New article: The UK DVD Market - Sorry, how much?!

I'd say people would sharply stop importing if their goods were more often hit with import and customs tax but due to the vast amount of items being imported and exported only random spot checks can take place.

Zen 2nd said:
I'd say people would sharply stop importing if their goods were more often hit with import and customs tax but due to the vast amount of items being imported and exported only random spot checks can take place.

Well, for me, I'd stop importing If titles were released quicker and cheaper in the UK.

Let's look at this; I could go to an american based website, pay £18 for Haruhi LE Volume 1, plus £5 shipping and have it here in a week, or I could wait until May and pay £35 for it.

I used to get £30+ custom bills off fedex for my orders hitting over the £150/£200 mark, but the fact is, it still worked out cheaper and quicker than ordering UK equivalents/waiting for teh UK release.

kurosaki86 said:
Zen 2nd said:

Well, for me, I'd stop importing If titles were released quicker and cheaper in the UK.

Let's look at this; I could go to an american based website, pay £18 for Haruhi LE Volume 1, plus £5 shipping and have it here in a week, or I could wait until May and pay £35 for it.

I used to get £30+ custom bills off fedex for my orders hitting over the £150/£200 mark, but the fact is, it still worked out cheaper and quicker than ordering UK equivalents/waiting for teh UK release.

Have to agree. I moan when I get hit with the charges, but if I spread out the £70-£100 a year which I end up coughing up in charges over all the DVDs I buy in a year I still come out on top.

As for things making it through without charges if it is over the £18 limit, that is happening less and less as the Royal Mail get to charge £8 on top of the duty so it is well worth their time keeping an eye out because as far as I can tell it is unlikely to cost them £8 in work. Although I have a go about Royal Mail, UPS have always been far worse on their charges when I have been unlucky enough for them to have been used.

Although going along with this thread for me the wait has always been a bigger deterrent than the money (just helps with current exchange rates), as I don't watch fansubs I always want to get my hands on the official releases for the things everybody have been raving about as soon as possible

Back