My Little Pony Friendship Is Magic...why do guys like this?

Invisible Crane

Adventurer
For the past few months I've come to notice that a lot of guys my age have taken a liking to this show. And I don't understand why, it's just MLP to me was always a girl-centered franchise and to see this new show develop a following amonst males surprises me.

Am I missing something here?

Because, It's surprisingly a legit show.

Plus, it's made by the guy who did Powerpuff Girls/Foster's Home's fiancee (who also worked on those shows)

<object width="640" height="390"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/WhOlAU4t9Hs?version=3&amp;hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/WhOlAU4t9Hs?version=3&amp;hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="640" height="390" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true"></embed></object>

what more do you need?

i still think it's panty and stockings with ponys aimed at kids

Edit: para blatently admiting to watching it then :D

Ryo Chan said:
<object width="640" height="390"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/WhOlAU4t9Hs?version=3&amp;hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/WhOlAU4t9Hs?version=3&amp;hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="640" height="390" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true"></embed></object>

what more do you need?

i still think it's panty and stockings with ponys aimed at kids

Thats fan-made right? :eek:

I didn't even know there was a new My Little Pony cartoon, I was aware they'd redesigned the toys as my missus ranted about it a few weeks ago. Do any of the UK channels show the new cartoon yet as my daughter loves MLP (or anything with animals in it really...)

Ryo Chan said:
I have the whole first season in 720p WEB-DL's. Haven't watched most of them. :lol:

Jaymii said:
It's going to begin on Cartoon Network or one of it's affiliates soon I believe.
Yeah, Turner picked up the license for The Hub's shows in Europe.

Thanks, although she barely watches TV at the moment, she prefers to play out, so I cant even use her as an excuse to watch Phineas and Ferb or Kick Buttowski :(

Jaymii said:
P&F is hilarious. It's no iCarly, but you know, not much is.
iCarly?!

What is it with people liking that show?!

It's like 30 Rock. Everyone seems to love it, but it just seems like another generic sitcom to me.

"shitcom" more like, all of Disney's live action stuff is absolutely dire. I don't even have to tell my little girl that I don't like her watching Disney's idea of how girls should behave because she doesn't even find the shows entertaining.

30 Rock was good in it's first couple of years but its a show that relies solely on jokes and I found that tiresome. There's only so much Tina Fey slagging herself off I could take. Parks & Rec is the comedy that's well worth the hype.

Re: iCarly. The actors have become kinda talented now. Really good comic timing and less cringe. The recent "iOMG" episode has made me a Seddie shipper, too. Ha! It's a much stronger show than anything on CBS that isn't HIMYM.

Riva, it's Nick. Created by Dan Schneider who has a long history doing decent kids TV.

RivaOni said:
"shitcom" more like, all of Disney's live action stuff is absolutely dire. I don't even have to tell my little girl that I don't like her watching Disney's idea of how girls should behave because she doesn't even find the shows entertaining.
iCarly's a Nickelodeon show.

Disney's the worst. Nickelodeon has a fair amount of great shows. But neither of them come close to CN :lol:

Jaymii said:
30 Rock was good in it's first couple of years but its a show that relies solely on jokes and I found that tiresome. There's only so much Tina Fey slagging herself off I could take. Parks & Rec is the comedy that's well worth the hype.

Re: iCarly. The actors have become kinda talented now. Really good comic timing and less cringe. The recent "iOMG" episode has made me a Seddie shipper, too. Ha! It's a much stronger show than anything on CBS that isn't HIMYM.

Riva, it's Nick. Created by Dan Schneider who has a long history doing decent kids TV.
I only saw a few episodes from the first season. It was incredibly cringe-worthy. The whole premise seems rediculous. They make one episode of a web-show and suddenly they're insanely popular and everyone's at their house partying. Makes no sense! :?

Calling Dan Schneider's stuff 'decent' is a huge understatement, though. Kenan and Kel, anyone?

Meh, all the live shows feel like they're by the same people and involving the same people. They're ridiculously cookie cutter in their presentation and really heavily buy into the High-School Musical/Camp Rock/Hannah Montanna "You're all special, especially if you happen to be incredibly good looking and smiley" feeling thats being forced down kids necks in order for them to buy all the merchandise.

Paradox295 said:
Calling Dan Schneider's stuff 'decent' is a huge understatement, though. Kenan and Kel, anyone?
He's amazing. I used to adore Zoey 101 for some weird reason too. I've mainly been watching season four episodes though. They've become a bit more serialized lately. The geeks from Drake & Josh turned up when they went to Webicon, an internet convention and a shipping war started. Does mess with the continuity bug since... that isn't Megan. :p

I keep meaning to watch this, it does seem to have "something" behind it, but one of the main things putting me off is that I see a lot of people on other forums who I generally regard as ****s trying to be overly cool by making a big thing of liking it.

Back