Neon Genesis Evangelion - Blu-Ray edition

Shiroi Hane said:
Well, it means the moratorium has passed in Japan at least. Has the final rebuild film been released over there now?

I think the reason this has happened is because Studio Khara now finally have the rights to the original series and films. There was a legal issue between Gainax and Khara/Anno over the rights which was why it never received a BD before (that and of course waiting for the films to be near complete, I will assume 3.0+1.0 will be out by the end of the year or early 2016).

black1blade said:
I hope anime limited releases a downgraded version of this.

Considering Manga is the one distributing the rebuilds, I'd put my money on them getting the license if this ever comes to the UK. Although I do hope it is Anime Limited who gets it, Eva is one of like 5 shows where I'd actually be ready and willing to drop £100 on a Collector's Set and they always seem to do great Collector's Edition sets.

I'm also hoping Anime Ltd can pick this up. They are the only company capable of producing the epic packaging a release such as this deserves.

I'm seriously getting goosebumps just thinking about this, the fact is that every release thus far of NGE has had various quality / sound / missing part issues so this blu-ray has the potential to finally provide fans with a definitive release.

Heck, I'd even splurge twice that £100 if it was truly well done (although do think pricing similar to Gurren Lagann would be more appropriate).

IncendiaryLemon said:
If that came from Madman wouldn't it only apply to Australia?
Why would they specifically prevent only Australia from re-releasing Eva TV? And isn't it odd that co-incidentally it hasn't been re-released anywhere else in the meantime either?

Sylvester Ip said:
Unfortunately The EVA movies and TV series are out of print, we would love to be able to renew them, but this simply isn't possible until at the very earliest after the final renewal movie is released. We appreciate everyone's patience, we too want to be able to release these.
http://madboards.madman.com.au/viewtopi ... ht=#876329

IncendiaryLemon said:
black1blade said:
I hope anime limited releases a downgraded version of this.

Considering Manga is the one distributing the rebuilds, I'd put my money on them getting the license if this ever comes to the UK. Although I do hope it is Anime Limited who gets it, Eva is one of like 5 shows where I'd actually be ready and willing to drop £100 on a Collector's Set and they always seem to do great Collector's Edition sets.

ADV had the TV Series, which we all know is defunct other than 101 Anime re-releasing a few shows on DVD (and more recently a BD that's a copy of Sentai Filmworks US Release). MangaUK had the movies...

Basically Anime Limited getting hold of the TV Series (for DVD re-release or even Blu-ray release) is technically possible.

Hmmm. Anyone know if Manga still have the licence for EoE? I would have guessed it would have lapsed. Considering Anime Ltd got hold of baccano which is a much later Manga property which has got to bode well for the possibility that Anime Ltd could pick this up... Having the films in this set would be a major contributing factor to how awesome it could be. Especially considering the terrible quality of all EoE releases we've seen in this country so far.

Manga doesn't have EOE anymore. The rights expired before 2010. Three distributors were able to relicenc it again in France (2013), Spain (2012?) and Italy (2010) with a remastered picture & audio.

If you rewatch some of the classics ADV discs, it's so ironic to see them talking about putting together the live action EVA - look where that ended up...

Shiroi Hane said:
I'm actually a bit vague on whether it is Manga or FUNimation who holds the UK rights to the rebuilds.

It's definitely Manga as far as I know - their logo is all over the discs. Imagine it's the same as all the other stuff Manga sub-licenses to the UK via Funimation.

The FUNimation logo is on there too.
It's relevant to "Considering Manga is the one distributing the rebuilds, I'd put my money on them getting the license if this ever comes to the UK" - if Manga is sub-licensing it then FUNimation is the master licensor. If FUNimation gets the UK license to the TV series and that license includes the UK as well, then Manga will almost certainly have to be the ones who release it here (there are exceptions where MVM has released a title previously, but ADV aren't around any more)

Back