MVM to release Disgaea anime

Neferpitou

Stand User
Dave on the forums reported last week that Play.com had Disgaea on their release radar, however at that time we were unaware of who the licence belonged to.
UK Anime have since found out that MVM are the company who have gotten hold of the licence, although their contact is reporting the price at the higher £15.99, compared to that of Play.com.

The following is taken from the <a href="http://www.uk-anime.net">UK Anime site :</a>
Disgaea will be a three volume series which follows the adventures of the Demon Prince <em>Laharl</em>, his minion <em>Etna</em> and Angel-Trainee <em>Flonne</em> as they try to get Laharl to reclaim the throne and become Overlord.

MVM owner, Tony Allen, had this to say about the announment. "Disgaea is a fun series that we are excited about adding to our growing catalogue of fantasy classics."

The Disgaea anime is an adaptation of PlayStation 2 game <strong>Disgaea: Hour of Darkness</strong> released in the UK back in 2004. Since then the original game has been released on PSP with a DS version being prepared.

More information on Disgaea will be announced at the London Expo in May.
&nbsp;

The game on which this anime is based is fantastic - easily one of my all-time favourites. I watched about 3 or 4 episodes of the anime and I was mildly entertained, though I understand the series has been critically panned in general?

Re: Look like Disgaea Anime has been licensed

Dave said:
http://www.play.com/DVD/DVD/-/37/51/-/9188503/Disgaea-Vol-1/Product.html?searchtype=genre

Based off the popular tactical role-playing game, I believe it probably a MVM release as it already been released by Madman.

nothing to get to excited about, just a few ep that pioneer done (or someone can't remember)

It has lots of poor review scores. In my experience, an anime with an average rating of 7/10 on MAL is one to avoid. MAL ratings are usually higher than they should be, with the lowest average rating being around 5.xx (iirc).

I STILL haven't bothered playing the games. My copy of Disgaea 2 is still sealed!

I'll take that copy of Disgaea 2 off you if you'd like :p

Do you have the first game? I've heard it's much better than the second one, which I really need to get around to playing.

I have PAL copies of 1 & 2, as well as a NTSC copy of 2. I just haven't ever got around to starting them because of how long they are and how low my motivation levels are when it comes to gaming. I also have most of the other Nippon Ichi SRPGs... I think the only one I'm missing is Soul Nomad.

If I recall, the first game is a blue disc, and my old PS2 doesn't like blue discs. I have to eep turning the console on and off until it can read it.

Why do you need two copies of Disgaea 2? :s

Nippon Ichi do make very good games, so you should get around to playing them. I have a fairly low motivation for games right now, too, but I'm sure I could play through Disgaea again if I wanted to. It's hilarious, very fun and very addictive. It's the game that got me back into gaming in 2004, so it's a good cure for a jaded gamer I would think.

Good to see its got a chance of being released, shame the quality is somewhat lacking though compared to the game its based off of. I've played both 1 and 2 so far, both thoroughly enjoyable, but yet to play 3. Brother has it and says its far better than the first two, and will have DLC available too, so i'll be looking forward to get a go on it next i'm home.

Disgaea is the first anime series I have ever dropped, the premise was a lot better than the execution. I've been meaning to check out reviews for the new PS3 game. The older ones look good, but I don't have any earlier consoles (other than a NES).

I suppose it might ride on the back of the game's success, but if potential buyers do their research then I don't see it being a big seller.

There were three volumes of DVDs released in the US. I bought them. I liked the show it was quite funny but nothing compared to the best of the style.

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/DNzJMcoVXcQ&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/DNzJMcoVXcQ&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

From the look of the tralier it look quite good, nice to have something different for a change.

Look like Disgaea Anime has been licensed

Dave said:
From the look of the tralier it look quite good, nice to have something different for a change.

Sorry Dave but that's confirmed it for me, I won't be getting this. Thanks for finding though, was good to see a trailer for it.

I kind of enjoyed that trailer. The music in Disgaea is fantastic! :] I think I might pick this up just to add it to my Nippon Ichi collection. I really want to buy the Prinny platforming game that's on PSP, too!

What's so good about La Pucelle: Tactics, then, Retro? I was going to play all of Nippon Ichi's other SRPGs, but I gave up after I was disapointed with Makai Kingdom. Is La Pucelle worth checking out?

Dave on the forums reported a last week that play.com had Disgaea on their release radar however at that time we were unaware of who the licence belonged to.

UK Anime have since found out that MVM are the company who have gotten hold of the licence although they're contact is reporting the price at the higher £15.99 compaired to play.coms.

The following is taken from the <a href="http://www.uk-anime.net">UK Anime site</a>
Disgaea will be a three volume series which follows the adventures of the Demon Prince <em>Laharl</em>, his minion <em>Etna</em> and Angel-Trainee <em>Flonne</em> as they try to get Laharl to reclaim the throne and become Overlord.

MVM owner, Tony Allen, had this to say about the announment. "Disgaea is a fun series that we are excited about adding to our growing catalogue of fantasy classics."

The Disgaea anime is an adaptation of PlayStation 2 game <strong>Disgaea: Hour of Darkness</strong> released in the UK back in 2004. Since then the original game has been released on PSP with a DS version being prepared.

More information on Disgaea will be announced at the London Expo in May.

I think the DS version is already out in Europe, actually?

Anyway, this anime is apparentely fairly awful so even though I adore Disgaea, I think I'll give it a miss.

Back