MVM license Bakemonogatari and Nisemonogatari (DVD/Blu Ray)

Re: MVM license Bakemonogatari and Nisemonogatari (DVD/Blu R

Quite surprised to see this, for some reason I thought these either wouldn't be licensed or Manga would pick them up.

Will MVM be releasing a £100+ version I wonder. :mrgreen:

Wow, just... wow.

I wasn't quite as crazy as Rui to pick up the US release after buying the JP versions, but it will be sweet to own a version with English subs to watch with other people and just to generally support the awesome effort MVM seem to be putting in at the moment.

Very sad to see the Western releases of Nise not get the character commentaries, though.

And geez, how is it nearly four years since Bakemonogatari aired? D:

I didn't buy the AniplexUSA releases due to the price of them, so I'll definitely buy MVM's release. I imagine they will locked to Region B to prevent reverse importation from both Japan and America.

Well these shows certainly seem highly regarded. Will have to see if I have any money, but will certainly try and support these releases. With this and Kids on the Slope, seems like MVM are back in the game.

I'm wondering if they're doing a deal with someone to release this, considering it's 5 discs, and the costs of Creating BDs. MVM are usually not interested in BD unless they find a partner to share the costs. If they want to surprise me by getting Kara no Kyoukai out on BD I'll be overjoyed, DVD only and I'll rage. Hard. Then again MVM don't release movies so it seems kinda unlikely.

Maybe MVM are just starting to build up a relationship with Aniplex so they can get these new bigger titles.
I seem to remember them saying that they were interested in getting Fate/Zero a while ago.
Come to think of it, would this be the first instance of a show getting a UK Sub Only BD?

Is this other sub only announcement a big show or just a normal announcement? Something like Toradora, Ano Hana or Usagi Drop would be nice to see released here. Siren Visual also have Usagi so I wouldn't be surprised. (Well I was right the first time, might as well guess again ;))

Mangaranga said:
I'm wondering if they're doing a deal with someone to release this, considering it's 5 discs, and the costs of Creating BDs. MVM are usually not interested in BD unless they find a partner to share the costs. If they want to surprise me by getting Kara no Kyoukai out on BD I'll be overjoyed, DVD only and I'll rage. Hard. Then again MVM don't release movies so it seems kinda unlikely.

Maybe MVM are just starting to build up a relationship with Aniplex so they can get these new bigger titles.
I seem to remember them saying that they were interested in getting Fate/Zero a while ago.
Come to think of it, would this be the first instance of a show getting a UK Sub Only BD?

Is this other sub only announcement a big show or just a normal announcement? Something like Toradora, Ano Hana or Usagi Drop would be nice to see released here. Siren Visual also have Usagi so I wouldn't be surprised. (Well I was right the first time, might as well guess again ;))

actually isn't kids on the slope a sub-only BD.
i wouldn't be surprised if they were trying to get fate zero, they do have fate/stay night, so they'll probably like to get more of the franchise (wouldn't call it a franchise really but couldn't think of another word), and with some exceptions NIS ans Aniplex release the majority of sub-only releases in US, so if another sub-only release is announced, most people will be guessing from they're pool of shows.
in terms of whether they are sharing the cost or not, they have been using the masters from hanabee lately, who do have the licence to the monogatari series, but they said they were using Aniplex's masters, so i don't know what's happening there, if anyhting happens between hanabee and mvm on this at all

I think Fate definitely qualifies as a "franchise" at this point, fwiw.

I haven't watched a single second of these series, neither know what they are about, but after reading all this enthusiasm I'll put them on my buying list.

Teo

Invisible Crane said:
So whats the big deal about these 2 shows anyway?

well i really love the story, but mostly it's the animation and the dialogue, shaft really put a lot of effort in to the animation, and i find the dialogue really clever and witty, plus it's pretty much harem without all the girls fawning incessantly over the MC.

Invisible Crane said:
One of the highest selling series in Japan for the last decade.(not sure if it's follow up, Madoka Magika, beat it though)

It's just a case of the studio/Director's style fitting the style of the original novels so well.

It's a parody of exactly the same things as Higurashi (visual novels (or their adaptations) and Japanese horror/folk-tale).
The execution is very different though, this is one girl/ plot arc (adding them in one at a time) and very defiantly the actions of Shinto gods(and related youkai et c.).

It's very, very, very dialogue heavy, although any action there is is animated well. The series is carried by it's female lead (Senjougahara, CV: Chiwa Saito) who steals every scene she's in (even if just on the phone) through brilliant writing and portrayal. The cast as a whole is all star, the only newcomer being Hanazawa Kana who launched her career off it. It manages to get away with Austin Powers level visual gags/fanservice and frequent bouts of on-screen text without you caring as you're too engrossed in the characters word games to even notice.

Bakemono is interesting (through sheer mad direction) to watch at the least.
Nisemono is regarded as the weakest of all the novels and it shows in places (there's good reason I won't pay what Aniplex were asking for it, whereas I jumped at Bakemono). The fire sisters are slightly too normal and the service more gratuitous, it's at its best when nothing much is happening on screen.

Invisible Crane said:
Not much they are insanely overhyped,good shows but nothing to get excited about,they are not as have as smart and witty as they think they are and i hated every character in them which really turned me of the series,but no doubt the the style and art and over all production and direction is simply beautiful,you,ll either love them or hate them.

Doraemon666 said:
Invisible Crane said:
Not much they are insanely overhyped,good shows but nothing to get excited about,they are not as have as smart and witty as they think they are and i hated every character in them which really turned me of the series,but no doubt the the style and art and over all production and direction is simply beautiful,you,ll either love them or hate them.

What i'm wondering is how well they'll do here, we have a dozen or so confirmed BD buys here but are the rest of the UK as excited? What we think is good doesn't always translate into numbers at the other end alas

Doraemon666 said:
they are not as have as smart and witty as they think they are
You're free to dislike the characters and the general tone of the show as much as you like, but NISIOISIN's wordplay is on a level where the most you could say here is that you personally don't connect with the humor and intelligence of the writing - if you can't see that that humor and intelligence is there regardless of your preferences, that's a shame, but nothing to do with the quality of the series.

Just checked these out again on ANN and noticed both say fan service under themes, seems to be quite the in thing in the UK.

Don't think they'll be my kinda shows, also states "comedy". Definitely not my genre but as always hope it sells well, especially on Blu-ray. After all the more they sell the more they'll release and the more chance I'll get some shows that I'll like :lol:

Does anyone know how much renting / streaming anime on places like LoveFilm and Netflix supports the UK industry in comparison to buying. Reason I ask is because I have added a lot of older titles to my rental list on LoveFilm that I've not wanted to buy but wouldn't mind giving a go (I.e. Samurai 7). Just thinking I could do it with shows I've no interest in just to support it. Guess its gotta be better than not bothering at all but wondered if anyone knew.

With Bakemonogatari, I'm looking forward to seeing how the series looks on BD, as I recall that the Shaft were struggling to get all the animation done during its airing run. Never did see the final two episodes that came out months after the series finished. It was one of the first series I watched after getting into anime, so I doubt I got any of the parodies or references - will be fun to watch it now and see what jumps out at me.

VoxPhantom said:
With Bakemonogatari, I'm looking forward to seeing how the series looks on BD, as I recall that the Shaft were struggling to get all the animation done during its airing run. Never did see the final two episodes that came out months after the series finished. It was one of the first series I watched after getting into anime, so I doubt I got any of the parodies or references - will be fun to watch it now and see what jumps out at me.
They fixed all the animation for the BDs, to the point they had to delay releases by months to get it all finished (it was selling massively, so they could get away with it).

Back