New preview released for the upcoming Prison School anime

Re: The News Thread (for news that does not need a thread)

Yeah all I'm going to say on the matter is that Prison School looks like garbage and I question the people who read the manga or watch this series. Ugh....

Personally, I don't think it looks THAT bad. It's kind of hard to judge the tone. The way the trailer is cut together, the music and the effects, it looks like a serious show but I thought it was meant to be a comedy going by the actual contents of the trailer. If they go the comedy route it might be decent, but I'll admit it doesn't like like my cup of tea.

Nope, looks like garbage to me. The kind of rubbish that gets anime stuck with a bad name.

Art style seems reminiscent of Attack on Titan? Wasn't a huge fan of that style...

Lavigne said:
Nope, looks like garbage to me. The kind of rubbish that gets anime stuck with a bad name.
Yeah I really don't get it. I believe in creative freedom and the idea that consumers can watch/read whatever they want, but damn I can only bend so far before I snap. Makes me feel really alienated, as the forums I go on are just raving about this, telling me that its legit funny and smart...like yeah right. Shows like this actually make me irrationally angry, but in the end you're just talking to a brick wall. Prison School is the worst.

qaiz said:
Lavigne said:
Yeah I really don't get it. I believe in creative freedom and the idea that consumers can watch/read whatever they want, but damn I can only bend so far before I snap. Makes me feel really alienated, as the forums I go on are just raving about this, telling me that its legit funny and smart...like yeah right. Shows like this actually make me irrationally angry, but in the end you're just talking to a brick wall. Prison School is the worst.

Maybe you should actually watch an episode or read a bit of the manga before writing it off completely. Trailers can be misleading. A comedy is reliant on dialogue, which the trailer doesn't have much of and it isn't subbed. It could be be funny and smart but you won't know unless you actually try watching/reading.

IncendiaryLemon said:
Maybe you should actually watch an episode or read a bit of the manga before writing it off completely. Trailers can be misleading. A comedy is reliant on dialogue, which the trailer doesn't have much of and it isn't subbed. It could be be funny and smart but you won't know unless you actually try watching/reading.

Lol you can't even force me to watch or read this garbage, I mean why should I go out of my way to watch something that looks like trash to me? Why waste my time with that drivel when I have a massive backlog of amazing titles that actually strives to be something more than...whatever that strives to be. Things can be smart and funny and witty without degrading itself.

qaiz said:
IncendiaryLemon said:

Lol you can't even force me to watch or read this garbage, I mean why should I go out of my way to watch something that looks like trash to me? Why waste my time with that drivel when I have a massive backlog of amazing titles that actually strives to be something more than...whatever that strives to be. Things can be smart and funny and witty without degrading itself.

I don't think I ever intended to force you. I'm just saying give it a chance. You've seen a minute of it. You say that a majority of people on other forums you visit like it and think it's funny. The majority isn't always correct but there must be *something* there if people are looking forward to it. I just think you shouldn't be too closed minded about what you watch. I used to think Slice of Life was garbage. I wrote K-On off as nothing but a waste of time. Now it's one of my favourite shows ever. This show probably isn't going to be amazing like you think whatever 80's shows in your backlog are but all I'm saying is it might not be 'drivel' or 'garbage'. There may be something to it. It might not be to your liking but saying there isn't anything worthwhile in a show you haven't seen and that you would question anyone who watches it is a little extreme.

IncendiaryLemon said:
I don't think I ever intended to force you. I'm just saying give it a chance. You've seen a minute of it. You say that a majority of people on other forums you visit like it and think it's funny. The majority isn't always correct but there must be *something* there if people are looking forward to it. I just think you shouldn't be too closed minded about what you watch. I used to think Slice of Life was garbage. I wrote K-On off as nothing but a waste of time. Now it's one of my favourite shows ever. This show probably isn't going to be amazing like you think whatever 80's shows in your backlog are but all I'm saying is it might not be 'drivel' or 'garbage'. There may be something to it. It might not be to your liking but saying there isn't anything worthwhile in a show you haven't seen and that you would question anyone who watches it is a little extreme.

I like being extreme, it's worked well for me thus far in filtering out the trash, it's not my fault if everybody else has low standards. I've seen enough of it, and I'm happy dismissing it and everybody who gives it the time of day. Yes I'm mad.

