Also, sidenote, I cannot fathom why on earth you'd consider Madoka to be bad in the slightest. It's one of the few shows I give a 10/10. It's pretty much perfect in my eyes.
Madoka is, ultimately, a Magical Girl show. It's very hard to have a work rooted firmly in a niche genre (see: Horror movies. Point-and-Click Adventure games) and expect it to appeal to everyone, completely regardless of quality.

Rui said:
I'm sure plenty of the older, grouchier regulars would be up for that kind of discussion.
Whoever would you be talking about there Rui? For what it's worth, your experience of Madoka sounds pretty much identical to mine.

I've gotten used to people not really wanting to talk about the same stuff I do, it's probably why I no longer post as much on the topics of specific shows. If I'm just going to make a comment and nobody's going to reply, I stop seeing the point in expending the effort to turn my thoughts into text or speech.

AUKN is like a small town rather than a city, with all the positive and negative elements that brings. We might not get as much discussion as the big forums, but it's nice because with a smaller number of regulars it's pretty easy to learn others' tastes, how similar they are to your own and therefore who's recommendations are going to apply to you. We have a better sense of community here I think. But of course, that can also lead to people falling out and taking their grievances with them to other topics and threads, which is probably something to try and avoid. I do love a good argument, but there's never any point in making things personal or indeed taking things personally.

ayase said:
If I'm just going to make a comment and nobody's going to reply, I stop seeing the point in expending the effort to turn my thoughts into text or speech.
Don't do this! This is why 95% of the viewing journal thread is just some kind of partially filled in database.

Well, I found this thread interesting even if it didn't technically have much to do with Prison School specifically.

I guess I agree with most of what Rui said.

I also enjoy reading people's views about shows but it can be tough to get into a discussion if it's not something you've seen before. By the time you find a way to watch the show (not always easy, especially with older stuff) and get through, it the discussion has often moved on. I suppose it's a bit easier if you're talking about more general topics that could cover a variety of shows, that way you might be able to go through a list and find shows that people have actually seen then go from there.

I have a habit of not getting around to watching popular things because I'm never sure if I'm in the right frame of mind for them, I find it's easier to watch something if I can put any expectations out of my mind and just appreciate the content. Still, at least I'm less likely to be disappointed but then it makes it even more difficult to get in on the discussions than if I'd at least watched and not enjoyed a show.

I'm not really sure about the "all attention is good attention" idea. If you're just commenting to get a response then there's a good chance you're not really adding anything to the discussion, which would make your post the equivalent to that anime that gets a lot of attention but doesn't add anything to the medium. Still, maybe the secret is that both actually have value and it's just not as clear what that value may be. Anyway, when people read a post that is deliberately aimed at causing conflict then they're likely to respond in kind and it's more likely to just move people further from a worthwhile discussion. I guess it might still be enjoyable for some but I'm not really convinced that anyone would genuinely prefer that (it's more likely to be an alternative for when they can't get what they want). That was one thing that I found a little more impressive about the way this thread went.

With regard to feeling that people aren't reading what you've written, I wonder if forums would benefit from a "like" system similar to social media. I'm not really a fan of that sort of thing but I suppose it's nice to be able to let someone know that you read and enjoyed their post even if you have nothing to add (a short agreement post can work but it's easy for that to get excessive and bury a popular post, defeating the point).

Anyway, I can rarely read a "heated" (for want of a better word) thread and come out feeling good but this one has done pretty well so far so I'd like to say well done folks.

ilmaestro said:
It's very hard to have a work rooted firmly in a niche genre (see: Horror movies. Point-and-Click Adventure games) and expect it to appeal to everyone, completely regardless of quality.
What, not even Grim Fandango? (or does it not count as point and click because of the weird keyboard turning controls, which are kind of awesome in themselves).

Between sales figures of the original game, and some of the more insightful sections of some reviews I read of the remake, sadly I think GF only serves to hammer home that point.

Smeelia said:
If you're just commenting to get a response then there's a good chance you're not really adding anything to the discussion, which would make your post the equivalent to that anime that gets a lot of attention but doesn't add anything to the medium. Still, maybe the secret is that both actually have value and it's just not as clear what that value may be.

This sounds dangerously spot on.

R

And they have most of the Shirobako team tapped on this one.

A veritable banquet of do not want.

Interesting discussion. It's not my kind of show, but I'm not gonna **** on people for liking it. The world would be very boring if everyone liked the same stuff. I tend to be a firm believer in the notion that you should at least attempt to watch/read something before you criticise it, even if it's just one episode or a couple of chapters. Otherwise, your criticisms have no evidence to back them up and therefore are not of much value to me.

Don't think this is really my thing but on the subject I've never used anime trailers to decide on whether to buy a series or not.
First I look at reviews to get a general gist and, regardless of whether it's got a good score, if it interests me I'll seek out and watch a couple of episodes only then do I decide whether to buy it or not.

I've really enjoyed some pretty bad anime over the years (such as Dears) and really couldn't get into some well reviewed anime (Gurren Lagann) so taste, or lack of, always plays a part.

I watch anime to be entertained, not to find acceptance or validation of my own personal tastes and views.

I'll say this much, my judgement actually comes from what I've seen of the Manga and less to do with the trailer itself, although I found the ending of the trailer to be super disgusting.

I'm probably the only one here who's actually interested in giving this series a shot. The first volume is out in July by Yen Press so I'll pick that up if I'm liking it. I took a look on Google to see how 'interesting' the series is and I must say I am intrigued to see how the anime will handle them.

I'm shocked at the reaction, elsewhere people are real hyped and excited .. everyone's different I guess!

I'm excited for the adaption, usually that amount of fan service puts me off but It looks trashy, crazy, ridiculous & funny! plus hearing rumblings that a psychological tagline should be added intrigues me.

I was totally in this for the femdom but I'm having second thoughts now cuz I don't wanna be judged and dismissed by random peoples on the internetz ;_;

ilmaestro said:
ayase said:
If I'm just going to make a comment and nobody's going to reply, I stop seeing the point in expending the effort to turn my thoughts into text or speech.
Don't do this! This is why 95% of the viewing journal thread is just some kind of partially filled in database.

This! Come on ayase, you were the one rallying against that trend with me!

And Qaiz, you get more love than most on this forum, what are you talking about!? I believe I even gave you a 10/10 in the review thread. Couple that with the praise Prof has given your posts, and it's basically like you're a young rapper who has been visited by the ghosts of Biggie and 2pac who have said to you "you're minty mate, keep up the good work". Is that not enough!?

Unless I missed something in this thread people haven't mentioned what to me is the real negative point about this, that is the terrible animation, it looks more like some kind of motion comic than a proper show. What was the budget for the animation about 5 Yen! Lack of detail in the characters & stilted movements seem apparent to me in the trailer.

Back