New Anime Releases 06/07/09

But it's a really nice box. Of a really good series.

I'm very happy because this is the kind of quality people who are willing to buy single volumes should be getting - like they do in Japan. Not worse than what the people who wait for the boxed sets get (looking at you here, MVM).

I could understand your point if there was only the LE available, but Beez are giving customers a choice by having a Standard Edition too (look at the link Dave posted, it's £12 at CDWOW, on par with Manga's double releases). If people aren't interested in the high-quality tat then there's nothing stopping anyone buying that instead. One set for the fans, one for the casual buyers. It's a strategy I'd like to see all the companies take.

My point is that for £55 they could have included something better than a badge, a patch, and a piece of plastic.

The only people who lose out are those who just want a reasonably priced box (ignoring Amazon since not everyone shops online). I hate Bandai's LEs because I would have liked the art box for, say, Haruhi, but I wasn't prepared to pay double the price of the single for all the crap it included.

ayase said:
I'm very happy because this is the kind of quality people who are willing to buy single volumes should be getting - like they do in Japan. Not worse than what the people who wait for the boxed sets get (looking at you here, MVM).
+1. Very annoying when you support a company by buying the singles and then see them release a boxset that's both cheaper and better.

But nowhere is actually selling it for £55. RRP's are pretty meaningless really, it's only whether something is worth what it's retailing for that matters, and that set is well worth £30-£35. How much do you wanna pay for a nice quality box anyway?

You could stick all the extras on eBay if you wanted, might make you back an extra £5-£10. Before saying that proves your point about the value of the extras :)P) don't forget the box and better DVD packaging itself.

Until recently Beez singles with nothing special about them were retailing for £15-£20, so for a double disc set with all that thrown in it seems to be selling for a fair price to me. Funi / Revelation's starter sets (before it all went horribly wrong) were around £20 for a box and a single volume, so factor in a second volume and you're looking at... £30-£35.

Had I not owned the series I'd have paid £25 for two volumes and a box and £20 for two volumes alone. RRP is meaningless, yes, but also irrelevant in this case since the set would have been discounted regardless of what was included. So had Beez given us a nice chunky Patlabor-style book I probably would have paid £25 to have that and the art box.

Fair enough, so you're in the same position I am with Mushishi then, you want a different product to the one being offered - one that doesn't actually exist, and there's not much either of us can do about that. To my knowledge, no-one has ever offered two volumes with an artbox at all in the UK before now, let alone for £25 retail, after discount.

:p

I may be pointing out the obvious here but the CD-WOW thing is a misprice. It's still there because very few would be silly enough to buy the set for £12 knowing the others will cost £25. £62 for normal edition releases of a 26 episode series is hardly bargain-tastic.

And the LE box is now back-up to £30+. The Amazon price for that was also obviously a misprice - both versions were selling for the same price. Amazon are currently selling for £9 cheaper than elsewhere, so even the £30 price will probably jump up further soon.

Aion said:
£62 for normal edition releases of a 26 episode series is hardly bargain-tastic.
Eh? Essentially £10 a disc (or arguably even less) if it was released as singles? Perfectly good value.

£10 for a single DVD is throwing money away. DVDs are basically given away these days, new movies fast dropping to £3 new.

Not everyone pays £30 for imported Japanese goods. Most people are sane.

Aion said:
£10 for a single DVD is throwing money away. DVDs are basically given away these days, new movies fast dropping to £3 new.
Yeah, but they aren't anime dvds, they're big studio releases being dropped in price because they're being replaced by blu-ray versions. Anime isn't, and much of it isn't likely to be given that a lot of the stuff popular in the West from the past few years was digitally animated in standard definition.

£10 a disc is a fair price for anime, if said discs are good quality in every way, as these Lagann releases are. It's worth saying too that this is still nowhere near what Japanese releases cost. £200 for a series box isn't out of the question over there.

Also, just because things are mispriced, so what? Saying "but that's a misprice" doesn't change the fact that some of us were able to pay that for it. I may have only paid £25, but I'd have gladly paid £35.

Even anime DVDs have been going for cheap. DVDs being given away isn't limited to mainstream stuff, though live-action TV series and movie do still go for less.

Most consumers don't care about why anime is over-priced, they simply care that they're not getting the same value for money they would if they picked up a live-action series instead. Wrong or not, that's the way it is.

You been seeing how hard Play have been trying to get rid of anime recently, yes?

I never pay more than £6 per DVD. Any more than that and I'm missing the chance of spending money on other series. Soon DVDs will lose all value, and it's already hard to resell anime on eBay because of a lack of interest.

And, in case you're unaware, a misprice is something that doesn't last; something that very few people get lucky with. Rather than it being a good price, it's an error. That's the difference between deals and mistakes.

Simply out, in my mind, Lagann is a 7-8/10 series. DtB is a 7-8/10 series. Claymore is a 9/10 series. So, why should I pay around £62 (estimate, obviously) to collect the standard releases of TTGL and £36 for the other two titles? It isn't that good and is clearly over-priced. It'd be different if TTGL was worthy of all its praise and was more than something only idiots rate highly, though it'd still be over-priced.

Aion said:
Lagann is a 100/10 series. DtB is a 7-8/10 series. Claymore is a 6-7/10 series. So, why should I not have the privilege to pay around £62 (estimate, obviously) to collect the standard releases of TTGL and £36 for the crap titles? It is very good and is clearly under-priced. It'd be different if TTGL wasn't worthy of all its praise and was more than something only people gifted with high intellect rate highly, though it'd still be under-priced.

Fixed
sorry it was just bugging me :)

@Aion - I think it boils down to what people want. I'd rather pay more for those Claymore and Darker Than Black volumes if they came in packaging like Lagann did, you'd rather Lagann was released in the same way those series' were. You prefer Manga's approach, I prefer Beez's (if that's the correct way to pluralise Beez, I dunno).

The fairest and most insulting way to put it, I think, is that I'm shallow and you're a cheapskate. So shallow people like me and ilmaestro prefer Beez, cheapskates like you and Fabio prefer Manga. :p

To be fair, I think there's a difference between being a cheapskate, and wanting value for money. Hence why I am willing to chance a lot more of Manga's releases than anyone else. Because even if it isn't too my taste, I have (a) more episodes to watch and make a judgement and (b) it's a lower price than other anime releases.

I personally have an issue with paying more than £1.50 for an episode of something. Which is roughly the same as Aion's £6 per volume.

Hey, I insulted myself too (along with three others) I'm being fair.

I think both Beez and Manga's releases are value for money now. It didn't used to be the case, but Beez's releases have increased in quality rather than coming down in price, while Manga's have increased in quantity. It's just two different ways of doing things which appeal to two different sections of the anime market.

Perhaps £12 barebones double disc sets and £25-£30 special editions would be the best way for every company to go given this conversation.

Aion said:
Sorry, I was talking about in the real world, never mind though.

99% would go with the normal edition if the gap was so large. That's why Beez are charging so much for their normal releases.

ilmaestro said:
Aion said:
Sorry, I was talking about in the real world, never mind though.

Je ne te pardonnerais jamais tu l'as oublié peut-être! Ce que tu m'as dit ce jour-là.... Ton père est de l'éprouvette au frigorigène.

Quelle láche, toi!

Back