MVM's massive boxset special offer

Warmaster said:
Right, i've got the box. everything works, but not watched anything properly yet.

My question is, does anyone know where we can download the 'proper' dvd covers from the internet? if i follow any of these series, i want the covers to match!

Again i ask?

Bought the first box set myself today from the works shop in macclesfield, this is the first time i have ever seen anime sold in retail stores, thanks for the heads up on this looking forward to watching them :)

DSC00035.jpg

Wavey said:
WTFDaveMustaine said:
Wavey said:
do the dvd's have both dub and sub tracks? :)
Not You're Under Arrest, which is a shame because that's the one I was interested in. Still enjoyed it though.

but the rest do?
According to what I know (I don't have these sets but I do own these titles individually) they are identical to the MVM releases of the same anime so the rest will have Japanese audio with English subtitles as an option. Urusei Yatsura, if I remember rightly only has Japanese audio (it's been ages since I watched these myself). You're Under Arrest was one of MVM's early DVD releases before they began releasing dual-audio DVDs with any frequency. It isn't a bad dub so I wasn't too disappointed with that myself.

excellent! just so I know, what with haiban renmai and serial experiments lain in there! really wanted to see those so am well excited hehe :D

Incidently, i just put on Vampire Princess Miyu - and though the box art is that of volume 4 - the actual DVD is the first volume.

i was rather confused there for a while!

And can i ask again? is there anywhere to download the 'proper' covers?

I've just ordered both boxes (with free delivery-nice!) and even though I have quite a few of the titles in them, there's plenty more that I've been waiting to pick up cheaper than the usual online 'full price' of around £15.
And the bonus is that the ones I already own will become handy christmas pressies!

This could be a decent strategy for all the companies, releasing first volumes at a budget price to tempt people into following a series. It would also tempt people to try more stuff out and perhaps find new favourites they otherwise wouldn't have.

While I think it's a good idea and all I think most people after buying a boxset will look for the next volume of there favourite serise see the price compared to the boxset and just go '**** th*t' and not buy anymore. Unless they reallly like the series.

Went into The Works in Slough and couldn't find it. Went to ask the lady at the desk and the conversation proceeded thus:

ME: Uh hi I was looking on the Internet and apparentely you have a boxset of anime for £15

LADY: ...

ME: I was just wondering if you had any in stock

LADY: ...

ME: ...

LADY: ...anime?

*sigh* I suppose it's Internet shopping time again then. AND I went to buy the Sims 2 Christmas pack and they didn't have it in stock. AND a cash machine swallowed my card. Things just don't work on Sunday do they?

Got my copy of the first boxset yesterday, as has already been said the packaging is 'workmanlike' at best but the titles in that set are ones that I just wanted to sample rather than have the gold plated versions of ;) . Don't think I'll bother with the second set, it's a nice spread of titles but I already have four of them and for three of the others (Paranoia Agent, Lain and Gungrave) I'd rather get a decent edition.

Well seen as im doing a computing and business course I have to say clever MVM. So now people will go out buy the real first volumes of the series they like then buy the rest. Your buying a big advertisement reel. Great price but not so when you look at it. Ill refrain from buying.

Paul ace avatar by the way.

havent seen second box set as of yet, hoping it comes next month, else im going to have to order it from the net, or get someone to buy it from the london works shops

ZAFF said:
Well seen as im doing a computing and business course I have to say clever MVM. So now people will go out buy the real first volumes of the series they like then buy the rest. Your buying a big advertisement reel. Great price but not so when you look at it. Ill refrain from buying.

Paul ace avatar by the way.

ZAFF, I was wondering how long it would be before someone started complaining about the whole idea :roll: Its very simple. Each DVD £10 -15 new, individually. In these boxes £1.50. It an excellent oppitunity to try out new animes you've never seen before. If you ever wanted to see any of the animes in them, this is the perfect time. Just consider it one anime with nine free.

I'm sorry if you consider that an advertisement reel.

well the idear of it is to be a advertisement reel and mvm are amidmited to that already.
but for that price who cares. and its not like you are forced to get the next vols of the serie.

You're right valha. Like most special offers its main aim is to draw in customers to buy something else. I just found the idea that it was just an advertisement hard to shallow. There's plenty of good anime, and at an unusually good price (i.e. cheaper than crack). To complain about the offer is extremely petty.

Oh No. I recieved this box, and it was missing half the DVD's. No ranma 1/2, no bubblegum, no love hina, just two sets of 5 dvd's! does anyone no what i should to to get my other copies?

fishbag said:
Oh No. I recieved this box, and it was missing half the DVD's. No ranma 1/2, no bubblegum, no love hina, just two sets of 5 dvd's! does anyone no what i should to to get my other copies?

That really sucks. Did you order it from the website? I checked and I found a phone number and an e-mail address at the bottom of the main page, maybe you could contact them?

http://www.theworks-art-books-music.com/shop/index.php

Sorry if this doesn't help. u_u

Ork_dreadnought said:
Has anyone seen the 2nd box yet?

Both my boxes arrived this morning.

No discs missing (though I haven't looked inside the cases yet), all 20 DVDs are there.
I don't know what happened to your boxes fishbag but I would e-mail them ASAP. Did you order them from the site?

I already own 9 of these discs but it still works out as 11 DVDs for £30, less than £3 each with lots of duplicates to give to friends and get them hooked!

ZAFF, I don't understand your reasoning. Yes, it is a marketing ploy as MVM freely admit, but how is it in any way a catch to the anime fan?
Just as Ork said, there's nothing that forces you to buy the rest of the series, but if you were interested in more than one DVD in the box you save money straight away and have 8 other discs to have a peek at or give to friends.
I really can't see an insiduous side to this.

If it hooks into buying a series, it's because you obviously enjoy that series, and therefore it's a good thing as it allows you to collect the series that little bit cheaper!

15 DVDs at once make me happy!

Capuchin said:
I already own 9 of these discs but it still works out as 11 DVDs for £30, less than £3 each with lots of duplicates to give to friends and get them hooked!

Which was pretty much what I was going to do as I gradually replace them. I've got a couple of friends at Uni who should be appreciative of a few freebies!

Back