New article: The UK DVD Market - Sorry, how much?!

Curry Man said:
I'd hate British dubs...I have to hear all these crappy accents all day - I'd much rather hear an American range of voices.

:lol: That made me laugh. Though in Britain, from what ive heard there are so many different accents, they are all new to me :lol: bar the 'classics'

Welsh accent ftw!!

Yay for the valleys!!

Although I don't have the welsh accent; heres a funny video with it anyway xD

<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/YqTTEMmbXOc&rel=1"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/YqTTEMmbXOc&rel=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>

Curry Man said:
I'd hate British dubs...I have to hear all these crappy accents all day - I'd much rather hear an American range of voices.
whoah, where do you live, remind me to steer clear. (probably full of chavs, talkin' like dis)
When a movie with a large budget employs British accents (or severely limits US ones), I actually rejoice. Lord of The Rings and Gladiator are the biggest examples that come to mind. Proof that British accents are far from crappy. (and I might add that these films aren't set in Britain, refuting those of you who wish to confine the British accent to a British setting)
P.S. Woo! Taff Wars! May the Leek be with you?

Thats a pretty interesting article.
i finally get a clear idea on how much the BBFC charge the publishers, studios etc, for classifying the age for each episode and might i add....its bloody expensive.

what i would be happy with, is if the uk releases have more episodes per release, and premiuim items like the folks in the US and Japan get all at a reasonable price.

First post, wooo!!

Anywho...

what i would be happy with, is if the uk releases have more episodes per release, and premiuim items like the folks in the US and Japan get all at a reasonable price.

Japan actually have their anime DVD prices much higher than the US, and even the UK (Gasp!). They also have fewer episodes per volume released, which could make a 13 episode series span over 4/5 volumes.

ryuzaki said:
First post, wooo!!

Anywho...

Japan actually have their anime DVD prices much higher than the US, and even the UK (Gasp!). They also have fewer episodes per volume released, which could make a 13 episode series span over 4/5 volumes.
5 volumes for a 13 episode series? I have Japanese releases of 13 episodes spread over 7 volumes. (1 volume with 1 episode and 6 volumes with 2 episodes.) 4 volumes is one of the popular (ie largely used) US models, releasing 4 episodes on the first volume and 3 episodes on the remaining three volumes.

ryuzaki said:
First post, wooo!!

Anywho...

i know that. but what i said was premium items, as in extra items packed in with the dvd when you purchase, such as a soundtrack CD for example.

Ninja Boy! said:
ryuzaki said:
First post, wooo!!

Anywho...

i know that. but what i said was premium items, as in extra items packed in with the dvd when you purchase, such as a soundtrack CD for example.

Thats the first pressings only; they usually sell out pretty fast(for most popular shows).

For people who feel sorry for the Japaneses who pay more for their anime dvd's they do pay considerably less for their manga.

For example something like berserk manga to import over from the USA would cost at a discount price of £5.50 The Japaneses pay with no discount £2.50 a book.

To be fair manga is way bigger than anime industry, a lot manga of volumes sell close or over 1 million each. Volume 25 of ONE PIECE sold a record of 2,630,000 for the first print alone.

Zen 2nd said:
I think with Revelation Films they have 5 episodes per disc across the board.
That is not so. Many volume ones and some volume twos have 5 episodes per disc but the majority have 4 episodes. Fullmetal Alchemist was released at 4 episodes a disc for every volume, which is a mirror of how FUNimation released it in the US.

kurosaki86 said:
Ninja Boy! said:
ryuzaki said:
First post, wooo!!

Anywho...

Thats the first pressings only; they usually sell out pretty fast(for most popular shows).

yeah. nonetheless i would like to see more limited edition items bundled with some of the releases we get. it would be a nice incentive for the late release schedule the UK market has also it would be a way to make more fans purchase UK anime products instead of imports.
for example, that gundam seed boxset Beez announced seems very interesting, but that price is a bit steep. still i may have to purchase it :p
if they cant do that then at least...more episodes or discs per release :)

I wouldn't import if they actually licensed worthwhile series over here, like Please Teacher. The types of anime that they have special offers on don't interest me.

your not wrong about the manga i could hardly believe some of the prices at london expo 18 pounds for a sayiuki special art book that cost only 480 yen i mean come on thats thats gotta actually be stealing thats a dispraportianed price increase if ever i saw one :twisted:

A very simple and no effort way of getting people to not import is also to just announce series they are acquiring or even looking at as soon as possible. If people think there is a series not coming out in england they might import it but then it could be acquired not too long after but announced too late for them to change there mind.

A very simple and no effort way of getting people to not import is also to just announce series they are acquiring or even looking at as soon as possible.

^ This.

It may be harder to actually put into practice, but I would definitely hold off getting R1 copies if I knew much sooner that an anime was going to get a UK release.

seems like the only thing that we sell cheaper is the manga (from companies like Tanoshimi or Orion books)
and even then they're printed and bound in Germany

YEAA!! for the big £1 difference

Back