MVM's massive boxset special offer

Paul

Ghost of Animes
Administrator
In what must qualify as the bargain deal of the year, online UK DVD store The Works are <a href="http://www.theworks-art-books-music.com/shop/product.php?xProd=1455&xSec=46">selling a "boxset"</a> of 10 anime DVDs for just £14.99. This legitimate special offer, in association with MVM, includes the first volumes of Trigun, Ninja Scroll and Love Hina as well as the Bubblegum Crisis Collection.

MVM's Tony Allen has been quoted (<a href="http://forums.animeondvd.com/showthreaded.php?Cat=&Number=1200078&page=0&view=collapsed&sb=5&o=&vc=1">AnimeOnDVD forums</a>) as saying "(This) represents a promotional campaign made up largely of volume 1's. The idea being to get the non-traditional anime market interested in anime and hopefully buy the rest of the series at standard price from traditional retail. The outer box will carry the Boulevard brand but the individual DVDs should all still carry MVM marks." [<a href="http://www.theworks-art-books-music.com/shop/product.php?xProd=1455&xSec=46">The Works</a>] [<a href="http://www.ukanime.com/">UK Anime</a>]

I was seriously contemplating getting this for my son for Xmas (and removing Ninja Scroll of course!) and then I noticed they only accept card payments :(

There are plenty of The Works stores in many town centres that I have noticed so it could be an option to try and find a local store. There's a store finder on their site that might help you to locate one.

I decided to grab one while I could, just to get my mitts on the You're Under Arrest OVAs and Ranma 1/2 movie at a knock down price. I question the quality of the actual release, but as long as the DVDs do the business, i.e actually play, I'll be happy.

safe to assume that the titles in those sets didn't do half as well as they were supposed to? or are they otherwise intended as a springboard for selling the rest of a series?

Gawyn said:
There are plenty of The Works stores in many town centres that I have noticed so it could be an option to try and find a local store. There's a store finder on their site that might help you to locate one.
Gawyn this is totally unrelated but what show is your avatar from? I've been trying to find out what it was ever since I saw a clip of that angel girl lopping the top half of this guys head off.

According to the response Tony Allen gave it is an attempt to woo people (who are not necessarily anime fans) into watching and buying the rest of the series and potentially gaining new anime fans in the process. In respect of it I do think it provides a good opportunity to sample a wide variety of different anime since the titles on offer are quite diverse in their content and cover a good spectrum of what anime has to offer.

WTFDaveMustaine said:
Gawyn said:
Gawyn this is totally unrelated but what show is your avatar from? I've been trying to find out what it was ever since I saw a clip of that angel girl lopping the top half of this guys head off.

It is Dokuro-chan from Bokusatsu Tenshi Dokuro-chan (Club-to-death Angel Dokuro-chan or Beat-to-death Angel Dokuro-chan depending on whose translation you read)

Shame I'm not at uni anymore as there were two The Works stores in town, but ordered this online anyway, Love Hina is the only one I already have so might as well give the rest a look for a bargain price.

There's a The Works in my local High Street but I've never seen any anime or manga. In fact most of the staff don't even know what it is whenever I go and ask! This is certainly a great buy though. Am very, very tempted.

Lol, who are The Works? i have never heard of them before. But this collection looks brilliant. Although i have got most of them already, i will probably buy this collection just for the ones i haven't got e.g. the VERY rare Bubblegum Crisis Collection, (that i made another post about yesturday), what perfect timing! and this means i will get it half price along with all the other dvd's too!

What an unexpected thing to come home to lol.

But it is pretty expected as the head of MVM quoted at the London Expo 'we[MVM] wouldn't mind giving away the first volumes with a box totally free, as long as people were interested and bought the rest of the series, because we don't make any money on the volume 1's anyway'

:p

DaNiMé said:
Lol, who are The Works? i have never heard of them before. But this collection looks brilliant. Although i have got most of them already, i will probably buy this collection just for the ones i haven't got e.g. the VERY rare Bubblegum Crisis Collection, (that i made another post about yesturday), what perfect timing! and this means i will get it half price along with all the other dvd's too!

The Works are a chain of discount book stores that seem to exist plentifully around the country, and ply their trade in books and cds that no-one bought, along with "film classics" dvd box sets.

DaNiMé said:
the VERY rare Bubblegum Crisis Collection, (that i made another post about yesturday), what perfect timing! and this means i will get it half price along with all the other dvd's too!

This set only contains volume 1 of Bubblegum Crisis, not the entire series (so it won't be the 4 disc boxset you're thinking of).

:( that sucks, i think it's pretty misleading then that they go and call it the 'Bubblegum Crisis Collection', could someone add volume 1 onto the end plz?

thx for the info tho, i was just about to madly buy it lol, but as they're not proper releases, i.e. they have had the names covers altered and the Boulevard label put on, according to someone who has boguht it on the AnimeOnDvd forums...

That's really tmpting actually, since I don't have any of those. Hmm...

A great offer, and a good way of making some new fans. The collection is pretty varied, which is also good.

Paul said:
This is like the most perfect Christmas present ever!

Indeed, its a shame it is more widely available, ie not just for sale in The Works as its perfect for someone who isn't sure what anime series they would like to follow next.

But they said somewhere that the versions are different i.e. they are cheap versions of the dvd's, like the covers have been changed and somewhere on the disks it days Boulevard or sumthing, well i dunno, i'm not too keen on this to be honest :S

EDIT: lol, well i am, just want the proper versions of it though :), don't want any more sound corruption fiasco's like most of the ADV dvd's :S

DaNiMé said:
But they said somewhere that the versions are different i.e. they are cheap versions of the dvd's, like the covers have been changed and somewhere on the disks it days Boulevard or sumthing, well i dunno, i'm not too keen on this to be honest :S

EDIT: lol, well i am, just want the proper versions of it though :), don't want any more sound corruption fiasco's like most of the ADV dvd's :S

Ah, but with nine volumes for a mere £15, can you resist it? :p

Back