New Forums: Bugs, Feedback, and Questions

Teapot

Moon Bunny
Administrator
Also known as the "Teapot broke it" thread. :D

In order to keep track of things that need to be done, I've started this thread for any feedback, suggestions, complaints, bug reports, and so on regarding the forums. If you've previously reported issues, it'd be useful to repost them there for future reference :)

Currently, my known issues are:
  • Can't uncover inline spoilers on mobile
  • Inline spoilers don't blur out on IE11
I may have forgotten some, hence this thread. ;)

Last edited:
Two slight issues I have noticed. I am running Firefox on Linux.

The first is on the main page of the forums, the latest postings have part of the bottom line of trimmed off.
RecentPostings.png
The second is if the page numbers goes over 100 they can overlap on the page select bar, on the thread view page.

I am running Firefox on Linux.
I'm afraid this is the issue – the default XenForo theme we use hasn't been tested on Linux, so it expects a set of fonts that don't exist. If you're on Ubuntu or Mint, you can install the ttf-mscorefonts-installer package to get the fonts we need here – it should help clean up quite a few other sites too :) If not, let me know which distribution you run and I'm sure we can sort something out.

I'm afraid this is the issue – the default XenForo theme we use hasn't been tested on Linux, so it expects a set of fonts that don't exist. If you're on Ubuntu or Mint, you can install the ttf-mscorefonts-installer package to get the fonts we need here – it should help clean up quite a few other sites too :) If not, let me know which distribution you run and I'm sure we can sort something out.

I am running Mint Debian, but it includes that package, and installing it has fixed the page number. The latest posting on the main page are still have the bottom being trimmed off.

Thank you for the help.

I don't know how to delete old conversations in my inbox? I select them but can't delete them. :s

When you select a message, you should get this overlay
pQCbtw3.png

Click on the dropdown and then click on Leave Conversation:
nwIkMnk.png

Then press go. Should disappear from your inbox.

A couple of issues I'm experiencing:

1. Formatting Issues on Android (Tablet and Phone, under Chrome & Adblock Browsers)
Often if I create a line break it'll do it after the first word of that paragraph instead of before, resulting in the rest of the sentence dropping to the line below and once that happens there's no way to bring it back up short of copy-pasting as trying to just starts deleting the word on the line above. I've had other formatting issues too with trying to write on android but that's the only one I can remember off the top of my head.

2. Latest Post issues (Android & PC multiple browsers)
The sorting doesn't work very well. Sometimes it'll state the date even if it's today's date (e.g posted 27th September 12:15) other times it'll state Posted x minutes/hours ago. When using the sort function to sort by latest posts it doesn't always put the latest at the top so I have to scroll down the first page to find the latest post which can take a little time when combined with it showing the date rather than posted X minutes/hours ago.

1. Formatting Issues on Android (Tablet and Phone, under Chrome & Adblock Browsers)
Often if I create a line break it'll do it after the first word of that paragraph instead of before, resulting in the rest of the sentence dropping to the line below and once that happens there's no way to bring it back up short of copy-pasting as trying to just starts deleting the word on the line above. I've had other formatting issues too with trying to write on android but that's the only one I can remember off the top of my head.
I'll see if there's anything that can be done, but to be honest the rich text editor has always been a bit finicky on mobile, and the complexity of it means that there'll always be some gremlins. The button at the far right of the toolbar will disable it if you're having trouble, so you can use that as a workaround for now. :)

2. Latest Post issues (Android & PC multiple browsers)
The sorting doesn't work very well. Sometimes it'll state the date even if it's today's date (e.g posted 27th September 12:15) other times it'll state Posted x minutes/hours ago. When using the sort function to sort by latest posts it doesn't always put the latest at the top so I have to scroll down the first page to find the latest post which can take a little time when combined with it showing the date rather than posted X minutes/hours ago.
At a guess, it probably only appears that there's a sorting issue because of the sticky threads. The forum puts all sticky threads (with the red pin) at the top of the list, then all the non-sticky threads. As both are sorted independently (they act like separate lists), the result is that the oldest sticky will appear above the newest non-sticky thread. Might that be the cause?

Oh, as an update, I've gotten inline spoilers working properly on iOS at long last – sorry about the delay! They still don't work properly on IE11, but I'm sure we can find a fix for that issue :)

Thanks for looking into it. I did wonder what that button did (I actually pressed it earlier because I thought it might have something to do with that but it didn't change anything.)

I'll have to get back to you on whether or not it's a sticky thing but I don't think it is as I'm sure I've seen newer threads slip inbetween them. A thread I posted in earlier changed within about 15 minutes from posted X ago to posted on the 28th September XXXX but other threads I have seen are saying just the time posted hours later.

I'll have to get back to you on whether or not it's a sticky thing but I don't think it is as I'm sure I've seen newer threads slip inbetween them. A thread I posted in earlier changed within about 15 minutes from posted X ago to posted on the 28th September XXXX but other threads I have seen are saying just the time posted hours later.
Would you mind grabbing a screenshot for me the next time that happens? The friendly dates should either all work or not work at all – it's odd that it'd work for some dates but not others!

Sorry for the delay. I've been unable to reproduce the errors I mentioned for the past few days. If it happens again in the future I'll make sure I do grab a screenshot. Thanks for looking into it.

@Teapot I noticed when browsing this site on my Kindle Fire, it doesn't really display properly

TmnOfPa.png

uoTglMB.png

It's still usable, it just looks a bit of a mess in places. Is there any way to make it a bit more optimised for devices with lower resolution screens?

Well that's odd. Did something change on the signature length that can be used Teapot ? Just tried to edit mine to change Hummingbird to Kitsu and so it should have less characters now, but got an error message stating that my signature was 23 characters too long.

I recently changed the signature restrictions to be tighter, yes – the limit is 200 characters now, although that includes BBCodes. I'll raise this with staff to see whether we can raise it a bit. :)

Back