Nah, the usual approach will be employed for this one. Don't care for the trailer so won't bother checking it out further. Too much anime and not enough time - I can't get around to watching the stuff that I genuinely want to watch, let alone stuff that hasn't grabbed me.

Of course if I hear good word of mouth I'd be happy to re-evaluate, but based on the trailer, which I accept is just the surface of it, then it doesn't interest me enough to investigate it any further. :)

qaiz said:
IncendiaryLemon said:

I like being extreme, it's worked well for me thus far in filtering out the trash, it's not my fault if everybody else has low standards. I've seen enough of it, and I'm happy dismissing it and everybody who gives it the time of day. Yes I'm mad.

I'm also mad that you're being so extreme. You just sound so incredibly elitist. Man, and you thought you were talking to a brick wall...

Trailers are supposed to sell you on a product. If it can't do that then the product isn't for you.
Much like a Hollywood movie, if I don't see anything in the trailer I like, I won't watch the movie.

I think the trailer looks awful and is trying too hard to be funny.

...What did I start here?

To clarify, I'm a firm believer in giving just about everything a chance (heck, I gave Kiseijuu a chance and the PV of that made me feel sick - as did the start of the anime itself, leading to it being one of my fastest drops of last year) and this will be no exception. But I must say that I would be really surprised if I even made it to the end of the first episode.

Also, it's not only the PV that puts me off, it's the whole concept of it.

Still, stranger things have happened and there have been anime before that I expected to drop on episode 1 but which I ended up actually enjoying from start to finish.

IncendiaryLemon said:
I'm also mad that you're being so extreme. You just sound so incredibly elitist. Man, and you thought you were talking to a brick wall...
If the way I go about things makes me an elitist, then so be it. I dish a lot of 10's out and I'm pretty open for the most part with the things that I watch, spanning from the 70's, 80's, 90's and so on. From mecha to slice of life and over the top action, horror and romance. Texhnolyze and GTO to Gunbuster and Macross. As long as I enjoy something, I'll hold it in high regards. Doesn't matter about the quality of the animation or what have you, doesn't even need too have the best story of all time, just as long as it makes me smile, or cry or feel any emotion I'll hold it in high regards, contrary to an elitist mentality. I've watched things that I've never even heard of, like Twilight Q and I've also watched things that I've heard a lot about and have given things a chance. A recent example being Space Dandy, a show which I thought looked like crap, but hey I purchased the CE BD last night and will give it a go. I do give things a chance and don't subscribe to this notion that popular is bad. Far from it.

For me, it's all about being optimistic. As long as I go into something with a positive mindset, I generally enjoy it. So when I don't feel positive vibes from something, why watch it? All it does is become a self-fulfilling prophesy. "I knew that this would be bad!" is how it usually ends. It happened with Madoka. I went into it with negativity and absolutely hated it, I gave it my lowest rating to date, along with Lagann which funnily enough was something I was hyped beyond belief for prior to watching it. Even then, I understand why people like those shows, I can see what attracts people to them, and they have moments that even I see as being good, if not great.

I don't care about things being the best, I just ask for effort. You don't have to produce a life changing Ghibli film, or some masterpiece like Grave of the Fireflies of Royal Space Force, just strive to amount to something more than something that'll be regurgitated for a few months and then forgotten, a glorified meme. It's impossible to quantify such a thing, so I just have to go with my gut feeling. That may mean that I miss out on amazing shows and films, but I'm fine with that. I like finding things to watch and listen to naturally, with optimism and a bounce in my step. I could be wrong about Prison School, an maybe it's a cool show, but I do feel a sense of pride, not wanting to touch fan service and 'lewd' shows as to contribute to its popularity. It's not what I care for, it's not why I was attracted to animation and anime all those years ago. Snapshot judgements will mean I will miss out on a lot of content, but I'm fine with that, you can't watch everything after all.

qaiz said:
IncendiaryLemon said:
If the way I go about things makes me an elitist, then so be it. I dish a lot of 10's out and I'm pretty open for the most part with the things that I watch, spanning from the 70's, 80's, 90's and so on. From mecha to slice of life and over the top action, horror and romance. Texhnolyze and GTO to Gunbuster and Macross. As long as I enjoy something, I'll hold it in high regards. Doesn't matter about the quality of the animation or what have you, doesn't even need too have the best story of all time, just as long as it makes me smile, or cry or feel any emotion I'll hold it in high regards, contrary to an elitist mentality. I've watched things that I've never even heard of, like Twilight Q and I've also watched things that I've heard a lot about and have given things a chance. A recent example being Space Dandy, a show which I thought looked like crap, but hey I purchased the CE BD last night and will give it a go. I do give things a chance and don't subscribe to this notion that popular is bad. Far from it.

