My-Hime Anime legends Ep 17 Error (Region 2)

Ryo Chan said:
MAL has it as Mai-hime
MAL is also open for editting by the fanboys.

I mean, you're free to call it Mai Hime, but the official name is My Hime. Clearly there was a decision made, and for whatever reason Bandai went with My rather than Mai. Both are correct, neither is wrong, but by virtue of the official distributors in the west using "My" rather than "Mai", My-HiME is more right than Mai-HiME. (and Mai-Otome makes much less sense, since Arika is the main character there, and the series isn't called "Arika-Otome")

HiME is bad Engrish (Highly-advanced Materialising Equipment), and got played with the princess definition in show. My-HiME still has a wordplay in it just a different one to 舞-HiME. Bellonging/possesion as opposed to (to) dance, still both puns on the protaganists name.(舞衣)

beez_andrew said:
Ryo Chan said:
well they're as big as idiots as bandai then as the title "mai" is clearly a play on the main characters name

Given both professional and unprofessional translators have translated it as "My-HiME" I'd infer that it was a fanboy-ish desire that the name is solely a play on her name.

I'm not versed on that translation nuance I admit but unless you can cite evidence otherwise I think you could infer it was a multi-layered play. As "My" is still phonetically the same as "Mai" - just a different spelling so there's bound to be a reason for that.

Of course I could easily be wrong on this but keep in mind that it still could be a play on the main character's name - just laced with another play too :).

That's just my view on it anyway!

On the audio front I'll check it out, not a great deal I can do about it now but I'll investigate what the cause was at least...

Andrew,
Beez Entertainment

Thanks, still looking forward to more Anime Legends collections in the future.

HiME is not "bad Engrish" (although it's not exactly a catchy piece of jargon, it is not incorrect in English), it's not Engrish at all. It's a backronym designed to play on the Japanese word "hime" (as you say) inspired by the Odakyuu HiSE train.

The word play is also not "different" it is just slightly more limited. The Japanese title is already a three way pun on the English word "my" and the moe connotations therein, Mai's name, and the "dance" that the HiME Festival is sometimes referred to as in the show. In English, the play on the name becomes slightly less visual and more verbal, and it essentially loses the "dance" aspect completely.

I like "My-HiME" as the English title, though (although I would never refer to the show as such). I think if you make it "Mai-HiME", it looks too much like it is just a play on Mai's name, whereas the Japanese title benefits from it only being the first kanji in her name.

memorium said:
i think the original topic has gotten lost in what title looks better :lol:
I guess thats my fault :p I'm gonna finish off the series with the last disc sometime tomorrow night and i'll post if there are any other problems with it.

The main reason I always championed My-HiME was this:
http://www.sunrise-inc.co.jp/my-hime/

As for My Otome.. it was annoying that the fansubbers and the Wikipedia editors who think they walk on water still insisted on calling it Mai Otome when Mai wasn't only not even a main character any more but wasn't even in it at first. And as for all the "Mai Star" stuff which only finally got knocked on the head after "Meister" actually appeared on screen...

Just finished the last disc and there are no other problems (For the dub) that i had with my boxset. So other than episode 17 mine are all good, so I'm considering buying vol.5 (R1) from America and replacing the disc from my collection with that, unless someone can tell me if that suffers from the same problem.

Back