MVM's massive boxset special offer

Good grief! That's even better than that first pack. Lots of mind-bending and thought provoking anime in that with Tsukihime, Paranoia Agent, Lain and Texhnolyze :).

OK, I'm buying this second box set for sure. I said the first box set was a perfect christmas present but I lied, it's the second box set for sure! It contains no less than 5 series I consider masterpieces. A great deal.

Re: Another Set.

DP said:
Just checking but these are 100% legit right? It just seems too good to be true.
According to the response to a query on the Anime on DVD forums reported on this website they are perfectly legitimate. The packaging is cheap, the discs aren't picture labelled but the content is equivalent to the standalone release (from what I have heard from those who have watched them).

I got my Works Anime Pack 1 today!
It's exactly what you think for ??14.99. the packaging is a bit flimsy but is decent enough for the price!
I took some pictures to give everyone a better idea:

The outer box isn't that bad with various photoshopped slapped together pictures! It fits in all the DVDs together nicely.

A sample DVD front. They all look like this.

And the DVD itself is rather plain with no inlays.

But it's so cheap! I've ordered Pack 2 now, which has even better anime! It's a great bargain for anyone who doesn't know what anime is to give them a taste. For cheapskates like me - it's worth it! :D
________
FREE VAPORIZER

As much as I hate MVM I cannot deny that this is a great deal. The first box doesn't really interest me because I already own all the ones that I'm bothered about(Love Hina, Trigun, Oh My Goddess, You're Under Arrest). The second set I might pick up however just to try out Mini Goddess, Texhnolyze and Paranoia Agent before I import them.

Afterwards I can always wrap it back up and give it away as a christmas present. ;)

I found this in Booksale in town last week and practically tripped over in shock (It is very rare to find anything anime related in Evesham =_=;; ) told my friend and she bought it the next day. I have to wait for Christmas :(

Is this true about the 2nd DVD set? That is freaking awesome I will definately keep an eye out. :D

Honestly, I doubt I'm going to bother with these sets, but I have to say, they're a really awesome way to introduce the mainstream to anime. Let's look at this:

1) Incredibly cheap price for the number of volumes you're getting

2) Good variety of titles across several genre's and themes

3) It's not playing on the stereotypical 'violence/cyberpunk/pokemon' groupings that are often expected of anime. Haibane Renmei? Paranoia Agent? Lain? Wow, I honestly don't think they could have picked their spread better.

4) Did I mention it was cheap?

I got it today. It seems mine was roughed up a bit, so I'm reserving judgement until I've had a chance to watch the DVDs I'm concerned about.

Even so, it's cracking value, and the selection is excellent.

Hmmm, interesting, i might think about getting this, it's certainly a good offer, very cheap, though i do have a fair few of them already, and don't want a fair few of the others that much

Edit: Though having just looked at the other topic with the boxset, i have to say that i am alot more interested in that one :)

Considering the price this isn't a bad deal, the DVDs themselves, however, leave a lot to be desired, the packaging in particular is just plain ugly. For first time buyers I can't think of a finer introduction to the wonderful world of anime, but serious collectors would be better off pursuing the proper releases. On another negative note my boxset shipped with two copies of the third Urusei movie, instead of the first vol of BGC, but considering the price I'm willing to forgive the blunder.

Animated FatCat said:
See this kind of thing is actually anathema to me, even though its cheap and I know its aimed at anime newcomers. With so many series I've already got on dvd and on the computer, I simply don't have the time or desire to preview loads of stuff at once, a few episodes of this, a few of that etc. etc.,

I'd rather just buy one complete series at a time than have about 40 episodes of various series (which is why following several series on fansubs is so annoying).

Yeah, but like you said, it's not really aimed at you. They're just trying to introduce anime to other areas of the market.

Right, i've got the box. everything works, but not watched anything properly yet.

My question is, does anyone know where we can download the 'proper' dvd covers from the internet? if i follow any of these series, i want the covers to match!

Paranoia Agent said:
On another negative note my boxset shipped with two copies of the third Urusei movie, instead of the first vol of BGC, but considering the price I'm willing to forgive the blunder.

Thats unlucky, but like you said when its that cheap you can't get to mad.

subedii said:
Animated FatCat said:
See this kind of thing is actually anathema to me, even though its cheap and I know its aimed at anime newcomers. With so many series I've already got on dvd and on the computer, I simply don't have the time or desire to preview loads of stuff at once, a few episodes of this, a few of that etc. etc.,

I'd rather just buy one complete series at a time than have about 40 episodes of various series (which is why following several series on fansubs is so annoying).

Yeah, but like you said, it's not really aimed at you. They're just trying to introduce anime to other areas of the market.

I have to agree; I'm not going to purchase either box, partially because there are few titles in both I do not have, and I have no real desire to purchase either. The only use for me would be as a gift to someone to hook them onto anime.

I guess if someone who has never considered anime before, or just had a marginal interest in anime (perhaps one of those who watches Ghost In The Shell but nothing else) picks this up, it can be considered a success. The wide variety of series, especially in the second, masterpiece-filled set, is certainly enough to draw anyone willing to watch animation into anime.

Back