For me, it's all about being optimistic. As long as I go into something with a positive mindset, I generally enjoy it. So when I don't feel positive vibes from something, why watch it? All it does is become a self-fulfilling prophesy. "I knew that this would be bad!" is how it usually ends. It happened with Madoka. I went into it with negativity and absolutely hated it, I gave it my lowest rating to date, along with Lagann which funnily enough was something I was hyped beyond belief for prior to watching it. Even then, I understand why people like those shows, I can see what attracts people to them, and they have moments that even I see as being good, if not great.

I don't care about things being the best, I just ask for effort. You don't have to produce a life changing Ghibli film, or some masterpiece like Grave of the Fireflies of Royal Space Force, just strive to amount to something more than something that'll be regurgitated for a few months and then forgotten, a glorified meme. It's impossible to quantify such a thing, so I just have to go with my gut feeling. That may mean that I miss out on amazing shows and films, but I'm fine with that. I like finding things to watch and listen to naturally, with optimism and a bounce in my step. I could be wrong about Prison School, an maybe it's a cool show, but I do feel a sense of pride, not wanting to touch fan service and 'lewd' shows as to contribute to its popularity. It's not what I care for, it's not why I was attracted to animation and anime all those years ago. Snapshot judgements will mean I will miss out on a lot of content, but I'm fine with that, you can't watch everything after all.

All that's fine, but when you're actively saying that you won't give the time of day to anyone who would watch the show that makes you sound like a dick.

Also, sidenote, I cannot fathom why on earth you'd consider Madoka to be bad in the slightest. It's one of the few shows I give a 10/10. It's pretty much perfect in my eyes.

Re: New preview released for the upcoming Prison School anim

I personally found Madoka 'average'. It's definitely well made and I can see where it blew minds - especially since I watched it with a friend who fell in love with it instantly. But it didn't change my life or get me really fired up in any way.

Until this afternoon, Prison School wasn't particularly on my radar. I'd assumed I'd check it out if it got a UK-friendly stream and quite possibly like it (my taste isn't exactly highbrow). Given the divisive opinions in this thread I decided to check out the trailer and... well, it doesn't seem very good, but it also doesn't seem like the worst thing I've ever seen. I'm still slightly confused about it, if anything.

I was not expecting this passionate discussion to arise out of a single one-liner trailer post o_O;;

R

Re: New preview released for the upcoming Prison School anim

Certainly didn't expect this when I posted the trailer either. Fwiw, while there's no denying the ridiculous levels of fan-service, I wouldn't have stuck with the manga if I didn't think there was something more to it. What starts as a dirty joke develops genuine pathos as it goes along and consistently riffs on genre prison movies to great effect, as the 'convicts' attempts to escape become ever more contrived and outlandish.

I dare say it will take a certain sense of humour to appreciate it, but it's not for nothing that it picked up the 2013 kodansha award.

IncendiaryLemon said:
All that's fine, but when you're actively saying that you won't give the time of day to anyone who would watch the show that makes you sound like a dick.
I'll admit that much, but I'm an incredibly bitter person and a very emotional one, and when you rely heavily on emotions, it works both ways. I love things with a passion, singing their praises to no end, but at the same time if somebody/something pisses me off, that hate goes deep. I hold grudges, I'm obviously not a good person.

Also, sidenote, I cannot fathom why on earth you'd consider Madoka to be bad in the slightest. It's one of the few shows I give a 10/10. It's pretty much perfect in my eyes.

It was incredibly boring, I can see how if you went into it when it first came out how it would blow minds, considering the people behind it and how it was billed to be a cute show when one of the guys working on it was known for this type of thing, shows full of despair. I guess people didn't know what to expect. I found it incredibly boring and dull, from the music to the designs and story, but I can see why people like it.

Back